Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Here's what (probably) happened to Higgs re avast

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:13:38 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
1. She buys avast

2. She avails herself of their free phone help

3. That phone help was handled by a third party company called iYogi based

in India

4. iYogo peddled her a wonder package.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/a...iyogi-support/

http://www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/...exposed-189712

http://www.itworld.com/it-management...reware-tactics

Avast has now dumped iYogi. To my mind, avast should step up and

reconcile her problems.

--

dadiOH

Yes, good job! I agree that's almost certainly what HB's experience is
all about. And clearly she should complain to AVAST, citing those excellent
links you provided. And I agree that AVAST shares some responsibility in
this. It would be interesting to know what the exact relationship is between
AVAST and iYogi, ie is AVAST paying iYogi or is iYogi doing it for free in
return for being able to sign up paid customers, or is iYogi paying AVAST.

And if she wants to complain to a govt agency, it's clear that the FTC would
be the place to go.