Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Avast fraud

Todd wrote:
On 08/20/2014 05:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Nil wrote:
On 20 Aug 2014, Oren wrote in alt.home.repair:

She can buy a used typewriter? A used memory typewriter?

I've got a vintage rusty IBM Selectric in the garage. A little WD-40
and she'll be good as new! That would be about the right for this
person, I think.

You will be interested in my rare type balls.

Hi,
Years ago at the infancy of PC when 4 Mb hard drive cost couple grands,
I was an EIC a at local university looking after their main system
involved in software development. One day one of the faculty secretary
called me in panic saying she can't use word processor any more, it is
stuck. When I took a look at the problem she never deleted or stored
backed up files externally on floppies. literally hundreds of saved
letter files were plugging up the machine. She thought almighty computer
had endless file saving capacity. When I explained things she seemed
quite surprised.....

Hi Tony,

I have customer, fortunately not all, who are hermetically
irresponsible about backing up. I put them on Carbonite, even
though I find cloud backup creepy.

-T

Hi,
Ditto here. Cloud is like Google, I 'd never trust it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Todd belched:
On 08/20/2014 04:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 16:50:46 -0700, Todd
wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam/Unknown Higgs,

We are addressing a she.

Hi Oren,

I was wondering as she laments not having her son's
22 to shoot critters.

I noticed she won't answer you when you ask a simple,
innocuous question. And never says thank you or acknowledges
your help either. Quite anti-social at times.

Well, notice she hasn't responded to this thread even once.
Some people are just best left in the KF

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 09:55:09 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

I noticed she won't answer you when you ask a simple,
innocuous question. And never says thank you or acknowledges
your help either. Quite anti-social at times.

Well, notice she hasn't responded to this thread even once.
Some people are just best left in the KF

Oh stop. It's fun to watch a lib run around with their hair on fire,
always thinking everything is a crises and feeling like a victim.
Having that superior attitude and intellectual advantage over we peons
of less affluence.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 04:51:16 -0400, Meg wrote:

On 08/20/2014 04:34 PM, Oren wrote:

That isn't a virus, it's a bugger on the screen

Did you gradate hi skol?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bugger

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/booger

No Meggy. I didn't like hall monitors. I went out into the world and
made my bones. Just so you know; the Usenet AHR Hall Monitor position
is currently filled. Aside, you don't posses the skills, knowledge, or
abilities to decide merits.

BTW, I see a little bit of male smegma on your lips. Wipe it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I noticed she won't answer you when you ask a simple,
innocuous question. And never says thank you or acknowledges
your help either. Quite anti-social at times.

Well, notice she hasn't responded to this thread even once.
Some people are just best left in the KF

Oh stop. It's fun to watch a lib run around with their hair on fire,
always thinking everything is a crises and feeling like a victim.
Having that superior attitude and intellectual advantage over we peons
of less affluence.

Hi Oren,

It is their Raison d'êt

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/raison+d%27etre

noun, plural raisons d'être
[rey-zohnz de-truh; French re-zawn de-truh] (Show IPA)

1. reason or justification for being or existence:
Art is the artist's raison d'être.

Or, as you stated, running around with one's hair on fire.

:-)

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OH NO! Did I just say a couple of French words? I
hereby humbly apologies and request your tolerance
of such. Actual real French words too! It was
a momentary lapse and won't happen again.

In Paris they just simply opened their eyes and stared
when we spoke to them in French! We never did succeed
in making those idiots understand their own language.

--Mark Twain - The Innocents Abroad

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 01:51 AM, Meg wrote:
On 08/20/2014 04:34 PM, Oren wrote:

That isn't a virus, it's a bugger on the screen

Did you gradate hi skol?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bugger

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/booger

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

Bugger - This is another fairly unique word with no real American
equivalent. Like bloody it has many uses apart from the obvious
dictionary one pertaining to rather unusual sexual habits. My father was
always shouting "bugger" when he was working in the garage or garden.
Usually when he hit his thumb or dropped a nail or lost something. Today
we might use the sh** or the f*** words but bugger is still as common.
The fuller version of this would be "bugger it". It can also be used to
tell someone to get lost (bugger off), or to admit defeat (we're
buggered) or if you were tired or exhausted you would be buggered. You
can also call someone a bugger. When I won £10 on the lottery my mate
called me a "lucky bugger".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2014 2:26 PM, Todd wrote:
http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

Bugger - This is another fairly unique word with no real American
equivalent. Like bloody it has many uses apart from the obvious
dictionary one pertaining to rather unusual sexual habits. My father was
always shouting "bugger" when he was working in the garage or garden.
Usually when he hit his thumb or dropped a nail or lost something. Today
we might use the sh** or the f*** words but bugger is still as common.
The fuller version of this would be "bugger it". It can also be used to
tell someone to get lost (bugger off), or to admit defeat (we're
buggered) or if you were tired or exhausted you would be buggered. You
can also call someone a bugger. When I won £10 on the lottery my mate
called me a "lucky bugger".

I'd dare to guess the bugger of an OP didn't
figure she would bugger up this bugger of a
thread, about buggering her computer with
this bugger program. Oh, bugger, I can't
get that bugger of a word out of my buggering
mind.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2014 1:36 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 04:51:16 -0400, Meg wrote:

On 08/20/2014 04:34 PM, Oren wrote:

That isn't a virus, it's a bugger on the screen

Did you gradate hi skol?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bugger

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/booger

No Meggy. I didn't like hall monitors. I went out into the world and
made my bones. Just so you know; the Usenet AHR Hall Monitor position
is currently filled. Aside, you don't posses the skills, knowledge, or
abilities to decide merits.

BTW, I see a little bit of male smegma on your lips. Wipe it off.

When I first saw thread, I thought you meant to say booger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:10:59 PM UTC-7, Tony Hwang wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Does anyone know of an "ombudsman" type of person or site where I could upload my problems with Avast.

They sold me a policy to "fix anything wrong on computer". Not only do their techs not know their *** from their elbow, but their hours and hours of unsuccessful efforts have ****ed up my computer so badly I have lost valuable programs and documents.

They do not answer Certified Mail and emails, so it looks like they are blowing me off. Maybe if some entity more powerful than Consumer Sucker leans on them?

I understand such "ombudsman" or whatever you call them, do exist, so maybe you resourceful people can direct me.

I wonder what kinda issues you have with your computer?

Tony, first I must apologize for being unclear about my problems with Avast. There are TWO completely separate issues.

1. When I purchased Avast virus protection, I experienced a lot of problems with the phone and on-line people about registering my purchase properly.

2. I bought a "policy" for lack of a better word, from what now appears to have been a salesman for an outside vendor. Not an uncommon phenomenon, but one which completely fooled me, since I thought I was talking to AVAST.

Salesman DID say very specifically that for $179 a year, they would take care of ANYTHING -- I emphasize ANYTHING

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:47:09 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 8/21/2014 1:36 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 04:51:16 -0400, Meg wrote:

On 08/20/2014 04:34 PM, Oren wrote:

That isn't a virus, it's a bugger on the screen

Did you gradate hi skol?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bugger

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/booger

No Meggy. I didn't like hall monitors. I went out into the world and
made my bones. Just so you know; the Usenet AHR Hall Monitor position
is currently filled. Aside, you don't posses the skills, knowledge, or
abilities to decide merits.

BTW, I see a little bit of male smegma on your lips. Wipe it off.

When I first saw thread, I thought you meant to say booger.

I did [ from an old computer cartoon]. It was premature postification.
And I saw it later. Now Meggy has some male smegma on her face. I
hate hall monitors! Twice she has come at me in recent days. I really
think she has a stick up here ass, cross-wise. If it is really a she
and not an it. One of those "you libs".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

Does anyone know of an "ombudsman" type of person or site where I could upload my problems with Avast.

They sold me a policy to "fix anything wrong on computer". Not only do their techs not know their *** from their elbow, but their hours and hours of unsuccessful efforts have ****ed up my computer so badly I have lost valuable programs and documents.

They do not answer Certified Mail and emails, so it looks like they are blowing me off. Maybe if some entity more powerful than Consumer Sucker leans on them?

I understand such "ombudsman" or whatever you call them, do exist, so maybe you resourceful people can direct me.

TIA

HB

Hi,

I wonder what kinda issues you have with your computer?

Must have hit "Send"? Will watch if post shows up.

I was separating two issues that may have confused you good folks:

1. Anti-virus purchase. Bad customer service.

2. CURRENT PROBLEM: Months later, I purchased a "policy" -- for lack of a better term -- from an online salesman who promised -- his EXACT WORDS -- that for $179 per year they would fix ANYTHING -- repeat -ANYTHING
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:35:43 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 8/21/2014 2:26 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Now you did it. Boogered up the monitor screen with all your buggery.
There ought to be a law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2014 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:35:43 -0400, Stormin Mormon
can also call someone a bugger. When I won £10 on the lottery my mate
called me a "lucky bugger".

I'd dare to guess the bugger of an OP didn't
figure she would bugger up this bugger of a
thread, about buggering her computer with
this bugger program. Oh, bugger, I can't
get that bugger of a word out of my buggering
mind.

Now you did it. Boogered up the monitor screen with all your buggery.
There ought to be a law.

Oh, bugger. Now I've buggered up the thing I was
trying so bugger hard not to do. I'm buggered
for the rest of the day, hope my luck will
bugger off, and won't bugger me tomorrow.
I'm so bugger sorry.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 12:06:53 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Salesman DID say very specifically that for $179 a year, they would take care of ANYTHING -- I emphasize ANYTHING

ANYTHING?! Are you sure he was only talking about Avast? Is there a
twelve-year-old in your neighborhood? He might help just for the
experience. Depends on what "anything" means. Maybe he won't.
Unless you provide three paper bags.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 12:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/21/2014 3:16 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:35:43 -0400, Stormin Mormon
can also call someone a bugger. When I won £10 on the lottery my mate
called me a "lucky bugger".

I'd dare to guess the bugger of an OP didn't
figure she would bugger up this bugger of a
thread, about buggering her computer with
this bugger program. Oh, bugger, I can't
get that bugger of a word out of my buggering
mind.

Now you did it. Boogered up the monitor screen with all your buggery.
There ought to be a law.

Oh, bugger. Now I've buggered up the thing I was
trying so bugger hard not to do. I'm buggered
for the rest of the day, hope my luck will
bugger off, and won't bugger me tomorrow.
I'm so bugger sorry.

Your wife is going to kill me!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 12:06 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Salesman DID say very specifically that for $179 a year, they would take care of ANYTHING -- I emphasize ANYTHING

You were a victim of a dishonest salesman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 12:11 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
is EXACT WORDS -- that for $179 per year they would fix ANYTHING -- repeat -ANYTHING

Dishonest salesman. There is no such thing for $179 per year.
You would be in the thousands for such a thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

I noticed she won't answer you when you ask a simple,
innocuous question. And never says thank you or acknowledges
your help either. Quite anti-social at times.

Well, notice she hasn't responded to this thread even once.
Some people are just best left in the KF

Oh stop. It's fun to watch a lib run around with their hair on fire,
always thinking everything is a crises and feeling like a victim.
Having that superior attitude and intellectual advantage over we peons
of less affluence.

Oh, I agree, but at some point the fun is lost and it just becomes really
sad to watch the stupidity : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2014 3:44 PM, Todd wrote:
On 08/21/2014 12:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Now you did it. Boogered up the monitor screen with all your buggery.
There ought to be a law.

Oh, bugger. Now I've buggered up the thing I was
trying so bugger hard not to do. I'm buggered
for the rest of the day, hope my luck will
bugger off, and won't bugger me tomorrow.
I'm so bugger sorry.

Your wife is going to kill me!

I'm already so buggered, in her eyes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:23:03 -0700, Todd wrote:

[...]

Apologies accepted. Don't let it happen again.

In Paris they just simply opened their eyes and stared
when we spoke to them in French! We never did succeed
in making those idiots understand their own language.

--Mark Twain - The Innocents Abroad

-T

I had a chance in Europe [Germany] to go to Paris. I declined and went
to a rock concert instead in Frankfurt. I now know I was better off in
the long run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:47:13 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
On 08/21/2014 12:11 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

is EXACT WORDS -- that for $179 per year they would fix ANYTHING -- repeat -ANYTHING

Dishonest salesman. There is no such thing for $179 per year.

You would be in the thousands for such a thing.

Anything? Does that mean they'd fix the monitor if it failed? The MB?
The printer? Or was it just phone support? It would be interesting to see
a link to this anything service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 01:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/21/2014 3:44 PM, Todd wrote:
On 08/21/2014 12:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Now you did it. Boogered up the monitor screen with all your buggery.
There ought to be a law.

Oh, bugger. Now I've buggered up the thing I was
trying so bugger hard not to do. I'm buggered
for the rest of the day, hope my luck will
bugger off, and won't bugger me tomorrow.
I'm so bugger sorry.

Your wife is going to kill me!

I'm already so buggered, in her eyes.

Hi Stormin',

Oh Bugger! Now you have got me saying it!

Here is the way to get out of any trouble with
your wife. Just tell her this: "I am sorry honey.
I must not have been listening". Works every time.

No charge.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 01:23 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Did you ever get a chance to see the German/French border? You
could tell who was who. The Germans looked dignified and
well dressed; the French all looked like hobos.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2014 4:33 PM, Todd wrote:
On 08/21/2014 01:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm already so buggered, in her eyes.

Hi Stormin',

Oh Bugger! Now you have got me saying it!

Here is the way to get out of any trouble with
your wife. Just tell her this: "I am sorry honey.
I must not have been listening". Works every time.

No charge.

-T

You know, I keep forgetting some thing I
was going to do. What did you say?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 12:45:37 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 08/21/2014 12:06 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Salesman DID say very specifically that for $179 a year, they would take care of ANYTHING -- I emphasize ANYTHING

You were a victim of a dishonest salesman

Imagine that! What happened to all this promised hope and change, eh?

Some people vote so they can be victims.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Aug 2014, Higgs Boson wrote in
alt.home.repair:

2. I bought a "policy" for lack of a better word, from what now
appears to have been a salesman for an outside vendor. Not an
uncommon phenomenon, but one which completely fooled me, since I
thought I was talking to AVAST.

Salesman DID say very specifically that for $179 a year, they
would take care of ANYTHING -- I emphasize ANYTHING

This is a well-known scam, and you have been taken. Kiss your money
goodbye - there is no chance in Hell that you will get it back. They
have already "fixed" your computer as much as they ever will... and
there's a good chance that they have installed malware on your computer
in the process.

I'm serious.

I get two or three of these calls a week. I recognize them for what
they are by their Caller ID, and I don't answer the phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Aug 2014, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Anything? Does that mean they'd fix the monitor if it failed?
The MB? The printer? Or was it just phone support? It would be
interesting to see a link to this anything service.

Maybe they'll fix the CD drive my kid just shoved a piece of bread
into?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:35:44 -0700, Todd wrote:

I had a chance in Europe [Germany] to go to Paris. I declined and went
to a rock concert instead in Frankfurt. I now know I was better off in
the long run.

Did you ever get a chance to see the German/French border? You
could tell who was who. The Germans looked dignified and
well dressed; the French all looked like hobos.

I did see the Swiss Alps. Had to drive north to an Army Depot to
exchange for new 5-Ton trucks. In Germany I loved the rural areas,
restaurants and the people with a simple life. Visited a Castle or
two. Octoberfest in Munich was a hoot, too.

I prefer Freedom Fries over French Fries

Even the German wine is better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:33:24 -0700, Todd wrote:

Your wife is going to kill me!

I'm already so buggered, in her eyes.

Hi Stormin',

Oh Bugger! Now you have got me saying it!

Here is the way to get out of any trouble with
your wife. Just tell her this: "I am sorry honey.
I must not have been listening". Works every time.

No charge.

Easier to just shake your head up and down like a bobble head doll
saying yes. And not say anything or you may bugger things up.

Words can be dangerous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 02:25 PM, Nil wrote:
On 21 Aug 2014, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Anything? Does that mean they'd fix the monitor if it failed?
The MB? The printer? Or was it just phone support? It would be
interesting to see a link to this anything service.

Maybe they'll fix the CD drive my kid just shoved a piece of bread
into?

I have heard of peanut butter, but never bread :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 02:32 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:35:44 -0700, Todd wrote:

I had a chance in Europe [Germany] to go to Paris. I declined and went
to a rock concert instead in Frankfurt. I now know I was better off in
the long run.

Did you ever get a chance to see the German/French border? You
could tell who was who. The Germans looked dignified and
well dressed; the French all looked like hobos.

I did see the Swiss Alps. Had to drive north to an Army Depot to
exchange for new 5-Ton trucks. In Germany I loved the rural areas,
restaurants and the people with a simple life. Visited a Castle or
two. Octoberfest in Munich was a hoot, too.

I prefer Freedom Fries over French Fries

Even the German wine is better.

I lived out in the country (Germany) for three years. Chased the
cows home. I do miss it.

The Germans called French Fries them Pom Frits (ground apples).
Wouldn't know what you were speaking of if you asked for
French Fries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:24:31 -0700, Todd wrote:

[...]

Places I went to eat at in the country, folks did not speak English. I
pointed at the menu and ate what they brought tout. Sausage, veal,
etc. Most wine was white and made locally - served as "house wine".

Good stuff. Sometimes @ New Year meals I make German dishes. Really
good for a swamp billy cook
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 03:59 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Do you remember the road side bratwurst stands? Sausage
made fresh that day. Grease and culinary heaven!

Never found a decent Brat in the states since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2014 04:10 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Poor Higgs,

Now we are talking about sausage! My how the conversation
can get of track. What? Me??? I know not whatsoever you
speak of!

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote in :

On 08/21/2014 12:11 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
is EXACT WORDS -- that for $179 per year they would fix ANYTHING --
repeat -ANYTHING

Dishonest salesman. There is no such thing for $179 per year.
You would be in the thousands for such a thing.

OK, so he sucked as a salesman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 17:25:52 -0400, Nil
wrote:

On 21 Aug 2014, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Anything? Does that mean they'd fix the monitor if it failed?
The MB? The printer? Or was it just phone support? It would be
interesting to see a link to this anything service.

Maybe they'll fix the CD drive my kid just shoved a piece of bread
into?

I'm really glad you clarified this. All this time I thought a CD tray
was a shelf for a beer can. I feel smarter knowing this now. I guess
the CD tray is not a place to hold a pulled pork BBQ sandwich. either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:37:12 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Todd wrote in :

On 08/21/2014 12:11 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
is EXACT WORDS -- that for $179 per year they would fix ANYTHING --
repeat -ANYTHING

Dishonest salesman. There is no such thing for $179 per year.
You would be in the thousands for such a thing.

OK, so he sucked as a salesman.

Oh stop. You're killin' me Red. What would she pay for Duct Tape on
an annual basis?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 16:10:59 -0700, Todd wrote:

Good stuff. Sometimes @ New Year meals I make German dishes. Really
good for a swamp billy cook

Do you remember the road side bratwurst stands? Sausage
made fresh that day. Grease and culinary heaven!

Most often I was driving a mechanized artillery SP 155 vehicle or a 5
ton truck loaded with 155mm rounds and powder tubes, so I missed or
never saw the stands.

Never found a decent Brat in the states since.

Same here. Folks never going to Otcoberfest have missed out on food
and beverages {gals with big teets}. Some have never danced on tables
or were under the party table
Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:

Bugger - This is another fairly unique word with no real American
equivalent.

I thought 'bugger' was what the public school types did to each other.