Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Bidet (is that the right word)?

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 10:33:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Bidet (is that the right word)?

I know that these are popular in foreign countries, but not in the U.S.
The way I understand it, when you finish pooping, some clean water
sprays and cleans your butt. I'm guessing there is a lever or button to
make it spray. I have to ask, out of curiousity. Do people still use
toilet paper? If not, I'd think this Bidet would pay for itself on T.P.
savings, and for those who have septic systems, would save on tank
pumping costs.

I'm considering trying to find one of these, assuming it fits in the
same space as a standard toilet, especially if it saves on T.P. Not that
T.P. is a huge expense, but pumping my septic is costly, and more than
once the sewer pipe has frozen on winter due to a wad of T.P. sitting in
the pipe. The pipes were installed properly, but the tank is over 100Ft.
from the house so there is a lot of distance for solids to travel. I've
even gone so far as to toss the used T.P. in a waste basket (with lid)
during the winter to prevent annoying and costly pipe clogs.

I wonder why U.S. people dont want clean butts

Where traditional bidets are used, they are in addition to a standard
toilet. There are fancy Japanese toilets costing up to $10K,
that combine a bidet function into the toilet, including electronic
controls, etc. AFAIK, you still use TP with those too.