Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much should a queen mattress and box spring cost and what do Ilook for by way of value?

I buy a mattress/boxspring about once every 25 years, so, I
really don't know what to look for, or where to buy them.

Costco has, in the warehouse, for $600, a Sealy Posturepedic
Newfield Queen mattress and box spring set.

Is that a good price?

The only thing I didn't like about it is that the mattress
can't be flipped over (it has the cloth only on one side).

I've never had a "comfort" problem with a mattress, so,
that's not an issue (nor with a chair, couch, etc). So,
I'm not worried about comfort.

I'm just asking about value.

Any advice? (again, forget the comfort part, as I'm currently
sleeping on the floor and I don't mind that at all but I
have guests staying for a month so I want to look like I
sleep in a bed and so that they can use the bed themselves).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 18:15:59 -0600, Howard Schornstein wrote:

Costco has, in the warehouse, for $600, a Sealy Posturepedic
Newfield Queen mattress and box spring set.

Here's the spec on the thing.
http://www.costco.com/Newfield-Cushi...100085540.html

I'm not asking about comfort as that depends on each person
(and for me, it will never ever be a problem anyway).

I'm asking about value.
Is $600 a good value for what it is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2014 06:15 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:
I buy a mattress/boxspring about once every 25 years, so, I
really don't know what to look for, or where to buy them.

Costco has, in the warehouse, for $600, a Sealy Posturepedic
Newfield Queen mattress and box spring set.

Is that a good price?

The only thing I didn't like about it is that the mattress
can't be flipped over (it has the cloth only on one side).

I've never had a "comfort" problem with a mattress, so,
that's not an issue (nor with a chair, couch, etc). So,
I'm not worried about comfort.

I'm just asking about value.

Any advice? (again, forget the comfort part, as I'm currently
sleeping on the floor and I don't mind that at all but I
have guests staying for a month so I want to look like I
sleep in a bed and so that they can use the bed themselves).

Since you only buy one every 25 years might as well not worry about the
money and get a good one. Personally, I need a firm one so I don't get
back aches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 18:19:13 -0600, philo wrote:

Since you only buy one every 25 years might as well not worry about the
money and get a good one.

But, what is a good one?
Again, comfort isn't the issue with me.
It's just quality and value that I care about.

Where do you buy them anyway?
Sears? Macys? Costco? Mattress Discounters?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2014 7:15 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:
I buy a mattress/boxspring about once every 25 years, so, I
really don't know what to look for, or where to buy them.

Costco has, in the warehouse, for $600, a Sealy Posturepedic
Newfield Queen mattress and box spring set.

Is that a good price?

Sounds like a fair price it is is a decent set. Cosco usually has good
value.

I'd avoid department stores and I'd check the reputation of any mattress
shops. Some are not so good.

Our last buys were from www.mybobs.com if you live in the area they
serve, check them out. As I type this. I'm laying on my Power Bob with
memory foam maytress. Very comfortable and easy to watch TV or type on
a laptop on my belly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2014 06:54 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 18:19:13 -0600, philo wrote:

Since you only buy one every 25 years might as well not worry about the
money and get a good one.

But, what is a good one?
Again, comfort isn't the issue with me.
It's just quality and value that I care about.

Where do you buy them anyway?
Sears? Macys? Costco? Mattress Discounters?

That Sealy at Costco is probably pretty good
Posted to alt.home.repair

Howard Schornstein wrote:
I buy a mattress/boxspring about once every 25 years, so, I
really don't know what to look for, or where to buy them.

Costco has, in the warehouse, for $600, a Sealy Posturepedic
Newfield Queen mattress and box spring set.

Is that a good price?

The only thing I didn't like about it is that the mattress
can't be flipped over (it has the cloth only on one side).

I've never had a "comfort" problem with a mattress, so,
that's not an issue (nor with a chair, couch, etc). So,
I'm not worried about comfort.

I'm just asking about value.

Any advice? (again, forget the comfort part, as I'm currently
sleeping on the floor and I don't mind that at all but I
have guests staying for a month so I want to look like I
sleep in a bed and so that they can use the bed themselves).

I bought a Sealy at sears. Was about $600 on sale. The problem with new
mattresses is overuse of foam. The foam settles forming a valley. The
mattress really gave off a lot of gasses for a few months. Had to run an
air cleaner. I bought a mattress at a discount store for a little less. I
was happier with that mattress. I would never buy one without trying it out
at the store.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2014 7:15 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:
I buy a mattress/boxspring about once every 25 years, so, I
really don't know what to look for, or where to buy them.

Costco has, in the warehouse, for $600, a Sealy Posturepedic
Newfield Queen mattress and box spring set.

Is that a good price?

The only thing I didn't like about it is that the mattress
can't be flipped over (it has the cloth only on one side).

I've never had a "comfort" problem with a mattress, so,
that's not an issue (nor with a chair, couch, etc). So,
I'm not worried about comfort.

I'm just asking about value.

Any advice? (again, forget the comfort part, as I'm currently
sleeping on the floor and I don't mind that at all but I
have guests staying for a month so I want to look like I
sleep in a bed and so that they can use the bed themselves).

$600 is low end if its a pillow top. But frankly, buying a mattress on
name alone is foolhardy, you may get lucky, you may not.

'The Mattress Factory' (all USA made) has pretty good prices. We just
bought a queen sized set from there yesterday and paid $650~ for
mattress, box springs, tax, delivery and disposal of the old set. That
is the only place we found locally that carry non-pillow top mattresses.

I prefer the old style that you can flip over every 6 months or so as
most pillow tops can't be flipped over. Pillow tops are generally much
thicker than non-pillow tops, more likely to take a set (permanent body
depression) and after all - thicker is no guarantee of more comfortable.
The set we have currently has all those bad things plus was so tall
that I had to replace the frame with a low rider because our feet
literally didn't touch the floor when sitting on it! The wife didn't
appreciate having to jump to get on the bed.

The most important part in my opinion:

A store that deals only in what you are looking for should carry a wide
selection and many more models on display to *try out*.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2014 7:54 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 18:19:13 -0600, philo wrote:

Since you only buy one every 25 years might as well not worry about the
money and get a good one.

But, what is a good one?
Again, comfort isn't the issue with me.
It's just quality and value that I care about.

Where do you buy them anyway?
Sears? Macys? Costco? Mattress Discounters?

Comfort isn't the issue? Why bother buying a mattress; just sleep on
the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
On 12/27/2014 7:54 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 18:19:13 -0600, philo wrote:

Since you only buy one every 25 years might as well not worry about
the money and get a good one.

But, what is a good one?
Again, comfort isn't the issue with me.
It's just quality and value that I care about.

Where do you buy them anyway?
Sears? Macys? Costco? Mattress Discounters?

Comfort isn't the issue? Why bother buying a mattress; just sleep on
the floor.

He does , he said above the mattress is for guests .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:51:09 -0500, Norminn wrote:

Comfort isn't the issue? Why bother buying a mattress;
just sleep on the floor.

The problem is with subjective versus objective answers.

I'm looking for an objective answer.
Price.
Quality.
Location.

I'm not looking for a subjective answer because they
are essentially nearly worthless, due to the fact that
everyone defines "their" comfort differently.

I have never had a bad night's sleep in my life, other
than when I'm ill or injured. I can sleep through an
earthquake. Loud music never bothered me. I can sleep
in a barracks as easily as I can sleep on the floor.

If I asked for a subjective measurement, such as
comfort, I'd get garbage. Utter garbage as advice.

Why?

Because people are VASTLY different when it comes to
their subjective assessment of comfort. Any bed is
comfortable, and every bed is comfortable, to me,
but not to you.

Yet, QUALITY and PRICE and STORE is objective.

If I asked for subjective answers, we'd get absolutely
nowhere in this thread. It's not the right forum nor
the right people to assess comfort.

But it is the right forum, I hope, and people, I hope,
to assess price and quality and location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:50:01 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

He does , he said above the mattress is for guests .

Also, comfort is too subjective.

If I asked for comfort, it's like asking for which girlfriend
you like. They all do the same thing, differently.

But, if I asked for specific height, or cost, or location,
then we could get somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 05:14:24 +0000, gregz wrote:

I bought a Sealy at sears. Was about $600 on sale.

Was that the mattress only? Or the combination with the box spring
as shown with the prospective Costco purchase?

The problem with new mattresses is overuse of foam.

Where is the "foam"? I presume it's "under" the cloth?
What else do they use if it's not foam, for the softness?

I would never buy one without trying it out at the store.

While there's nothing wrong with taking a car or a girlfriend
out for a test drive, you never can test a mattress just by
"kicking the tires". Essentially, you can't test a mattress
for comfort, at least not realistically, without actually
sleeping in it overnight or even for a few nights.

So I'd rather stick to objectives I can "measure" with
math.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message
[...]

Every ten years is how often you get a new mattress, darling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:32:59 -0500, John wrote:

$600 is low end if its a pillow top. But frankly, buying a mattress on
name alone is foolhardy, you may get lucky, you may not.

Now we're getting somewhere objective and measurable!

What I just want is good value. Good materials (within that value
cost restriction). And to buy at the right store (for value).

'The Mattress Factory' (all USA made) has pretty good prices. We just
bought a queen sized set from there yesterday and paid $650~ for
mattress, box springs, tax, delivery and disposal of the old set. That
is the only place we found locally that carry non-pillow top mattresses.

Non pillow top mattress?
Now we're getting somewhere.

What's the difference between a "pillow top" mattress, and a non
pillow top mattress?

Googling, I see there is "plush" and there is "pillow top".
http://www.ehow.com/about_5397833_pl...-mattress.html

I wonder what type the Costco one is?
http://www.costco.com/Newfield-Cushi...100085540.html

The Costco one says it's "firm", which seems to be the third type.
But, since it can't be flipped, it might be "plush", which is a negative,
since you can't even out wear.

I prefer the old style that you can flip over every 6 months or so as
most pillow tops can't be flipped over.

I agree with you. You get "twice" the wear out of a flippable mattress.
Maybe I won't get the Costco after all.
That means I have to quickly look elsewhere.

Pillow tops are generally much thicker than non-pillow tops

That's also bad. I want the mattress that fits the most bedsheets.

A store that deals only in what you are looking for should carry a wide
selection and many more models on display to *try out*.

Seems to me that it's impossible to "try out" a mattress without
actually sleeping on it overnight. Otherwise, it's like kicking tires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Howard Schornstein wrote:
[...]

We bought our last set thru my then-boss's wife , who is/was a buyer for a
hotel/motel chain . It has labels for a four-way flip "this label up and at
the foot for jan-feb-mar" etc . Can't remember what we paid but got it at a
discount over retail . Look for a hotel supply place ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2014 9:12 AM, Howard Schornstein wrote:
[...]

By trying it out I mean sit and lay on it, your body will will tell you
if its comfortable.

No they probably wont let you sleep there - LMAO

If you can't turn the Costco model over its either a pillow top or cheap
junk.

You are buying a 'pig in a poke' the way you are going at it. But then
again, as you said, you don't use it so who cares. Just buy a blowup and
throw it on the floor, that way you can get rid of the useless furniture.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:31:11 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

Look for a hotel supply place ...

I like that idea because they care about cost and quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.slack,alt.support.depression

"gregz" wrote in message
I would never buy one without trying it out at the store.

#Greg? I doubt most folks would appreciate seeing you and yer significant
udder in public, you know?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Howard Schornstein" wrote in message
worldhosting.com...

I buy a mattress/boxspring about once every 25 years, so, I
really don't know what to look for, or where to buy them.

Have a look at Consumer Reports magazine, collected by
most good public libraries. Its latest article on beds included
good advice how to evaluate them in the store.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Howard Schornstein
wrote:
[...]

The one thing about the mattress business is that no matter
where you buy it or which brand you buy, you cannot compare
them.
Every manufacturer that makes them puts different SKU- model
number, etc depending on who it shipped to. The Serta X at
Costco might be the same as the Serta Z at Sams. This has
been an industry standard for years. So if you like the
mattress and the price, buy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| I'm looking for an objective answer.
| Price.
| Quality.
| Location.
|
| I'm not looking for a subjective answer because they
| are essentially nearly worthless, due to the fact that
| everyone defines "their" comfort differently.

I don't think that's entirely true. Everyone has a
human body. People vary in their physical ailments,
but the mechanics of the body is the same for
everyone.

I've had back trouble in the past (from a slight lordosis)
and need a firm mattress. I also find that with age my
bones increasingly get sore just from the weight of
lying on them. Yet I've been very happy with a medium-firm
foam rubber mattress, 4" thick. (The firm is too firm.)
I think it was something like $170 at a store that
specifically deals only in foam rubber. You can also
buy them online. Unfortunately, if there's a technical
designation for that exact foam I don't know what
it is. (There seems to be a distinction between
cheap, soft foam rubber and the kind of high-density
stuff used for mattresses.)

For the sake of anyone reading this who does care
about comfort and/or spinal health, I would just
mention that I think "memory foam" is a grossly
overpriced gimmick and actually rather uncomfortable.
In summer it's too hot because one's body sinks into
it. In general it's too hard. While it does mold to
one's body, to some extent, the result is only that
one's whole body feels equally pressed on. A good inner
spring mattress, by contrast, makes me feel like I'm
floating on top.

If money were no object I'd buy the best inner spring
mattress I could find. But I find the foam pad perfectly
adequate. So, for your needs, I'd say don't waste your
money on a mattress. Find someone who's throwing one
out. Failing that, buy foam. And if you decide later that
you do care about the feel of it, it can be easily adjusted
by adding a softer or firmer 1" or 2" pad on top of the 4"
pad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:29:02 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

needs, I'd say don't waste your
money on a mattress. Find someone who's throwing one
out.

....and bring cooties into your home. Bed bugs, etc. It may also be a
violation of local health codes, unless the mattress is sanitized
before hand.

Just sayin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

| needs, I'd say don't waste your
| money on a mattress. Find someone who's throwing one
| out.
|
| ...and bring cooties into your home. Bed bugs, etc. It may also be a
| violation of local health codes, unless the mattress is sanitized
| before hand.

It actually is a violation where I live. There's been
a resurgence of bedbugs. I wasn't thinking of just
getting a mattress anywhere. I was thinking more
that he might have a friend with an extra. So many
people seem to have mattresses around that they
just haven't got around to throwing out.

On the other hand, he's so adamant that he
doesn't care about comfort, I'm thinking of offering
him a good deal on a sheet of plywood -- $100
off what he would have paid for the Sealy Posturepedic
-- for a limited time only.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Comfort isn't the issue? Why bother buying a mattress; just sleep on
the floor.

BTDT. Even slept under my truck one time. I fell asleep one time
standing in the evening chow line, standing at parade rest, in boot
camp. Some prison beds are poured concrete with just a 4" mattress.

Stranded in the Everglades once, my wife and I slept on the bed of a
open utility trailer - until we got the truck out of the mud. A
mailman was a hunter, took us in and fed us that night. Slept in the
drivers seat of 144mm SP Howitzer too.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn one time

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:48:05 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| needs, I'd say don't waste your
| money on a mattress. Find someone who's throwing one
| out.
|
| ...and bring cooties into your home. Bed bugs, etc. It may also be a
| violation of local health codes, unless the mattress is sanitized
| before hand.

It actually is a violation where I live. There's been
a resurgence of bedbugs. I wasn't thinking of just
getting a mattress anywhere. I was thinking more
that he might have a friend with an extra. So many
people seem to have mattresses around that they
just haven't got around to throwing out.

On the other hand, he's so adamant that he
doesn't care about comfort, I'm thinking of offering
him a good deal on a sheet of plywood -- $100
off what he would have paid for the Sealy Posturepedic
-- for a limited time only.

What about selling him a hammock; either on a swinging frame, or hung
with eye bolts from the guest room wall studs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2014 2:29 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| I'm looking for an objective answer.
| Price.
| Quality.
| Location.
|
| I'm not looking for a subjective answer because they
| are essentially nearly worthless, due to the fact that
| everyone defines "their" comfort differently.

I don't think that's entirely true. Everyone has a
human body. People vary in their physical ailments,
but the mechanics of the body is the same for
everyone.

For the sake of anyone reading this who does care
about comfort and/or spinal health, I would just
mention that I think "memory foam" is a grossly
overpriced gimmick and actually rather uncomfortable.
In summer it's too hot because one's body sinks into
it. In general it's too hard. While it does mold to
one's body, to some extent, the result is only that
one's whole body feels equally pressed on. A good inner
spring mattress, by contrast, makes me feel like I'm
floating on top.

You say a subjective comment is worthless and you make a dumb statement
about a memory foam mattress. We love ours.

We had a king for a few years but after my wife's surgery, we gave it
away and now have two twins side by side. They are adjustable
independently so I can put the head up for watching RV or what I am
doing right now. I'm typing on a netbook sitting on my belly, watching
TV and am very comfortable. My wife is napping.

Ours in NOT a Temperpedic, but a clone at about half the price. Foam is
a good insulator so you may find it a bit warmer, but in the summer, the
AC is on and very comfortable. In winter we keep the bedroom at 62 and
with a fleece blanket we sleep very well. We also have the Gel type that
is supposed to be a little cooler.

My suggestion is to try a mattress before you buy. Anyone that says a
particular type is no good is not well informed and most important, they
are not YOU so they have no idea what you like. No more than they can
choose your favorite flavor of ice cream for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:57:32 -0600, Howard Schornstein
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:51:09 -0500, Norminn wrote:

Comfort isn't the issue? Why bother buying a mattress;
just sleep on the floor.

The problem is with subjective versus objective answers.

I'm looking for an objective answer.
Price.
Quality.
Location.

Price and quality are pretty easy. If the mattress is well made, you
shouldn't feel the springs, and the material covering it should look
good. You pay what you pay.
I bought my full-size 23 years ago, and it's just starting to sag at
the edge where I sit to get dressed.
Paid about $300 cash with box spring, rails and headboard. No idea of
brand, though it has a label. and AFAIC it's not worth looking at
brands.
Location is up to you.
Got mine at a no-name place on Milwaukee Ave in Chicago that sold
second hand furniture. They had new mattresses in a back room.
Find a place with light overhead for the best price.
They delivered free.
I picked a heavy, hard one and never regretted it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| You say a subjective comment is worthless and you make a dumb statement
| about a memory foam mattress. We love ours.

The OP said a subjective comment is worthless.
I said I don't like memory foam. Just my opinion.
I find it uncomfortable. We have one here but I
prefer the regular foam. (I also don't have AC,
so that might make a difference.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:39:56 -0800, Oren wrote:

...and bring cooties into your home. Bed bugs, etc. It may also be a
violation of local health codes, unless the mattress is sanitized
before hand.

I went to the mattress store on the way to costco today and
wondered the same thing about cooties in _those_ well worn beds!
http://i58.tinypic.com/25sa7ix.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 12:49:49 -0800, Oren wrote:

What about selling him a hammock; either on a swinging frame, or hung
with eye bolts from the guest room wall studs?

I snapped a picture of my _old_ bed, which is just fine, and which must
be something like 20 years old, and I have absolutely no problem with
it.
http://i61.tinypic.com/33u8n13.jpg

On thing I learned that nobody told me was that no bed, nowadays,
according to the sales person, is double sided. Too bad. That means
you get only half the wear (although he insisted it's better to have
only one side).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:55:31 -0800, Oren wrote:

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn one time

I've stayed at probably five hundred hotels in my life,
and I've never had a bad bed in any one of them, around the
world.

A bed is a bed is a bed is a bed.

Some people love to complain, and, I guess, I feel sorry for
those who can't sleep under a rocky outcrop. Like you, I've
done my time, and I can sleep in a hole in the ground as long
as I can figure out how to drain the water so that I'm not
soaking wet the entire time.

A bed is a luxury item.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:00:24 -0600, ChairMan wrote:

The one thing about the mattress business is that no matter
where you buy it or which brand you buy, you cannot compare
them.
Every manufacturer that makes them puts different SKU- model
number, etc depending on who it shipped to. The Serta X at
Costco might be the same as the Serta Z at Sams. This has
been an industry standard for years. So if you like the
mattress and the price, buy it.

I have to agree with you that the mattress industry is odd.

Today, I went to Mattress Discounters, and told them about the
$600 Costco SealyPosturepedic Newfield Cushion Firm Queen
Mattress Set:
http://www.costco.com/Newfield-Cushi...100085538.html

The Mattress Discounters saleswoman said their $1,100 Sealy Posturepedic
"AP 704 Cushion Firm Set" was an equivalent mattress.
http://i60.tinypic.com/i6e0pd.jpg

I thanked her and walked toward the door (because the costco price
was $500 less for the same thing, not to mention almost $50
difference in sales tax alone).
http://i57.tinypic.com/20sf4us.jpg

You know what she did?

She practically chased me to the door, and said she'd give it to me
for the exact same price as (what she said was) the Costco equivalent.

Basically, she dropped the price almost in half on the spot!

It seems mattress stores are as bad as automobile dealerships
and jewelry stores, when it comes to setting asking prices!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:29:02 -0500, Mayayana wrote:

If money were no object I'd buy the best inner spring
mattress I could find.

I didn't snap a picture of it, but nobody told me that there
are two kinds of inner springs.

The Mattress Discounter staff had cutaway models which showed
the difference eloquently.

The older type, which I liked better, is all interlinked
chromed metal, while the newer type (called "APEX" coils in
Sealyposturepedic land) were round coils encased in cloth.

Despite the fact the saleswoman extolled the virtues of the
newer type, I told her I suspect it's just a way to make
things cheaper, since the cloth-connected circular coils
would clearly be easier to manufacture than all metal links.

Anyway, she told me that the NUMBER of coils matter, when you
can get them from about 500 to about 800. The bed she pointed
me to had something like 700 coils (IIRC) but I need to check.

So, apparently, for "sagging" reasons (which is a quality issue),
the discrete number of coils (and the type) make a difference
when buying a mattress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:48:05 -0500, Mayayana wrote:

On the other hand, he's so adamant that he
doesn't care about comfort

It's not that I don't "care" about comfort.

It's just that YOUR idea of comfort will be totally different
than Oren's idea of comfort which will be totally different than
Mayayana's idea of comfort which will be totally different than
ChairMan's idea of comfort which will be totally different than
Ed Pawlowski's idea of comfort, etc.

Scientifically, unless we run a statistically valid sampling
of comfort, it would be a total WASTE OF TIME to ask about
comfort in this ng.

This ng is valuable. But not for subjective things. It's much
better for OBJECTIVE things. Like QUALITY. Or PRICE. Or what
to look out for.

I wish, for example, people had told me about the number of
coils, and the types of coils, and their experience with the
two different type.

I wish also that someone had informed me that no bed nowadays
is reversible. Or that the box spring comes in two sizes which
are four inches different in height. Or that the pillow-top
beds require different sheets than standard. Or that Mattress
Discounters will halve the listed price on their beds.

That is the kind of PRACTICAL information I was looking for!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 15:53:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My suggestion is to try a mattress before you buy.

The problem with "trying" a mattress is that you need to sleep on
the thing overnight to really "try" it.

Sure, everyone "says" to lie on it for 15 minutes in the store,
but, that's like taking a new car on a 5 mile test drive. It's
essentially nearly worthless.

Especially since I've slept on at least 500 hotel beds in my
life, and I've never had a problem with a single one of them.

You say a subjective comment is worthless and you make a dumb statement
about a memory foam mattress. We love ours.

Here is a picture of the three different kinds of "toppings":
firm, plush, and pillow http://i62.tinypic.com/2eav3pg.jpg

I kind of agreed with the saleswoman, who said that you can always
make a mattress topping softer, but you can't make it firmer, so,
you should err on the side of firmness, she said.

Anyway, the pillow made the thing too big for a typical sheet,
and I didn't feel any difference between the three anyway, when
I lay on them, and, besides, the Costco equivalent was firm,
so, I saw no advantage whatsoever of the plush and pillow over
firm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:58:48 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

I bought my full-size 23 years ago, and it's just starting to sag at
the edge where I sit to get dressed.

The saleswoman did say that the newer style (cheaper, if you ask me)
coil springs sag more at the edges, because they're not supported,
compared to the older style interlocking wires.

Nobody told me though, that there are TWO different box spring standard
sizes!
http://i59.tinypic.com/263y9v5.jpg

Since there isn't a functional difference, nor a price nor quality
difference between them (other than 4 inches), I flipped a coin and
went with the smaller size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 00:20:02 -0600, Howard Schornstein wrote:

I wish also that someone had informed me that no bed nowadays
is reversible. Or that the box spring comes in two sizes which
are four inches different in height.

Here's the difference in box spring height.
http://i59.tinypic.com/263y9v5.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:35:42 -0500, Don Phillipson wrote:

Have a look at Consumer Reports magazine, collected by
most good public libraries. Its latest article on beds included
good advice how to evaluate them in the store.

I have a perennial subscription to CR, so, I should check it.

I hadn't even thought of doing that, mostly because, lately, I've
been disillusioned by Consumers Union.

1. They often test models that I can't find in the store
2. They often test for ridiculous things (like motorcycle engine noise)
3. They often don't test what I need to buy (like pasta makers)

It's amazing what they "care" about sometimes, almost as if every
single person who reads their magazine is a prius-loving sun
worshipper and not a well balanced practical person.

However, I can't say how well or poorly they tested beds, so,
I'll look right now, and let you know, since I have the
automatically renewing subscription anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 22:12:11 -0600, philo wrote:

That Sealy at Costco is probably pretty good

It seems that these are the comparisons for a Queen sized set.

Sealy Posturepedic Gel Series AP 704-coil Cushion Firm Mattress Set:
http://www.sealy.com/mattresses/seal...el-series.html

Mattress Factory $900
https://www.themattressfactoryinc.co...uro-pillow-top

Sleeptrain $800