Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Do you ever get "permits"?

On 05/25/2015 02:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

My house was a total piece of junk "fixer-upper" when I bought it and it
had that crummy fake-brick tar paper siding that was in horrible shape.

Technically I suppose I should have gotten a permit when I put board and
batten siding on...but I did so , slowly over a 15 year period of
time... no one from the city cited me for anything.

I always do check the city records though when I hire a licensed
contractor and see that for wiring, furnace, water heater and
plumbing...all permits are in order.

After the work was done by the contractor, the city came out and okayed it.