Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kill them all! - the new gas can?

I don't know if this design of this gas can is the result of the Florida law suit or not, but the gas can I just purchased was committee designed.

It has no vent - it takes forever to dispense (gurgle gurgle gurgle)
You are required to push the nozzle down to open. Because
of the mechanics you can't drain it (5 gallon model... about 1 gal left). The seal is a cheap rubber gasket with a grove that rolls over and self destructs if you twist the nozzle - leak leak leak.

If there is ever a revolution, we really do need to kill all the lawyers.

(went back to find a simple "old school" can... couldn't find one)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I don't know if this design of this gas can is the result of the Florida
law suit or not, but the gas can I just purchased was committee designed.

It has no vent - it takes forever to dispense (gurgle gurgle gurgle)
You are required to push the nozzle down to open. Because
of the mechanics you can't drain it (5 gallon model... about 1 gal left).
The seal is a cheap rubber gasket with a grove that rolls over and self
destructs if you twist the nozzle - leak leak leak.

If there is ever a revolution, we really do need to kill all the lawyers.

(went back to find a simple "old school" can... couldn't find one)

this time you don't blame the lawyers. Plenty of time for that later. This
time you blame the bureaucratic eco nazi's who have never used a gas can.

Buy a funnel. You will spill and vent more than with the old style gas can,
but this is progress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I don't know if this design of this gas can is the result of the Florida
law suit or not, but the gas can I just purchased was committee designed.

It has no vent - it takes forever to dispense (gurgle gurgle gurgle)
You are required to push the nozzle down to open. Because
of the mechanics you can't drain it (5 gallon model... about 1 gal left).
The seal is a cheap rubber gasket with a grove that rolls over and self
destructs if you twist the nozzle - leak leak leak.

If there is ever a revolution, we really do need to kill all the lawyers.

(went back to find a simple "old school" can... couldn't find one)

Must be the EPA as those cans seem to be all that you can get now. They
took the vent off the cans years ago. A few years ago they made tht spout
you have to push down.

I have some of the old 5 gallon and a 1 gallon can without the vent. They
work ok buttake a long time to empty.

I bought a new one gallon can to mix oil for the weedeater about 2 years ago
and have spilt more gas out of that can than I do out of all the other cans.

You can go on youtube and see how some are modifying the cans. I think you
can buy some "water can replacement nozzles" . that will fit the gas cans.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Bob F:
I recently started using one of the new cans, and I love it. Using it I rarely
spill even a drop, and it dispenses the gas at a rate that means I can easily
avoid over-filling the mower.

Sounds like there has been a significant breakthrough in CARB-compliant
gas container design.

How about posting a link to the exact product?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message
That is one that I have not seen, Maybe they improved the can over those
sorry push down nozzle cans like the one I have.
I will have to look in the stores to see if I can find one like that.

The smallest at Amazon is 1.25 gallons. On the description, you can click
for a video where No-Spill Jill fills a pitcher, a couple of jars, and a
shot glass, all while busy gabbing. Besides the thumb button, it has an
automatic shutoff, like the nozzle at a gas station.

Those should be good cans for about $ 35 for a plastic can. I have not
bought any in a long time, but they did not have a fancy nozzle and were
under $ 10 for a 5 gallon can.
No more than plastic costs, I would think that a 5 gallon can would not be
more than 2 or 3 bucks more than the one gallon can.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:53:33 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I agree with the funnel idea for anything that will be using the whole
can. (like a boat)
I have a few old nozzles so it is not really an issue for me for my
mower. On the cans that I have with the CARB (California) nozzle, I
took the nozzle out and put a disk in the hole with a gasket I got at
the hardware store. They have a perfect fit in the plumbing parts.

The ones I find on the side of the road, usually have a vent drilled
in them and an old style nozzle. I assume these come from lawn service
trucks since most have 2 stroke oil in them

As a fine upstanding red, white and blue type of a feller, I would be the last one to suggest circumsizing any local/state/national/UN codes or anything... So let's talk about water.

If I were going to pour water from a metal or plastic can and didn't want that annoying glub glub glub noise, I might (not saying I would - just might) consider drilling a 1/16-inch breathing hole, and when finished pouring the water out, I might thread an eyebolt into to it to seal it up -- so that the water fumes wouldn't get out and globally warm the neighborhood.

One tip - don't drill the breathing hole in the bottom of the can. That might seem at first like the best place for it but it ain't. If it leaked then you'd might have a hazardous water spill to deal with. You could have the WATMAT team all over you. Not to mention WOSHA or the WPA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

oldyork90 wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:10:54 -0700:

(went back to find a simple "old school" can... couldn't find one)

The problem is, as I see it, that the California CARB mandated
that the gasoline stay inside for the stated period, without
losing an ounce (yes, they measure loss by weight); but they
never bothered to mandate that the gas come *out* properly.

So, it stays in very well; it just doesn't come out all that well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:53:33 -0400:

I bought a new one gallon can to mix oil for the weedeater about 2 years ago
and have spilt more gas out of that can than I do out of all the other cans.

I gave up on using the spout, especially with the (heavy) five
gallon cans (which is mostly what I use).

I just remove the spout when I use the can, and pour into a funnel.

Because the spout is useless, I tried to find a simple gas cap to
put on the can. I couldn't find one. If only I could find a cap
with the right threads, I'd be in heaven.

I have a dozen of the Blitz cans, but Blitz went out of business, but
other companies bought their molds; but I *still* can't find a simple
cap.

The simple cap would solve *all* the problems!
a) It would hold the gas inside even better than the spout does.
b) It would store much better (because it can't accidentally open).
c) It would be easier to remove when you needed to pour the gas.

So, the best solution, if we can find it, is to find a source for
the gas caps!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Guv Bob wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 16:13:26 -0700:

I might (not saying I would - just might) consider drilling a
1/16-inch breathing hole, and when finished pouring the water
out, I might thread an eyebolt into to it to seal it up

There are videos out there where one drills a hole in the top
flat of the gas can and inserts a rubber tire valve, with the
schrader valve insert removed, and a plastic or steel cap on
top.

But, I still think the *simplest* effective solution is to just
find a replacement cap for the gas cans.

a. That cap would hold the gasoline in, even better than the nozzle.
b. That cap would just be removed to pour the gas.

If we could only find a cap to fit the threads, we'd have the
problem solved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:48:40 -0700:

It is way easier to use than any can I've had previously.

You must live on a different planet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gfretwell wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 18:37:02 -0400:

So you will take 15 minutes to dump 5 gallons in your boat? No thanks.
Use a funnel and throw that spout away.

You can't throw the spout away ... yet.

What I propose, which seems to be the *perfect* solution, is that
we find a replacement cap for the gas cans.

With a replacement cap, we solve all the problems.

1. The gas stays inside the can (so CARB/EPA is happy).
2. The cap is easy to remove (even easier than the ungainly spout).
3. The gas pours fine (even without a vent) into a funnel.

I personally spoke to the CARB guys, who said the specification says
*nothing* about how the gasoline is supposed to come *out* of the can.

The specification is only to keep the gasoline *inside* the can
(during storage).

So, it's NOT like the pumps at the gas station, which have to seal
when you're filling your car. It's nothing like that.

Given that the cap would keep the gasoline inside the can just
as well (probably even better) than the spout, and, given that
the spout is, by all (but one) accounts, useless .... then I
propose we find a CAP that fits the gas can.

Once we find a cap, our problems are all solved!
But, how to find that cap, is the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 16:52:18 -0400:

Agree. I have to unscrew the spout and use
a funnel. I've seen some hacks on www.youtube.com

I know the solution to all our problems!

While *this* solution (modifying the can) will work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

A *better* solution would be to replace the spout with a
gas cap.

That would solve all the problems.

1. The gas would still stay inside during storage
(which is the *only* thing the EPA/CARB cares about!)

2. The gas would come out when we need it
(which is the main thing *we* care about!)

What we need to do is pool our resources to find a replacement
gas cap for the gas can that fits the threads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2014 6:38 PM, Danny D. wrote:

ow the solution to all our problems!

While *this* solution (modifying the can) will work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

A *better* solution would be to replace the spout with a
gas cap.

+1

I modified several 5 gallon cans using this method. Works well.

You can crack the valve cap just a bit to keep the vapors from
"ballooning" out your gas container if it sits in the sun.

As for the filler tube/cap... If some enterprising manufacturer off
shore wanted to smuggle in the old style, he'd make a fortuneg

Posted to alt.home.repair

I modified several 5 gallon cans using this method. Works well.

You can crack the valve cap just a bit to keep the vapors from
"ballooning" out your gas container if it sits in the sun.

As for the filler tube/cap... If some enterprising manufacturer off
shore wanted to smuggle in the old style, he'd make a fortuneg

Some where in the not too distant past, I remember
seeing an ad for spouts for "water containers"
which mysteriously fit on gascans. Though, not
sold as such, you realize.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

I love those compliant gas cans that say not for motor vehicle use......

I mean isnt that what a gas can is for......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Googling "water container spouts" brought up many responses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/14, 9:02 PM, bob haller wrote:
I love those compliant gas cans that say not for motor vehicle use......

I mean isnt that what a gas can is for......

I suppose they mean not to keep it in your trunk. When I fetch gas in
the car, I like to keep it up front, where I can see or smell any problem.

I once had a 2.5 gallon can marked USMC. If I had to keep gas in the
trunk, I'd use one like that. I see NATO cans are available in 5, 10,
and 20 liters. Several states say they aren't legal for storing gas. I
wonder why not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 20:41:31 -0400, Stormin Mormon

I modified several 5 gallon cans using this method. Works well.

You can crack the valve cap just a bit to keep the vapors from
"ballooning" out your gas container if it sits in the sun.

As for the filler tube/cap... If some enterprising manufacturer off
shore wanted to smuggle in the old style, he'd make a fortuneg

Last year I purchased four new 5 gal cans and I HATE all of them. What
I did was throw away the filler spouts and epoxied plexiglas over the
top of the caps. Then I purchased a battery operated siphon pump from
eBay for $15 and it pumps 5 gals in about 3 mins and there are zero
spills. I wish one could buy simple caps for these, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
J Burns writes:

On 9/10/14, 2:10 PM, wrote:
I don't know if this design of this gas can is the result of the
Florida law suit or not, but the gas can I just purchased was
committee designed.

It has no vent - it takes forever to dispense (gurgle gurgle gurgle)
You are required to push the nozzle down to open. Because
of the mechanics you can't drain it (5 gallon model... about 1 gal
left). The seal is a cheap rubber gasket with a grove that rolls
over and self destructs if you twist the nozzle - leak leak leak.

If there is ever a revolution, we really do need to kill all the
lawyers.

(went back to find a simple "old school" can... couldn't find one)

No-Spill. No leaking. Instead of pushing the nozzle, you push a knob
with your thumb for better control, up to 3 gallons a minute. It even
has a translucent strip so you can see how much gas you have.

Hey, cut that out.

Only mindless rants about how things have changed are acceptable here.

I sort of like the new cans too. Sure, I had to learn a new way to
operate the thing, but I didn't break anything in the process.

So, I've got 2 gas cans from before the new laws, and one after.
I don't have many problems operating any of them.

your CARB can must be relatively new. It will become harder to use over
time, as the mechanism binds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2014 9:23 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Only mindless rants about how things have changed are acceptable
here.

I sort of like the new cans too. Sure, I had to learn a new way to
operate the thing, but I didn't break anything in the process.

So, I've got 2 gas cans from before the new laws, and one after. I
don't have many problems operating any of them.

I suppose that the smaller containers are manageable and even the larger
ones would probably be okay IF the idiots that designed them actually
used them in the real world. One size fits all doesn'tg

I don't have any difficulty with a 5 gallon container, but my wife does.
The nozzles on the 2½ gal and 5 gal containers are identical. The
little hook on the spout (that holds the nozzle depressed) doesn't work
for **** with our equipment. The Bobcat has 2 ~ 5 gal saddle tanks and
the fuel opening is about 3½" in diameter. Trying to engage the flow
and keep the can at the proper angle of attack is all but impossible.
Those nozzle do work pretty well for the two pint fuel tanks on a push
mower or rototiller.

I bought some NATO gas cans and if the EPA police want to come and get
me, they can stand right behind the clowns from the mattress label policeg

Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Bob F:
I recently started using one of the new cans, and I love it. Using
it I rarely spill even a drop, and it dispenses the gas at a rate
that means I can easily avoid over-filling the mower.

Sounds like there has been a significant breakthrough in
CARB-compliant gas container design.

How about posting a link to the exact product?

When I have a chance, I'll check if it has any identification. It was a used
freebie at a yard sale, so probably nothing new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pico Rico" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
J Burns writes:

On 9/10/14, 2:10 PM, wrote:
[...]

Of course, there must be a problem.
If only I knew what a CARB was.
Okay, I see, "CARB compliant".

Nope, the new style gas can I have has been around at least
4 years, maybe 5. No change in the way it operates.

Yeah, I know, no matter what, if they changed something, it must
be worse. I just can't seem to get with the program.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

gfretwell wrote, on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 00:18:44 -0400:

At 3 gallons per minute, it would take one minute and forty seconds to dispense 5 gallons.

Still a long time. With a funnel it is more like 20 seconds

By way of comparison ...

It takes me about a four minutes and twenty seconds to empty a
five-gallon gas jug which is placed on the roof of the car (with
a towel underneath to protect the paint) and a 10-foot half-inch
hose for the siphon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote, on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 00:05:02 -0400:

If only I knew what a CARB was.
Okay, I see, "CARB compliant".

It used to be that the California Air Resource Board set the
standards for keeping the gasoline *inside* the can; but now
the EPA has the *same* standards, so, being CARB-compliant
isn't what it used to be.

The key point I've learned from talking personally with the
CARB people is that the standards only dictate how the gas
has to stay inside the can during storage.

They promulgated no standards for how the gas gets *out*
of the can.

So, IMHO, the solution is for us to find a gas cap that fits
the can. With a gas cap, the gas stays inside the can (which
keeps CARB/EPA happy); and yet, we can easily remove the cap
when we need to pour the gas out (using a separate funnel).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unquestionably Confused wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 22:19:20 -0500:

I don't have any difficulty with a 5 gallon container, but my wife does.

Have you ever tried pouring five gallons of gas into an automobile?

I have the Blitz cans, which don't even have multiple handles.

Your arms practically fall off before the gas finishes coming out
of the glug glug spout. And I'm not a little guy.

Nope. What I do is dispense with the spout altogether and just siphon
as needed. It takes just over 4 minutes with a ten foot 1/2 inch ID
vinyle hose to empty a 5-gallon can, with the can on top of a towel
on the roof of the car.

Then, it takes another 30 seconds to get all the last drops out into
a funnel into the vehicle's gas tank, because whatever you leave in
will expand to 22psi (IIRC) which, since the cans definitely do not
leak, will bloat the thing like a beach ball in the hot California
sun.

So, I leave the nozzles loose for empty storage, so all that gas vapor
won't bloat the admittedly otherwise airtight gas can, trying to get as
much liquid out into the car as I can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gfretwell wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 21:16:38 -0400:

You just use the threaded ring with a suitably sized disk where the
spout goes and a gasket from the plumbing department at Ace

I haven't tried that, but if we can spec it out, that would be
the ultimate handymans' solution to the entire problem!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unquestionably Confused wrote, on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 19:25:22 -0500:

You can crack the valve cap just a bit to keep the vapors from
"ballooning" out your gas container if it sits in the sun.

That's exactly what I do when I store the five gallon gas cans
empty!

If I screw the spout on tightly, as if the can is full, the
twenty-something psi bloats the can like a beach ball.

So, I too, leave the spout on loosely when the portable storage
container is empty. I do try to get all the liquid out when I'm
emptying it though, as there's no sense polluting more than we
have to to live with the idiotic design of these gas can spouts.

As I said before, the solution is to find a good gas cap, which
solves almost all the problems almost instantly.

Don't kill yourself US Judges are the enemy Home Repair 0 September 24th 12 11:36 AM
Kill him Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 September 14th 08 12:58 PM
KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 02:03 AM
OT - NRA would argue, "Government policies don't kill people, hurricanes kill people." Cliff Metalworking 155 September 21st 05 05:10 PM
Kill a rat Alan Strassberg Home Ownership 3 August 28th 05 04:53 PM