Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?

On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 5:29:27 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"Bill Moinihan" wrote in message
What is an inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?
https://s13.postimg.org/7jivra81j/garage_lights.jpg

There are four of these sets of lights, each of which holds 4 flourescent
bulbs, which keep flickering, burning out, and making humming sounds.

In a word, they suck.

So, instead of replacing the bulbs for the rest of my life, is there a
good
but inexpensive quick and simple replacement strategy?

Everyone is touting LEDs but IME they are not ready for prime time.

About a year ago, I bought three circular LEDs for our bathrooms. Within 4
months, 2 of the 3 were flickering so badly they were unuseable. They were
replaced with incandescent using fixtures, bye-bye flicker. Now the third
is flickering and it too will be replaced.

The flourescent bulbs in my garage have been there 20 years, same for 6 out
of 10 in my shop. If it were me, I would replace the four bulb with
diffuser units you now have with two bulb strip T-8 units, (sans diffuser,
the diffuser eats up about 1/2 of the light emitted). Those units are about
$25 at a borg.

sams club sells 2 brite fluroscent equivalents for 34 bucks.

i am going to replace nearl all my fluroscent shop lights.....

the fixtures are over 30 years old, new lamps dont last...

the LEDs look awesome. save your receipt, and return if they dont work well