Posted to alt.home.repair
Howard Schornstein[_2_] Howard Schornstein[_2_] is offline

Default How much should a queen mattress and box spring cost and whatdo I look for by way of value?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:00:24 -0600, ChairMan wrote:

The one thing about the mattress business is that no matter
where you buy it or which brand you buy, you cannot compare
them.
Every manufacturer that makes them puts different SKU- model
number, etc depending on who it shipped to. The Serta X at
Costco might be the same as the Serta Z at Sams. This has
been an industry standard for years. So if you like the
mattress and the price, buy it.

I have to agree with you that the mattress industry is odd.

Today, I went to Mattress Discounters, and told them about the
$600 Costco SealyPosturepedic Newfield Cushion Firm Queen
Mattress Set:
http://www.costco.com/Newfield-Cushi...100085538.html

The Mattress Discounters saleswoman said their $1,100 Sealy Posturepedic
"AP 704 Cushion Firm Set" was an equivalent mattress.
http://i60.tinypic.com/i6e0pd.jpg

I thanked her and walked toward the door (because the costco price
was $500 less for the same thing, not to mention almost $50
difference in sales tax alone).
http://i57.tinypic.com/20sf4us.jpg

You know what she did?

She practically chased me to the door, and said she'd give it to me
for the exact same price as (what she said was) the Costco equivalent.

Basically, she dropped the price almost in half on the spot!

It seems mattress stores are as bad as automobile dealerships
and jewelry stores, when it comes to setting asking prices!