Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. GM fuel mileage overstated

On 5/16/2016 11:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/16/2016 9:57 AM, rbowman wrote:

I worked in Ft. Wayne for a year. I'd ride my bicycle 15 or 20 miles
looking at soybeans, turn around, and ride back looking at the other
side of the soybeans. The wind shifted as soon as I turned too.

Flying was even worse. When the scenery all looks the same you have
plenty of time to think about the wings falling off or the engine
stopping. The Tomahawk only did 100 knots happily so it wasn't much
better than driving.

My sister made friends with a girl scout from
Canada. Sister asked friend how fast they drove,
on the way to visit. Friend said "we didn't go
very fast, we only went about a hundred". Sister
exclaims how fast that was, we only go about
sixty or sixty five.

Probably kph:
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/trav.../#.Vzoe1b5oDvk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2016 9:59 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

for the 2016 Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, and the Buick Enclave.
ABC News article he http://alturl.com/kgqfx

Instantaneous readout on my new Subaru indicates I get 100 mpg going
down hill.

Wonder if that guy with little "d" after his name will mandate that
roads can only go down hill? Would sure help deter climate change.
If states do no follow mandate, they will not get highway funds from the
fed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2016 12:05 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/14/2016 08:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The last five cars (different brands) had the computer that gave you the
mpg of a trip and since the last fill up. I've checked the old method
of filling the tank and calculating. The car computer ranged from 2 to
6 mpg too high

I go by a ScanGauge plugged into the ODB. When I fill up it is usually
within a tenth of a gallon on how much will take to fill the tank and
the tank mpg numbers jibe with the odometer.

cost of fuel is only one of the variables ... how much to get a mile
down the road is the bottom line. AAA says..
http://exchange.aaa.com/wp-content/u...Costs-2015.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 12:48 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:
On 5/15/2016 12:05 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/14/2016 08:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The last five cars (different brands) had the computer that gave you the
mpg of a trip and since the last fill up. I've checked the old method
of filling the tank and calculating. The car computer ranged from 2 to
6 mpg too high

I go by a ScanGauge plugged into the ODB. When I fill up it is usually
within a tenth of a gallon on how much will take to fill the tank and
the tank mpg numbers jibe with the odometer.

cost of fuel is only one of the variables ... how much to get a mile down the
road is the bottom line. AAA says..
http://exchange.aaa.com/wp-content/u...Costs-2015.pdf

The metric is "miles per GALLON (of fuel)" -- not miles per DOLLAR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 3:57 PM, Don Y wrote:

cost of fuel is only one of the variables ... how much to get a mile
down the
road is the bottom line. AAA says..
http://exchange.aaa.com/wp-content/u...Costs-2015.pdf

The metric is "miles per GALLON (of fuel)" -- not miles per DOLLAR.

People get hung up on mpg and ignore cost to own.

The price of gas goes up so people sell the paid off gas guzzler and go
into debt thousands of dollars to save $4 a week on the fuel cost.

If you drive 10,000 miles a year, at 25 mpg you'd buy 400 gallons but at
35 mpg only 285 gallons. So, you save 115 gallons. Yeah, that
justifies buying a new economical car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 08:46 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
How long did the trip take you by bicycle? I was in the best shape of my life when I was getting around by bicycle. ^_^

Back in the day I could average 17 mph or so. Now I'm lucky to hit 17
for a short burst in still air. I still enjoy it and will sometimes ride
back and forth to work which is about 17 miles RT, but it's fairly
leisurely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 09:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My sister made friends with a girl scout from
Canada. Sister asked friend how fast they drove,
on the way to visit. Friend said "we didn't go
very fast, we only went about a hundred". Sister
exclaims how fast that was, we only go about
sixty or sixty five.

Back in the day I recall doing 100 on the Mac and Jack Speedway
(Macdonald€“Cartier Freeway) and it wasn't no stinking kilometer stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 10:27 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
You may wish to consider researching hunter-gatherer
societies and the transition to agriculture and the
advancements made possible thereby (such as the ability
to support much larger populations). If you had to survive
on hunting and fishing, you'd not have the abundant leisure
time to support your voluminous useless posting and evangelizing.

I wouldn't call agrarian society an advance. Surplus food, surplus
people, and the spare time to get up to all sorts of mischief like
organized religion and constant warfare.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 01:34 PM, Frank wrote:
Instantaneous readout on my new Subaru indicates I get 100 mpg going
down hill.

when I first got the ScanGauge I had it in instantaneous mode. I think
the injectors shut off completely when you're coasting. That mode isn't
too useful in town.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 07:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
If you drive 10,000 miles a year, at 25 mpg you'd buy 400 gallons but at
35 mpg only 285 gallons. So, you save 115 gallons. Yeah, that
justifies buying a new economical car.

For the last 15 years I just buy economical cars and watch the SUVs come
and go. It gives me a little tickle of Schadenfreude when I pull in and
cram 8 gallons or so into the Yaris, wash the windows and plates, and
check the tire pressure while the guy in the barge next to me is still
pumping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 11:06 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 09:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My sister made friends with a girl scout from
Canada. Sister asked friend how fast they drove,
on the way to visit. Friend said "we didn't go
very fast, we only went about a hundred". Sister
exclaims how fast that was, we only go about
sixty or sixty five.

Back in the day I recall doing 100 on the Mac and Jack Speedway
(Macdonald€“Cartier Freeway) and it wasn't no stinking kilometer stuff.

Did that on my way home tonight on the highway. On stretch at the state
line has good visibility for such stuff for a couple of miles.
According to my gps, the fastest was 123. No place to really let it out
safely and without possible intervention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 6:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/16/2016 3:57 PM, Don Y wrote:

cost of fuel is only one of the variables ... how much to get a mile
down the
road is the bottom line. AAA says..
http://exchange.aaa.com/wp-content/u...Costs-2015.pdf

The metric is "miles per GALLON (of fuel)" -- not miles per DOLLAR.

People get hung up on mpg and ignore cost to own.

Sure, but the comments in this thread have concerned MPG.
If you want to address TCO, then you have to look at cost of
maintenance, insurance, registration (many places treat vehicles
as "property" so a new car can cost hundreds per year to register
while anolder one can cost close to nothing), etc.

You'd also have to consider opportunity costs/time value of money
(that could be *growing* instead of depreciating), risk valuation
(you're less likely to get dragged into a lawsuit for running over a
toddler if you don't drive a car!), effect on the rest of the economy
(what sort of a factor does the auto industry have on YOUR job),
cost of your time (you can walk "for free"), etc.

The price of gas goes up so people sell the paid off gas guzzler and go into
debt thousands of dollars to save $4 a week on the fuel cost.

That, of course, depends on what the gas guzzler is costing you!
A 30 year old vehicle that already has high maintenance costs
doesn't look any *better* when you consider its fuel economy!

If you drive 10,000 miles a year, at 25 mpg you'd buy 400 gallons but at 35 mpg
only 285 gallons. So, you save 115 gallons. Yeah, that justifies buying a new
economical car.

It suggests you have an additional $500/year (at $4 gas) to put towards
your "new" car budget. I took *my* car off the road cuz I wasn't putting
1,000 miles / year on it! I could take a cab for less money (per mile)
than operate my vehicle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 8:10 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 01:34 PM, Frank wrote:
Instantaneous readout on my new Subaru indicates I get 100 mpg going
down hill.

when I first got the ScanGauge I had it in instantaneous mode. I think the
injectors shut off completely when you're coasting. That mode isn't too useful
in town.

New cars play games shutting down cylinders when the power isn't
required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 8:08 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 10:27 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
You may wish to consider researching hunter-gatherer
societies and the transition to agriculture and the
advancements made possible thereby (such as the ability
to support much larger populations). If you had to survive
on hunting and fishing, you'd not have the abundant leisure
time to support your voluminous useless posting and evangelizing.

I wouldn't call agrarian society an advance. Surplus food, surplus people, and
the spare time to get up to all sorts of mischief like organized religion and
constant warfare.

+1

OTOH, also time to set up things like medical care (beyond blood letting
and dancing under moonlit skies).

E.g., for the folks with both feet firmly planted in the past
("The Good Old Days"), I'd not be keen on returning to the 1950's
life expectancy figures of 65/71 (M/F). The ~10 years added in
the decades since represents a significant improvement, IMnsHO!

And, the police will no longer look the other way when you beat
your spouse... (and it was OK for priests to abuse little boys)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-17, Don Y wrote:
That, of course, depends on what the gas guzzler is costing you!
A 30 year old vehicle that already has high maintenance costs
doesn't look any *better* when you consider its fuel economy!

I drive a vehicle that is over 40 years old. It is not particularly
good on gas but maintenance costs are very low and it is long since
paid for. I'll be keeping it.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-17, Don Y wrote:
E.g., for the folks with both feet firmly planted in the past
("The Good Old Days"), I'd not be keen on returning to the 1950's
life expectancy figures of 65/71 (M/F). The ~10 years added in
the decades since represents a significant improvement, IMnsHO!

Yeah, but those are the crappy years that come at the end. I'd go
back to the 1950s in a heartbeat if it were possible. (My preferred
target year would probably be more like 1960.)

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 11:06 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 09:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My sister made friends with a girl scout from
Canada. Sister asked friend how fast they drove,
on the way to visit. Friend said "we didn't go
very fast, we only went about a hundred". Sister
exclaims how fast that was, we only go about
sixty or sixty five.

Back in the day I recall doing 100 on the Mac and Jack Speedway
(Macdonald€“Cartier Freeway) and it wasn't no stinking kilometer stuff.

It's a new marketing thing. You know how Oreos
went from some number, to fewer. Same with
Tampax, and many other products. Kilometers
are like miles, but "Miles Lite, 40% less
filling". Also lower in sodium, and carbon
emissions than miles.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. famine in Africa

On 5/16/2016 11:08 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 10:27 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
You may wish to consider researching hunter-gatherer
societies and the transition to agriculture and the
advancements made possible thereby (such as the ability
to support much larger populations). If you had to survive
on hunting and fishing, you'd not have the abundant leisure
time to support your voluminous useless posting and evangelizing.

I wouldn't call agrarian society an advance. Surplus food, surplus
people, and the spare time to get up to all sorts of mischief like
organized religion and constant warfare.

Remember, the USA has plenty of surplus to
send to Russia, when they starve. And also
to the African nations. Remember the TV shows
with the stick figure bone and ribs children.
My Dad knew and Afro American (who had blonde
hair and blue eyes) who agreed that the famine
was terrible. And then he commented they didn't
kill off enough of them. Dad !!say what!!. The
real Africans use starvation and famine as a
population control. When the other tribe is over
populated, send in the teens on Jeeps and AK-47
to cut off the food. Of course, the Europeans
show up with cameras and food. Pay off the
jeep kids, and feed the stick figures so they
can grow to puberty and make more stick figures
for us to feed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Agrarian society

On 5/16/2016 11:08 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 10:27 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
You may wish to consider researching hunter-gatherer
societies and the transition to agriculture and the
advancements made possible thereby (such as the ability
to support much larger populations). If you had to survive
on hunting and fishing, you'd not have the abundant leisure
time to support your voluminous useless posting and evangelizing.

I wouldn't call agrarian society an advance. Surplus food, surplus
people, and the spare time to get up to all sorts of mischief like
organized religion and constant warfare.

One of my friends comments that now days "people
are too damn well fed". I asked him to expand
a bit, on that. Well, when people have to work for
their living, they tend to be polite, and appreciae
what they have. When food is just handed to them,
they tend to bicker and complain a lot. Gives them
some thing to do.

Anyone remember the old episode of Andy Griffith
Show where Malcolm the butler arried in town? Andy
hired him at the houe. And Aunt Bee took the sick
bed, and whined and complained a lot. Opie was the
one who noticed, and brought the change to attention
of Andy. Soon as Aunt Bee got back to her routine,
the house was the cheerful same again.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 11:05:17 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 09:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My sister made friends with a girl scout from
Canada. Sister asked friend how fast they drove,
on the way to visit. Friend said "we didn't go
very fast, we only went about a hundred". Sister
exclaims how fast that was, we only go about
sixty or sixty five.

Back in the day I recall doing 100 on the Mac and Jack Speedway
(Macdonald€“Cartier Freeway) and it wasn't no stinking kilometer stuff.

I used to do 100+ on the Verrazano€“Narrows Bridge between Brooklyn &
Staten Island in NYC. I was driving a Chevy station wagon full of bagels
during a short stint as a bagel delivery guy for a friend's bagel business.

The Brooklyn cops would turn back into Brooklyn on their side of the bridge
and the Staten Island cops would turn around on their side. There was never a
cop on the bridge unless there was an accident. At 5 AM, you usually had
about 4 miles of open road to play on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 11:29 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 5/16/2016 8:10 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 01:34 PM, Frank wrote:
Instantaneous readout on my new Subaru indicates I get 100 mpg going
down hill.

when I first got the ScanGauge I had it in instantaneous mode. I think
the
injectors shut off completely when you're coasting. That mode isn't
too useful
in town.

New cars play games shutting down cylinders when the power isn't
required.

Doubt this is happening on the Subaru.
I don't know how they can instantaneously measure mileage and would
think it extremely hard to do it on fuel usage.
Car also has a CVT which gives maybe an extra mpg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2016 6:05 AM, Frank wrote:
New cars play games shutting down cylinders when the power isn't
required.

Doubt this is happening on the Subaru.
I don't know how they can instantaneously measure mileage and would think it
extremely hard to do it on fuel usage.
Car also has a CVT which gives maybe an extra mpg.

Mileage is a takeoff on the tranny -- count wheel rotations per unit time
(or, at very low speeds, time per wheel rotation); ditto driveshaft, etc.

Fuel usage is by monitoring how *they* fire the injectors. You know how
much fuel is introduced with each activation (if it wasn't predictable,
the engine wouldn't run smoothly).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Cylinder_Management
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Displacement_System

It will be interesting to see how their CVT holds up over time!

We liked the two Subarus we test drove. But, the "tranny hump"
(where the bell housing would be on a rear-wheel drive vehicle)
was too wide and encroached on the leg position for the passenger
(your left foot can't be placed directly in front of your left *hip*,
let alone to the *left* of it!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 11:29:32 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
On 5/16/2016 8:10 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 01:34 PM, Frank wrote:
Instantaneous readout on my new Subaru indicates I get 100 mpg going
down hill.

when I first got the ScanGauge I had it in instantaneous mode. I think the
injectors shut off completely when you're coasting. That mode isn't too useful
in town.

New cars play games shutting down cylinders when the power isn't
required.

My Odyssey *used* to do that but I've disabled it. Honda calls it Variable
Cylinder Management and most Ody and Pilot drivers hate it. There was even
a Class Action suit against it due to fouled spark plugs, failing motor
mounts and excessive oil consumption. That is in addition to the driveability
issues related to vibration, stuttering, delayed accelerating, etc.

Last year a guy invented what he calls the VCMuzzler. It is nothing more
than a resistor with Honda OEM connectors that you place between the
Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and the ECU. It fools the ECU into thinking
that the ECT is a few degress below the threshold required for VCM to
engage. He has worked out the resistance value such that it doesn't impact
the fuel mixture curve at low temps or cause a CEL.

The original version had only 1 inline resistor, but as more and more people
bought the device, it became apparent that different values were required
based on the ambient temperature of the environment. The 2nd generation has
a extra connector so that different value resistors can be tested. I've been
running with a 100Ω resistor for about a year and the only time VCM has kicked
in was when I was towing a trailer through the hills in 90° temps. The
engine would heat up while climbing and the VCM would kick in as I coasted
down hill. Once the engine cooled down a bit, no more VCM, so there was
no impact on the driveability.

The device has thousands upon thousands of miles on it all across the
country and users couldn't be happier. Many of us have had our cars
inspected with the VCMuzzler installed and there has never been an issue.
The fact that it is plug-and-play means that it can be removed for testing
if there is any concern that it is causing an problem but I have never heard
of an single issue and I follow the forum threads on it just in case.

This video is a short (1:58) install video showing the device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DewUNWlh1zU

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2016 07:05 AM, Frank wrote:
I don't know how they can instantaneously measure mileage and would
think it extremely hard to do it on fuel usage.
Car also has a CVT which gives maybe an extra mpg.

Fuel flow versus speed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2016 08:00:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

You repugnant racist fat white mormon bigot

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2016 9:22 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

We have a family friend at Subaru of America and I discussed such
durability problems with him.

Pleased with CVT and find it very smooth. See it is available on a lot
of cars so hopefully it will hold up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2016 15:38:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/17/2016 12:16 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2016 08:00:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon
Remember, the USA has plenty of surplus to
send to Russia, when they starve. And also
to the African nations. Remember the TV shows
with the stick figure bone and ribs children.
My Dad knew and Afro American (who had blonde
hair and blue eyes) who agreed that the famine
was terrible. And then he commented they didn't
kill off enough of them. Dad !!say what!!. The
real Africans use starvation and famine as a
population control. When the other tribe is over
populated, send in the teens on Jeeps and AK-47
to cut off the food. Of course, the Europeans
show up with cameras and food. Pay off the
jeep kids, and feed the stick figures so they
can grow to puberty and make more stick figures
for us to feed.

You repugnant racist fat white mormon bigot

You appear to have reading comprehension problems.
I've described the African Tribe approach, and the
white European approach. However, you've not read
(in this post) the Stormin Mormon approach. How
might you get all that descriptors from what I
quoted from others? I think you still lack enough
information to be calling me names.

Just your way of describing it pretty much indicates your leanings.

You ever been there? Ever worked with those people? Ever actually SEEN
how they live???
Well I have. Both central/eastern and West Africa.

You get a different outlook when you see it up close and personal.
Particularly when it is not just short term visits. 2 years in
east/central southern Africa makes you think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2016 3:10 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2016 15:38:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/17/2016 12:16 PM,
wrote:
[...]

this thread is screaming for your elaboration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 6:24:26 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/17/2016 6:10 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2016 15:38:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon
You appear to have reading comprehension problems.
I've described the African Tribe approach, and the
white European approach. However, you've not read
(in this post) the Stormin Mormon approach. How
might you get all that descriptors from what I
quoted from others? I think you still lack enough
information to be calling me names.

Just your way of describing it pretty much indicates your leanings.

You ever been there? Ever worked with those people? Ever actually SEEN
how they live???
Well I have. Both central/eastern and West Africa.

You get a different outlook when you see it up close and personal.
Particularly when it is not just short term visits. 2 years in
east/central southern Africa makes you think.

So, lets see if I get this right. An experienced
Africa visitor is flaming a guy who is doing his
best (with what he knows) to gently and accurately
describe a situation he's never seen?

You call this "gentle"?

"...feed the stick figures so they can grow to
puberty and make more stick figures for us to
feed."

No one that is trying to "help" refers to those
being hurt as "stick figures" and then says "for
us to feed".

You've shown your bigotry many times in the past
and you are simply doing it again.

....snip...

Cla Don't even bother defending yourself
against this racist idiot. He's the worst kind.
He won't even admit what his words truly show.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2016 3:15 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/17/2016 3:10 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2016 15:38:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/17/2016 12:16 PM,
wrote:
[...]

To be clear, I am not suggesting you rebut anyone else's posts, but I
would be interested in your perspective given your time in Africa.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2016 6:31 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/17/2016 3:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You get a different outlook when you see it up close and personal.
Particularly when it is not just short term visits. 2 years in
east/central southern Africa makes you think.

this thread is screaming for your elaboration.

The four indented text (top line) is likely
to be as educational as we will read from
Claude.

perhaps Clare can help

Hang on while I hide under the bed and
cover my balls. Let me know when it's
safe to come out.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2016 19:01:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/17/2016 6:31 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/17/2016 3:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You get a different outlook when you see it up close and personal.
Particularly when it is not just short term visits. 2 years in
east/central southern Africa makes you think.

this thread is screaming for your elaboration.

The four indented text (top line) is likely
to be as educational as we will read from
Claude.

perhaps Clare can help

Hang on while I hide under the bed and
cover my balls. Let me know when it's
safe to come out.

Man up and come on out. I'd never kick a man while he's down, and the
only way I'd be able to kick that high is if you WERE down.

and in case you didn't catch the symbolism - White Fat is in contrast
to the black "stick figure" starving Africans.

Even the poorest, most government-put-on American trailer trash is a
millionaire compared to the average tribal african - because he has
HOPE. There is a CHANCE he and his kids can get ahead.

Not born into a world of Aids, chronic Malaria, Bilharzia and
starvation - and born of a malnourished mother. Not born with at least
4 strikes against you in a world where it's "three strikes and you
are out"
In a world where unless someone gives you a "leg up" you are down for
the count. Where there ARE no government service (that you cry about
costing you too much)

And all YOU can do is bitch and complain about YOUR Government.

You are one pittiful excuse for a human being. Man up and do
something to make the world a better place instead of just wasting
space and oxygen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2016 9:33 AM, Frank wrote:
We liked the two Subarus we test drove. But, the "tranny hump"
(where the bell housing would be on a rear-wheel drive vehicle)
was too wide and encroached on the leg position for the passenger
(your left foot can't be placed directly in front of your left *hip*,
let alone to the *left* of it!)

We have a family friend at Subaru of America and I discussed such durability
problems with him.

Pleased with CVT and find it very smooth. See it is available on a lot of cars
so hopefully it will hold up.

Dunno. When I think about the design, it reminds me of turning
the steering wheel while fully stopped -- it just seems like it is
"brute-forcing" the change in pulley ratios.

The drive was... "interesting". You expect the little "hesitation" as
an automatic slips from one gear to another and keep waiting for it -- but
it never comes.