Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Do you ever get "permits"?

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 8:11:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2015 17:47:15 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

I ensure the work I do falls within code, therefore, the city can take
their permits and shove it. IMO, most permits are to collect more money
from us tax paying residents. Since the work still falls within code, I
can ensure if/when I ever sell my home, it'll pass inspection.

The only problem is with concealed elements that an after the fact
inspector may want to see.
If he wants to see the rebar in your footings, you are screwed.
Pictures may help if they are willing to cooperate but they certainly
do not have to.

I know of a case here where a guy built a deck in his backyard.
The inspector was driving by and saw it. He wound up having to
tear it down and start over. IDK for sure the root cause
was that it could not be properly inspected now that it was
built, eg footers, but suspect that was probably
it. Either that or there was some other fatal visible flaw,
that could not be corrected by redoing just a minor part of it.

I also know of a whole condo complex that was built with just
a shovel of concrete thrown under supporting posts for deck footers.
And that was inspected...... Some years later, the FBI arrested
the mayor and found $50K in his attic, which gives you an idea
of what was going on.....