Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan[_2_] Moe DeLoughan[_2_] is offline

Default Do you ever get "permits"?

On 5/25/2015 4:34 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2015 16:58:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

Inside, never.
Outside, the roofer got one and when I added a visible shed I got one.

Replaced the deck on the back of the house with a larger one and did not.

Since the deck was done, the town has recorded the size of the
house,garage, deck measurements and photo. Those things are easier to
do with digital cameras, Google earth etc.

I have a mix of both here. Generally, if they can nondestructively
inspect something after the fact, not having a permit is only money
(typically a permit at double the cost). I am always "caught" by the
property appraiser for taxes the next year but I have never had
problems from the building department.

A lot depends on your neighbors. 99% of the time, the "problem" is
because you get ratted out by a neighbor.

That's a hobby of one of my sisters. She snoops the online county
property tax site for her neighborhood and compares their tax
assessments to hers. If they haven't got certain improvements listed
in the property description and/or their taxes are lower than hers,
she notifies the county assessor of the improvements made to her
neighbors' properties. If they don't respond, she nags them until they
come out to do an on-site assessment.

She's one of those people who just can't stand the idea that anyone
else may be doing as well as she is, or that they may be doing a
little better than she thinks they should.