Posted to alt.home.repair

Default power invertor

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:23:29 -0500, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

On 4/13/2016 8:46 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
anyone recommend a good power invertor?

just looking for something to power a corded power drill from a truck
to use as a sort of a power jack on the scissors jack.

I know about this, but I didn't want to get it as my truck has a
scissors jack. But I will be getting that for my new car once I make up
my mind on the model.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Tools-...-20&ascsubtag=[t|comment[p|466701649[a|B0027Z6F3W[au|5759050131709445631

fyi, I have a 2000 chevy S10.

The description is prettty funny. Twice it refers to adding air to
the tire, "If you need to add air to your tires, just plug it into the
cigarette lighter outlet" and "the Black Bull Electric Car Jack will
air up your tires quickly and effortlessly.", but it says nothing
about having a pump. And if I wanted a pump, I'd buy one separately.
In fact, I did! And I would never jack up the car to add air to the
tire.

It also calls it fully automatic, but it's only electric. If it were
automatic you'd just place it under the car and it would go up
automatically and stop when it was supposed to. That would be a lot
more expensive.

Also says "It is lightweight and doesn’t weigh a ton, so it’s super
easy to transport in and out of the trunk of the car. Packaged inside
a compact and sturdy plastic case, it weighs only 11 pounds total and
stores safely and easily until you need it most. That’s a convenience
that teens, seniors, or folks with mobility impairments will
appreciate." Why do teens need something light that stores easily
and safely, any more than anyone does? Do they mean girls but they'r
e afraid to say it?

Also, "No need to work up a sweat jacking a car up by hand". I have
worked up a sweat with a GM bumper jack, but scissors jacks go so slow
you can 't work up a sweat.

Despite all this, it seems like a good idea if a manual jack is hard
for you.

And finally, it plugs into the cigarette lighter, but it doesn't say
how many amps it uses so we can't judge if the fuse will blow. It's
a motor, so it uses a lot on startup, I learned tonight. And with a
jack, you'll be stopping and starting several times on the way up.

This one could be a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2016 8:47 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
I wonder if 12 volt DC jacks are made? I've
not seen one. Guess I'm full of non-answers
today? Or maybe not?

I have a impact driver with a cigarette lighter port. It works very well
getting the lug nuts off the wheel. But not so much for scissors jack.
I experimentally with it to see how well it works. it works sort of but
not very effectively... too slow.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Well, there goes another good idea out the
window. I wish someone made a 12 volt jack,
with long enough cord to reach the far
corners of the vehicle. It probably can be
made, but out of the price range of most
peoples needs. Why spend a pile of money on
a jack when you can get AAA and have some
one else change the flat tire?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default power invertor (or generator)

On 4/14/2016 9:06 PM, Micky wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:56:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon

What did you use for heat, those four days?

It was 3 days and a little bit. It just got colder and colder, until
I coudlnt' take it anymore. It wasn't the dead of winter, just
winter, and Baltimore can have 40 or 50 degrees in the daytime, though
I dont' remember details. It was certainly fine the first day, and
cool the second I suppose. I would normally boil water to raise the
humidity, but my stove is electric too unfortunately. I'm sure I
lasted until the 3rd day but I think it was the fourth.

I remember about the same, with my four day power
cut. The first day was adventure, the second was
more cold. Third day was miserable.

Hot showers help a lot, to warm me up. Also going
some place in the car lets the vehicle heater warm
me up. When I finally releted and wired my generator
into the furnace, that was the best of all.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2016 12:18 AM, Micky wrote:
I have a little propane heater, but I think it's really for 49 degree
nights in the woods in a tent, not even for one room when it's 30 out.
I didn't even think of using it. It has frightening warnings about
opening the window so you don't die.

Hmm. one model of your says
Mr. Heater Little Buddy Propane Heater
Item # 411148
Kicks out 3,800 BTU per hour for 5.6 hrs.

That does seem like a lot. I forget what my furnace does.

The bigger one for $129 says
Storage space houses a spare 1-lb. cylinder
Operates from 1-lb. cylinder
Connects to a 20-lb. cylinder
Two heat settings: 6,000 and 12,000 BTU/hr.
Tip over and low oxygen safety shut-off

Is that low oxygen for the flame or for me? And does it really know?
How?

Hmm. I have a 20 pound tank on the grill outside, and a spare on the
other grill.

The cold can make you miserable. I think it's worth
a small risk of monoxide. The big risk is for smokers
whose systems are already loaded with monoxide from
the smoke.

I think the low oxygen sensor works for both people
and the flame.

Please test the unit on the 20 pounder. I suspect
you will need an adaptor or an adaptor hose. Better
to know that NOW, rather than during the next ice
storm when you're freezing cold.

Propane provided in 20# tanks is about half the
price of buying one pounders.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2016 12:18 AM, Micky wrote:

I have a little propane heater, but I think it's really for 49 degree
nights in the woods in a tent, not even for one room when it's 30 out.
I didn't even think of using it. It has frightening warnings about
opening the window so you don't die.

Hmm. one model of your says
Mr. Heater Little Buddy Propane Heater
Item # 411148
Kicks out 3,800 BTU per hour for 5.6 hrs.

That does seem like a lot. I forget what my furnace does.

If memory serves, a pound of propane delivers
21,500 BTU.

In the years I installed furnaces, the smallest
I can remember was probably 60,000 BTU per hour.

My three bedroom mobile home came with 80,000
and I replaced it with a 70,000 BTU per hour
furnace. Heats fine. Recovers from cold rapidly.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 8:39:23 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/14/2016 8:47 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
I wonder if 12 volt DC jacks are made? I've
not seen one. Guess I'm full of non-answers
today? Or maybe not?

I have a impact driver with a cigarette lighter port. It works very well
getting the lug nuts off the wheel. But not so much for scissors jack.
I experimentally with it to see how well it works. it works sort of but
not very effectively... too slow.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Well, there goes another good idea out the
window. I wish someone made a 12 volt jack,
with long enough cord to reach the far
corners of the vehicle. It probably can be
made, but out of the price range of most
peoples needs. Why spend a pile of money on
a jack when you can get AAA and have some
one else change the flat tire?

Please define a "pile of money". Is $60 - $80 a pile of money? (might be
to some, not to others) This is just one of many options available.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bull-EJ2.../dp/B0027Z6F3W

Some come with cables, some don't. Check the specs before buying a cable.

I don't know if the accessory port can handle the draw, so once again,
check the specs on both the vehicle and the jack. I saw one with the
standard accessory port plug, but the description did not include the
power requirements. I don't know if it will work in a "modern" accessory
port, often rated at just 10 Amps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

anyone recommend a good power invertor?
just looking for something to power a corded power
drill from a truck to use as a sort of a power jack
on the scissors jack.

I can't help with the power invertor, but is there some reason you can't
use a cordless drill for that? I have a 20V Dewalt drill and haven't used
a corded drill in years. If the cordless drill isn't strong enough, you
could use a 20V cordless impact driver.

You could buy a cordless drill for the cost of the inverter and cables, and
it would be a lot more useful.

The only time I have used my corded drill in the last 15 years is to drill
large 2-1/4" holes with an auger bit for running plumbing lines. That thing
has super torque that'll rip your arm off if you're not careful.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 9:28:54 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
anyone recommend a good power invertor?
just looking for something to power a corded power
drill from a truck to use as a sort of a power jack
on the scissors jack.

I can't help with the power invertor, but is there some reason you can't
use a cordless drill for that? I have a 20V Dewalt drill and haven't used
a corded drill in years. If the cordless drill isn't strong enough, you
could use a 20V cordless impact driver.

You could buy a cordless drill for the cost of the inverter and cables, and
it would be a lot more useful.

The only time I have used my corded drill in the last 15 years is to drill
large 2-1/4" holes with an auger bit for running plumbing lines. That thing
has super torque that'll rip your arm off if you're not careful.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

I suggested that on page one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 10:28:54 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
anyone recommend a good power invertor?
just looking for something to power a corded power
drill from a truck to use as a sort of a power jack
on the scissors jack.

I can't help with the power invertor, but is there some reason you can't
use a cordless drill for that? I have a 20V Dewalt drill and haven't used
a corded drill in years. If the cordless drill isn't strong enough, you
could use a 20V cordless impact driver.

You could buy a cordless drill for the cost of the inverter and cables, and
it would be a lot more useful.

The only time I have used my corded drill in the last 15 years is to drill
large 2-1/4" holes with an auger bit for running plumbing lines. That thing
has super torque that'll rip your arm off if you're not careful.

I use my corded drill when drilling holes with my Kreg Pocket Hole jig. Kreg
recommends the highest speed possible for cleaner holes and a cooler bit.
Greater than 2K is preferred and many cordless drills don't go that high.

I definitely get cleaner holes with my 2.8K max speed corded drill than
either of my cordless drills. (Using the vacuum attachment on the jig helps
a lot also)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, wow. What a pile of money.

That's a real pile of money, for sure.

..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
On 4/15/2016 9:23 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 12:45:23 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, wow. What a pile of money.

That's a real pile of money, for sure.

.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.
[...]

I have no clue what your (top-post) was supposed to mean.

First you said: "I wish someone made a 12 volt jack..." so I pointed out
that they do. Nothing mean intended, just some info for you.

You also said: "Why spend a pile of money on a jack..." so I *asked* if
$60-$80 was what you defined as a "pile of money" in this case. "A pile
of money" has no defined value and it's meaning can vary between individuals
and/or situations, so I am curious as to what you meant by that.

Why the sarcastic response?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 06:23:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Says right on the jack - maximum current 18 amps. MOST cars fuse the
"accessory port" at 20 amps. so it SHOULD work - I wouldn't use it on
a truck - max load is 2000 lbs so if you only lift one wheel an inch
or two to change tires it could theoretically work on a 7000 lb
vehicle if weight distribution was close (8000 if it was perfect)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 09:58:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Why else?
He's the stormin' Moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 00:22:20 -0400, Micky
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 21:55:20 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:15:53 -0400, Micky
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 18:27:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/13/2016 6:11 PM, Micky wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:41:23 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Since that time, I think I've found out that the
12 volt DC wires they supply are under sized. One
other friend had similar problem, using under size
DC wires. I wonder if you had under sized DC wires?

Well the rating on the converter was far less than that simple drill
required. I had underestimated what the drill needed.

Motors can be rough on invertes. Big start
up current. What was the rating of the
inverter, and of the drill?

They're in the basement somewhere. 20watts for the inverter and 80
watts for the drill maybe. What does a standard 3/8" drill require?

Mine is 5.3 amps - so 636 watts,

So I'm still underestimating. It seems like it uses far less than a
1000 watt electric heater. Like 1/10 of that. But I accept that
I'm wrong.

You need to do a bit of studying on electrical theory Micky. Then
you would be able to answer some of your real simple off-the-wall
questions yourself. Start with ohm's law and the relationship between
volts, amps and watts.

With those 2 concepts nained down, you can ask more intelligent
questions, and understand the answers. (even before you ask the
questions)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 03:23:37 -0400, Micky
wrote:

And finally, it plugs into the cigarette lighter, but it doesn't say
how many amps it uses so we can't judge if the fuse will blow. It's
a motor, so it uses a lot on startup, I learned tonight. And with a
jack, you'll be stopping and starting several times on the way up.

This one could be a problem.

If you pop the picture of the jack up and zoom in it says right on it
" maximum current 18 amps".

I'll agree nothing much in the Chinglish documentation makes much
sense - but that goes along with what I daid about documentation and
Chinese product (whether sold from China or the USA or Canada) - and
mabee take that 18 amps with a few grains of salt as well - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 00:18:27 -0400, Micky
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 21:09:00 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 21:06:30 -0400, Micky
wrote:

It was 3 days and a little bit. It just got colder and colder, until
I coudlnt' take it anymore. It wasn't the dead of winter, just
winter, and Baltimore can have 40 or 50 degrees in the daytime, though
I dont' remember details. It was certainly fine the first day, and
cool the second I suppose. I would normally boil water to raise the
humidity, but my stove is electric too unfortunately. I'm sure I
lasted until the 3rd day but I think it was the fourth.

My four day power cut, I used burners on the
stove. I know to watch for schines of msentalll
confyuuression. I'm ferpectly nermal. In all regartsl. Nouffing wrong, eer.

Turn off the gas, quick!

I had a 22 hour power outage less than a month ago, because of ice
bringing down some main wires. It was around 20 deg outside. I have one
of those Mr. Heaters that I use for camping. I got it out of the garage,
and hooked that up to a 20LB propane tank and got heat. I was just going
to drive to town to buy a spare propane tank, when the power came back
on. So I did not have to drive to town on icy roads. The next day I got
another tank anyhow. If I dont need it at home, I'll need ut when I go
camping....

I have a little propane heater, but I think it's really for 49 degree
nights in the woods in a tent, not even for one room when it's 30 out.
I didn't even think of using it. It has frightening warnings about
opening the window so you don't die.

Hmm. one model of your says
Mr. Heater Little Buddy Propane Heater
Item # 411148
Kicks out 3,800 BTU per hour for 5.6 hrs.

That does seem like a lot. I forget what my furnace does.

Most furnaces are 50,000BTU and up. A few of the mobile home units are
as small as 25000 or 30000BTU

The bigger one for $129 says
Storage space houses a spare 1-lb. cylinder
Operates from 1-lb. cylinder
Connects to a 20-lb. cylinder
Two heat settings: 6,000 and 12,000 BTU/hr.
Tip over and low oxygen safety shut-off

Is that low oxygen for the flame or for me? And does it really know?
How?

Hmm. I have a 20 pound tank on the grill outside, and a spare on the
other grill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 08:54:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/15/2016 12:18 AM, Micky wrote:

I have a little propane heater, but I think it's really for 49 degree
nights in the woods in a tent, not even for one room when it's 30 out.
I didn't even think of using it. It has frightening warnings about
opening the window so you don't die.

Hmm. one model of your says
Mr. Heater Little Buddy Propane Heater
Item # 411148
Kicks out 3,800 BTU per hour for 5.6 hrs.

That does seem like a lot. I forget what my furnace does.

If memory serves, a pound of propane delivers
21,500 BTU.

In the years I installed furnaces, the smallest
I can remember was probably 60,000 BTU per hour.

My three bedroom mobile home came with 80,000
and I replaced it with a 70,000 BTU per hour
furnace. Heats fine. Recovers from cold rapidly.

My 3 bedroom 2 storey plus finished basement has a 35,000/55,000BTU 2
stage furnace here in Ontario Canada and IT is oversized. (the house
is a draft free and reasonably well insulated 40+ year old brick and
aluminum siding structure)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why label me as sarcastic? Is that what
you desire?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
On 4/15/2016 12:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Doh! I didn't look at the label.

MOST cars fuse the
"accessory port" at 20 amps. so it SHOULD work -

Are you sure it's "most"? (just asking, not arguing)

I have 4 vehicles. The 3 Honda's are all fused at 15 and the manuals spec the
ports at 10. I'm not sure about the Ford, it's away at school getting a
Master's degree.

So, in my world, "most" (if not all) of my vehicles are fused at 15, not 20.
That's why I ask.

I wouldn't use it on
a truck - max load is 2000 lbs so if you only lift one wheel an inch
or two to change tires it could theoretically work on a 7000 lb
vehicle if weight distribution was close (8000 if it was perfect)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 1:40:18 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Why have you gone back to non-conventional top-posting after recently
complaining about very-conventional in-line posting?

Why won't you answer my simple question about what you meant by your
"pile of money" response?

Why don't I think I'm going to get a direct answer to any of my questions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

With all this discussion of jacking, I'm surprised no one has mentioned a safe jack to use on uneven ground or even in your driveway. An Exhaust Air Jack. If the car or truck is running, exhaust gas can inflate it in 30 seconds. An air compressor can also be used to inflate the bag. ^_^

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/safet...ustairjack.php

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...haust%20j ack

[8~{} Uncle Jack Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/14/2016 01:15 PM, Micky wrote:

[snip]

What does a standard 3/8" drill require?

Mine requires 5A (600W).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/14/2016 03:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Gasoline power generator can sure be
handy to have. Might be able to borrow
one from a friend, if not already
owned. My generator helped keep me
warm during the 2003 ice storm. Wire the
furnace to a power cord which I cut of
a curbside device of some kind, years
ago. Extension cords. Generator outdoors
away from the house. Chained down.

I used my generator when power was out for several days after the
tornado in May 2015. In that case, it was hot so I used a window air
conditioner on it. Of course it wouldn't cool the whole house, but I
could go in the kitchen to cool off.

There was another time I needed the furnace. When I bought this house,
the furnace had a cord and plug. When I had it replaced 3 years ago, the
new one was connected with a cord and plug. It would be easy to use that
on a generator.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/14/2016 06:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

I don't know how well they would hold up, but Harbor Freight puts one on
sale for about $ 90. It is a 2 cycle as far as I recall. If I did not
already have a 5 Kw I would look into that thing just to see if it would be
worth anything.

Output is 900W maximum, 700W continuous according to the ad I have here.
I wonder if you could use a drill on that.

I have often thought about buying one of the smaller ones that had an
inverter built in because they would run all night on a gallon or so of gas.
Sofar I have not lost power too many times, but if I did have a power loss
problem I would already have one.

Like this one: http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...models/eu2000i
Its easy to carry and quiet with a small load.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/15/2016 07:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

I remember about the same, with my four day power
cut. The first day was adventure, the second was
more cold. Third day was miserable.

Hot showers help a lot,

Yes, I'm remembering a power outage during an ice storm. That hot shower
felt really good. It'd good to have a gas water heater.

to warm me up. Also going
some place in the car lets the vehicle heater warm
me up. When I finally releted and wired my generator
into the furnace, that was the best of all.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ranger power point and lighter fuses are both 20 amp. 2002 Taurus,
same. The PT cruiser manual says the same.. My daughter's 2001 Civic
has a 15 amp fuse for the "power outlet". Other daughter's 2014
Elantra has 15 amp "power outlet". 2014 F150 "cig lignter" 20 amp.
2012 Ram 2500 diesel - power outlet and cig lighter SHARE 20 amp fuse.
2005 Chevy Silvarado, GMC Sierra and Chevy Suburban, Tahoe etc - 20
amp fuse for Aux Power outlet.
2014 Sonata - 20 amp for Cig Lighter.

Just for quick starters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 15:12:59 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 04/14/2016 06:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

I don't know how well they would hold up, but Harbor Freight puts one on
sale for about $ 90. It is a 2 cycle as far as I recall. If I did not
already have a 5 Kw I would look into that thing just to see if it would be
worth anything.

Output is 900W maximum, 700W continuous according to the ad I have here.
I wonder if you could use a drill on that.

I have often thought about buying one of the smaller ones that had an
inverter built in because they would run all night on a gallon or so of gas.
Sofar I have not lost power too many times, but if I did have a power loss
problem I would already have one.

Like this one: http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...models/eu2000i
Its easy to carry and quiet with a small load.

Lifespan is about 150-200 hours max.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 4/15/2016 12:18 AM, Micky wrote:

I have a little propane heater, but I think it's really for 49 degree
nights in the woods in a tent, not even for one room when it's 30 out.
I didn't even think of using it. It has frightening warnings about
opening the window so you don't die.

Hmm. one model of your says
Mr. Heater Little Buddy Propane Heater
Item # 411148
Kicks out 3,800 BTU per hour for 5.6 hrs.

That does seem like a lot. I forget what my furnace does.

If memory serves, a pound of propane delivers
21,500 BTU.

In the years I installed furnaces, the smallest
I can remember was probably 60,000 BTU per hour.

Ah. Much, much bigger. I got 769 on my math SATs and majored in
math but can't remember numbers more than a few minutes.

My three bedroom mobile home came with 80,000
and I replaced it with a 70,000 BTU per hour
furnace. Heats fine. Recovers from cold rapidly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2016 4:12 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
Output is 900W maximum, 700W continuous according to the ad I have here.
I wonder if you could use a drill on that.

700 watts is about 6 amps. The HF drill says
3 point something amps. So, yes, should run a
drill rather nicely.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2016 5:34 PM, wrote:

Like this one:
http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...models/eu2000i
Its easy to carry and quiet with a small load.

Lifespan is about 150-200 hours max.

I've heard that about some small consumer model
gas engines. Makes for an hour a month for ten
years.

When Kodak made disk film cameras, I think they
built them for 120 disks. Figuring a disk a month
for ten years. Not even sure you can get disk film
any more. Between instamatic, 35 MM, and then
digital, the disk film cameras are totally obsolete.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2016 4:30 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/15/2016 07:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

I remember about the same, with my four day power
cut. The first day was adventure, the second was
more cold. Third day was miserable.

Hot showers help a lot,

Yes, I'm remembering a power outage during an ice storm. That hot shower
felt really good. It'd good to have a gas water heater.

I'm fortunate to have gas stove, and gas water
heater. Those were both totally appreciated
during the winter power cut.

After the four day power cut, I bought a marine
battery and power inverter. Figured I could have
an hour of furnace before bed time. Quietly, would
not alert the neighbors "hey! fatty has a
generator!". Turns out the generator did not have
enough starting current to run the blower wheel.
I did try spin it by hand to get it going. Still
no joy. The replacement furnace has a circuit
board. I don't want to risk that to modified sine
power supply.

I did call the company that makes the furnace,
to ask if it would run on mod sine. They suggested
I check with the parts house where I bought it.
The "would you like fries with that" people are
not likely to know the technical details of the
circuit board.

Also likely the DC power wires to the battery were
under sized.

--
..
Christopher A. Young