Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default how much should I be charging for these shared appliances..

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:03:26 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 7:36:00 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"TekkieĊ½" wrote in message
John G posted for all of us...

I share a well with my neighbor we have 2 dwelling condo. My unit
concest
of myself, and her unit has 3 people as of now. We share the
following
which are all connected to my electric
Meter... well pump, water conditioner system, electric base board
heater
that keeps the pump room warm during the winter all in a room in my
garage. Also a sprinkle system that shared on the front property..
It's
50/50 shared property. She had nationally agreed with hand shake
when
she bought the unit next to me back November 2014, I came up with
charge $ 50.00 which she agreed and was paying this till past May
2015
she stopped paying her monthly obligation To me. I was willing to
drop
the price down, she putting up a fight. She is reneging On
everything, I
had no choice put to seek legal advice and the issue is still not
resolved. She wanted to use a kill- a- watt gizmo in my garage, I'm
Not her landlord to be checking each day that this gizmo is
functioning
Right, and again given her the convenience Every month timeing
this
and
that off my electric bill. I think not... It's not the long term
solution,
especially if I want to sell my unit no one wants to be involved
with
gizmo. Then my neighbors chopped up with a internet chart from
Runstone
Electric Association energy from
Alexandra M,N from 2014, We live here in New Jersey not M,N.
The
chart
says it varies from family to family. She only wants to pay $
15.00
month for her Calculations We're wrong from that chart, also
there
was
no mention how much a sprinkler system runs on electric, my
neighbor
has
no idea.... I think the best solution would be a second well...
Do
you
have any other ideas, well can be costly, she would have to pay
half
since it's a shared property..

--

Is there no mention of this arrangement in the property deeds?

I think it would be easier and cheaper to put in a separate electric
meter for the common elements. Another thought is to have your own
private water meters installed. Get a quote from a plumber and maybe
they can be installed where everyone can read them.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

+1
--

big bucks to the utility company for the new service, though.

And who pays for that? Plus it only solves a part of the problem.
Who paid for the well, pump, water softener, sprinkler system
and maintenance, replacement as needed, etc? If the OP is responsible
for that, paying for the salt for the water softener, doing the work,
I say the electric usage is largely irrelevant, $50 a months sounds
very reasonable to me even if the electric portion is only $15.

---------

Nothing is reasonable without facts. OP has none. OP doesn't want to
determine what the facts are. And I think he would be nuts to take an
amount in excess of the actual electric costs without the FACTS regarding
capital costs, reserve requirements, etc.

In other words, he should be doing this in a responsible manner, like
condos
(and others) do. But he resists. I'm done with him. This is a simple
matter. Get 'er done!

I disagree. If he's lugging the salt home, paying for it, maintaining
the softener, the neighbor has no responsibility for paying for repairs
to the system, the pump, the well, the heater, etc, then $50 is a
reasonable price for softened water for a household of 3. It's not
out of line for many municipal water bills.

To gather the hard data isn't a trivial or inexpensive exercise.
And then, assuming the neighbor is not responsible for splitting
the above system costs, you're still left with what is a reasonable
charge for unexpected maintenance, depreciation, etc. I'd have
no problem paying $50 a month for softened water for a family of
three plus watering of a large yard. The neighbor doesn't like it,
maybe she should come up with the detailed investigation and analysis
of all of the above.

----

LOL

You have even more "ifs" than assumptions, and ZERO facts.

It is not hard to come up with some of these facts.

And, you suggest that the person owing OP money should be the one to do the
work and come up with the right number? Ya think she might low ball it?
Just maybe? You think she won't bother to include capital reserves, etc?
Just maybe?

This is a trivial matter.

It's not a trivial matter, unless you think rewiring several circuits
with a power meter or putting them all on a separate utility service
and installing two water flow meters
is "trivial". Even if the OP can legally do that himself and has the
necessary skills, it's not trivial. As to the neighbor coming up with
a low number, sure she can do that, she in fact already has, so too
can the OP come up with some bogus high number. I do have some facts.
I've owned homes, paid for wells, pumps and municipal water service.
And $50 isn't an unreasonable fee for water service for a household with 3 people that includes not only softened water, but also half the expense
for watering a large lawn. The neighbor thought it was OK before closing,
then changed her mind 6 months later. If she wanted to argue over
how much the costs really are, she should have brought it up then
instead of agreeing, then reneging.
At which point, the OP could have said that if she wants to figure it
out to that level of accuracy, then *she* will have to pay for the work
involved because in his opinion, what he's already providing, the work
he's doing eg being responsible for the system, running the softener,
dragging the bags home, paying for them, etc is worth $50 a month
just by itself.