Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?

"Bill Moinihan" wrote in message
What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a
good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

Everyone is touting LEDs but IME they are not ready for prime time.

About a year ago, I bought three circular LEDs for our bathrooms. Within 4
months, 2 of the 3 were flickering so badly they were unuseable. They were
replaced with incandescent using fixtures, bye-bye flicker. Now the third
is flickering and it too will be replaced.

The flourescent bulbs in my garage have been there 20 years, same for 6 out
of 10 in my shop. If it were me, I would replace the four bulb with
diffuser units you now have with two bulb strip T-8 units, (sans diffuser,
the diffuser eats up about 1/2 of the light emitted). Those units are about
$25 at a borg.