Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thoughts on the last snowstorm

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 19:23:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 9:52:33 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/6/2016 5:20 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

I don't much consider 9" of snow a heavy snowfall. Where I live, I've
seen much worse than that. Got out the snowblower after it stopped and
had the driveway done in about 40 minutes. I have a very long driveway.

The depth does not mean as much as the density. Last year we had a few
storms that ledt 18" to 26" and they did little damage. This one was
wet and heavy and took down a lot of branches and trees. Many people
still without power.

I have blown 4" of powder off of my driveway with a leaf blower
(just for fun).

I have sweated my ass off shoveling 2" of wet stuff.

Nothing sucks more than having to shovel heavy, wet snow when there
is already 2 feet of snow lining both sides of the driveway. It's all
"lift and throw" at that point.

Since a snowblower likes to have snow behind snow to help push it
through the machine, blowing an inch or two doesn't really work.
I split my drive down the middle and push the snow to both sides,
then use my blower to throw it up and over the mounds on the side
of the driveway.

My blower doesn't really care too much how much snow there is or how
wet it is. Our only REAL snowstorm this winter dropped about 8 inches
of slush. Each shovel full must have weighed close to 100 lbs. None of
the neighbours' blowers could handle it but my little Yamaha was
pumping water from my sidewalk clear across the road.like a fire pump.
I plugged it up a few times blowing the slush from the side of the
road to clear the storm drains - particularly after the plow had
plugged them up for the second time
I put over 2 tanks of gass through it that morning.

When we have light fluffy stuff and a west wind (meaning I can't blow
my driveway onto MY front lawn) I blow the snow from my double
driveway right across my neighbour's double driveway onto his front
lawn. Sometimes I have to be carefull it doesn't fill the next
neighbour's driveway..