Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Free and very Safe: Use avast free antivirus to protect your PC andsave your Money

Hi Friends I am using avast! Free Antivirus to protect my PC and it
serves me very well. Give it a try at
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi Friends I am using avast! Free Antivirus to protect my PC and it
serves me very well. Give it a try at

If Avast is doing this kind of spam, it might be time to switch to something
else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

wrote:
Hi Friends I am using avast! Free Antivirus to protect
my PC and it serves me very well. Give it a try at

If Avast is doing this kind of spam, it might be time to
switch to something else.

I'm pretty sure Avast! hasn't hired some guy named Selvam to post junk via
Google groups. What it is that Selvam links to, I have no idea and am not
about to find out.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

wrote:
Hi Friends I am using avast! Free Antivirus to protect
my PC and it serves me very well. Give it a try at

If Avast is doing this kind of spam, it might be time to
switch to something else.

I'm pretty sure Avast! hasn't hired some guy named Selvam to post junk via
Google groups. What it is that Selvam links to, I have no idea and am not
about to find out.

As far as I can tell, the link is valid. It took my iPad directly to the
Avast download site. At least it looks and acts like the Avast download
site. I can't actually download the software to an iPad, but all the other
Avast links on the site work fine.

I posted a question/concern about Avast spamming usenet (there's at least 2
other groups that got that same post) in the Avast users forum. Let's see
what they say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
"dadiOH" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

Selvam is from the US. I got him pegged on 27th st, in Gary, Ind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

wrote:
Hi Friends I am using avast! Free Antivirus to protect
my PC and it serves me very well. Give it a try at

If Avast is doing this kind of spam, it might be time to
switch to something else.

I'm pretty sure Avast! hasn't hired some guy named Selvam to post junk via
Google groups. What it is that Selvam links to, I have no idea and am not
about to find out.

It turns out that while the spam is not actually coming from Avast, the
company is encouraging it.

Avast users can create a personal link, "Share the unique link via social
networks or email" and get a free upgrade to another Avast product when a
certain number of installs are done via the personal link.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=110643.0

I've voiced my displeasure in the Avast forum, stating that I don't know if
I will continue to recommend Avast to family and friends, something I've
done countless times over the last few years

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:28:26 PM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:

wrote:

Hi Friends I am using avast! Free Antivirus to protect my PC and it

serves me very well. Give it a try at

If Avast is doing this kind of spam, it might be time to switch to something

else.

It turns out that while the spam is not actually coming from Avast, the

company is encouraging it.

Avast users can create a personal link, "Share the unique link via social

networks or email" and get a free upgrade to another Avast product when a

certain number of installs are done via the personal link.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=110643.0

I've voiced my displeasure in the Avast forum, stating that I don't know if

I will continue to recommend Avast to family and friends, something I've

done countless times over the last few years.

I switched to Avast after years of expensive hog Norton. So far so good.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Do you understand the point of this thread? It's not about good vs. bad or
free vs. expensive virus protection products.

It's about the company encouraging Avast users to spam social media, email
and other venues by offering free software as a reward for getting
referrals. Sure, they'll claim they only meant for users to let their
"friends" know about the product, but you can be sure that they knew
exactly how users would spread the word.

I've recommended Avast to countless friends and family, but I've done it by
word of mouth, not by spamming usenet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2013 8:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It turns out that while the spam is not actually coming from Avast, the
company is encouraging it.

Avast users can create a personal link, "Share the unique link via social
networks or email" and get a free upgrade to another Avast product when a
certain number of installs are done via the personal link.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=110643.0

I've voiced my displeasure in the Avast forum, stating that I don't know if
I will continue to recommend Avast to family and friends, something I've
done countless times over the last few years

With those tactics you will never see me using Avast. I;ve been using
Microsoft Security Essentials for over a year now.

Senior Member

I use a separate computer for everything I do on the internet.

I find that antivirus software slows down my Pentium 4 too much. Perhaps if I had a faster computer, it wouldn't be an issue.

What I do if I find that I've gotten a virus is just format the hard drive and reload Windows XP. The only browser I ever use is Internet Explorer, and it comes with Windows XP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/2/2013 8:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It turns out that while the spam is not actually coming from Avast, the
company is encouraging it.

Avast users can create a personal link, "Share the unique link via social
networks or email" and get a free upgrade to another Avast product when a
certain number of installs are done via the personal link.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=110643.0

I've voiced my displeasure in the Avast forum, stating that I don't
know if
I will continue to recommend Avast to family and friends, something I've
done countless times over the last few years

With those tactics you will never see me using Avast. I;ve been using
Microsoft Security Essentials for over a year now.

Hi.
Avast is memory hog....
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
I use a separate computer for everything I do on the internet.

I find that antivirus software slows down my Pentium 4 too much.
Perhaps if I had a faster computer, it wouldn't be an issue.

What I do if I find that I've gotten a virus is just format the hard
drive and reload Windows XP. The only browser I ever use is Internet
Explorer, and it comes with Windows XP.

Hmm,
With P4, if you can, Linux will give you speed as well as security
better than Windows. Our computers(desk top, Laptop) all has dual boot.
Windows with various flavor and Linux(two flavor Mist and Ubuntu) Family
is trained to boot either one depending what they want to do. I maintain
all 6 computers myself. At least if not, you should have maximum memory
with that XP box. P4 memories are dirt cheap now. My dily use laptop is
ASUS ROG with 250MB SSD, two 1GB HDD, lots of memory, i7 cpu, etc. Real
work is done on a desk top running Linux.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/2/2013 8:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hi.
Avast is memory hog....

I guess it depends on what you consider a "memory hog" but at the moment
avast! and avast! service are using a total of 3.1 megabytes on my machine.
That is near the bottom of currrent program memory usage...Winamp is using
5.2 megabytes.

--

dadiOH