Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bidet (is that the right word)?

Bidet (is that the right word)?

I know that these are popular in foreign countries, but not in the U.S.
The way I understand it, when you finish pooping, some clean water
sprays and cleans your butt. I'm guessing there is a lever or button to
make it spray. I have to ask, out of curiousity. Do people still use
toilet paper? If not, I'd think this Bidet would pay for itself on T.P.
savings, and for those who have septic systems, would save on tank
pumping costs.

I'm considering trying to find one of these, assuming it fits in the
same space as a standard toilet, especially if it saves on T.P. Not that
T.P. is a huge expense, but pumping my septic is costly, and more than
once the sewer pipe has frozen on winter due to a wad of T.P. sitting in
the pipe. The pipes were installed properly, but the tank is over 100Ft.
from the house so there is a lot of distance for solids to travel. I've
even gone so far as to toss the used T.P. in a waste basket (with lid)
during the winter to prevent annoying and costly pipe clogs.

I wonder why U.S. people dont want clean butts

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/2/2015 7:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

You can buy toilet seats with build in bidets, you don't need a new
toilet. Costco often has them, in store, (from Korea) for around
$150-200. Online see
http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId =-1&refine=&keyword=bidet

There is a remote control to select the cycle based on the gender of the
user, and the water pressure you want. Just be careful. I once pressed
the wrong button (female front) and got my balls washed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 10:33:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Where traditional bidets are used, they are in addition to a standard
toilet. There are fancy Japanese toilets costing up to $10K,
that combine a bidet function into the toilet, including electronic
controls, etc. AFAIK, you still use TP with those too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 02 Oct 2015 09:31:28 -0500,
wrote:

Bidet (is that the right word)?

I know that these are popular in foreign countries, but not in the U.S.
The way I understand it, when you finish pooping, some clean water

You're talking about a combination toilet-bidet. A mere bidet doesn't
permit pooping because it has no adequate flushing.

I may have posted here about the apartment remodel I wired. Despite
the ritzy n'hood, the building qualified as a tenement, I think, because
it had only one bathroom per floor. The owner, who planned to rent it,
I think, thought that would be a big drawback. She couldn't get
permission to put a toilet in the aparment because the drain pipe for
one is rather large (you may have noticed.) But she could get
permission to install a bidet, which she had done. The bidet-only used
the same size drain as the sink. She expected that it would be used
only for urination, but people do that a lot more often.

Of course when I broke my leg and it took 16 hours to get to the
hostpital, and maybe the orthopedist didnt' set it right or didn't keep
me in bed long enough, and I was in a hotel with only a sink and no
bathroom in my room, and I could only stand for 30 seconds before the
pain was enormous, I learned that a sink can be used for more than
washing one's hands. But even then, not for pooping.

sprays and cleans your butt. I'm guessing there is a lever or button to
make it spray. I have to ask, out of curiousity. Do people still use
toilet paper?

If it's a toilet, I think so. If it's a mere bidet, I guess not
because there's no adequate way to get rid of the toilet paper. Except
the waste basket. You'd have to ask a woman and not too many read this
group.

If not, I'd think this Bidet would pay for itself on T.P.
savings, and for those who have septic systems, would save on tank
pumping costs.

I'm considering trying to find one of these, assuming it fits in the
same space as a standard toilet, especially if it saves on T.P. Not that
T.P. is a huge expense, but pumping my septic is costly, and more than
once the sewer pipe has frozen on winter due to a wad of T.P. sitting in
the pipe. The pipes were installed properly, but the tank is over 100Ft.
from the house so there is a lot of distance for solids to travel. I've
even gone so far as to toss the used T.P. in a waste basket (with lid)
during the winter to prevent annoying and costly pipe clogs.

I wonder why U.S. people dont want clean butts

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 02 Oct 2015 11:22:25 -0400, micky
wrote:

I may have posted here about the apartment remodel I wired. Despite
the ritzy n'hood, the building qualified as a tenement, I think, because
it had only one bathroom per floor. The owner, who planned to rent it,
I think, thought that would be a big drawback. She couldn't get
permission to put a toilet in the aparment because the drain pipe for
one is rather large (you may have noticed.)

Of course she could have gotten permission if she'd been willing to pay
for a large drain all the way from her bathroom, on the second or third
floor, to some place where it would connect to the a large drain. Big
bucks.

But she could get
permission to install a bidet, which she had done. The bidet-only used
the same size drain as the sink. She expected that it would be used
only for urination, but people do that a lot more often.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When I was in Turkey a couple months ago I was pleasantly pleased with
the toilets there. There is an additional spout near the top of the
bowl with a separate water valve that you control. It sprays water
toward you and you can adjust the aim by moving your butt around a bit.
The toilet wasn't anything fancy and all it had was an extra hole and
extra valve and hose.
http://www.thisisturkey.net/images/toilet.JPG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2015 10:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

If you are young and don't have any hemorrhoids or other anatomic issues
in that location, and your stool is always fairly dry and firm, you
might be "clean" after a bidet spray. However, you're probably at least
borderline constipated. For those of us who have lived longer and don't
have pristine anatomy down there, or have softer stool due to any one of
many possible causes, the bidet is definitely insufficient to prevent
skid marks. Only the use of toilet paper can do the job that needs to
be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/2015 12:20 PM, Retirednoguilt wrote:

[snip]

If you are young and don't have any hemorrhoids or other anatomic issues
in that location, and your stool is always fairly dry and firm, you
might be "clean" after a bidet spray. However, you're probably at least
borderline constipated. For those of us who have lived longer and don't
have pristine anatomy down there, or have softer stool due to any one of
many possible causes, the bidet is definitely insufficient to prevent
skid marks. Only the use of toilet paper can do the job that needs to
be done.

But you can use a lot less. This also almost eliminates overflowing
toilets (from too much paper).

--
84 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sex education classes are like in-home sales parties for abortions."
[Phyllis Schlafly]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Possibly because the use of corncobs is in the not so distant past. For me,
I prefer other methodology which is why I installed a bidet a couple of
weeks ago.

Not a full blown, porcelain fixture (no room and wouldn't want one), not a
seat with one built in (ridiculously pricey) but a separate unit that fits
UNDER the toilet seat. They are in the $20 to $100 range, most $30-$60,
mine was $30, all have plastic cases, mine has brass innards. Check Amazon.

Easy install...take off toilet seat, set bidet gizmo on throne, replace
seat, hook gizmo to tank inlet using the included "T" and you are in
business. They have a valve, flow is adjustable. The flow emanates from a
small tube at the rear center which partially retracts when there is no
flow. Some units have a slide to slightly change the angle of the tube. Some
have a mixing valve which means you also have to hook to hot water too or
buy a unit with a heater which means an electrical outlet. Cold water is
fine for me.

Now as to their effectiveness: I am told I have hemorrhoids but I have never
looked. Since installing the thing I have passed things close to the size
of a pony penis and other that looks like cow plop. And all in between.
The bidet has worked well. Yes, you still have to use toilet paper if only
to dry your butt but mostly to aid in the removal of residual material
before squirting yourself again. Moving your butt to direct the stream most
effectively helps.

Do I like it? Resounding YES! I am 82, back has seen better days, all
joints are stiff, overweight too...all make reaching one's nether regions
difficult and this has been a big help. I'm saving a bundle on TP too, will
save more because my (younger and still agile) wife wants one too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark,

I'd think that it would take a huge wad to dry out your dripping butt. I
don't see a saving here. What's your plan?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/2/2015 3:51 PM, David L. Martel wrote:
Mark,

I'd think that it would take a huge wad to dry out your dripping
butt. I don't see a saving here. What's your plan?

Dave M.

All of the bidet seats I've seen also have warm-air dryers built in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 2 Oct 2015 15:56:31 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 10/2/2015 3:51 PM, David L. Martel wrote:
Mark,

I'd think that it would take a huge wad to dry out your dripping
butt. I don't see a saving here. What's your plan?

Dave M.

All of the bidet seats I've seen also have warm-air dryers built in.

Who has time to wait that long. And if I have time, I still don't want
to wait.

I won't use the hot air hand dryers in public bathrooms for the same
reason, but mostly because of the noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2015 5:36 PM, micky wrote:

All of the bidet seats I've seen also have warm-air dryers built in.

I always thought a bidet was for *women's* use. Not intended to remove
any "clinging mass".

Who has time to wait that long. And if I have time, I still don't want
to wait.

I won't use the hot air hand dryers in public bathrooms for the same
reason, but mostly because of the noise.

The hot air dryers are more sanitary -- as are the "hospital style"
faucets (assuming they don't have Ir controlled faucets).

[Note that doctors don't typically touch the sink hardware after
scrubbing]

Some of the hot air driers use a focused sheet of air to sort of "squeegee"
the water off your hands, instead of evaporating it.

But, all of these fall down because you still have to (typically push)
open the door (that everyone else has handled before you!) to exit
the bathroom! (wiser move is to use a paper towel to dry hands; then
use that towel to open the door, discarding it AFTER opening the door)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 02 Oct 2015 17:42:14 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/2/2015 5:36 PM, micky wrote:

Who has time to wait that long. And if I have time, I still don't want
to wait.

I won't use the hot air hand dryers in public bathrooms for the same
reason, but mostly because of the noise.

The hot air dryers are more sanitary -- as are the "hospital style"
faucets (assuming they don't have Ir controlled faucets).

I suppose but I haven't been sick with an infection for years. Any
medical problems I've had have been mechanical, or my overfunctioning
parathyroid, which I don't think is caused by germs.

[Note that doctors don't typically touch the sink hardware after
scrubbing]

When I was in college, I had fantasies about med school and I joined the
pre-med club. I think the only two activities it had was matching up
pairs of members and telling them when they could go to an autopsy or
surgery. I did both.

For surgery, I met some girl there at 7 or 8 in the morning and someone
who worked there us told us where to go. The first room was brain
surgery on a child, so the table was so crowded we couldn't get close
enough to see anything, The second room had the consul general of
Sweden, who was having abdominal surgery. Now this was a famous
university with a famous teaching hospital. I don't think we had gowns
on, and I know we didn't have gloves or masks

When we walked into the room, after a couple minutes the doctors and
nurse split so we could get close. His side was maybe 8 inches or less
from me and I was leaning over, closer and closer until my face was less
than 2 feet, probably about 18 inches, from his wide open gut. No one
told me to hold my breath, but it seemed like the polite thing to do.
Finally, I feared that my shoe would slip on the smooth floor and I
would fall face first into his abdomen, so I straightened up. No lie.
That's exactly what happened. No one had warned me about anything or
told me to straighten up or stop.

Oh, yeah, we hadn't washed our hands either, except while waiting I may
have gone to the toilet and washed my hands then, but they didn't ask.

However, I was careful not to stick my hand inside him. Etiquette, you
know.

I guess since it was a top-notch school, the doctors figured we'd be
smart enough to keep our hands out of him.

I don't remember how close she got. Maybe like me but she didn't bend
over much. And each organ was a different color, just like in a drawing
of the abdomen. This was before anyone cared about minimally invasive
and the open area was as big as a dinner plate, or maybe a square in
which a dinner-plate-sized circle could be inscribed.

And this wasn't the 19th century. It was about 1965.

Some of the hot air driers use a focused sheet of air to sort of "squeegee"
the water off your hands, instead of evaporating it.

But, all of these fall down because you still have to (typically push)
open the door (that everyone else has handled before you!) to exit
the bathroom! (wiser move is to use a paper towel to dry hands; then
use that towel to open the door, discarding it AFTER opening the door)

I've heard this. If I make it to old age, I may feel more vulnerable
and try harder to stay well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 1:05 AM, micky wrote:

Some of the hot air driers use a focused sheet of air to sort of "squeegee"
the water off your hands, instead of evaporating it.

But, all of these fall down because you still have to (typically push)
open the door (that everyone else has handled before you!) to exit
the bathroom! (wiser move is to use a paper towel to dry hands; then
use that towel to open the door, discarding it AFTER opening the door)

I've heard this. If I make it to old age, I may feel more vulnerable
and try harder to stay well.

I don't sweat the little things when visiting friends' homes, etc.

OTOH, when I'm in a public bathroom in a store frequented by
all sorts of folks -- some of whom may be ill, just handled
their privates, just changed their child's diaper (on the
changing tables that are present in rest rooms), etc. -- I
try to be a bit more careful about where I put my hands
that *they* might also have done in the course of using the
"facilities".

Likewise, watch to see where they *seat* their kids (leaking diapers?)
in the shopping cart and consider what *you* may put in those same
places *in* the cart! :

[Or, the waiting room at doctor's office, etc.]

OToOH, I don't think I've ever availed myself of the "wipes"
that most stores now seem to have by the front entrance -- despite
seeing folks use them to elaborately wipe down their shopping
carts! There's some inherent "risk" with being "out in public".
If you're a germophobe, then that's not the place for you!

OTOoOH (three-handed Martian?), I've spent hundreds of hours
doing volunteer work at places where folks have come away with
MRSA skin infections from the sorts of items we routinely handled.

shrug

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 8:41:52 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

The hot air dryers are more sanitary -- as are the "hospital style"
faucets (assuming they don't have Ir controlled faucets).

[Note that doctors don't typically touch the sink hardware after
scrubbing]

Some of the hot air driers use a focused sheet of air to sort of "squeegee"
the water off your hands, instead of evaporating it.

But, all of these fall down because you still have to (typically push)
open the door (that everyone else has handled before you!) to exit
the bathroom! (wiser move is to use a paper towel to dry hands; then
use that towel to open the door, discarding it AFTER opening the door)

A recent article in a medical journal debunked the claim that hot air dryers are a more sanitary way to dry hands. They found that there are usually residual pathogenic bacteria on or near the washed areas that get blown into the air and dispersed widely within the bathroom. They concluded that hot air hand dryers are hazardous to health compared with using disposable paper towels that don't require the user to touch a surface in order to access the towels.

As far as public bathroom door handles are concerned, I always take a dry, clean paper towel to the door with me and use it to open the handle. Usually there's a waste basket nearby. If not, I just hold it for the few minutes it takes to find one. If the bathroom only uses hot air hand dryers, I use them with regret and then get some clean toilet tissue in my hand to open the handle of the bathroom door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 5:35 AM, Don Y wrote:

I don't sweat the little things when visiting friends' homes, etc.

OTOH, when I'm in a public bathroom in a store frequented by
all sorts of folks -- some of whom may be ill, just handled
their privates, just changed their child's diaper (on the
changing tables that are present in rest rooms), etc. -- I
try to be a bit more careful about where I put my hands
that *they* might also have done in the course of using the
"facilities".

If I'm just using the urinal, many times it is more sanitary to just
leave rather than wash your hands with questionable faucets and air
dryers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 8:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/3/2015 5:35 AM, Don Y wrote:

I don't sweat the little things when visiting friends' homes, etc.

OTOH, when I'm in a public bathroom in a store frequented by
all sorts of folks -- some of whom may be ill, just handled
their privates, just changed their child's diaper (on the
changing tables that are present in rest rooms), etc. -- I
try to be a bit more careful about where I put my hands
that *they* might also have done in the course of using the
"facilities".

If I'm just using the urinal, many times it is more sanitary to just
leave rather than wash your hands with questionable faucets and air dryers.

True... You may not know where others' hands have been, but you know
where you...

Reminds me of the old joke about the sailor and the Marine taking a whiz
in the public restroom (okay, diehards, in the head). They finish up
and the sailor goes to walk out without washing his hands and the Marine
sez, "Hey, Swabby, in the Marines they teach us to wash our hands after
we go to the bathroom!"

Without batting an eye or slowing in his exit the Swab's retort is,
"...and in the Navy they teach us not to **** on our fingers!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 09:53:10 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote
in

On 10/3/2015 5:35 AM, Don Y wrote:

I don't sweat the little things when visiting friends' homes, etc.

OTOH, when I'm in a public bathroom in a store frequented by
all sorts of folks -- some of whom may be ill, just handled
their privates, just changed their child's diaper (on the
changing tables that are present in rest rooms), etc. -- I
try to be a bit more careful about where I put my hands
that *they* might also have done in the course of using the
"facilities".

If I'm just using the urinal, many times it is more sanitary to just
leave rather than wash your hands with questionable faucets and air
dryers.

Seems to me we have it backwards. Men should wash their hands before
going to P. I never put my Johnson anywhere dirty. My hands often
are in dirty greasy places.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 7:40 AM, CRNG wrote:

If I'm just using the urinal, many times it is more sanitary to just
leave rather than wash your hands with questionable faucets and air
dryers.

Seems to me we have it backwards. Men should wash their hands before
going to P. I never put my Johnson anywhere dirty. My hands often
are in dirty greasy places.

+1

But, notice how many strange looks you get when you come *into* a rest room
and immediately go to wash your hands -- *then* do your business! Then, wash
*again*! All from folks who probably NEVER wash theirs! :

When baking, it's a must (before and after). Having a flour-coated
pecker feels (and *looks*) really "unnatural"! Likewise for butter
or most other "ingredients"!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/2015 05:51 PM, David L. Martel wrote:
Mark,

I'd think that it would take a huge wad to dry out your dripping
butt. I don't see a saving here. What's your plan?

Dave M.

It doesn't take that much, and it's clean so only one wipe needed.

--
83 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Jesus is real! I saw him at a party last week, he was playing quarters
with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 08:12:24 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

When baking, it's a must (before and after). Having a flour-coated
pecker feels (and *looks*) really "unnatural"! Likewise for butter
or most other "ingredients"!

The voice of experience, eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 10:12:04 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 10/3/2015 7:40 AM, CRNG wrote:

If I'm just using the urinal, many times it is more sanitary to just
leave rather than wash your hands with questionable faucets and air
dryers.

Seems to me we have it backwards. Men should wash their hands before
going to P. I never put my Johnson anywhere dirty. My hands often
are in dirty greasy places.

+1

But, notice how many strange looks you get when you come *into* a rest room
and immediately go to wash your hands -- *then* do your business! Then, wash
*again*! All from folks who probably NEVER wash theirs! :

When baking, it's a must (before and after). Having a flour-coated
pecker feels (and *looks*) really "unnatural"! Likewise for butter
or most other "ingredients"!

If you're one of those guys who likes to cook with those hollowpenis peppers, you better wash your hands before handling Mr.Happy. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ouch Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When baking, it's a must (before and after). Having a flour-coated
pecker feels (and *looks*) really "unnatural"! Likewise for butter
or most other "ingredients"!

The voice of experience, eh?

One of the cookies that I bake is glazed with a syrupy solution
of milk, XXX sugar and almond extract. Died *blue*.

The cookies are "dunked" in a bowl of this slop. Then, rolled
around between your fingers. Then, set out on waxed paper for
the glaze to cure.

After a few cookies (a batch is 20-40 dozen), your fingers
become encrusted with dried sugar. Blue sugar. That has
an overpowering almond scent.

Imagine what *that* would look/feel like "down below"? The syrup is
disgusting enough where you *must* deal with it (on your hands!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/3/2015 5:35 AM, Don Y wrote:

I don't sweat the little things when visiting friends' homes, etc.

OTOH, when I'm in a public bathroom in a store frequented by
all sorts of folks -- some of whom may be ill, just handled
their privates, just changed their child's diaper (on the
changing tables that are present in rest rooms), etc. -- I
try to be a bit more careful about where I put my hands
that *they* might also have done in the course of using the
"facilities".

If I'm just using the urinal, many times it is more sanitary to just
leave rather than wash your hands with questionable faucets and air
dryers.

A marine and a sailor are in a restroom taking leaks. The marine finshes
and goes to wash his hands. The sailor finishes and heads for the door...

Marine: Hey, swabbie, didn't your mother teach you to wash your hands after
urinating?

Sailor: No, she taught me not to **** on my hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When baking, it's a must (before and after). Having a flour-coated
pecker feels (and *looks*) really "unnatural"! Likewise for butter
or most other "ingredients"!

The voice of experience, eh?

One of the cookies that I bake is glazed with a syrupy solution
of milk, XXX sugar and almond extract. Died *blue*.

The cookies are "dunked" in a bowl of this slop. Then, rolled
around between your fingers. Then, set out on waxed paper for
the glaze to cure.

After a few cookies (a batch is 20-40 dozen), your fingers
become encrusted with dried sugar. Blue sugar. That has
an overpowering almond scent.

Imagine what *that* would look/feel like "down below"? The syrup is
disgusting enough where you *must* deal with it (on your hands!)

Smurf pecker! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Blue Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 11:12 AM, Don Y wrote:

But, notice how many strange looks you get when you come *into* a rest
room
and immediately go to wash your hands -- *then* do your business! Then,
wash
*again*! All from folks who probably NEVER wash theirs! :

When baking, it's a must (before and after). Having a flour-coated
pecker feels (and *looks*) really "unnatural"! Likewise for butter
or most other "ingredients"!

Are you sure about the butter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 9:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/3/2015 11:12 AM, Don Y wrote:

But, notice how many strange looks you get when you come *into* a rest
room
and immediately go to wash your hands -- *then* do your business! Then,
wash
*again*! All from folks who probably NEVER wash theirs! :

When baking, it's a must (before and after). Having a flour-coated
pecker feels (and *looks*) really "unnatural"! Likewise for butter
or most other "ingredients"!

Are you sure about the butter?

grin Remind me, if I ever have the chance, to *not* butter my bread
(or anything else!) if invited to dinner at YOUR house!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 12:46:27 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

If I'm just using the urinal, many times it is more sanitary to just
leave rather than wash your hands with questionable faucets and air
dryers.

A marine and a sailor are in a restroom taking leaks. The marine finshes
and goes to wash his hands. The sailor finishes and heads for the door...

Marine: Hey, swabbie, didn't your mother teach you to wash your hands after
urinating?

Sailor: No, she taught me not to **** on my hand.

Army Rangers lead the way

Hooah!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 03 Oct 2015 02:35:03 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

OTOoOH (three-handed Martian?), I've spent hundreds of hours
doing volunteer work at places where folks have come away with
MRSA skin infections from the sorts of items we routinely handled.

What kind of places are those, where volunteers or others get MRSA?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OTOoOH (three-handed Martian?), I've spent hundreds of hours
doing volunteer work at places where folks have come away with
MRSA skin infections from the sorts of items we routinely handled.

What kind of places are those, where volunteers or others get MRSA?

We processed medical and industrial "cast offs" (not really "waste"
but, rather, things that *could* have continued value -- most often in
another, "less fortunate" country!). One day, I helped another
guy drag an 18" x 18" x 36" of (used) "suture scissors" into the
building (forklift couldn't fit through the doorway).

Imagine looking into a box full of small, stainless steel scissors
with their little "mouths" agape -- and wondering what sort of
germs each may have individually been contaminated with?! No way
in hell do you want to put your *hand* into said box!

Staph is all around us, all the time. All you need is exposure to
a particularly nasty strain and a "skin scratch" for it to get a
foothold. Gives one renewed respect for the days before antibiotics!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OTOoOH (three-handed Martian?), I've spent hundreds of hours
doing volunteer work at places where folks have come away with
MRSA skin infections from the sorts of items we routinely handled.

What kind of places are those, where volunteers or others get MRSA?

We processed medical and industrial "cast offs" (not really "waste"
but, rather, things that *could* have continued value -- most often in
another, "less fortunate" country!). One day, I helped another
guy drag an 18" x 18" x 36" of (used) "suture scissors" into the
building (forklift couldn't fit through the doorway).

Imagine looking into a box full of small, stainless steel scissors
with their little "mouths" agape -- and wondering what sort of
germs each may have individually been contaminated with?! No way
in hell do you want to put your *hand* into said box!

I wouldn't do it either, but don't they run these things through the
sterilizers before they get rid of them.

Staph is all around us, all the time. All you need is exposure to
a particularly nasty strain and a "skin scratch" for it to get a
foothold. Gives one renewed respect for the days before antibiotics!

Indeed. I don't ask for antibiotics when I have a cold, but I gather all
those who do are creating antibiotic-resistant germs that may punish me
as much as the people who encouraged their development.

Still, my mother was a bit shocked when I told her that I didn't cover
public toilet seats with toilet paper before I sat on them. No
diseases yet. I think a lot of women would burst rather than sit on a
public toilet. I don't know how they travel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 3 Oct 2015 05:37:36 -0700 (PDT),
retirednoguilt wrote:

[...]

So doesn't this endanger everyone in a moderately busy bathroom, not
just the ones that use the hot air. Surely if they're floating around
they're still floating 10, 20 minutes later, An hour? Two?

They concluded that hot air hand dryers are hazardous to health compared with using disposable paper towels that don't require the user to touch a surface in order to access the towels.

As far as public bathroom door handles are concerned, I always take a dry, clean paper towel to the door with me and use it to open the handle. Usually there's a waste basket nearby. If not, I just hold it for the few minutes it takes to find one. If the bathroom only uses hot air hand dryers, I use them with regret and then get some clean toilet tissue in my hand to open the handle of the bathroom door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2015 2:32 AM, micky wrote:

Imagine looking into a box full of small, stainless steel scissors
with their little "mouths" agape -- and wondering what sort of
germs each may have individually been contaminated with?! No way
in hell do you want to put your *hand* into said box!

I wouldn't do it either, but don't they run these things through the
sterilizers before they get rid of them.

You know nothing of how (or why) they have come to you. If someone
hands you a handgun, do you assume the safety is ON and it is
UNLOADED? :

All you know for sure is they are sharp and probably will have no
problem cutting your skin. They are "uncovered" and may have been
"stored" like this for months or years (while exposed to whatever).

Why is someone "discarding" these items if they could just as
easily sterilize/autoclave them and reuse them?

Staph is all around us, all the time. All you need is exposure to
a particularly nasty strain and a "skin scratch" for it to get a
foothold. Gives one renewed respect for the days before antibiotics!

Indeed. I don't ask for antibiotics when I have a cold, but I gather all
those who do are creating antibiotic-resistant germs that may punish me
as much as the people who encouraged their development.

The same is true of vaccinations. There is a minimum coverage factor
that protects the *population* (prevents an "outbreak" from
getting established). Yet, folks seem to think it should be their
"choice".

Still, my mother was a bit shocked when I told her that I didn't cover
public toilet seats with toilet paper before I sat on them. No
diseases yet. I think a lot of women would burst rather than sit on a
public toilet. I don't know how they travel.

How does the word "spline" mean curved (and why not just usethe word curved)? David Howard Woodworking 17 October 12th 14 03:21 PM
WC or bidet? Local hero UK diy 6 September 10th 13 06:30 PM
bidet - which way to you face? RobertL UK diy 45 November 14th 08 01:45 AM
Bidet installation dean Home Repair 22 February 16th 06 01:22 PM
Plumbing a bidet Peter Taylor UK diy 22 March 17th 04 09:38 AM