Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Here's what (probably) happened to Higgs re avast

1. She buys avast

2. She avails herself of their free phone help

3. That phone help was handled by a third party company called iYogi based
in India

4. iYogo peddled her a wonder package.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/a...iyogi-support/
http://www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/...exposed-189712
http://www.itworld.com/it-management...reware-tactics

Avast has now dumped iYogi. To my mind, avast should step up and
reconcile her problems.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:13:38 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
1. She buys avast

2. She avails herself of their free phone help

3. That phone help was handled by a third party company called iYogi based

in India

4. iYogo peddled her a wonder package.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/a...iyogi-support/

http://www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/...exposed-189712

http://www.itworld.com/it-management...reware-tactics

Avast has now dumped iYogi. To my mind, avast should step up and

reconcile her problems.

--

dadiOH

Yes, good job! I agree that's almost certainly what HB's experience is
all about. And clearly she should complain to AVAST, citing those excellent
links you provided. And I agree that AVAST shares some responsibility in
this. It would be interesting to know what the exact relationship is between
AVAST and iYogi, ie is AVAST paying iYogi or is iYogi doing it for free in
return for being able to sign up paid customers, or is iYogi paying AVAST.

And if she wants to complain to a govt agency, it's clear that the FTC would
be the place to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2014 8:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

HB, he/she/it, has originally posted rant in garden group and had gotten
hosed at $179 for the service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

Yes, good job! I agree that's almost certainly what HB's experience is
all about. And clearly she should complain to AVAST, citing those
excellent links you provided. And I agree that AVAST shares some
responsibility in this. It would be interesting to know what the exact
relationship is between AVAST and iYogi, ie is AVAST paying iYogi or is
iYogi doing it for free in return for being able to sign up paid
customers, or is iYogi paying AVAST.

To my mind, the only relationship between avast and iYogi that matters is
that avast - the principal - agreed to let iYogi function as their agent.
Principals are always responsible for their agents' actions regardless of
the financial arangements between them.

And if she wants to complain to a govt agency, it's clear that the FTC
would be the place to go.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 08:56:00 -0400, Frank
wrote:

HB, he/she/it, has originally posted rant in garden group and had gotten
hosed at $179 for the service.

Somebody tossed her salad?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:25:28 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message

Yes, good job! I agree that's almost certainly what HB's experience is

all about. And clearly she should complain to AVAST, citing those

excellent links you provided. And I agree that AVAST shares some

responsibility in this. It would be interesting to know what the exact

relationship is between AVAST and iYogi, ie is AVAST paying iYogi or is

iYogi doing it for free in return for being able to sign up paid

customers, or is iYogi paying AVAST.

To my mind, the only relationship between avast and iYogi that matters is

that avast - the principal - agreed to let iYogi function as their agent.

Principals are always responsible for their agents' actions regardless of

the financial arangements between them.

I tend to agree, but the devil is always in the details. The question
would be was iYogi really the agent for Avast for whatever product HB
was seeking support? Suppose I have a free product, like the free versions
of Avast, that have no support? Let's say I put on their website that
I don't offer support for that product, but you can buy support at XYZ,
phone #, etc. And then it turns out that XYZ commits a fraud. Am I still
liable?

At the other end of the spectrum, Avast makes it look like they are offering
the support themselves, while farming it out. In that case, I think we
agree that Avast is on the hook. And from the link to what is still on
Avast, it sure looks like this is in fact what is really going on.

But, the real problem is, other than appealing to Avast and hoping to
get lucky, IDK how HB can recover. What those articles show is that there
is some unethical dishonest stuff going on, but it doesn't prove it happened
to HB. And even if you wanted to pursue it, not clear how an individual can.
She could appeal to her credit card company, that's worth a try and is easy.
But problem could be if too much time has passed, they may not be willing to
do anything. She can file with the FTC and if they decide to do something
she might participate in a settlement. But again, given that both companies
involved are foreign, I doubt there is much chance of recovery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

I did. At first AmEx was reluctant because (unbeknownst to me!) they have a 60-day window to dispute. However, when I cited just a FEW things that were done to my computer, cust. svc. agreed to take the dispute. So the $179 comes off my account - but that doesn't "make me whole", as they say in the law biz.

She can file with the FTC and if they decide to do something she might participate in a settlement. But again, given that both companies involved are foreign, I doubt there is much chance of recovery.

You are right, of course. I would be throwing time and money at a situation that in the grand scheme of things is picayune.

My basic interest is getting my computer fixed.

So if Avast isn't PROMPTLY forthcoming about arranging to fixing my computer, and I have to hire $omebody, I do plan to take them to Small Claims, since they have a presence in CA and maybe other states. And of course dedicate myself to besmirching their name anywhere I can.

All in all, I got a cheap lesson in -- I'm not sure WHAT! Transaction seemed perfectly straightforward -- though with 20-20 hindsight, from what folks are saying here, a more clued-in user could have detected that the promise and the price were unrealistic.

Tx to all

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:42:19 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

My basic interest is getting my computer fixed.

I said before to find a 12-year old.

So if Avast isn't PROMPTLY forthcoming about arranging to fixing my computer, and I have to hire $omebody, I do plan to take them to Small Claims, since they have a presence in CA and maybe other states. And of course dedicate myself to Sara Meric anywhere I can.

When you file this claim against AVAST, please give us a case number
as I want to see the final result, see them spank you.

"... dedicate myself to Sara Meric anywhere I
can."

You really are an idiot. Tell everyone here what standing you have in
court, Sara. You really are as dumb as I think you are. For the
record: define "fraud". Tell us the difference in fraud and you being
an idiot.

I told you they will eat your lunch in court. Being the dumb ass you
are, you think you can beat them. AVAST is dealing with an unarmed
idiot. A judge with a half-lick-of-brains will tell what an idiot you
are. Officers of the court will escort you out of the building.

You are a dumb lib trying to fill the courts with frivolous law suits.
You dumb asses can't figure that much out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oren - I think you over-reacted. IF indeed she was tols Avast could
fix anything o her computer for the $179 "premium" she paid, and they
were unable to fix it, she can expect her money back - and using Small
Claims Court is often an effective way to do it. It will cost them
more than the settlement to reperesent themselves in court. She needs
to name Avast and the retailer where she purchaced it, as well as the
salesperson if she has the name.. If she has a record od the time
they spent and what they did it could help her.

To get MORE than what she paid out would be more difficult unless she
could prove financial loss directly attributable to their failure to
perform.

Since she has succeded in getting her credit card charge reversed,
her chances of getting re-imbursement through small claims court have
gone down a few notches. She now needs to convince the small claims
judge she has suffered a defineable loss due to their inability to
perform. That may prove difficult - it may not.

This is not a fraud case, and is not in criminal court. They won't
"eat her lunch" - but I would not advise pursuing it at this point.
Her chances of getting anything would likely be somewhere less than
25%, and there IS the (extremely slim) chance she would be assigned
costs - need to pay court costs.

If she had not gotten the repate through the credit card company,
Small claims court would have been a perfectly valid route to take.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

[...]

_______________________

My basic interest is getting my computer fixed.

Would you please elaborate as to what is wrong with your computer? Please
be as specific as possible.

What problem were you having when you called the support firm? What -
precisely - did they do and what was/were the result(s)?

What needs fixing now?

So if Avast isn't PROMPTLY forthcoming about arranging to fixing my
computer, and I have to hire $omebody, I do plan to take them to Small
Claims, since they have a presence in CA and maybe other states. And of
course dedicate myself to besmirching their name anywhere I can.

First of all, I wouldn't run around trying to besmirch their name. When
push comes to shove, they did nothing wrong...they hired a third party
company to provide telephone support for their products, a not uncommon
occurance. Moreover, they offer that support to all users including those
of their free product. The third party company did nothing wrong
(legally) either; they sold you a product and attempted to honor it.

Secondly, I think you would be wasting your time trying to sue, even in a
court as forgiving as small claims. You would have to prove damages; i.e.,
you would have to prove that THEY did something that boloxed your machine.
How would you do that? You called support BECAUSE you were having one or
more problems; Certainly, they didn't cause that. Could you prove -
prove, not relate - that something they did caused new problems and/or
aggravated the existing one(s)?

If it were me, I'd be writing to the CEO. See here...

Best bet for CEO email address would be or maybe
just

I would not rant, I would not rave, I would not threaten. I would
briefly, accurately and politely relate what happened, the result and ask
for whatever you want them to do.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you follow the thread, as far as I can see, she didn't purchase
anything from Avast. She was talked into a $170 support contract on
the phone by the third party company that does support for Avast.
There isn't any retailer, salesperson, etc. And whoever did the phone
pitch is in India.

To get MORE than what she paid out would be more difficult unless she

could prove financial loss directly attributable to their failure to

perform.

Since she has succeded in getting her credit card charge reversed,

Again, from what I've seen that hasn't happened. She said they agreed to
take the dispute. HB turned that into "so it comes off my card" and you
turned it into she succeeded in getting it reversed. So far, all they are
doing is starting the dispute process. How it will turn out is still open.

her chances of getting re-imbursement through small claims court have

gone down a few notches. She now needs to convince the small claims

judge she has suffered a defineable loss due to their inability to

perform. That may prove difficult - it may not.

Oh please. If she got her money back from the CC company, as you apparently
believe, she has no further case.

This is not a fraud case, and is not in criminal court.

If you read the various links DaddiOH provided, it sure looks like
it could be fraud. It meets the definition of fraudulant sales practices,
at the very least, assuming HB can prove that they did to her, what they
did in those other cases.

They won't

"eat her lunch" - but I would not advise pursuing it at this point.

I guess that depends on your definition. Is losing enough? Not collecting
enough? You do know that both these companies are foreign, right?

Her chances of getting anything would likely be somewhere less than

25%, and there IS the (extremely slim) chance she would be assigned

costs - need to pay court costs.

If she had not gotten the repate through the credit card company,

Small claims court would have been a perfectly valid route to take.

She hasn't gotten a refund from the CC company either. And good luck
with small claims against two companies that aren't even in the USA.
They might not even show up, she could win, then good luck collecting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:13:00 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Good question. But she doesn't appear interested in solving the problem.

So if Avast isn't PROMPTLY forthcoming about arranging to fixing my

computer, and I have to hire $omebody, I do plan to take them to Small

Claims, since they have a presence in CA and maybe other states. And of

course dedicate myself to besmirching their name anywhere I can.

First of all, I wouldn't run around trying to besmirch their name. When

push comes to shove, they did nothing wrong...they hired a third party

company to provide telephone support for their products, a not uncommon

occurance. Moreover, they offer that support to all users including those

of their free product.

We really don't know what Avast does or doesn't do. They might have a different
support company for their paid products or they might do it themselves. They
might just send people using the free product to iYogi in India.

The third party company did nothing wrong

(legally) either; they sold you a product and attempted to honor it.

I think that depends on what tactics they used to make the sale. If
they did what was done in those other cases you posted, it is likley
a violation of laws barring fraudulent sales tactics. And in my experience,
when a company does what was cited in those other cases, it's not
unusual for them to be shystering in other areas, like hiring incompetents
who can't actually help people.

Secondly, I think you would be wasting your time trying to sue, even in a

court as forgiving as small claims. You would have to prove damages; i.e.,

you would have to prove that THEY did something that boloxed your machine.

The damages could just be her $180, unless she gets it back from the CC
company, which she might. If that happens, then I agree, she isn't going
to prove any more damages.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

My basic interest is getting my computer fixed.

So if Avast isn't PROMPTLY forthcoming about arranging to fixing my computer, and I have to hire $omebody, I do plan to take them to Small Claims, since they have a presence in CA and maybe other states. And of course dedicate myself to besmirching their name anywhere I can.

All in all, I got a cheap lesson in -- I'm not sure WHAT! Transaction seemed perfectly straightforward -- though with 20-20 hindsight, from what folks are saying here, a more clued-in user could have detected that the promise and the price were unrealistic.

Tx to all

HB

Hi,
Did any one hear what problem the computer has? What OS? Desktop,
laptop? I am quite curious?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:13:00 PM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

[...]

Thanks for offer to have me state what was wrong with my computer, but that isn't nor ever was, the purpose of the thread.

If it were me, I'd be writing to the CEO. See here...

Best bet for CEO email address would be or maybe

just

I would not rant, I would not rave, I would not threaten. I would briefly, accurately and politely relate what happened, the result and ask for whatever you want them to do.

I did just that to Steckler several weeks ago. (Probably not a good idea to post the letter, all things considered.) I am experienced in writing business letters, you will be glad to know.

Besides, I was never asking the NG to fix my computer; I was asking -- for the nth time! -- whether there was an entity out there to which one could complain.

Some weeks after I wrote -- just a few days ago-- I got a preliminary phone call and email from Avast and am now awaiting a reply to my emailed reply.

I appreciate your civilized response, particularly as your research informs me that I may not be the only Avast customer with this problem.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 6:00:04 PM UTC-7, Tony Hwang wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

My basic interest is getting my computer fixed.

So if Avast isn't PROMPTLY forthcoming about arranging to fixing my computer, and I have to hire $omebody, I do plan to take them to Small Claims, since they have a presence in CA and maybe other states. And of course dedicate myself to besmirching their name anywhere I can.

All in all, I got a cheap lesson in -- I'm not sure WHAT! Transaction seemed perfectly straightforward -- though with 20-20 hindsight, from what folks are saying here, a more clued-in user could have detected that the promise and the price were unrealistic.

Tx to all

HB

Hi,

Did any one hear what problem the computer has? What OS? Desktop,

laptop? I am quite curious?

Tony, it's a desktop, Windows 7, and had accumulated a lot of small problems over time. It happens; junque sneaks in, esp. when user is not tech savvy.
Three of their (incompetent) techs took many hours of my time and left me worse off than before. Hard to imagine how they could, but...!

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:25:28 AM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message

Yes, good job! I agree that's almost certainly what HB's experience is

all about. And clearly she should complain to AVAST, citing those

excellent links you provided. And I agree that AVAST shares some

responsibility in this. It would be interesting to know what the exact

relationship is between AVAST and iYogi, ie is AVAST paying iYogi or is

iYogi doing it for free in return for being able to sign up paid

customers, or is iYogi paying AVAST.

To my mind, the only relationship between avast and iYogi that matters is

that avast - the principal - agreed to let iYogi function as their agent.

Principals are always responsible for their agents' actions regardless of

the financial arangements between them.

And if she wants to complain to a govt agency, it's clear that the FTC

would be the place to go.

Remember, dadiOH, that it's not yet sure, despite your good research, that these Yogi folks are the perps. As I reported earlier, all 3 of them spoke accentless American English, not the kind you hear from India.

Whoever done me wrong, Avast has to stand behind whoever used their name, whether wittingly or unwittingly.

Now have yourself a jolly little weekend! But save some steam for Labor Day.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2014 9:00 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Did any one hear what problem the
computer has? What OS? Desktop,
laptop? I am quite curious?

Not a word, so far. And this conversation
had plenty of replies, speculation, etc.
After all, it's a computer question on a
home repair group. Very successful troll.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2014 10:05 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
My basic interest is getting my computer fixed.

Would you please elaborate as to what is wrong with your computer? Please
be as specific as possible.

What problem were you having when you called the support firm? What -
precisely - did they do and what was/were the result(s)?

What needs fixing now?

So if Avast isn't PROMPTLY forthcoming about arranging to fixing my
computer, and I have to hire $omebody, I do plan to take them to Small
Claims, since they have a presence in CA and maybe other states. And of
course dedicate myself to besmirching their name anywhere I can.

Thanks for offer to have me state what was wrong
with my computer, but that isn't nor ever was,
the purpose of the thread.

HB

I sense a contradiction, here. In any case, it
would be nice if you'd tell the home repair list
if your computer problem (that supposedly caused
all this uproar) is still active, or been
repaired.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:05:52 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I see a trend here. No interest in solving the problem, just complaining.

Some weeks after I wrote -- just a few days ago-- I got a preliminary phone call and email from Avast and am now awaiting a reply to my emailed reply.

More info conveniently left out. She accuses Avast of fraud, but doesn't
tell us that they responded to her complaint by phone and letter, nor
what they said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:22:20 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/23/2014 9:00 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,

Did any one hear what problem the

computer has? What OS? Desktop,

laptop? I am quite curious?

Not a word, so far. And this conversation

had plenty of replies, speculation, etc.

After all, it's a computer question on a

home repair group. Very successful troll.

You missed this:

"Tony, it's a desktop, Windows 7, and had accumulated a lot of small problems over time. It happens; junque sneaks in, esp. when user is not tech savvy.
Three of their (incompetent) techs took many hours of my time and left me worse off than before. Hard to imagine how they could, but...!"

There is still no specifics as to the problems though. She says the tech
support people spent several hours trying to fix it. I don't know if they
are competent or not, but I'd say if they did try to help her for hours,
then it's not *fraud*, which is what she is claiming.

I've said several times now that after years of service, it's not unusual
for a PC to accumulate problems. Everything from occasionally locking up,
to slowing down mysteriously, some programs that should install, won;t, etc.
You can try some things that might work, sounds like the support people may
have done that. But most times, in my experience, there isn't anything you
can do that will fix those kinds of mystery problems that slowly crop up
over years, short of restoring the PC back to it's original as-shipped
software load. Which isn't difficult to do and it's a guaranteed fix. I've
suggested it several times now. Anyone want to bet that the support folks
did too?

Folks should also look back to HB's original post, where while accusing
Avast of fraud, she says that Avast has ignored her:

"They do not answer Certified Mail and emails, so it looks like they are blowing me off. "

Now she just admitted in a new post that they did respond to her both
by phone and mail a few days ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

Attention everyone! I'm affiliated with HB and I'm now offering
lifetime service on all your home appliances for $199. I'll fix *anything* that goes wrong. Give me your CC #'s and I'll ring them up right now.

HB, will you stand behind the claims from all the folks that send me
money?

IMO what makes the whole claim for *fraud* against Avast dubious
is that even HB admits that whatever company is selling the phone
support contract, they helped her on a previous occasion and they
spent several hours trying to help her this time. That might be
incompetence, but it doesn't sound like fraud. I'm not even sure
about the incompetence part, because everyone knows
that there are some PC problems that can only be fixed by reinstalling
the OS or even better, returning the PC to the as-shipped software load.
Did the support folks suggest doing that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

Depends on the state (some states have deceptive trade practices laws on the
books. Texas has one with real teeth even the insurance companies are
afraid of it).

In the end it comes down to the rule of deep pockets. Regardless since the
company sells in the USA there has to be a point of presence whet the court
can seize assets. BTDT

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

((

Small claims court allows you to file where YOU live. Likely they won't
show up and you win. Collecting can be a problem but if you persist you can
get satisfaction.

I won a case `30 years back. Out of stubbornness kept the judgment alive.
The folk who owed the money wanted to sell property. My judgment blocked
the sale. Received a certified check by express overnight with a request to
send the release by return express.

Some how the release was sent regular mail over a holiday weekend. (VEG)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Once the judgment is render the collection process begins. Can be hard
(sue a beggar get a louse) but since both companies have a financial
presence in the USA it's a bit complicated but not that hard to your money.
I've managed to block all transactions by a debtor company with the result
that they typically pay off the debt quickly.

I've found that the world occassionally elects me SOB of the day. I tend to
make the most of the honor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

It doesn't look like it's that simple. There are conditions. For example
if I had a corp here in NJ that makes candles, HB contacts me, buys some,
then decides to sue me because they don't perform correctly, apparently,
she can't.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hapter9-2.html

Businesses

When it comes to suing a business in small claims court, you may sue any business that is organized (incorporated or established as an LLC) in your state.

In addition, you may bring suit against any business-whether incorporated or not-if one of the following conditions is true:
*the business was responsible for injuring you or damaging your property in your state and you can find a way to serve your court papers on the business in your state
*the business breaches a contract with you that was negotiated or was to be performed in your state and you can find a way to serve your court papers on the business in your state
*the business has an office, warehouse, retail establishment, restaurant, or other physical facility here, even if that business is headquartered or organized elsewhere, or
*the business does regular business in your state by selling products or services, employing a sales rep who calls on you personally or by phone to solicit business, sending you a catalog to solicit your business, or placing advertising in your state's media."

HB might be covered under the last two conditions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 04:50:43 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Besides, I was never asking the NG to fix my computer; I was asking -- for the nth time! -- whether there was an entity out there to which one could complain.

I see a trend here. No interest in solving the problem, just complaining.

She's a "Rainy Day Woman".

Some weeks after I wrote -- just a few days ago-- I got a preliminary phone call and email from Avast and am now awaiting a reply to my emailed reply.

More info conveniently left out. She accuses Avast of fraud, but doesn't
tell us that they responded to her complaint by phone and letter, nor
what they said.

She just wants to cry, snivel and whine. She is out to bring Avast to
their knees, show them who's boss and make them grovel. (to lie or
crawl with the face downward and the body prostrate, especially in
abject humility, fear, etc. )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 05:07:35 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Folks should also look back to HB's original post, where while accusing
Avast of fraud, she says that Avast has ignored her:

"They do not answer Certified Mail and emails, so it looks like they are blowing me off. "

Now she just admitted in a new post that they did respond to her both
by phone and mail a few days ago.

She's a "you lib" from Santa Monica.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 05:21:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Attention everyone! I'm affiliated with HB and I'm now offering
lifetime service on all your home appliances for $199. I'll fix *anything* that goes wrong. Give me your CC #'s and I'll ring them up right now.

I'm offering the same "product" for $189.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 07:47:05 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

Small claims court allows you to file where YOU live. Likely they won't
show up and you win. Collecting can be a problem but if you persist you can
get satisfaction.

True. They may not show up. Maybe they will since has publicly
accused them of "fraud". File a counter suit and spank real good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

Hmm,
I am somewhat surprised, you don't have any neighbors or friends, family
member who is good with computers? I am a PE who spent
almost 40 years in the field. As retired senior, I provide free
help to neighbors whoever asks for my help. If new
parts is needed, I don't even buy the part myself. I just tell them "You
need xyz part, go get it" Often I set up home theater, home net work,
etc. too. Lots of fun configuring remote controls. It is a good feeling
helping others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:27:34 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/23/2014 10:05 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

My basic interest is getting my computer fixed.

Would you please elaborate as to what is wrong with your computer? Please

be as specific as possible.

What problem were you having when you called the support firm? What -

[...]

I sense a contradiction, here. In any case, it would be nice if you'd tell the home repair list if your computer problem (that supposedly caused all this uproar) is still active, or been repaired.

I appreciate your concern and I understand that it's time-consuming to wend one's way through a convoluted thread.

However, I have posted several times that I only came here to find out if there was a body, organization, group, whatever, where one could have them investigate fraud. That was the

--

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:53:09 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:27:34 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 8/23/2014 10:05 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

My basic interest is getting my computer fixed.

Would you please elaborate as to what is wrong with your computer? Please

be as specific as possible.

What problem were you having when you called the support firm? What -

[...]

I sense a contradiction, here. In any case, it would be nice if you'd tell the home repair list if your computer problem (that supposedly caused all this uproar) is still active, or been repaired.

I appreciate your concern and I understand that it's time-consuming to wend one's way through a convoluted thread.

However, I have posted *several times* that I only came here to find out if there was a body, organization, group, whatever, where one could have them investigate fraud. That was the ONLY

HI sEND BY mistake

reason I came to the NG. NOT to ask for help on repairs. That would have been highly inappropriate and most likely unproductive, in view of the extent of the damage wrought by the vendor.

You ask if computer has been repaired. No, it has not.

Please notice by WHOM the "uproar" was created and WHAT was his/her/its/their agenda.

To repeat for the last time:

I only posted originally a very upset request for a referral to a source -- if such exists -- to deal with possible fraud. EVERYTHING else is the results of (a) malice on the part of some, and (b) hasty reading of convoluted thread by new posters or ongoing ones.

I have actually received a tentative contact from Avast - as I posted several times -- and have received from the NG potential validation of my claim of fraud.

So let's wind this up, with thanks to supportive members.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:37:10 AM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmm,

I am somewhat surprised, you don't have any neighbors or friends, family

member who is good with computers? I am a PE who spent

almost 40 years in the field. As retired senior, I provide free

help to neighbors whoever asks for my help. If new

parts is needed, I don't even buy the part myself. I just tell them "You

need xyz part, go get it" Often I set up home theater, home net work, etc.

too. Lots of fun configuring remote controls. It is a good feeling helping

others.

attaboy!

Tony & Pico Rico -- You are quite right that it is a good feeling helping others. I've done so often in fields of my expertise (obviously not *complex* computer problems!!! The easy ones I can solve g. )

One of my neighbors was the epitome of that virtue. Helped me so much on so many occasions, but has moved too far away; also, some things need to be addressed hands-on.

Other neighbors also tech-savvy enough have helped, but one needs to be VERY careful not to make a nuisance of oneself!!

Have also hired people in the past - some OK-ish, some less so.

I am glad you are helping others. So many -- on this NG and in society in general -- do not understand, in the immortal words of Benjamin Franklin that:

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Time to wind up this thread.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, the thread was long enough and over due. I heard the other day
at our university alumni picnic, "God keeps volunteers health,
volunteer as much as you can"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Aug 2014, Higgs Boson wrote in
alt.home.repair:

reason I came to the NG. NOT to ask for help on repairs. That
would have been highly inappropriate and most likely unproductive,
in view of the extent of the damage wrought by the vendor.

People have ]asked you repeatedly WHO, specifically, you bought that
"service" from, and WHAT the specific phone number is that called to
buy this service. It's not at all clear that you bought it from Avast,
and I still doubt that you did. The answer to your ombudsman question
depends on your answer, which you decline to give. Since you choose to
withold important facts, we're free to invent any scenario that we
think might fit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:51:27 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 24 Aug 2014, Higgs Boson wrote in

alt.home.repair:

reason I came to the NG. NOT to ask for help on repairs. That

would have been highly inappropriate and most likely unproductive,

in view of the extent of the damage wrought by the vendor.

People have ]asked you repeatedly WHO, specifically, you bought that

"service" from, and WHAT the specific phone number is that called to

buy this service. It's not at all clear that you bought it from Avast,

and I still doubt that you did. The answer to your ombudsman question

depends on your answer, which you decline to give. Since you choose to

withold important facts, we're free to invent any scenario that we

think might fit.

I think HB is a clueless lib.