Posted to alt.home.repair
Howard Schornstein[_2_] Howard Schornstein[_2_] is offline

Default How much should a queen mattress and box spring cost and whatdo I look for by way of value?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:29:02 -0500, Mayayana wrote:

If money were no object I'd buy the best inner spring
mattress I could find.

I didn't snap a picture of it, but nobody told me that there
are two kinds of inner springs.

The Mattress Discounter staff had cutaway models which showed
the difference eloquently.

The older type, which I liked better, is all interlinked
chromed metal, while the newer type (called "APEX" coils in
Sealyposturepedic land) were round coils encased in cloth.

Despite the fact the saleswoman extolled the virtues of the
newer type, I told her I suspect it's just a way to make
things cheaper, since the cloth-connected circular coils
would clearly be easier to manufacture than all metal links.

Anyway, she told me that the NUMBER of coils matter, when you
can get them from about 500 to about 800. The bed she pointed
me to had something like 700 coils (IIRC) but I need to check.

So, apparently, for "sagging" reasons (which is a quality issue),
the discrete number of coils (and the type) make a difference
when buying a mattress.