Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Bidet (is that the right word)?

wrote:
Bidet (is that the right word)?

I know that these are popular in foreign countries, but not in the
U.S. The way I understand it, when you finish pooping, some clean
water sprays and cleans your butt. I'm guessing there is a lever or
button to make it spray. I have to ask, out of curiousity. Do people
still use toilet paper? If not, I'd think this Bidet would pay for
itself on T.P. savings, and for those who have septic systems, would
save on tank pumping costs.

I'm considering trying to find one of these, assuming it fits in the
same space as a standard toilet, especially if it saves on T.P. Not
that T.P. is a huge expense, but pumping my septic is costly, and
more than once the sewer pipe has frozen on winter due to a wad of
T.P. sitting in the pipe. The pipes were installed properly, but the
tank is over 100Ft. from the house so there is a lot of distance for
solids to travel. I've even gone so far as to toss the used T.P. in a
waste basket (with lid) during the winter to prevent annoying and
costly pipe clogs.

I wonder why U.S. people dont want clean butts

Possibly because the use of corncobs is in the not so distant past. For me,
I prefer other methodology which is why I installed a bidet a couple of
weeks ago.

Not a full blown, porcelain fixture (no room and wouldn't want one), not a
seat with one built in (ridiculously pricey) but a separate unit that fits
UNDER the toilet seat. They are in the $20 to $100 range, most $30-$60,
mine was $30, all have plastic cases, mine has brass innards. Check Amazon.

Easy install...take off toilet seat, set bidet gizmo on throne, replace
seat, hook gizmo to tank inlet using the included "T" and you are in
business. They have a valve, flow is adjustable. The flow emanates from a
small tube at the rear center which partially retracts when there is no
flow. Some units have a slide to slightly change the angle of the tube. Some
have a mixing valve which means you also have to hook to hot water too or
buy a unit with a heater which means an electrical outlet. Cold water is
fine for me.

Now as to their effectiveness: I am told I have hemorrhoids but I have never
looked. Since installing the thing I have passed things close to the size
of a pony penis and other that looks like cow plop. And all in between.
The bidet has worked well. Yes, you still have to use toilet paper if only
to dry your butt but mostly to aid in the removal of residual material
before squirting yourself again. Moving your butt to direct the stream most
effectively helps.

Do I like it? Resounding YES! I am 82, back has seen better days, all
joints are stiff, overweight too...all make reaching one's nether regions
difficult and this has been a big help. I'm saving a bundle on TP too, will
save more because my (younger and still agile) wife wants one too.