Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 17:30:12 -0000 (UTC), Bill Moinihan
wrote:

HerHusband wrote:

I had hoped to use LED lights, but LED shop lights cost twice as much and
put out less light (fewer lumens). Since I only use my garage lights
occasionally, the lower power usage wouldn't really make much difference in
the long run. So I stayed with the fluorescent fixtures.

This is my dilemma, exactly.

I love all the ideas, which all end up though, at:
a. Keep the old system (cheapest in the short term)
b. Switch to LEDs (expensive in the short term)

Long term, I don't think anyone argues LEDs aren't better.
I'm in a cash crunch though, with lights going out, one by one.

Just replace them one at a time with LED fixtures. Replace the worst one
first!!! Eventually they will pay for themselves in saving on the
electric bill and not having to buy more bulbs.

It's just like my yard light, (farm light on a pole). I had a 175W
mercury vapor bulb. Every 1 ro 2 years, I spent $15 for a bulb, often
had to replace the sensor too (another $12). Last year the ballast
apparently died, (New bulb and sensor did not fix it). I spent the $120
to buy a LED fixture. It paid for itself in several months. My electric
bill dropped from $15 to $25 a month (depending on length of daylight).
Better yet, it's brighter, and dont flicker like those MV lights tend to
do. I figure that I've paid for the fixture and saved another $50 to $70
on my electric bill by now.