Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flourescent shop lights

I have a few older T8 4ft shop lights that wont light up until I turn
the bulbs a bit, do I have a bad connection at the pins or am I doing
something inside the light, the bulbs are old but this happens on a
few of my lights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On some of these, the wires are stripped, then "pushed into" the socket and
held there by the spring force of a piece of metal inside the socket. Sort
of like how you can push an electrical wire into the back of an electrical
outlet.

Anyway those wires can be loose. Try disconnecting power, removing the bulbs
and cover, then try pulling each of the wires going into each socket. There
may be a loose one. If a wire comes loose, try pushing it all the way back
in.

Also examine each socket to be sure there are no cracks in the plastic. If
there are, get another socket.

"ransley" wrote in message
I have a few older T8 4ft shop lights that wont light up until I turn
the bulbs a bit, do I have a bad connection at the pins or am I doing
something inside the light, the bulbs are old but this happens on a
few of my lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ransley wrote:
I have a few older T8 4ft shop lights that wont light up until I turn
the bulbs a bit, do I have a bad connection at the pins or am I doing
something inside the light, the bulbs are old but this happens on a
few of my lights.

If they're quick-start, check for good ground connection. If in dusty
shop environment, blow accumulated dust off and out of tube holders; can
build up leakage paths and poor connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

make certain they are properly gounded
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 1, 6:47*am, ransley wrote:
I have a few older T8 4ft shop lights that wont light up until I turn
the bulbs a bit, do I have a bad connection at the pins or am I doing
something inside the light, the bulbs are old but this happens on a
few of my lights.

Keep our beloved leader's stimulus plan going! Buy new lamps and
fixtures. You can even find some made in Illinois.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
I have a few older T8 4ft shop lights that wont light up until I turn
the bulbs a bit, do I have a bad connection at the pins or am I doing
something inside the light, the bulbs are old but this happens on a
few of my lights.

I've always had that trouble with F40 T12s after a few years of service.
I think the silocone coating goes bad. Washing the bulbs helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
I have a few older T8 4ft shop lights that wont light up until I turn
the bulbs a bit, do I have a bad connection at the pins or am I doing
something inside the light, the bulbs are old but this happens on a
few of my lights.

What's the ambient temperature when you turn on the lights? Here
at the crotchety old fart's lair, we have a dual tube fixture
over the bathroom mirror that misbehaves at temperatures in the
60's.

TDD