Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how much should I be charging for these shared appliances..

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:08:20 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 09/14/2015 12:48 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Large front yard and condo does not compute, generally. And even if it
is very large, why would you water 2-3 times a day, instead of just
continuous, start to finish?

Specifics can always destroy generalities...

Being in an area with its own well and as was stated it started as a
single dwelling which has been subdivided instead of being built as a
condo in a more confined area, it doesn't seem unlikely at all to me
that it might very well (so to speak ) be situated on a sizable lot.

Now, if indeed there is a "sprinkler system" and by that it means it's a
fixed system rather than the poor man's version of the tracking
sprinkler following the hose pattern, it would seem that perhaps the
controller is set up wrong to be running as frequently as is rather than
thoroughly watering a given section. But then again, maybe its actually
even larger and the zones are that many...who knows for sure?

--

My cabin is situated on a bare land condo. We have community well for
all. But I drilled my own one. Condo should have by law, a board and

Canadian Condo law is a LOT more stringent (and protective of the
purchaser) than American condo law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:14:09 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 09/14/2015 2:08 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

My cabin is situated on a bare land condo. We have community well for
all. But I drilled my own one. Condo should have by law, a board and
government approved condo by-law where I live. No problem between
owners at all. Nothing like OP's problem can occur.

I'd guess the OP's arrangement is simply a duplex, not really a "condo" at
all by the legal definition...

It could be. Given how sloppy the OP has been with all of these postings, I
bet there is something in the chain of title saying the well is shared and
costs are to be shared. Now all he has to do is figure an accurate way to
share costs, not just keep using the number someone pulled out of their
butt.

And is the yard shared? Who pays for that (not just the water)?

At any rate, $50 a month for water is a Bargoon. We are quite
water-consrvation conscious, and virtually NEVER water our lawn, and
pay an average of $57-$65/month for water (including sewage) - and
that's on a municipal system
Posted to alt.home.repair

"NG" wrote in message
oups.com...

I share a well with my neighbor we have 2 dwelling condo. My unit concest
of myself, and her unit has 3 people as of now. We share the following
which are all connected to my electric
Meter... well pump, water conditioner system, electric base board heater
that keeps the pump room warm during the winter all in a room in my
garage. Also a sprinkle system that shared on the front property. It's a
50/50 shared property. She had nationally agreed with hand shake when
she bought the unit next to me back November 2014, I came up with a
charge $ 50.00 which she agreed and was paying this till past May 2015
she stopped paying her monthly obligation To me. I was willing to drop
the price down, she putting up a fight. She is reneging On everything, I
had no choice put to seek legal advice and the issue is still not
resolved. She wanted to use a kill- a- watt gizmo in my garage, I'm
Not her landlord to be checking each day that this gizmo is functioning
Right, and again given her the convenience Every month timeing this and
that off my electric bill. I think not... It's not the long term solution,
especially if I want to sell my unit no one wants to be involved with a
gizmo. Then my neighbors chopped up with a internet chart from Runstone
Electric Association energy from
Alexandra M,N from 2014, We live here in New Jersey not M,N. The chart
says it varies from family to family. She only wants to pay $ 15.00 a
month for her Calculations We're wrong from that chart, also there was
no mention how much a sprinkler system runs on electric, my neighbor has
no idea.... I think the best solution would be a second well... Do you
have any other ideas, well can be costly, she would have to pay half
since it's a shared property..

Stay in school, kids!
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:51:14 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 09/14/2015 3:49 PM, wrote:

Canadian Condo law is a LOT more stringent (and protective of the
purchaser) than American condo law.

No idea about Canada; in US it'll be local/state law that rules and
they're undoubtedly quite variable in what is/isn't required...the
northeast typically most onerous/regulated, the south and midwest
less...those are generalities to be overruled by specifics, of course.

I've been fortunate to never have had to deal with such specifically,
but the OPs place simply sounds by the description as it were an older
home (prior farmhouse, maybe?) the original owner simply divided and
sold, not a condo development per se.

--

I agree, not clear at all what exactly this actually is, but sounds more
like a house that was divided. Along the way, OP said he replaced/************+- the

In all this, the most relevant things we still don't know a

What does the master deed, bylaws, etc say about the shared well?
OP said it was spelled out, but nothing more.

Who pays for repair, replacement, winter blowout of the sprinklers, etc?

If the OP is responsible for everything, including hauling home
salt, maintaining the water softener, etc, then I'd say the $50
a month fee is certainly reasonable.

The other party giving him the grief, probably never even owned
a house with a well, water softener, irrigation system, etc.
IDK why anyone would ever buy a property like this, unless it
was an extraordinary location, extraordinary deal, etc. Otherwise
I'd just find another property where you don't have to deal with
this nonsense. Another big mistake was not putting the agreement
into writing before the neighbor closed. I would have written
something up, setting the price and duration, also excluding
myself for liability for water quality, interruption of service,
etc.

It would be interesting to hear how this winds up, but I suspect
the OP will likely disappear at some point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John G posted for all of us...

[...]

Is there no mention of this arrangement in the property deeds?

I think it would be easier and cheaper to put in a separate electric meter for the common elements. Another thought is to have your own private water meters installed. Get a quote from a plumber and maybe they can be installed where everyone can read them.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

+1
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
John G posted for all of us...

[...]

big bucks to the utility company for the new service, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message
John G posted for all of us...

[...]

And who pays for that? Plus it only solves a part of the problem.
Who paid for the well, pump, water softener, sprinkler system
and maintenance, replacement as needed, etc? If the OP is responsible
for that, paying for the salt for the water softener, doing the work,
I say the electric usage is largely irrelevant, $50 a months sounds
very reasonable to me even if the electric portion is only $15.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message
John G posted for all of us...

[...]

---------

Nothing is reasonable without facts. OP has none. OP doesn't want to
determine what the facts are. And I think he would be nuts to take an
amount in excess of the actual electric costs without the FACTS regarding
capital costs, reserve requirements, etc.

In other words, he should be doing this in a responsible manner, like condos
(and others) do. But he resists. I'm done with him. This is a simple
matter. Get 'er done!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 7:36:00 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message
John G posted for all of us...

[...]

I disagree. If he's lugging the salt home, paying for it, maintaining
the softener, the neighbor has no responsibility for paying for repairs
to the system, the pump, the well, the heater, etc, then $50 is a
reasonable price for softened water for a household of 3. It's not
out of line for many municipal water bills.

To gather the hard data isn't a trivial or inexpensive exercise.
And then, assuming the neighbor is not responsible for splitting
the above system costs, you're still left with what is a reasonable
charge for unexpected maintenance, depreciation, etc. I'd have
no problem paying $50 a month for softened water for a family of
three plus watering of a large yard. The neighbor doesn't like it,
maybe she should come up with the detailed investigation and analysis
of all of the above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message
John G posted for all of us...

[...]

----

LOL

You have even more "ifs" than assumptions, and ZERO facts.

It is not hard to come up with some of these facts.

And, you suggest that the person owing OP money should be the one to do the
work and come up with the right number? Ya think she might low ball it?
Just maybe? You think she won't bother to include capital reserves, etc?
Just maybe?

This is a trivial matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 04:40:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 3:35:13 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 14:39:52 -0500, Unquestionably
Confused wrote:

7) Now the neighbor says "F**k you! I'm not paying anything"

No. She's offering 15 dollars a month. He put that at the end
somewhere, so I think a lot of people missed it.

They could have "agreed" at the outset for the neighbor to pay $200 a
month and that's fine and had it been reduced to a contract the courts
would uphold it and the neighbor would be on the hook for that amount.
You can negotiate anything and you can contract to do anything. Once
you do, you're liable.

Usually, but not forever. If no time peiiod is specified, the court
will assume a reasonable time. Like maybe a year. Or maybe less.
Then they get to renegotiate.

I don't think a court would even consider a "reasonable" time period.
If there was no time period agreed to, I'd say the contract is good for
as long as both parties are OK with it. Say a guy comes to your house
selling bottled water. You just agree to take 10 gallons a week, for $10.
How long does that bind either party for? I'd say the same thing, as long
as both parties are still OK with it.

This is not the same situation. The water guy can sell water to anyone
and many people. The OP is limited to one customer and he has to be the
guy who lives next door. And the plan when the house was split was for
the guy next door to share water expenses. But it probably won't go to
court so we'll never know. You can have the last word.

All these problems are very good reasons why one should never get
into this kind of thing to begin with. And if somehow you do, for
sure when you're agreeing to something like this, there should be
a written, signed contract in place. If I were the OP, I'd have a
section in there stating that I was not responsible for water quality,
for any service interruption due to power loss, eqpt failure, etc.
And it should also spell out who is responsible for paying for the
repair and/or replacement of these systems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"TekkieĹ˝" wrote in message
John G posted for all of us...

[...]

It's not a trivial matter, unless you think rewiring several circuits
with a power meter or putting them all on a separate utility service
and installing two water flow meters
is "trivial". Even if the OP can legally do that himself and has the
necessary skills, it's not trivial. As to the neighbor coming up with
a low number, sure she can do that, she in fact already has, so too
can the OP come up with some bogus high number. I do have some facts.
I've owned homes, paid for wells, pumps and municipal water service.
And $50 isn't an unreasonable fee for water service for a household with 3 people that includes not only softened water, but also half the expense
for watering a large lawn. The neighbor thought it was OK before closing,
then changed her mind 6 months later. If she wanted to argue over
how much the costs really are, she should have brought it up then
instead of agreeing, then reneging.
At which point, the OP could have said that if she wants to figure it
out to that level of accuracy, then *she* will have to pay for the work
involved because in his opinion, what he's already providing, the work
he's doing eg being responsible for the system, running the softener,
dragging the bags home, paying for them, etc is worth $50 a month
just by itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent
wrote:
"TekkieZ" wrote in message
John G posted for all of us...

[...]

----------------

you can use an hour meter or two.

--------------------
[...]

-----------------

And then the neighbor doesn't do it and pays nothing. Gets you nowhere.
And the neighbor has done some sort of calculation, looked up charts. But
OP is having none of it - a number pulled out of his butt is good enough!

What happens when repairs re needed? The neighbor would say that was all
included in the $50. And there are no calculations or other data to refute
it. $50 per month may be too low to cover all aspects of this situation.
But that is just another thought pulled out of the butt.

The real problem here is the OP is not telling us stuff. I bet there is a
recorded document regarding the well and shared lawn, etc. There must be.
And what else is she reneging on? He said she was "reneging on everything".

Too hard to work with a guy like that. Tell all, or get no help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Confused wrote:

[...]

We will never know not because it won't get to court, but because the OP is
withholding information from us. he just wants someone to tell him what he
wants to be told, so he is skewing the question and not giving us the facts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Confused wrote:

[...]

I didn't say they were exactly the same thing, only that there are people
here saying that this contract binds the two parties forever, because
no time period was specified. And the example I gave is one where
similarly no time period was specified, so are the parties there
responsible for that contract forever? If the homeowner decides he
doesn't like the water after two weeks, does he have to keep taking it?

And the plan when the house was split was for
the guy next door to share water expenses.

We presume that's true, but we don't know the actual history or
what's in the master deed, etc.

But it probably won't go to
court so we'll never know. You can have the last word.

From what I've heard so far, I wouldn't be so sure. Plenty
of cases like this wind up in court. He says they are no
longer on speaking terms. And contrary to what some people
say, I don't see accurately monitoring the actual usage,
determining how to split not only the costs of electric,
but the fair cost of the existing investment, maintenance, etc.
as trivial. It's not trivial from the monitoring eqpt that
would be required, nor is it trivial to get parties that are
no longer talking to agree on the other numbers that have
great variability. Their best bet might be arbitration, if they
can agree to that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:49:29 -0500, taxed and spent
wrote:

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
John G posted for all of us...

[...]

Speaking of the utility company, I wonder what their minimum
monthly
charge is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Confused wrote:

[...]

shhh! That's a secret. The OP doesn't want to tell us!

But it probably won't go to
court so we'll never know. You can have the last word.

From what I've heard so far, I wouldn't be so sure. Plenty
of cases like this wind up in court. He says they are no
longer on speaking terms. And contrary to what some people
say, I don't see accurately monitoring the actual usage,
determining how to split not only the costs of electric,
but the fair cost of the existing investment, maintenance, etc.
as trivial.

Use hour meters. Take a month of data. You know how many hours the
sprinklers run, so do some math. There are to be found typical household
water usage numbers for one person and a family of three.

There are numbers to be found re how long a water well system will work
before needing repairs and replacements. Do a reserve study, like condos
all do (some much poorer than others). Build reserves from each party into
the monthly cost, and keep track of what is in the reserve account, what is
spent from the reserve account. If the reserve runs out of money, collect
more from both parties.

That is a start, and not all that hard. This is what will be done, after
all the hand wringing and saying it can't be done. It can be done now, or
spend more money and go to arbitration and then do it. Or spend even more
money and go to court, and THEN do it. Just do it!

And, do the hour meter and math four times a year, to account for seasonal
variations. Once you have that done, you only need to re do it if there are
significant changed circumstances.

The OP has ****ed off his neighbor, and he is not telling us about that. He
is ****ing me off too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 8:17:32 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

This is a trivial matter.

It's not a trivial matter, unless you think rewiring several circuits
with a power meter or putting them all on a separate utility service
and installing two water flow meters
is "trivial".
----------------

you can use an hour meter or two.

An hour meter doesn't account for the differing water usage
between houses, how much is going for lawn watering versus
to either party directly, etc. Nor does it show the electric
power used. As Ed pointed out, you can buy actual power meters.

--------------------
[...]

Weren't you the one that said it was trivial?

What happens when repairs re needed? The neighbor would say that was all
included in the $50. And there are no calculations or other data to refute
it. $50 per month may be too low to cover all aspects of this situation.
But that is just another thought pulled out of the butt.

Weren't you the one that said it was trivial?

The real problem here is the OP is not telling us stuff. I bet there is a
recorded document regarding the well and shared lawn, etc. There must be.

I had brought that up and the reply was that it was spelled out,
but like you say, nothing beyond that.

And what else is she reneging on? He said she was "reneging on everything".

Too hard to work with a guy like that. Tell all, or get no help.

Yeah, I agree, we're only getting one side and a lot of info is
lacking. I also think that him saying that the front lawn is being
watered 2 or 3 times a day probably has a lot to do with it. I can
picture the neighbor watching that, thinking it's nuts, which it almost
surely is, and figuring she's paying for it.

The "reneging on everything" I would take to mean that she simply
stopped paying altogether. A decent person would be at least paying
something towards it. And if it gets to court, that's always an
indication of who the real skunk is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This is a trivial matter.

It's not a trivial matter, unless you think rewiring several circuits
with a power meter or putting them all on a separate utility service
and installing two water flow meters
is "trivial".
----------------

you can use an hour meter or two.

An hour meter doesn't account for the differing water usage
between houses, how much is going for lawn watering versus
to either party directly, etc. Nor does it show the electric
power used. As Ed pointed out, you can buy actual power meters.

you can make some calculations. you can make some assumptions, based on
fact. you can do some math.

--------------------
[...]

it is trivial

[...]

I don't think that is what "reneging on everything" means. There is a lot
to sharing property like this, and she is telling him some of his rules make
no sense and are not fair. He is probably treating her as the ugly
stepchild, when in fact they are to be treated equally.

He has said he has gone to a lawyer, so he can pay and then do what needs
to be done - which is more than just using a number pulled out of someone's
butt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2015 2:44 PM, NG wrote:
replying to Mayayana , NG wrote:
mayayana wrote:

You should be talking to her, not to us. We don't even know what you
pay for electricity. $250/month? More? Less? Where I live $50/month
for what you describe seems very high. My last bill was $47. (Though
we don't leave things on when we're not using them; we don't have AC
or microwave; we have gas for heat and stove.) $15 sounds about right
to me. If I had to guess I'd say you were gouging them. But I'm not in
your condo association and don't know the details. What if $15 is not
enough and it should be $20? Who cares? $5/month. You're thinking of
paying a lawyer to take it to court over that? It sounds to me like
you and the neighbor need better communication.

First, off I came across this site last night, and there was another
person on here that had a similar situation. So that's when I wrote in.
I pay well over $ 250 a month on electric
bills to answer your question. She agreed 0n the $ 50 way before she went
to settlement. And sign away excepting All terms and conditions on this
shared property Then 7 months later she came at me very hostile, I wanted
to work something out with her she turned down the offer, she should of
did all her homework before she signed at settlement.

Why do you not get separate electric meters? That seems logical to me.
Watering 2-3x a day is nuts....NO lawn should be watered like that.
Twice weekly, even in sunny Florida with sandy soil is plenty....you
should look up your city or county agricultural extension service and
read up on lawn care. Even in hottest dryest weather in Florida,
watering 2x week is plenty....grass can look wilty in extreme weather
but 2x keeps it going. Don't mow too short, don't fertilize during
stressful weather. With a "very large" yard, you probably will be ahead
if you convert some of the lawn grass to more tolerant, less thirsty plants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mayayana wrote:

[...]

Probably because the monthly base charge for a meter is probably
more than the cost of the small amount of electric used. And then
there is the expense of the rewiring, since the other unit owner
stopped paying for water altogether, I doubt she's going to agree
to pay for re-metering. And then it would only solve
part of the problem anyway. Who's accounting for the OP loading
salt into the water conditioner, probably buying it, lugging it
home, the cost of that equipment, the pump, repair/replacement of
it in the future, etc? If she thinks $50 is too much for water,
she probably thinks all that should be free too. No, they've got
themselves a right proper mess.

Watering 2-3x a day is nuts....NO lawn should be watered like that.
Twice weekly, even in sunny Florida with sandy soil is plenty..

Yep, I posted that couple days ago too. And I wouldn't be surprised
that has something to do with the issue. Like maybe the other unit
owner saw the crazy watering and figures she's paying for it.

Did anyone see the shared spaces bit on the one show? Brian-Gaff UK diy 18 June 8th 15 09:13 AM
Shared Neutral gorehound Home Repair 11 August 6th 07 06:07 PM
VR sensors and shared earths PeterD Electronics 0 January 30th 07 11:00 PM
are purlins shared by semis? Zipadee Doodar UK diy 28 February 10th 05 03:04 PM
Shared Interests Timbo UK diy 2 December 19th 03 10:22 AM