Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default kill them all! - the new gas can?

Dan Espen wrote, on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 00:05:02 -0400:

If only I knew what a CARB was.
Okay, I see, "CARB compliant".

It used to be that the California Air Resource Board set the
standards for keeping the gasoline *inside* the can; but now
the EPA has the *same* standards, so, being CARB-compliant
isn't what it used to be.

The key point I've learned from talking personally with the
CARB people is that the standards only dictate how the gas
has to stay inside the can during storage.

They promulgated no standards for how the gas gets *out*
of the can.

So, IMHO, the solution is for us to find a gas cap that fits
the can. With a gas cap, the gas stays inside the can (which
keeps CARB/EPA happy); and yet, we can easily remove the cap
when we need to pour the gas out (using a separate funnel).