Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?

Bill,

I think I'm stuck with replacing the noisy bulbs.
But I don't think my electric bill is the real problem because the lights
aren't on all that long. Just when I'm working in the garage (or when the
kids leave them on all night).

The noise and flicker are probably caused by a failing ballast.

If the fixtures are in good condition (no metal rust and the plastic cover
still in good shape), you could simply replace the bulbs and install new
electronic ballasts. If your existing fixtures use the old T12 bulbs, you
might see if you could convert them to T8 bulbs. You can probably find
everything you need at the local home center, or shop online.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com