Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default How much should a queen mattress and box spring cost and whatdo I look for by way of value?

On 12/28/2014 9:12 AM, Howard Schornstein wrote:
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:32:59 -0500, John wrote:

$600 is low end if its a pillow top. But frankly, buying a mattress on
name alone is foolhardy, you may get lucky, you may not.

Now we're getting somewhere objective and measurable!

What I just want is good value. Good materials (within that value
cost restriction). And to buy at the right store (for value).

'The Mattress Factory' (all USA made) has pretty good prices. We just
bought a queen sized set from there yesterday and paid $650~ for
mattress, box springs, tax, delivery and disposal of the old set. That
is the only place we found locally that carry non-pillow top mattresses.

Non pillow top mattress?
Now we're getting somewhere.

What's the difference between a "pillow top" mattress, and a non
pillow top mattress?

Googling, I see there is "plush" and there is "pillow top".
http://www.ehow.com/about_5397833_pl...-mattress.html

I wonder what type the Costco one is?
http://www.costco.com/Newfield-Cushi...100085540.html

The Costco one says it's "firm", which seems to be the third type.
But, since it can't be flipped, it might be "plush", which is a negative,
since you can't even out wear.

I prefer the old style that you can flip over every 6 months or so as
most pillow tops can't be flipped over.

I agree with you. You get "twice" the wear out of a flippable mattress.
Maybe I won't get the Costco after all.
That means I have to quickly look elsewhere.

Pillow tops are generally much thicker than non-pillow tops

That's also bad. I want the mattress that fits the most bedsheets.

A store that deals only in what you are looking for should carry a wide
selection and many more models on display to *try out*.

Seems to me that it's impossible to "try out" a mattress without
actually sleeping on it overnight. Otherwise, it's like kicking tires.

By trying it out I mean sit and lay on it, your body will will tell you
if its comfortable.

No they probably wont let you sleep there - LMAO

If you can't turn the Costco model over its either a pillow top or cheap
junk.

You are buying a 'pig in a poke' the way you are going at it. But then
again, as you said, you don't use it so who cares. Just buy a blowup and
throw it on the floor, that way you can get rid of the useless furniture.

John