Posted to alt.home.repair

Default power invertor

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:46:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 1:17:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 06:23:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 8:39:23 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/14/2016 8:47 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
I wonder if 12 volt DC jacks are made? I've
not seen one. Guess I'm full of non-answers
today? Or maybe not?

I have a impact driver with a cigarette lighter port. It works very well
getting the lug nuts off the wheel. But not so much for scissors jack.
I experimentally with it to see how well it works. it works sort of but
not very effectively... too slow.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Well, there goes another good idea out the
window. I wish someone made a 12 volt jack,
with long enough cord to reach the far
corners of the vehicle. It probably can be
made, but out of the price range of most
peoples needs. Why spend a pile of money on
a jack when you can get AAA and have some
one else change the flat tire?

Please define a "pile of money". Is $60 - $80 a pile of money? (might be
to some, not to others) This is just one of many options available.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bull-EJ2.../dp/B0027Z6F3W

Some come with cables, some don't. Check the specs before buying a cable.

I don't know if the accessory port can handle the draw, so once again,
check the specs on both the vehicle and the jack. I saw one with the
standard accessory port plug, but the description did not include the
power requirements. I don't know if it will work in a "modern" accessory
port, often rated at just 10 Amps.

Says right on the jack - maximum current 18 amps.

Doh! I didn't look at the label.

MOST cars fuse the
"accessory port" at 20 amps. so it SHOULD work -

Are you sure it's "most"? (just asking, not arguing)

I have 4 vehicles. The 3 Honda's are all fused at 15 and the manuals spec the
ports at 10. I'm not sure about the Ford, it's away at school getting a
Master's degree.

So, in my world, "most" (if not all) of my vehicles are fused at 15, not 20.
That's why I ask.

I wouldn't use it on
a truck - max load is 2000 lbs so if you only lift one wheel an inch
or two to change tires it could theoretically work on a 7000 lb
vehicle if weight distribution was close (8000 if it was perfect)

Ranger power point and lighter fuses are both 20 amp. 2002 Taurus,
same. The PT cruiser manual says the same.. My daughter's 2001 Civic
has a 15 amp fuse for the "power outlet". Other daughter's 2014
Elantra has 15 amp "power outlet". 2014 F150 "cig lignter" 20 amp.
2012 Ram 2500 diesel - power outlet and cig lighter SHARE 20 amp fuse.
2005 Chevy Silvarado, GMC Sierra and Chevy Suburban, Tahoe etc - 20
amp fuse for Aux Power outlet.
2014 Sonata - 20 amp for Cig Lighter.

Just for quick starters.