Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Do you ever get "permits"?

On Mon, 25 May 2015 13:58:39 -0700, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/25/2015 3:05 PM, Anthony wrote:
Do people really get permits for all their projects, or am I and my
friends alone in never asking for a permit unless the change is hugely
visible outside?

Inside, never.
Outside, the roofer got one and when I added a visible shed I got one.

Replaced the deck on the back of the house with a larger one and did not.

Since the deck was done, the town has recorded the size of the
house,garage, deck measurements and photo. Those things are easier to
do with digital cameras, Google earth etc.

Years ago, when we lived inSan Jose, CA and was 'rebuilding' our home; the
local paper, San Jose Mercury, ran a 'contest' for "Home Improvement
Projects" The idea was to proudly show your work off and win some type of
contest for 'best improvement to San Jose'.

I stayed FAR away from that contest and was very glad I did. You can't
believe the sudden increase in permit violations and "stop work orders"
that were issued that year. Yep, the county and paper working together to
make life better, NOT!