Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cern announces Higgs

Cern's LHC facility announced today a 5-sigma confidence in their having
discovered the Higgs boson.

Given that, they ferried the 83 year-old Higgs across the sea to
Switzerland for the announcement. They must be pretty confident.

They're still niggling over whether it's the "classic" Higgs, or a more
exotic form, but are sure it is a Higgs.

Physicists now have another toy!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is that a type of ship that was sunk at sea?

Maybe this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/vi...gs-boson-video

What are we talking about?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

. 3.70...
Cern's LHC facility announced today a 5-sigma confidence in their having
discovered the Higgs boson.

Given that, they ferried the 83 year-old Higgs across the sea to
Switzerland for the announcement. They must be pretty confident.

They're still niggling over whether it's the "classic" Higgs, or a more
exotic form, but are sure it is a Higgs.

Physicists now have another toy!

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

What are we talking about?

The Higgs boson. "Discovered" in mathematics in 1964 by himself and two
other independent theoretical physicists.

It took until now to verify its existance. It makes a big difference in
how physicists will approach describing physical substances in the
future.

It's supposed to be the fundamental particle that gives all other larger
particles mass.

It also rapidly decays into smaller particles ?!? What are THEY???

"Scale" may not have a limit in either direction.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 16:45:38 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Cern's LHC facility announced today a 5-sigma confidence in their having
discovered the Higgs boson.

Given that, they ferried the 83 year-old Higgs across the sea to
Switzerland for the announcement. They must be pretty confident.

They're still niggling over whether it's the "classic" Higgs, or a more
exotic form, but are sure it is a Higgs.

Physicists now have another toy!

Crikey, I sure hope a gate doesn't open up in my back yard tomorrow.
I'm calling Mimi and Tuffy to see if they can come over, just in case.

--
Truth loves to go naked.
--Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:28:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 16:45:38 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Cern's LHC facility announced today a 5-sigma confidence in their having
discovered the Higgs boson.

Given that, they ferried the 83 year-old Higgs across the sea to
Switzerland for the announcement. They must be pretty confident.

They're still niggling over whether it's the "classic" Higgs, or a more
exotic form, but are sure it is a Higgs.

Physicists now have another toy!

Crikey, I sure hope a gate doesn't open up in my back yard tomorrow.
I'm calling Mimi and Tuffy to see if they can come over, just in case.

And Two-gun for backup!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We have had the toy for years, just trying to get our hands
around it to measure and test.

They detected the particle as it was decayed out of another particle.

The other particle changed it's characteristics.

Kinda really cool. Been a long haul since the first quark
but as Higgs said himself - he was really pleased that it was
found during his lifetime. Think of Einstein - many of his have been
proved in the past 20 years.

Martin

Cern's LHC facility announced today a 5-sigma confidence in their having
discovered the Higgs boson.

Given that, they ferried the 83 year-old Higgs across the sea to
Switzerland for the announcement. They must be pretty confident.

They're still niggling over whether it's the "classic" Higgs, or a more
exotic form, but are sure it is a Higgs.

Physicists now have another toy!

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

We have had the toy for years, just trying to get our hands
around it to measure and test.

Yeahbut... (my life is dedicated to the "yeah, but!")...

There were (at least) two divergent schools of theoretical physics: one
which accepted the boson, and another that did not. They came up with
entirely different rationalizations of where mass and gravity came from.

Now, there would appear to be only one school that's viable. That,
alone, is a wonderful 'correction'.

Knowing first hand how scientists are, I believe the non-boson-school
physicists will all have to die of old age before their rejection of it
is over, but at least the pro-boson camp has something in its pocket to
call a compass, where before it was only a "treasure map".

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Lloyd
E. Sponenburgh" says...

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

What are we talking about?

The Higgs boson. "Discovered" in mathematics in 1964 by himself and two
other independent theoretical physicists.

It took until now to verify its existance. It makes a big difference in
how physicists will approach describing physical substances in the
future.

Actually it won't. It's part of the standard model. Change would have
come about if it had not been discovered.

It's supposed to be the fundamental particle that gives all other larger
particles mass.

All other particles mass (with a few exceptions). Not all other larger
particles. The Higgs is huge, there are few larger particles. And it's
actually the Higgs field, of which the Higgs Boson is a manifestation,
that is responsible for mass.

It also rapidly decays into smaller particles ?!? What are THEY???

Mostly quarks and antiquarks.

http://profmattstrassler.com/article...-particle/the-
standard-model-higgs/decays-of-the-standard-model-higgs/ has more
detail if you're interested.

"Scale" may not have a limit in either direction.

If it doesn't at the small end then quantum theory is wrong. Since the
Higgs is predicted by quantum theory, the discovery of it is another
confirmation of quantum theory and thus does nothing to suggest that the
Planck scale is wrong.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Lloyd
E. Sponenburgh" says...

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

We have had the toy for years, just trying to get our hands
around it to measure and test.

Yeahbut... (my life is dedicated to the "yeah, but!")...

There were (at least) two divergent schools of theoretical physics: one
which accepted the boson, and another that did not. They came up with
entirely different rationalizations of where mass and gravity came from.

The Standard Model has the Higgs. There are numerous alternative models
that either do not have it or have a different version of it from the
Higgs. The schools aren't "divergent", they just make different
assumptions. Now it turns out that there is a particle at approximately
the predicted mass. Next question, is it the Higgs or something else
(that has to be determined) and if it's the Higgs then is it the Higgs
of the Standard model or of one of the alternative models?

Now, there would appear to be only one school that's viable. That,
alone, is a wonderful 'correction'.

Well, it means that there's no point in chasing the alternative models
anymore.

Knowing first hand how scientists are, I believe the non-boson-school
physicists will all have to die of old age before their rejection of it
is over, but at least the pro-boson camp has something in its pocket to
call a compass, where before it was only a "treasure map".

Few of the "non boson school" as you call it are opposed to the idea.
It's more of an intellectual exercise.