Posted to alt.home.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default kill them all! - the new gas can?

wrote in message ...
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:53:33 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
I don't know if this design of this gas can is the result of the Florida
law suit or not, but the gas can I just purchased was committee designed.

It has no vent - it takes forever to dispense (gurgle gurgle gurgle)
You are required to push the nozzle down to open. Because
of the mechanics you can't drain it (5 gallon model... about 1 gal left).
The seal is a cheap rubber gasket with a grove that rolls over and self
destructs if you twist the nozzle - leak leak leak.

If there is ever a revolution, we really do need to kill all the lawyers.

(went back to find a simple "old school" can... couldn't find one)

Must be the EPA as those cans seem to be all that you can get now. They
took the vent off the cans years ago. A few years ago they made tht spout
you have to push down.

I have some of the old 5 gallon and a 1 gallon can without the vent. They
work ok buttake a long time to empty.

I bought a new one gallon can to mix oil for the weedeater about 2 years ago
and have spilt more gas out of that can than I do out of all the other cans.

You can go on youtube and see how some are modifying the cans. I think you
can buy some "water can replacement nozzles" . that will fit the gas cans.

---

I agree with the funnel idea for anything that will be using the whole
can. (like a boat)
I have a few old nozzles so it is not really an issue for me for my
mower. On the cans that I have with the CARB (California) nozzle, I
took the nozzle out and put a disk in the hole with a gasket I got at
the hardware store. They have a perfect fit in the plumbing parts.

The ones I find on the side of the road, usually have a vent drilled
in them and an old style nozzle. I assume these come from lawn service
trucks since most have 2 stroke oil in them

As a fine upstanding red, white and blue type of a feller, I would be the last one to suggest circumsizing any local/state/national/UN codes or anything... So let's talk about water.

If I were going to pour water from a metal or plastic can and didn't want that annoying glub glub glub noise, I might (not saying I would - just might) consider drilling a 1/16-inch breathing hole, and when finished pouring the water out, I might thread an eyebolt into to it to seal it up -- so that the water fumes wouldn't get out and globally warm the neighborhood.

One tip - don't drill the breathing hole in the bottom of the can. That might seem at first like the best place for it but it ain't. If it leaked then you'd might have a hazardous water spill to deal with. You could have the WATMAT team all over you. Not to mention WOSHA or the WPA.