Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Thoughts on the last snowstorm

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 1:04:28 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Just a few random thoughts after a 9" heavy snowfall yesterday. I was
undecided at first, but went to work anyway.

Remote starters, heated steering wheel, a good snow brush are better
than coffee to start the day. The one I have is like a blade on an
extendable pole. Just push right across the roof or hood.

I bought one (actually 4) brushes like that this year. 1 for me and 1
for each of my ladies.

I'll use the blade for my windshield but not for any painted surface. I
wouldn't want to take a chance on scratching the paint, no matter what
the claims are. I'm anal. New car or old, I use the 2 bucket method for
washing my cars. The microfiber mitt doesn't go back into the wash water
until it's been wrung out, rinsed in the rinse bucket and wrung out again.

Going 25 mph on the highway is not so bad. I guess the guy that passed
my but never went ahead thought the same.

Slow but steady wins the race.

All Wheel drive is great on hills. In the past a long hill I take has
been a slippery challenge. With AWD I passed to cars having a difficult
time and did not spin a wheel

Full time AWD or Real Time AWD, like Honda uses? SWMBO's Element has
the Real Time All Wheel Drive, which only kicks in when it senses one
of the front wheel slipping. She just bought the E last July, so this
is the first winter in long, long time that I could easily do donuts
in a snow cover parking lot. Man, I missed that. :-)

Based on all the tracks in the mall lot that I went to, I wasn't the only
one that wanted to play that night.

Real Time AWD explained:

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/honda/

Snowblowers are a great invention. If you live in snow country they are
a must if you are over 60. Nah, over 50. Walking behind a machine is
much easier than shoveling.

I bought my first 2 stage snowblower when I turned 54. ;-) Before that I
either shoveled or used whatever beat up single stage blower I found on
the curb or at a garage sale and fixed up.

Size does matter! ;-)

Hats that cover your ears are a good thing no matter what they look
like. Well insulated gloves make it easier to walk behind a machine
with metal handles.

A coworker bought me a Tenergy Bluetooth Beanie for Christmas.

http://tinyurl.com/BT-Beanie

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Wirele...uetooth+beanie

It works great for walking the dog, shovel, etc. but the blower is too loud.
I'd have to crank the beanie and my phone to full volume to barely hear it.
Don't want to do that to my ears. (anymore)

Still, I love my tunes, so I really like the hat.

The tree branches that came down will be good in my smoker come summer.
Maybe it is time to take the tree down?

If it's the tree is weak/diseased, then yes. If it was just because of this
storm, I wouldn't. I love trees enough to put up with occasional problems
they cause. I've been through ice storms and wind storms, lost a car to
a toppled tree and took my 2 year old out of toddler swing seat less than
10 minutes before a huge limb crushed the swing set on a beautiful sunny
day. Still, love 'em.