Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you ever get "permits"?

Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/25/2015 02:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

My house was a total piece of junk "fixer-upper" when I bought it and it
had that crummy fake-brick tar paper siding that was in horrible shape.

Technically I suppose I should have gotten a permit when I put board and
batten siding on...but I did so , slowly over a 15 year period of
time... no one from the city cited me for anything.

I always do check the city records though when I hire a licensed
contractor and see that for wiring, furnace, water heater and
plumbing...all permits are in order.

After the work was done by the contractor, the city came out and okayed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 May 2015 14:05:52 -0500, Anthony
wrote:

Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

I did not get a permit on one inside project. Extended the floor area
on the second floor which had a cathedral ceiling. Knowing it would
bite me later. I had a materials list, statement of work from the
contractor, etc. The buyer on that home accepted that - still no
permit.

Rear Admiral Grace Hopper:

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.

Variant: If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It is much
easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

I handed my passport to the immigration officer, and he looked
at it and looked at me and said, "What are you?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

Inside, never.
Outside, the roofer got one and when I added a visible shed I got one.

Replaced the deck on the back of the house with a larger one and did not.

Since the deck was done, the town has recorded the size of the
house,garage, deck measurements and photo. Those things are easier to
do with digital cameras, Google earth etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

I ensure the work I do falls within code, therefore, the city can take
their permits and shove it. IMO, most permits are to collect more money
from us tax paying residents. Since the work still falls within code, I
can ensure if/when I ever sell my home, it'll pass inspection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a execvator rip me off , if i had gotten a permit he couldnt of ripped me off....... for a exterior french foundation drain

ended up paying twice for the same job

put up a shed once, it didnt meet setback requirements, but then no one elses did.......

someone ratted me out. i had to get a variance. if i had put the shed where they wanted it would of killed a 200 year old + sycamore

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 3:58:36 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:

Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

Inside, never.
Outside, the roofer got one and when I added a visible shed I got one.

Same as Ed. Inside projects, no. Visible outside things like a
new roof or an edition, definitely yes. My neighborhood is really
up and coming and quite desirable so the codes inspectors are
continually driving through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 5:47:21 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

I ensure the work I do falls within code, therefore, the city can take
their permits and shove it. IMO, most permits are to collect more money
from us tax paying residents. Since the work still falls within code, I
can ensure if/when I ever sell my home, it'll pass inspection.

if it was a big job withno permit inspection may be impossible, a real PIA at home sale time
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

wrote in message

A lot depends on your neighbors. 99% of the time, the "problem" is
because you get ratted out by a neighbor.

This may have been true in the past. Nowadays problems are at
least equally likely concerning house insurance. Most insurance
clerks nowadays know little about house construction or maintenance,
therefore demand building permits on all likely occasions.

Mind you, city hall staff nowadays may know little about building
or safety engineering. The backyard pool bylaw in my municipality
says replacing a pool requires no permit, provided you still have
the original permit and notify city hall. When I did so, the city
clerk said I ought to get a building permit ($200 cash and six weeks'
delay) "just to be sure."
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2015 4:34 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2015 16:58:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

Inside, never.
Outside, the roofer got one and when I added a visible shed I got one.

Replaced the deck on the back of the house with a larger one and did not.

Since the deck was done, the town has recorded the size of the
house,garage, deck measurements and photo. Those things are easier to
do with digital cameras, Google earth etc.

I have a mix of both here. Generally, if they can nondestructively
inspect something after the fact, not having a permit is only money
(typically a permit at double the cost). I am always "caught" by the
property appraiser for taxes the next year but I have never had
problems from the building department.

A lot depends on your neighbors. 99% of the time, the "problem" is
because you get ratted out by a neighbor.

That's a hobby of one of my sisters. She snoops the online county
property tax site for her neighborhood and compares their tax
assessments to hers. If they haven't got certain improvements listed
in the property description and/or their taxes are lower than hers,
she notifies the county assessor of the improvements made to her
neighbors' properties. If they don't respond, she nags them until they
come out to do an on-site assessment.

She's one of those people who just can't stand the idea that anyone
else may be doing as well as she is, or that they may be doing a
little better than she thinks they should.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Moe DeLoughan" wrote in message
On 5/25/2015 4:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

She would do well in North Korea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 May 2015 13:58:39 -0700, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

Inside, never.
Outside, the roofer got one and when I added a visible shed I got one.

Replaced the deck on the back of the house with a larger one and did not.

Since the deck was done, the town has recorded the size of the
house,garage, deck measurements and photo. Those things are easier to
do with digital cameras, Google earth etc.

Years ago, when we lived inSan Jose, CA and was 'rebuilding' our home; the
local paper, San Jose Mercury, ran a 'contest' for "Home Improvement
Projects" The idea was to proudly show your work off and win some type of
contest for 'best improvement to San Jose'.

I stayed FAR away from that contest and was very glad I did. You can't
believe the sudden increase in permit violations and "stop work orders"
that were issued that year. Yep, the county and paper working together to
make life better, NOT!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 May 2015 08:04:23 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

Years ago, when we lived inSan Jose, CA and was 'rebuilding' our home; the
local paper, San Jose Mercury, ran a 'contest' for "Home Improvement
Projects" The idea was to proudly show your work off and win some type of
contest for 'best improvement to San Jose'.

I stayed FAR away from that contest and was very glad I did. You can't
believe the sudden increase in permit violations and "stop work orders"
that were issued that year. Yep, the county and paper working together to
make life better, NOT!

Now and then our county (Clark, Las Vegas) has a forgiveness period
for home owners that did not get permits. Fess-up, pay the permit cost
to get right with the law - no penalty, etc. They do the same with
unpaid parking tickets and accumulated fines. Sort of like a Come to
Jesus moment

Trying to get revenue...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 9:19:58 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

That's a hobby of one of my sisters. She snoops the online county
property tax site for her neighborhood and compares their tax
assessments to hers. If they haven't got certain improvements listed
in the property description and/or their taxes are lower than hers,
she notifies the county assessor of the improvements made to her
neighbors' properties. If they don't respond, she nags them until they
come out to do an on-site assessment.

She's one of those people who just can't stand the idea that anyone
else may be doing as well as she is, or that they may be doing a
little better than she thinks they should.

How does she know what improvements they've made? Does she break into their houses and snoop around? Of course if they make outside improvements she
can generally see them by driving by.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

You need a permit to post to alt.home.repair.
We'll need to see a copy of your permit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2015 14:51:20 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

There were a couple of projects like replacing the windows at my in-laws or
replacing the roof on our house that I didn't realize I was even supposed
to get a permit for. To me those were just basic maintenance items like
painting, or replacing a broken faucet or something. I didn't learn I
should have gotten a permit for those till long after the projects were
finished. My bad for not checking I guess, but I still performed the work
well above the code minimums.

There is no reason people should have to get a permit for replacing
windows or a roof, or changing a water heater, or anything like that.
All it amounts to is government finding a way to steal more money from
us. And for that matter, if we didn't do these repairs, they would cite
us for violations or condemn our home, even on our own land. As long as
people keep paying for senseless permits, and kissing ass to local and
federal politicians, the less freedoms we will have. People no longer
have the balls to stand up against these crooks, who think they can do
anything they want to screw people. I own my land, and what I do on my
land is MY BUSINESS, not theirs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2015 10:19 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
That's a hobby of one of my sisters. She snoops the online county
property tax site for her neighborhood and compares their tax
assessments to hers. If they haven't got certain improvements listed in
the property description and/or their taxes are lower than hers, she
notifies the county assessor of the improvements made to her neighbors'
properties. If they don't respond, she nags them until they come out to
do an on-site assessment.

She's one of those people who just can't stand the idea that anyone else
may be doing as well as she is, or that they may be doing a little
better than she thinks they should.

That is both evil, and pathetic at the same time. I'm so
glad that I don't know her, or live within range of her
evil clutches.

Also sounds like a total left wing liberal.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2015 03:43:08 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

...snip....

Reminds me of the bit about "you have two cows" that
made the rounds a few years ago. This comrade, learning
her neighbor has two cows, pesters the local government
until they come out and shoot both cows, and haul them
off to the landfill. And then present the neighbor
with a bill for the process.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Seems a lot like the attitude of, "I don't want it, but you can't have it
either." Once you've seen THAT mental attitude aggressively applied, ...
just 'shudder'

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

A lot depends on your neighbors. 99% of the time, the "problem" is
because you get ratted out by a neighbor.

This may have been true in the past. Nowadays problems are at
least equally likely concerning house insurance. Most insurance
clerks nowadays know little about house construction or maintenance,
therefore demand building permits on all likely occasions.

Maybe things work differently up there, but I've never had
an insurance agent demand or even ask about a building permit
for anything. The only time anyone was even here to look
at anything was when I filed a Sandy hurricane claim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 8:11:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2015 17:47:15 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

I ensure the work I do falls within code, therefore, the city can take
their permits and shove it. IMO, most permits are to collect more money
from us tax paying residents. Since the work still falls within code, I
can ensure if/when I ever sell my home, it'll pass inspection.

The only problem is with concealed elements that an after the fact
inspector may want to see.
If he wants to see the rebar in your footings, you are screwed.
Pictures may help if they are willing to cooperate but they certainly
do not have to.

I know of a case here where a guy built a deck in his backyard.
The inspector was driving by and saw it. He wound up having to
tear it down and start over. IDK for sure the root cause
was that it could not be properly inspected now that it was
built, eg footers, but suspect that was probably
it. Either that or there was some other fatal visible flaw,
that could not be corrected by redoing just a minor part of it.

I also know of a whole condo complex that was built with just
a shovel of concrete thrown under supporting posts for deck footers.
And that was inspected...... Some years later, the FBI arrested
the mayor and found $50K in his attic, which gives you an idea
of what was going on.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2015 05:14:53 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

...snip....

I also know of a whole condo complex that was built with just
a shovel of concrete thrown under supporting posts for deck footers.
And that was inspected...... Some years later, the FBI arrested
the mayor and found $50K in his attic, which gives you an idea
of what was going on.....

That's just sad. In San Jose, CA downtown area is a 'short' bank building,
near Taylor and 1st Street. Architecture is just NOT right. The story
behind it is that a well-known builder/developer, who shall remain
nameless, just started building it! Got the first story done and FINALLY
someone in the city permit department stopped the building process. The
builder wanted six stories, but only got one, so the building has a
strange look to it.

Same builder on a VERY large building did not have proper drains in his
planning, so he told one of the workers to just chop a hole between
parking floors to let the water drain down through !! , several floors.
Even that employee knew better.

I once went to City Council meeting whhere this builder was obtaining huge
residential building construction, six buildings of four stories each. The
plans of each 'residence' he presented to the Council showed really nice
floor plans, with even a 'Den' for the resident's home office. And of
course a pool to service the large complex. Being an Engineer, I started
scaling the drawings to see what each 'home' would look like and found the
Den was approximately 7 ft by 7 ft !!! I have walk-in closets bigger than
that. EVERYTHING was scaled to be tiny!

Oh, well, the complex was built, but of course no pool, the pool was in
the plans to get the site approved. No intention of building it there
because there was a municipal swimming pool soon to be built two blocks
away, so why bother? The residence can WALK to the city's public pool, the
exercise will be good for them, eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

I always get permits for major projects, like building our garage, building
our house, and remodeling projects at my in-laws house. I also get permits
if there are major electrical changes, like running a new service to a
building, primarily because the power company won't connect without one.
And I get permits for things like a woodstove installation where there are
safety concerns and/or could affect my homeowner insurance. On big projects
it's nice to have the inspectors second opinion to make sure I didn't
overlook anything. Codes change and I can't keep up on everything.

However, I don't bother with most small projects. Adding an electrical
outlet, rewiring a heating circuit, running a subpanel to a shed, building
a small shed, constructing a small retaining wall, replacing a water
heater, etc. Many of these don't need permits anyway, but I do my best to
follow or exceed the codes for each project, even if I am not getting a
permit.

There were a couple of projects like replacing the windows at my in-laws or
replacing the roof on our house that I didn't realize I was even supposed
to get a permit for. To me those were just basic maintenance items like
painting, or replacing a broken faucet or something. I didn't learn I
should have gotten a permit for those till long after the projects were
finished. My bad for not checking I guess, but I still performed the work
well above the code minimums.

I don't know if it would matter to the building department, but we always
document repairs and improvements with lots of photographs. We do it mostly
for our own reference and memories, but I would be able to show how each
step was done if they questioned the work.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no reason people should have to get a permit for replacing
windows or a roof, or changing a water heater, or anything like that.

Most permits make sense from the standpoint of safety or impact to the
neighborhood, but I admit I don't understand the reasoning behind those
permits. It's a good idea for contractors doing work for others, a
secondary eye to make sure the job is done right. But I can't imagine a
homeowner doing their own work even thinking about a permit for something
like replacing a water heater.

All it amounts to is government finding a way to steal more money from
us. And for that matter, if we didn't do these repairs, they would
cite us for violations or condemn our home, even on our own land. As
long as people keep paying for senseless permits, and kissing ass to
local and federal politicians, the less freedoms we will have. People
no longer have the balls to stand up against these crooks, who think
they can do anything they want to screw people. I own my land, and
what I do on my land is MY BUSINESS, not theirs.

Good luck with that. Let me know how it works out for you...

Take care,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2015 10:51 AM, HerHusband wrote:

There were a couple of projects like replacing the windows at my in-laws or
replacing the roof on our house that I didn't realize I was even supposed
to get a permit for. To me those were just basic maintenance items like
painting, or replacing a broken faucet or something. I didn't learn I
should have gotten a permit for those till long after the projects were
finished. My bad for not checking I guess, but I still performed the work
well above the code minimums.

Problem with a roof is that it is easily seen and can be reported. No
one ever came to inspect a few roofing jobs I had done but the town took
the money. In many cases, the money is all that matters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2015 08:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There were a couple of projects like replacing the windows at my
in-laws or
replacing the roof on our house that I didn't realize I was even supposed
to get a permit for. To me those were just basic maintenance items like
painting, or replacing a broken faucet or something. I didn't learn I
should have gotten a permit for those till long after the projects were
finished. My bad for not checking I guess, but I still performed the work
well above the code minimums.

Problem with a roof is that it is easily seen and can be reported. No
one ever came to inspect a few roofing jobs I had done but the town took
the money. In many cases, the money is all that matters.

It may not be just the fee that is charged: if the municipality knows
that the property has been upgraded, doesn't that give them an excuse to
up the taxable value and therefore the taxes as well?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

8:05 PM (58 minutes ago)Percival P. CassidyIt may not be just the fee that is charged: if the municipality knows that the property has been upgraded, doesn't that give them an excuse to up the taxable value and therefore the taxes as well? Perce

Boy, you sure are cynical, and unfortunately, absolutely on the nose!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 2:05:55 PM UTC-5, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

For those folks who do their research about a contractor's reputation,
a permit is not necessary.

Some cities have signs posted that say that contractors must be registered with the city.

They may want to protect residents, but I suspect that many cities just want some extra revenue.

Doing a job safely is a primary concern of mine.

I have turned down jobs where the customer wanted me to cut corners.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2015 06:41:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

Souinds more fascist right wing to me - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2015 21:06:00 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps if it had no roof to start with?? Maintenance should NEVER
trigger a tax increase. Added features like finishing a basement -
yes. Like paving a gravel driveway? yes. Like adding a pool? yes.
Replacing windows? no. Adding a patio door inplace of a window? Sure -
I can see that.

As for permits - anything involving possible structural integrety -
sure. Anything changing the basic footprint of the house - sure.
Major pluming or electrical ALTERATIONS, yes.
Maintenance? Nope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't think SM is Italian. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Wop Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Believe it or not, the local municipal government requires a permit for ethernet and/or telephone jacks.

The permit fee is $50 and inspection fee is $120 (for up to 10 jacks) so adding a jack or two would cost the homeowner $170 just for the permit.
And since these clowns only inspect from 9am to 4pm, I'd have to take vacation time from work to get the actual inspection.

Can you say scofflaw?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 3:39:27 AM UTC-5, Archibald wrote:
Believe it or not, the local municipal government requires a permit for ethernet and/or telephone jacks.

The permit fee is $50 and inspection fee is $120 (for up to 10 jacks) so adding a jack or two would cost the homeowner $170 just for the permit.
And since these clowns only inspect from 9am to 4pm, I'd have to take vacation time from work to get the actual inspection.

Can you say scofflaw?

Next thing you know, the municipality will require a permit for each cordless phone or WiFi device on your home network. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Inspection Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

Of course if it is needed.
Insurance companies don't like things done
without permit where it is required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 11:02:30 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 2:05:55 PM UTC-5, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

For those folks who do their research about a contractor's reputation,
a permit is not necessary.

That's an oxymoron. A reputable, honest contractor is going
to make sure the proper permits are pulled. His reputation isn't
going to be very good when he gets shut down by the inspector, has
to do work over, tear it out, etc. Plus in some instances,
a contractor is going to wind up in some kind of dispute with
the homeowner. In which case, not having permits has a good
chance of getting back to the inspector, being a point against
the contractor if it goes to court, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 May 2015 12:43:22 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 28 May 2015 09:35:46 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

It is simpler than that in states like Florida where a contractor
doing unpermitted work will lose his license and face fines.
The reality is, an unlicensed person has far less to fear than a
licensed contractor. Other than stop work orders, a homeowner really
have little to fear.

In Nevada, it's a Felony to contract without a license. A homeowner is
an exception as he/she can act as his/her own contractor. Licensed
contractors doing inferior work can be reported to the State
Contractor's Board. It would be silly to do work without a permit that
is paid for by the home owner, anyway. When a permit is necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2015 10:31 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

Of course if it is needed.
Insurance companies don't like things done
without permit where it is required.

In the 49 years I've owned houses, no insurance company ever set foot on
my property. How would they know?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed,

In the 49 years I've owned houses, no insurance company ever
set foot on my property.

My insurance agent has been out a few times.

The first was to photograph and take measurements of our old mobile home
when we bought it.

The second was to photograph and take measurements of the new house we
built.

The third was to verify our woodstove was installed correctly and had a
valid permit.

Basically, they would not sign us up for a new policy until they had
actually seen what they were insuring. Personally, I find that better than
the county assessors office. Years ago they pulled in our driveway and
without even getting out of the car wrote down that we had a 3-bedroom, 2
bath house. I just happened to catch them before they pulled out to correct
them it was actually a 2-bedroom, 1 bath mobile home. Otherwise we would
have been taxed on the larger home back then.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com