Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Moinihan Bill Moinihan is offline

Default Inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?

Bill Moinihan wrote:

What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

What do you think, honestly, of this idea?

Costco has supposedly "universal" LED replacement tubes:
https://s21.postimg.org/qei7hifs7/1_..._at_costco.jpg

The price is currently $7.70 per tube:
https://s21.postimg.org/8pqgpw413/2_..._at_costco.jpg

So I bought 16 of these reputedly "universal" LED tubes:
https://s21.postimg.org/7oq80rn1j/3_...es_at_home.jpg

At home I compared them by size to the original tubes:
https://s21.postimg.org/khec0oynb/4_...es_at_home.jpg

Where I can't find any T2 or T4 or T8 designation at all:
https://s21.postimg.org/4x6ya5oiv/5_...es_at_home.jpg

All four of the 4-tube boxes hum and flicker and have bad bulbs:
https://s21.postimg.org/ne1d0z4h3/6_...es_at_home.jpg

Opening them up, I find only about half still working:
https://s21.postimg.org/9lrjj333b/7_...es_at_home.jpg

I can't find the ballast nor the T2,T4,T8 designation inside.
All it says on the metal is "USE RAPID START LAMPS":
https://s21.postimg.org/jlhul8oyv/8_...es_at_home.jpg

Where's the ballast?
Will these bulbs work in these lights?
What type of lights do I have anyway (T2?, T4?, T8?)