Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?

What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/16 1:50 PM, Bill Moinihan wrote:
What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

You might try a search for "led shop light" or "led troffer light".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2016 2:50 PM, Bill Moinihan wrote:
What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

Are they T12? If so, you can go to T8 by changing the ballast in each,
though you will also need T8 bulbs (smaller dia).

If you want to change the entire fixtures, then I suggest LEDs. Prices
are dropping. A two lamp fixture of an LED will replace the 4 lamp
fluorescent in light output. In addition, the LEDs will just about last
a lifetime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2016 2:50 PM, Bill Moinihan wrote:
What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

Inexpensive it porcelain fixture incandescent bulbs. Best is LED
lighting but a typical 4' fixture is $40 and up. Should last many years
though
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

Maybe not inexpensive, but Home Depot sells some 2 LED shop lights for
about $ 40. I put some in the basement a year or two ago to solve the
same problem.

I have not lookid into it,but have heard that you can get some LED tubes
to replace the flourescent ones. I want to say the ballast has to come
out,but not sure. You may be able to get by with just 2 tubes in each
ficture as the LEDs seem to be brighter.

Maybe less expensive,but don't think I would want to do it is to put in
a bunch of the regular light bulb sockets and put the LED bulbs in them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/16 11:50 AM, Bill Moinihan wrote:
What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

costco

4’ Linkable LED Shop Light with Pull Chain, 2-pack

Item #1057373
Your Price59.99$
Shipping & Handling Included*

Features:
Feit Electric 42W
4000K Soft White
3700 Lumens
50,000 Hours
2-pack

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 15:14:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Best is LED lighting but a typical 4' fixture is $40 and up. Should last many years
though

BIL [EE] convinced me about LED a few weeks ago. If "you have to
climb a ladder or replace failing lights - go with LED, they cost more
but save on energy cost." In the long run. Makes sense to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

That is actually a 2'x4' lay-in fluorescent fixture. There are LED retrofit kits available. I would get a retro kit that does not use the existing ballast. As far as quick, cheap, and simple, you will have to make your own determination.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Moinihan" wrote in message
What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a
good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

Everyone is touting LEDs but IME they are not ready for prime time.

About a year ago, I bought three circular LEDs for our bathrooms. Within 4
months, 2 of the 3 were flickering so badly they were unuseable. They were
replaced with incandescent using fixtures, bye-bye flicker. Now the third
is flickering and it too will be replaced.

The flourescent bulbs in my garage have been there 20 years, same for 6 out
of 10 in my shop. If it were me, I would replace the four bulb with
diffuser units you now have with two bulb strip T-8 units, (sans diffuser,
the diffuser eats up about 1/2 of the light emitted). Those units are about
$25 at a borg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 18:50:14 -0000 (UTC), Bill Moinihan
wrote:

What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

Watch: How It's Made LED Tubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DztJtSFa8

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2016 5:30 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Everyone is touting LEDs but IME they are not ready for prime time.

About a year ago, I bought three circular LEDs for our bathrooms. Within 4
months, 2 of the 3 were flickering so badly they were unuseable. They were
replaced with incandescent using fixtures, bye-bye flicker. Now the third
is flickering and it too will be replaced.

Perhaps the circular bulbs are not ready, but the regular screw in have
been for a long time. So far I have about a dozen of them, the oldest
about 3 years. They are getting cheaper too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 5:29:27 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

sams club sells 2 brite fluroscent equivalents for 34 bucks.

i am going to replace nearl all my fluroscent shop lights.....

the fixtures are over 30 years old, new lamps dont last...

the LEDs look awesome. save your receipt, and return if they dont work well
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Bill,

What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent
lights? https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg
There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4
flourescent bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making
humming sounds. In a word, they suck.
So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a
good but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

There's an old saying... You get what you pay for. If you want lighting
that is going to perform well and last, you will need to spend a little
more.

Decent fluorescent fixtures with T8 Bulbs and electronic ballast will cost
about $50 each (not including bulbs). But they come on instantly (even in
cold weather), don't have any flicker, and don't make any noise. One
example are these fixtures at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...2-Light-White-
Ballast-Ceiling-Flushmount-LB-2-32-MVOLT-MVIS/202591813

Earlier this year I upgraded the lights in my garage/shop using the
fixtures above. I have a web page and video showing the steps and methods I
used:

http://www.watsondiy.com/20160201-shoplights.htm

I had hoped to use LED lights, but LED shop lights cost twice as much and
put out less light (fewer lumens). Since I only use my garage lights
occasionally, the lower power usage wouldn't really make much difference in
the long run. So I stayed with the fluorescent fixtures.

My original T8 lights were almost 15 years old, but were still working
great. So I was able to keep those and just add more fixtures to keep costs
down.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
[...]

I just replaced my shoplight that sits over my work bench with a 4 foot
LED from Home Depot. About $39. Very happy with the result even if the
price is high.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Just as with any other product, there are many variables to consider and
in the case of LEDs, manufacture is key. There are cheap LEDs and there
are quality LEDs. You may have purchased cheap China brand LEDs with
cheap drivers.

IMO, thus far, I think Cree products are top notch and one can't go
wrong when purchasing one of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

I had hoped to use LED lights, but LED shop lights cost twice as much and
put out less light (fewer lumens). Since I only use my garage lights
occasionally, the lower power usage wouldn't really make much difference in
the long run. So I stayed with the fluorescent fixtures.

This is my dilemma, exactly.

I love all the ideas, which all end up though, at:
a. Keep the old system (cheapest in the short term)
b. Switch to LEDs (expensive in the short term)

Long term, I don't think anyone argues LEDs aren't better.
I'm in a cash crunch though, with lights going out, one by one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 15:07:37 -0400, Meanie wrote:

In addition, the LEDs will just about last
a lifetime.

Who's lifetime?
Thats a very vague term.

Could it be the lifetime of a mosquito (a dew days), or is it just the
lifetime of the bulb itself? (which could be anywhere from 1 second to
100 years)....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 12:30:15 PM UTC-5, Bill Moinihan wrote:

Long term, I don't think anyone argues LEDs aren't better.
I'm in a cash crunch though, with lights going out, one by one.

I think you answered your question of what to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 13:53:21 -0500, wrote:

(a dew days)

That should have said a FEW DAYS !!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 17:30:12 -0000 (UTC), Bill Moinihan
wrote:

HerHusband wrote:

I had hoped to use LED lights, but LED shop lights cost twice as much and
put out less light (fewer lumens). Since I only use my garage lights
occasionally, the lower power usage wouldn't really make much difference in
the long run. So I stayed with the fluorescent fixtures.

This is my dilemma, exactly.

I love all the ideas, which all end up though, at:
a. Keep the old system (cheapest in the short term)
b. Switch to LEDs (expensive in the short term)

Long term, I don't think anyone argues LEDs aren't better.
I'm in a cash crunch though, with lights going out, one by one.

Just replace them one at a time with LED fixtures. Replace the worst one
first!!! Eventually they will pay for themselves in saving on the
electric bill and not having to buy more bulbs.

It's just like my yard light, (farm light on a pole). I had a 175W
mercury vapor bulb. Every 1 ro 2 years, I spent $15 for a bulb, often
had to replace the sensor too (another $12). Last year the ballast
apparently died, (New bulb and sensor did not fix it). I spent the $120
to buy a LED fixture. It paid for itself in several months. My electric
bill dropped from $15 to $25 a month (depending on length of daylight).
Better yet, it's brighter, and dont flicker like those MV lights tend to
do. I figure that I've paid for the fixture and saved another $50 to $70
on my electric bill by now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I love all the ideas, which all end up though, at:
a. Keep the old system (cheapest in the short term)
b. Switch to LEDs (expensive in the short term)

Long term, I don't think anyone argues LEDs aren't better.
I'm in a cash crunch though, with lights going out, one by one.

The 4' twin tube fluorescent uses 64 watts and pumps out 5700 lumens of
light, for $49.

The 4' LED version uses 50 watts and only puts out 4000 lumens, for $109.

That's more than twice the cost, 1700 lumens less light output, and only
saves 14 watts of energy.

If you only have a few lights on a couple hours each night, it would take a
long time to pay off the extra cost of the LED lights. Save your money and
go with the fluorescents.

However, when you start talking about 10 fixtures running all night long,
the power savings could be significant.

Of course, there may be other factors to consider. When I installed new
lights in my garden shed, I opted for more expensive LED lights, primarily
because they were very low profile. So there is less chance of me hitting
the lights as I'm swinging a rake, shovel, or board around in the shed.
I'm lucky if I turn those lights on two hours a month, and rarely at all in
the winter months. So power savings wasn't a factor in that decision.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 03:52:47 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

The 4' twin tube fluorescent uses 64 watts and pumps out 5700 lumens of
light, for $49.

The 4' LED version uses 50 watts and only puts out 4000 lumens, for $109.

Are you sure about that wattage?
My LED yard light only uses 18W. Replaced a 175W mercury vapor bulb.
I dont know the lumens, but the LED is brighter.
I'm sure they go on sale at times too..... Plus where are they $109? I'm
sure I've seen them at Menards for much less....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 17:48:52 -0400, Meanie wrote:

Correct. The LED bulbs will last a lifetime (longer life than a house
fly). It is the driver that needs to be of sound quality. Therefore,
when purchasing an LED, it should be routine to ensure they will replace
or refund the entire lamp if it simply stops functioning regardless of
the failure.

One problem, apparently, is that LED bulbs deteriorate over time, so, claims
of lifetime should take that deterioration into account.

Looking up lifetime claims, I found this note:
"Contrary to the company˘s calculations, an LED˘s lamp˘s lifetime is
properly measured as the point at which its capacity decreases by 30
percent, according to the order. LED lamps slowly diminish in output over
time, rather than failing catastrophically."

http://www.law360.com/articles/47368...-false-ad-suit

So, LEDs fail too.
They just fail differently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 18:18:18 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Any lifetime claims are for the entire device.

I wouldn't bank on that, but if it's true, that's as it should be.

But not every guarantee is as it should be.

Light Bulb Maker Takes $21M Hit In FTC False Ad Suit
http://www.law360.com/articles/47368...-false-ad-suit

´In advertising and marketing its LED Lamps with false and unsubstantiated
claims, LOA misrepresented the light output and *lifetime* of its LED
Lamps,ˇ the judge held. ´Those misrepresentations are claims consumers rely
upon in selecting lighting products. Because LOA˙s LED Lamps did not perform
as advertised, consumers were harmed because what they purchased was
something different than advertised.ˇ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 19:59:56 -0500, wrote:

When there is a power outage, I normally shut off all the breakers
except one, That one is just somewhere that only serves a few outlets,
and I will plug in a lamp or something that wont get harmed, to tell me
the power came back on. When they turn the power on, there can be a
surge.

I have considered shutting off the breakers, but I just unplug the stuff
that has blown in the past due to power outages, such as the motor control
board on my washing machine (which had holes blown in it that showed up the
first time it was used after a series of power outages during the night).

I agree though that your method of shutting everything off is better, but we
get a lot of power outages (sometimes as many as a dozen a year) as I have
never seen a single year without at least a one day power outage.

We just got rain, for the first time since May or April, and the trees just
start to fall on the wires. They'll continue to do so until the rains stop
in about April or May.

However, I think lightning does more damage. Even if it dont hit the
power lines directly, it comes thru the wires. That includes the phone
lines. I have lost several modems over the years. Now, I unplug the
phone line all the time I'm not using the modem, and shut everything
down when there is lightning in the area.

I would tend to agree with you. We don't get lightning much out here, but it
sometimes happens (once every five years or so). It even makes the news when
it happens, it's that infrequent.

So, for us, it's the frequent power outages, particularly the ones where the
power flickers on and off repeatedly for fifteen minutes to an hour, before
finally going out for a half day or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2016 1:37 AM, Algeria Horan wrote:
[...]

Lifetime actually depends on usage, though, an actual lifetime will not
be 80 years. It's more a figure of speech.

If the LEDs stay on 24/7, then they may reach 5 years on a 50,000 hr.
claim with that % drop as you stated. If the lamps are used less than 8
hours a day, the life will increase to an average lifetime of 17 years
also including the % drop in the lamp output. Therefore, since a few are
taking my "lifetime" comment literally, that was not my intent. It's
simply a matter of expressing the potential life span of LEDs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The 4' twin tube fluorescent uses 64 watts and pumps out 5700 lumens of
light, for $49.

The 4' LED version uses 50 watts and only puts out 4000 lumens, for $109.

Are you sure about that wattage?
My LED yard light only uses 18W. Replaced a 175W mercury vapor bulb.
I dont know the lumens, but the LED is brighter.
I'm sure they go on sale at times too..... Plus where are they $109? I'm
sure I've seen them at Menards for much less....

I got the specs and prices from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...ED-Wraparound-
Ceiling-Flushmount-LBL-4/203839057

It's rated as a "64 watt equivalent", but users stated it used 50 watts.

The same light is available at Amazon for $128, and the specs say 50 watts
also:

https://www.amazon.com/Lithonia-Lighting-LBL4-LP835-
Commercial/dp/B00F94HG54

I chose that light to compare with the nearly identical fluorescent lights
I used in my garage:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...2-Light-White-
Ballast-Ceiling-Flushmount-LB-2-32-MVOLT-MVIS/202591813

I'm sure you could shop around and find better prices, but you have to
compare the lumen output and color temperature. Cheaper fixtures generally
put out less light, or have different color temperatures (that may or may
not be to your liking).

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill,

I think I'm stuck with replacing the noisy bulbs.
But I don't think my electric bill is the real problem because the lights
aren't on all that long. Just when I'm working in the garage (or when the
kids leave them on all night).

The noise and flicker are probably caused by a failing ballast.

If the fixtures are in good condition (no metal rust and the plastic cover
still in good shape), you could simply replace the bulbs and install new
electronic ballasts. If your existing fixtures use the old T12 bulbs, you
might see if you could convert them to T8 bulbs. You can probably find
everything you need at the local home center, or shop online.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone notice how we've been totally ripped off with all this lightbulb
nonsense? Save the earth, my ass!

I used to buy a 4-pack of incandescent bulbs, generic brand for $1.00.
Now I buy a 4-pack of halogen bulbs for approx. $6.00

Guess what? The halogen ones don't last any longer than the old ones.
My electric bill is still the same so no savings there.

Thanks to all the whiny environmentalists.

This little piddly lightbulb nonsense when people are still driving
their cars everywhere, constantly...just can't stay at home for even one
day.

I quit! I just quit. ;-[]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 05:54:16 -0400, Meanie wrote:

Lifetime actually depends on usage, though, an actual lifetime will not
be 80 years. It's more a figure of speech.

If the LEDs stay on 24/7, then they may reach 5 years on a 50,000 hr.
claim with that % drop as you stated. If the lamps are used less than 8
hours a day, the life will increase to an average lifetime of 17 years
also including the % drop in the lamp output. Therefore, since a few are
taking my "lifetime" comment literally, that was not my intent. It's
simply a matter of expressing the potential life span of LEDs.

I like this thread.

I didn't know anything about bulb life before this thread, other than I have
never gotten anywhere near what the package says for both incandescent and
fluorescent bulbs, which means I trust LED bulb claims even less.

My "guess", before doing any research, is that LED bulbs last nowhere near
what they say. They probably last five or ten years, at most, is my guess,
not only due to the LED deteriorating over time, but due to the electronics
instantly giving up the ghost at inopportune times.

I'm not saying LEDs are less reliable than the other formats; just that none
of them are reliable.

However, rather than guess, I am now going to google for what the "official"
bulb life rules are, and I'll let you know what I find out.

I'll post a separate thread once I find something out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 10:11:13 -0500, Gary wrote:

Guess what? The halogen ones don't last any longer than the old ones.
My electric bill is still the same so no savings there.

I think we just swapped one problem for another.

The weak link in the incandescent bulbs was the energy used, and the fact
the filament burned out rather quickly.

The weak link in the fluorescent curlies was that the light energy output
stunk by way of comparison, and they were far more expensive than what they
were replacing, and that they only lasted a little longer than the break
even point.

I think the weak link in the LED bulbs is that the LED output decreases over
time rather startlingly soon, and that the electronic part is prone to
sudden failure, such that the life of the LED bulbs is effectively far
shorter than some people are imagining.

I need to look that stuff up though, because the first two are based only on
experience, while the last is mere conjecture on my part.
Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 10/31/2016 8:11 AM, Gary wrote:

I used to buy a 4-pack of incandescent bulbs, generic brand for
$1.00. Now I buy a 4-pack of halogen bulbs for approx. $6.00

Halogens claim some improvements over the old bulbs: A higher luminous
efficacy and color temperature.

The halogen ones don't last any longer than the old ones.

Their physics says they should.

My electric bill is still the same so no savings there.

They use the *same* power as the old bulbs so there is
no power savings to be expected.

Thanks to all the whiny environmentalists.

Can't blame the environmentalists on halogens. They would likely say
that halogens are just as bad as the incandescent bulb as a power
waster. I imagine that they would prefer you use a bulb that takes less
power such as a LED or fluorescent. But they too have environmental
problems so who knows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Algeria Horan
Mon, 31 Oct 2016 05:37:33 GMT in
alt.home.repair, wrote:

I have considered shutting off the breakers, but I just unplug the
stuff that has blown in the past due to power outages, such as the
motor control board on my washing machine (which had holes blown
in it that showed up the first time it was used after a series of
power outages during the night).

Sounds like one or more attempts to bring the power back on surged
your appliance. Significantly by the sounds of the damage.

I agree though that your method of shutting everything off is
better, but we get a lot of power outages (sometimes as many as a
dozen a year) as I have never seen a single year without at least
a one day power outage.

Here's the thing though with his method... If the incoming 'surge' is
high enough, it's going to jump across the contact points seperated
in the breaker in the 'off' position. It would almost be like the
breaker being switched on. Same effect with small appliance switches
of various kinds. There's just not that much of a gap and if the
incoming current is high enough, it's going to cross it. If you want
to isolate them, unplugging is the better option. It's MUCH harder
for it to jump out of the outlet to your devices power prongs. [g]

--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 01:26:59 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

If you want
to isolate them, unplugging is the better option.

This is good to know because we had a series of power outages this very
weekend, which is normal for us, and I unplugged the frig and the washing
machine.

I also unplugged the dryer, but I wonder, are 220VAC appliances as
vulnerable? Or does the offset phase confer any protection?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Moinihan wrote:

What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

What do you think, honestly, of this idea?

Costco has supposedly "universal" LED replacement tubes:
https://s21.postimg.org/qei7hifs7/1_..._at_costco.jpg

The price is currently $7.70 per tube:
https://s21.postimg.org/8pqgpw413/2_..._at_costco.jpg

So I bought 16 of these reputedly "universal" LED tubes:
https://s21.postimg.org/7oq80rn1j/3_...es_at_home.jpg

At home I compared them by size to the original tubes:
https://s21.postimg.org/khec0oynb/4_...es_at_home.jpg

Where I can't find any T2 or T4 or T8 designation at all:
https://s21.postimg.org/4x6ya5oiv/5_...es_at_home.jpg

All four of the 4-tube boxes hum and flicker and have bad bulbs:
https://s21.postimg.org/ne1d0z4h3/6_...es_at_home.jpg

Opening them up, I find only about half still working:
https://s21.postimg.org/9lrjj333b/7_...es_at_home.jpg

I can't find the ballast nor the T2,T4,T8 designation inside.
All it says on the metal is "USE RAPID START LAMPS":
https://s21.postimg.org/jlhul8oyv/8_...es_at_home.jpg

Where's the ballast?
Will these bulbs work in these lights?
What type of lights do I have anyway (T2?, T4?, T8?)