Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thoughts on the last snowstorm

Just a few random thoughts after a 9" heavy snowfall yesterday. I was
undecided at first, but went to work anyway.

Remote starters, heated steering wheel, a good snow brush are better
than coffee to start the day. The one I have is like a blade on an
extendable pole. Just push right across the roof or hood.

Going 25 mph on the highway is not so bad. I guess the guy that passed
my but never went ahead thought the same.

All Wheel drive is great on hills. In the past a long hill I take has
been a slippery challenge. With AWD I passed to cars having a difficult
time and did not spin a wheel

Snowblowers are a great invention. If you live in snow country they are
a must if you are over 60. Nah, over 50. Walking behind a machine is
much easier than shoveling.

Hats that cover your ears are a good thing no matter what they look
like. Well insulated gloves make it easier to walk behind a machine
with metal handles.

The tree branches that came down will be good in my smoker come summer.
Maybe it is time to take the tree down?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-02-06, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Going 25 mph on the highway is not so bad. I guess the guy that
passed my but never went ahead thought the same.

Tires are a bigger factor than most ppl realize. Buy the right
brand/type for yer season.

Hats that cover your ears are a good thing no matter what they look
like. Well insulated gloves make it easier to walk behind a machine
with metal handles.

Mittens are better than gloves for keeping yer phalanges warm. My hat
covers my ears.

The tree branches that came down will be good in my smoker come
summer.

Watch that snow!! Last yr, we had a storm of 14 inches of powder
snow. No problem. A week later, we got a mere 5" of the wettest snow
I've ever seen. I call it the "pruning snow" cuz of all the tree
branches that caved under the weight of that incredibly wet five
inches! Caved my golf-cart roof, too!! No kidding. Five inches,
max!, and there were broken tree branches throughout the valley. Now,
I pay attention to jes what kinda snow is falling. 8|

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-02-06, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

3/4 inch of ice is even worse. Brings down whole trees - not just
branches!!!

I have heated grips on my blower and "hot-paws" gloves and my hands
still get cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2016 11:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The tree branches that came down will be good in my smoker come summer.
Maybe it is time to take the tree down?

I'm glad you mentioned that. I pruned an ornamental crab last month and
still have the branches. I'll have to see what it smells like in a smoker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2016 12:40 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/06/2016 11:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The tree branches that came down will be good in my smoker come summer.
Maybe it is time to take the tree down?

I'm glad you mentioned that. I pruned an ornamental crab last month and still
have the branches. I'll have to see what it smells like in a smoker.

When we prune the citrus (rarely), we save the branches -- complete with
foliage -- for a friend's smoker. We don't have the patience to smoke
our own meats, etc. (though he's generous with the pork shoulders!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2016 12:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I don't much consider 9" of snow a heavy snowfall. Where I live, I've
seen much worse than that. Got out the snowblower after it stopped and
had the driveway done in about 40 minutes. I have a very long driveway.

I always keep my ears covered because I'm prone to ear infections. I
don't normally get cold out working in the snow, which is a good thing
since sometimes I have to put on snow shoes to get to the wood pile.

I'm from the south, but I love the winter's up here.

All you need are the right kind of clothes and you're good to go!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 16:20:48 -0600, SeaNymph
wrote:

[...]

When you need to put drift cutters on a 34 inch double beater blower
you KNOW you've had a heavy snow.

Or when you need to use the little blower to get to the 180HP tractor
with the 3 auger 8 foot blower on it.

Back in the sixties and seventies I'd bust snowdrifts over the hood of
the old T234 military power wagon we used as a tow truck.
When I couldn't get through with "Kaw-Liga" we knew we'd had a bad
storm. (Kaw-Liga - from Hank Williams' sang about a "wooden indian")
was the nickname of the old red Texaco PowerWagon)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 1:04:28 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Just a few random thoughts after a 9" heavy snowfall yesterday. I was
undecided at first, but went to work anyway.

Remote starters, heated steering wheel, a good snow brush are better
than coffee to start the day. The one I have is like a blade on an
extendable pole. Just push right across the roof or hood.

I bought one (actually 4) brushes like that this year. 1 for me and 1
for each of my ladies.

I'll use the blade for my windshield but not for any painted surface. I
wouldn't want to take a chance on scratching the paint, no matter what
the claims are. I'm anal. New car or old, I use the 2 bucket method for
washing my cars. The microfiber mitt doesn't go back into the wash water
until it's been wrung out, rinsed in the rinse bucket and wrung out again.

Going 25 mph on the highway is not so bad. I guess the guy that passed
my but never went ahead thought the same.

Slow but steady wins the race.

All Wheel drive is great on hills. In the past a long hill I take has
been a slippery challenge. With AWD I passed to cars having a difficult
time and did not spin a wheel

Full time AWD or Real Time AWD, like Honda uses? SWMBO's Element has
the Real Time All Wheel Drive, which only kicks in when it senses one
of the front wheel slipping. She just bought the E last July, so this
is the first winter in long, long time that I could easily do donuts
in a snow cover parking lot. Man, I missed that. :-)

Based on all the tracks in the mall lot that I went to, I wasn't the only
one that wanted to play that night.

Real Time AWD explained:

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/honda/

Snowblowers are a great invention. If you live in snow country they are
a must if you are over 60. Nah, over 50. Walking behind a machine is
much easier than shoveling.

I bought my first 2 stage snowblower when I turned 54. ;-) Before that I
either shoveled or used whatever beat up single stage blower I found on
the curb or at a garage sale and fixed up.

Size does matter! ;-)

Hats that cover your ears are a good thing no matter what they look
like. Well insulated gloves make it easier to walk behind a machine
with metal handles.

A coworker bought me a Tenergy Bluetooth Beanie for Christmas.

http://tinyurl.com/BT-Beanie

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Wirele...uetooth+beanie

It works great for walking the dog, shovel, etc. but the blower is too loud.
I'd have to crank the beanie and my phone to full volume to barely hear it.
Don't want to do that to my ears. (anymore)

Still, I love my tunes, so I really like the hat.

The tree branches that came down will be good in my smoker come summer.
Maybe it is time to take the tree down?

If it's the tree is weak/diseased, then yes. If it was just because of this
storm, I wouldn't. I love trees enough to put up with occasional problems
they cause. I've been through ice storms and wind storms, lost a car to
a toppled tree and took my 2 year old out of toddler swing seat less than
10 minutes before a huge limb crushed the swing set on a beautiful sunny
day. Still, love 'em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Remember this? It has drift cutters. ;-)

http://www.loran-history.info/port_c...0%20pc46ea.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2016 1:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

My first thought on this thread brought me back to what a hunting buddy
said about the start of each new season and that was it was like your
cherry grew back after the last one and you had to break it again.

I hate driving the first day of a big snow as other drivers have to
relearn their limitations. You will notice that most of the vehicles
stuck on snow banks are four wheelers as drivers don't appreciate that
four wheelers don't brake any better than two wheelers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 19:49:54 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Hats that cover your ears are a good thing no matter what they look
like. Well insulated gloves make it easier to walk behind a machine
with metal handles.

The tree branches that came down will be good in my smoker come summer.
Maybe it is time to take the tree down?

My first thought on this thread brought me back to what a hunting buddy
said about the start of each new season and that was it was like your
cherry grew back after the last one and you had to break it again.

I hate driving the first day of a big snow as other drivers have to
relearn their limitations. You will notice that most of the vehicles
stuck on snow banks are four wheelers as drivers don't appreciate that
four wheelers don't brake any better than two wheelers.

You got that right. I have a 4WD truck, and while the 4WD helps me get
thru the snow, it dont help steer any better on icy roads and dont brake
any better. If the roads get too bad, I dont drive, or if I have to,
I'll drive very slow and sometimes even drive on the gravel shoulder of
the road. I still remember some years ago, when the rural paved road was
so slippery that I slid right into someone yard as soon as I ieft a
gravel road, and got on that paved road. I got out of that yard, with
the help of the homeowner and his tractor. He pulled me across that
paved road right back to the gravel road. (and even his tractor was
sliding). I had to drive a lot further, but I took the gravel road home.
At least that was drivable. I called the sheriffs as soon as I got back
on the gravel road, and told them that paved road was very dangerous.
They told me there were a lot of accidents on it, and they were working
on getting the road crew out there ASAP. I was actually lucky that all I
did was slide into that yard.

There was a rollover near here this week during the snowstorm. It was a
4WD. The woman driver was going too fast. She slid into a ditch, rolled
the truck, but it ended back on its tires. Amazingly, she was not hurt,
and after the truck was towed back onto the road, she drove it home. But
the windshield was broke, all mirror off, and lots of dents. Yet the
doors work fine. The tow driver said she is going to get the windshild
replaced and new mirrors, and will just keep driving it. I wonder what
it looks like??? I only heard about it from the tow driver, who is a
friend of mine.
I also wonder if any damage was done to the drive train. WHen the engine
oil goes into the top of the engine, and the same for tranny fluid and
so on. Not to mention the battery, cooling system and gas tank (when the
fuel pump is running without any gas, for a few seconds).

Posted to alt.home.repair

5:20 PMSeaNymph wrote:
I don't much consider 9" of snow a heavy snowfall. Where I live, I've
seen much worse than that. Got out the snowblower after it stopped and
had the driveway done in about 40 minutes. I have a very long driveway. "

It's not just the height of accumulations, it's
the consistency. 4 inches of wet snow could
prove a real back-breaker compared to 9
inches of pillow feathers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have 2 vans, and use a big garage type push broom to clean off my vehicles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote: "On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 1:04:28 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I have 2 vans, and use a big garage type push broom to clean off my vehicles. "

Here, here!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 17:30:30 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

I have 2 vans, and use a big garage type push broom to clean off my vehicles.

I use a push broom too, but it did not work on the heavy wet crap we got
earlier this week. I ended up using a plastic snow shovel upside down.
Plastic cant really scratch the paint as long as I dont push hard. I
just leave an inch of snow which eventually falls off, or I wipe it off
with my gloves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2016 6:30 PM, bob haller wrote:
I have 2 vans, and use a big garage type push broom to clean off my vehicles.

Must raise hell with your paintjob!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2016 5:20 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

I don't much consider 9" of snow a heavy snowfall. Where I live, I've
seen much worse than that. Got out the snowblower after it stopped and
had the driveway done in about 40 minutes. I have a very long driveway.

The depth does not mean as much as the density. Last year we had a few
storms that ledt 18" to 26" and they did little damage. This one was
wet and heavy and took down a lot of branches and trees. Many people
still without power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 7:50:07 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
[...]

Most? Not where I live.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 8:30:34 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
[...]

How's your paint job doing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 13:04:27 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Just a few random thoughts after a 9" heavy snowfall yesterday. I was
undecided at first, but went to work anyway.

Remote starters, heated steering wheel, a good snow brush are better
than coffee to start the day. The one I have is like a blade on an
extendable pole. Just push right across the roof or hood.

When I have to clear the car, I use a big straw broom. But since I
have a garage, I don't do that anymore. I don't warm my car
beforehand. Just start it and go. It warms up faster with a load on
it. But my wife warms her car. Since she has only a mile to go to
work, I don't nag her about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 9:52:33 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/6/2016 5:20 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

I don't much consider 9" of snow a heavy snowfall. Where I live, I've
seen much worse than that. Got out the snowblower after it stopped and
had the driveway done in about 40 minutes. I have a very long driveway.

The depth does not mean as much as the density. Last year we had a few
storms that ledt 18" to 26" and they did little damage. This one was
wet and heavy and took down a lot of branches and trees. Many people
still without power.

I have blown 4" of powder off of my driveway with a leaf blower
(just for fun).

I have sweated my ass off shoveling 2" of wet stuff.

Nothing sucks more than having to shovel heavy, wet snow when there
is already 2 feet of snow lining both sides of the driveway. It's all
"lift and throw" at that point.

Since a snowblower likes to have snow behind snow to help push it
through the machine, blowing an inch or two doesn't really work.
I split my drive down the middle and push the snow to both sides,
then use my blower to throw it up and over the mounds on the side
of the driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2016 9:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/6/2016 5:20 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

I don't much consider 9" of snow a heavy snowfall. Where I live, I've
seen much worse than that. Got out the snowblower after it stopped and
had the driveway done in about 40 minutes. I have a very long driveway.

The depth does not mean as much as the density. Last year we had a few
storms that ledt 18" to 26" and they did little damage. This one was
wet and heavy and took down a lot of branches and trees. Many people
still without power.

This week, I took a mini vacation. Drove from my
home in western NYS, and visit a friend in South
Carolina (western part of SC). Leaving NYS, the
weather was clear and the roads were dry. About
half way through Pennsylvania, I started noticing
snow on the ground. at one rest area, about seven
or so inches of heavy snow on the grassy areas.
Listening to the radio in VA and NC, they were
talking about power cuts and people in the dark.

The weather guys are saying that next week will
bring another snow storm, so it may very well be
me in the dark next time.

The AM radio was good. Also the DOT put up some
portable signs, there was a traffic mess in
Charlotte NC, and I changed my route to go well
around that. Thank you, Virginia DOT for that
kindness.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2016 9:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 8:30:34 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
I have 2 vans, and use a big garage type push broom to clean off my vehicles.

How's your paint job doing?

My experience in NYS is that road salt is much
more damaging than a push broom.

One of my vehicles has four wheel drive. I've not
needed it yet, and kind of like it that way.
The electric rear defogger is really nice. And
cabin heat for cold weather is good. Power
steering is nice, and automatic transmission.

Last night, I cycled my NiMH rechargable batteries
through the charger. In case I need some light
for the next power cut. Whenever that might be.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thoughts on the last snowstorm (and power cuts)

As another poster mentioned, many people without
power due to the snow storm. Winter power cuts
need heat and light, both. For winter power cuts,
fuel burning light sources are good to have.

Candles are the first thing most folks use. And
careful is needed. Now and again some one will
burn down a house, with candles too close to the
curtains, papers, etc. On the rare moments I burn
candles, I use short stable candles, and use a
metal cake pan or heavy skillet as a base, less
risk of burning down the home. Candles don't put
out much light. Not too bad at night, when your
eyes adjust after a while.

Wick lamps are also good. They can burn ultra pure
or kerosene. There was some thing that went around
about using mineral spirits paint thinner in a wick
lamp. Yes, it does give off a lot of light. It is
also a fire and explosion risk, far too flammable.

Mantle lanterns such as propane or Coleman fuel
are very bright, and plenty enough to read or see
what you're doing (staring at the dark TV screen).

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We don't see much wet snow here, maybe sometimes in the spring when it's
still snowing.

The worst snow I've ever seen was in Valdez, Alaska. Now that's a bit
too much snow for me. They built tunnels to get around in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 10:03:22 AM UTC-5, SeaNymph wrote:

....snip...

We don't see much wet snow here, maybe sometimes in the spring when it's
still snowing.

Lucky you! We can see dry snow then wet snow within hours of each other.

While this winter has been really mild for us so far (he said with crossed
fingers) there was a night when I went out at about 9 PM to clear a couple
of inches of light stuff off the driveway, telling myself it would make the
morning shoveling session a little easier. In reality, I just needed an
excuse to be outside for a little while.

The next morning, another 2 inches were in the driveway but it was wet
and heavy. I pushed it to the sides with my shovel and then blew it onto
the lawn with my blower. No more lifting of the wet stuff for me. If it's
not enough to blow where it lays, I'll pile it up with a push shovel and
then move the pile with my blower.

The worst snow I've ever seen was in Valdez, Alaska. Now that's a bit
too much snow for me. They built tunnels to get around in.

I spent a year in Port Clarence AK, which is about 700 miles NW of
Valdez. The snow would bury one side of the buildings while leaving the
tundra exposed on the other side. It was more about the drifting than
the actual snow fall amounts. The door outside our radio room was on
the windward side, so it would get buried. We would start by shoveling
the snow to both sides of the walkway and then eventually lay plywood
across to pile to create a tunnel and then dig nice neat steps up the
drift to get out of the building.

The steps were built to code, more or less. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 19:23:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

My blower doesn't really care too much how much snow there is or how
wet it is. Our only REAL snowstorm this winter dropped about 8 inches
of slush. Each shovel full must have weighed close to 100 lbs. None of
the neighbours' blowers could handle it but my little Yamaha was
pumping water from my sidewalk clear across the road.like a fire pump.
I plugged it up a few times blowing the slush from the side of the
road to clear the storm drains - particularly after the plow had
plugged them up for the second time
I put over 2 tanks of gass through it that morning.

When we have light fluffy stuff and a west wind (meaning I can't blow
my driveway onto MY front lawn) I blow the snow from my double
driveway right across my neighbour's double driveway onto his front
lawn. Sometimes I have to be carefull it doesn't fill the next
neighbour's driveway..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 7:11:52 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/6/2016 8:50 PM, thekmanroom wrote:
bob haller wrote: "On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 1:04:28 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I have 2 vans, and use a big garage type push broom to clean off my vehicles. "

Here, here!

Where, where?

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Never heard that expression before, where
you're in agreement with someone?

s'wrong with you people?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 12:47:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 7:11:52 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/6/2016 8:50 PM, thekmanroom wrote:
bob haller wrote: "On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 1:04:28 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I have 2 vans, and use a big garage type push broom to clean off my vehicles. "

Here, here!

Where, where?

--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.
www.lds.org
.
.

Never heard that expression before, where
you're in agreement with someone?

Yes but it's not
here here" it's Hear Hear"!!

Like "I hear ya"
s'wrong with you people?

Posted to alt.home.repair

cl wrote: "- show quoted text -
Yes but it's not
here here" it's Hear Hear"!!

Like "I hear ya"

Dude, take it easy on dyslexics, will ya?

lol (:

What are your thoughts on this? Atila Iskander Woodworking 0 October 8th 12 01:42 AM
What are your thoughts on this? ChairMan[_5_] Woodworking 3 September 11th 12 10:00 PM
Thoughts for the day Tim Wescott Metalworking 8 September 4th 08 05:58 PM
Thoughts Ghodges2 Woodturning 53 November 21st 04 07:52 AM
Lava Lamp - snowstorm problem Zizz UK diy 8 December 10th 03 01:12 AM