Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Do you ever get "permits"?

On 5/27/2015 11:34 PM, wrote:

As for permits - anything involving possible structural integrety -
sure. Anything changing the basic footprint of the house - sure.
Major pluming or electrical ALTERATIONS, yes.
Maintenance? Nope.

The problem is, where do you draw the line? Is adding a receptacle
something you need a permit for?

I'd guess that for anyone here, the answer is no. We know what wire to
use for a 15A or 20A circuit.

Many years ago I was installing a storm door on a new house in a big
development. Homeowners typically added a lot of things like that as
well as finished basements into family rooms. I was installing the door
on a walkout basement. The new homeowner was finishing the room with
studs and paneling. He added four receptacles and had them wired up.
He used #18 lamp cord.

Had I not been there, the wall would have been closed up and who knows
what would have happened. Maybe they would use a space heater and start
a fire. So, is inspection needed?