Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bidet - which way to you face?

Bidets sold for the UK market all seem to have the taps on the wall
side of the unit which is not as i remember them being in the past.
My memory is that the french ones have the taps at the front edge
with the little 'jet' squirting towards the back and you sat facing
into the room.

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

confused,
Cambridge
(Robert)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
Bidets sold for the UK market all seem to have the taps on the wall
side of the unit which is not as i remember them being in the past.
My memory is that the french ones have the taps at the front edge
with the little 'jet' squirting towards the back and you sat facing
into the room.

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

confused,
Cambridge
(Robert)

The wikipedia entry has operating instructions.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message

Bidets sold for the UK market all seem to have the taps on the wall
side of the unit which is not as i remember them being in the past.
My memory is that the french ones have the taps at the front edge
with the little 'jet' squirting towards the back and you sat facing
into the room.

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

confused,
Cambridge
(Robert)

I prefer the taps at the back. You see, being male, trying to negotiate
taps at the front is difficult. In fact, I think men all over the world
prefer the taps at the back. I want to use a bidet, not practice getting on
and off a bicycle. :-)

The center douche is best aimed slightly towards the back of the bowl, as
you face the front. It hits the spot a lot more efficiently like that. :-)

Bidet translation = Coventry Fanny Splasher

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
Bidets sold for the UK market all seem to have the taps on the wall
side of the unit which is not as i remember them being in the past.
My memory is that the french ones have the taps at the front edge
with the little 'jet' squirting towards the back and you sat facing
into the room.

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

confused,
Cambridge
(Robert)

Washing your bum and bits more than once a day seems very inconvienient
anyway, unless you are saving the planet by not using toilet paper.

:¬)

Come to think of it, do you change the position you're facing depending
on whether your washing your back or front bottom?

Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 07:08:47 -0800 (PST) someone who may be RobertL
wrote this:-

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

Depends on what one is washing and the design of bidet. What one
might call traditional UK water engineers were very concerned about
the things. The less useful ones that are like low level basins
didn't concern them too much, but the ones with submerged water
outlets caused much sucking of teeth and talk of contamination of
water supplies. If installing the latter, make sure it is connected
properly, as there is a risk of contamination otherwise.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

Depends on what one is washing and the design of bidet. What one
might call traditional UK water engineers were very concerned about
the things. The less useful ones that are like low level basins
didn't concern them too much, but the ones with submerged water
outlets caused much sucking of teeth and talk of contamination of
water supplies. If installing the latter, make sure it is connected
properly, as there is a risk of contamination otherwise.

David Hansen, Edinburgh

And if you are connecting the bidet directly to a cold mains supply, please
make sure it has a regulated gate restriction in the supply pipe, not just a
stopcock. Mains water pressure in most parts of the UK at such close
quarters of a bidet, can remove a layer of skin before one gets the chance
to stand up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

om...

wrote this:-

[...]

You could just have a shower and save the floor space and the cleaning, of
course...

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
om...

wrote this:-

[...]

Stick yer arse over the edge of the bath, with the shower head in one hand.
It worked for me for many years. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:45:46 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

.. .
wrote this:-

[...]

Could it remove any other parts ? :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

I know an old golfer who used a new bidet connected to the mains water
supply. He did get a hole in one, and a big bruise on the other one.

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember RobertL
saying something like:

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet?

Sit?
I wash my feet in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Mains water pressure in most parts of the UK at such close
quarters of a bidet, can remove a layer of skin before one gets the chance
to stand up.

Could it remove any other parts ? :-(

Could save the NHS a bleeding fortune, if it did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:
Depends on what one is washing and the design of bidet. What one
might call traditional UK water engineers were very concerned about
the things. The less useful ones that are like low level basins
didn't concern them too much,

What's the point of a bidet with separate hot and cold over-the-side taps?
I've seen one in a rented house and don't really understand. It's just like
a low level basin with separate taps - there's no spray or jet, and the taps
are directed downwards.

The only purpose I can think of is for washing feet or babies, but can't see
how it fulfills its bidet function without a lot of splashing...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
Bidets sold for the UK market all seem to have the taps on the wall
side of the unit which is not as i remember them being in the past.
My memory is that the french ones have the taps at the front edge
with the little 'jet' squirting towards the back and you sat facing
into the room.

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

I didn't think anyone actually used one. Aren't they just for show - to
impress the neighbours?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

What's the point of a bidet with separate hot and cold over-the-side taps?
I've seen one in a rented house and don't really understand. It's just like
a low level basin with separate taps - there's no spray or jet, and the taps
are directed downwards.

The only purpose I can think of is for washing feet or babies, but can't see
how it fulfills its bidet function without a lot of splashing...

We have a Great Dane X Greyhound who really like to drink out of the
sink with the taps running. He can still only reach over the top with a
foot stool so perhaps its a fancy dog bowl.

:¬)

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
http://www.trade-price-supplements.co.uk
http://www.water-rower.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov 2008 17:15:25 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be Theo
Markettos wrote this:-

What's the point of a bidet with separate hot and cold over-the-side taps?
I've seen one in a rented house and don't really understand.

As far as I can see, the only point is to avoid frightening what one
might call traditional UK water engineers.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
RobertL wrote:
Bidets sold for the UK market all seem to have the taps on the wall
side of the unit which is not as i remember them being in the past.
My memory is that the french ones have the taps at the front edge
with the little 'jet' squirting towards the back and you sat facing
into the room.

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

I didn't think anyone actually used one. Aren't they just for show - to
impress the neighbours?

For what it's worth I heard a science programme talking about C
Difficile. It seems that most people who get it have taken it in on
their crutches (the nether region ones, not leg props). I would like to
see whether the rate for this is lower in regions where people wash
after a crap, such as Islamic countries and continental countries like
France, where bidets are common. Many English people seem to have
constipation judging by the shelves of potions in the shops. Perhaps
paper is more effective then, but I still think a bidet is a good idea,
especially if you eat a decent diet. BTW in France teenage girls used to
call it their 'Father Confessor'!

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
David Hansen wrote:
Depends on what one is washing and the design of bidet. What one
might call traditional UK water engineers were very concerned about
the things. The less useful ones that are like low level basins
didn't concern them too much,

What's the point of a bidet with separate hot and cold over-the-side taps?
I've seen one in a rented house and don't really understand. It's just like
a low level basin with separate taps - there's no spray or jet, and the taps
are directed downwards.

AFAIK there are two distinctly different flavours of bidet; one has a
spray thingy in the base which directs a jet of water to your bits, the
water then runs down the drain (ie no plug); the other is designed to be
filled with water like a handbasin where upon you either dangle your
bits in or splash water over them depending on personal geometry etc.
Analagous to taking a shower or a bath, respectively.

Hope that clears things up...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
RobertL wrote:
Bidets sold for the UK market all seem to have the taps on the wall
side of the unit which is not as i remember them being in the past.
My memory is that the french ones have the taps at the front edge
with the little 'jet' squirting towards the back and you sat facing
into the room.

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

I didn't think anyone actually used one. Aren't they just for show - to
impress the neighbours?

For a start you have to remember that many cultures regard the habit of
using dry toilet paper to clean up post-poo debris as being utterly
disgusting; in many parts of the world it's regarded as essential to get
water involved and do the job properly, as it were. I believe it's also
a Muslim thing (left hand for bottom washing, right hand for eating?)?

Personally I happily use TP, but it's not difficult to imagine the
alternative point of view of someone brought up in a culture of cleaning
up using water who would find that custom utterly disgusting.

I'm also reliably informed that bidets are also a girl thing, especially
at that time of the month or following a roll in the hay - ie quicker
than a shower, and in the absence of a detachable shower handset, it's
easier to get the water jet where you want it by using a bidet than by
doing headstands in the shower cubicle.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Hope that clears things up...

Thanks. I'm glad to be, um, enlightened.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

left hand for bottom washing, right hand for eating?

Hence cack-handed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

RobertL wrote:
Bidets sold for the UK market all seem to have the taps on the wall
side of the unit which is not as i remember them being in the past.
My memory is that the french ones have the taps at the front edge
with the little 'jet' squirting towards the back and you sat facing
into the room.

Which way are you supposed to sit on a UK bidet? Do you have to face
the wall or do you face the room and have to reach behind you to
operatet the taps? Neither seems convenient.

I didn't think anyone actually used one. Aren't they just for show - to
impress the neighbours?

So your neighbours watch you using it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 3:27*pm, "BigWallop"
wrote:
"RobertL" wrote in message

[...]

but if you face the taps wioth the taps at th eback you have to take
you trousers off!

I thought the original idea was to have the taps at the front and to
sit with them between your knees. That way knickers/trousers can
stay round the ankles .

Anyway they all seem to have taps at the back these days, although I'm
not sure how much choice there is about which way the jet squirts.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Nov 10, 3:27 pm, "BigWallop"
wrote:
"RobertL" wrote in message

[...]

I always thought the point to a bidet, was to wash the intimate bits without
having to splash water all over the room, like from a shower head, the bath
/ basin taps Etc. The bidets douche sprays a nice warm jet of water on the
bits that need it most, and nothing else.

With the taps at the back, you can keep your trousers at your knees, not
right down at your ankles. Trousers don't get caught on the taps when you
sit down on it, when the taps are that way round.

Maybe you need a remote control unit on your bidet. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Personally I happily use TP, but it's not difficult to imagine the
alternative point of view of someone brought up in a culture of cleaning
up using water who would find that custom utterly disgusting.

Don't people spit on their loo paper, then, or is it just me?

--
JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Personally I happily use TP, but it's not difficult to imagine the
alternative point of view of someone brought up in a culture of cleaning
up using water who would find that custom utterly disgusting.

Don't people spit on their loo paper, then, or is it just me?

JGH

It's just you mate. It's just you. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Lobster wrote:

left hand for bottom washing, right hand for eating?

Hence cack-handed.

I wonder if that is the origin? It makes sense. Do you know or are you
guessing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:42:25 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I didn't think anyone actually used one. Aren't they just for show - to
impress the neighbours?

One of my sisters has a house supplied with bidet. When I visited a
few years ago it, the bidet, was covered in dust.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message

I'm also reliably informed that bidets are also a girl thing,

So they are as useful as a sink in a gents urinal then:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message

or following a roll in the hay -

The Karacher is in my garage.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...
Andy Burns wrote:
Lobster wrote:

left hand for bottom washing, right hand for eating?

Hence cack-handed.

I wonder if that is the origin? It makes sense. Do you know or are you
guessing?

The French said "main de merde" for the same thing.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
jgharston wrote:
Don't people spit on their loo paper, then, or is it just me?

Wot BigWallop said

Owain

Someone at my house once mistook

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Flash_Lemon_Al...Review_5522399

for moistened tissue wipes. She screamed a bit.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember jgharston
saying something like:

Personally I happily use TP, but it's not difficult to imagine the
alternative point of view of someone brought up in a culture of cleaning
up using water who would find that custom utterly disgusting.

Don't people spit on their loo paper, then, or is it just me?

It's not me, for sure. Anyway, how do you avoid breakthrough with soggy
paper?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
jgharston wrote:
Don't people spit on their loo paper, then, or is it just me?

Wot BigWallop said

Owain

Someone at my house once mistook

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Flash_Lemon_Al...Review_5522399

for moistened tissue wipes. She screamed a bit.

Adam

Oh yah yah!!! A bidet would come in handy after that mistake. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember jgharston
saying something like:

Personally I happily use TP, but it's not difficult to imagine the
alternative point of view of someone brought up in a culture of

cleaning
up using water who would find that custom utterly disgusting.

Don't people spit on their loo paper, then, or is it just me?

It's not me, for sure. Anyway, how do you avoid breakthrough with soggy
paper?

Avoid long finger nails? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message

or following a roll in the hay -

The Karacher is in my garage.

Adam

After a good hose up, you can have good hose down. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I didn't think anyone actually used one. Aren't they just for show - to
impress the neighbours?

One of my sisters has a house supplied with bidet. When I visited a
few years ago it, the bidet, was covered in dust.

You might have to show her how to use one. :-) Or at least explain the
principal behind its use. I mean. lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Lobster wrote:

left hand for bottom washing, right hand for eating?

Hence cack-handed.

I wonder if that is the origin? It makes sense. Do you know or are you
guessing?

It seems to be http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cac1.htm

This is the web site of Michael Quinion, an authority on such things. If
you have an interest in words its well worth signing up for his weekly
digest. Saturday morning, 2 boiled eggs, world wide words - sorted.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I didn't think anyone actually used one. Aren't they just for show - to
impress the neighbours?

One of my sisters has a house supplied with bidet. When I visited a
few years ago it, the bidet, was covered in dust.

Could be a lot worse !!!!
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I didn't think anyone actually used one. Aren't they just for show - to
impress the neighbours?

One of my sisters has a house supplied with bidet. When I visited a
few years ago it, the bidet, was covered in dust.

Could be a lot worse !!!!
Dave

Yes, we ripped ours out after a visitor's young daughter used the
'girls toilet', leaving a surprisingly large deposit, which she tried to
flush away by turning on the hot tap. We discovered her mistake shortly
after when the downstairs ceiling collapsed. Plasterboard and hot water
don't mix.

--
Keith

back to wall bidet blackbat UK diy 17 February 20th 17 05:42 PM
bidet problem Solomon Home Repair 16 January 24th 14 03:13 AM
Bidet installation dean Home Repair 22 February 16th 06 01:22 PM
Installing a bidet [email protected] Home Repair 8 November 1st 05 03:51 PM
Plumbing a bidet Peter Taylor UK diy 22 March 17th 04 09:38 AM