Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Here's what (probably) happened to Higgs re avast

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:22:20 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/23/2014 9:00 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,

Did any one hear what problem the

computer has? What OS? Desktop,

laptop? I am quite curious?

Not a word, so far. And this conversation

had plenty of replies, speculation, etc.

After all, it's a computer question on a

home repair group. Very successful troll.

You missed this:

"Tony, it's a desktop, Windows 7, and had accumulated a lot of small problems over time. It happens; junque sneaks in, esp. when user is not tech savvy.
Three of their (incompetent) techs took many hours of my time and left me worse off than before. Hard to imagine how they could, but...!"

There is still no specifics as to the problems though. She says the tech
support people spent several hours trying to fix it. I don't know if they
are competent or not, but I'd say if they did try to help her for hours,
then it's not *fraud*, which is what she is claiming.

I've said several times now that after years of service, it's not unusual
for a PC to accumulate problems. Everything from occasionally locking up,
to slowing down mysteriously, some programs that should install, won;t, etc.
You can try some things that might work, sounds like the support people may
have done that. But most times, in my experience, there isn't anything you
can do that will fix those kinds of mystery problems that slowly crop up
over years, short of restoring the PC back to it's original as-shipped
software load. Which isn't difficult to do and it's a guaranteed fix. I've
suggested it several times now. Anyone want to bet that the support folks
did too?

Folks should also look back to HB's original post, where while accusing
Avast of fraud, she says that Avast has ignored her:

"They do not answer Certified Mail and emails, so it looks like they are blowing me off. "

Now she just admitted in a new post that they did respond to her both
by phone and mail a few days ago.