Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oren's Fridge

So what happened when the repairman came out? New control board?
Something else?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 12:55:41 -0400, "David Martel"
wrote:

So what happened when the repairman came out? New control board?
Something else?

Dave M.

He put in a new "master board", not the temp control board or testing
of the evap fan. It did NOT fix the fridge.

The guy is the husband (service tech) of my wife's friend. I
explained, based on the PDF you provided, what to check, etc. I did
tell my wife not to let him start throwing parts at it, but....

He removed the new main "master" board saying that was not the problem
and put my old one back in. I offered to print the information for
testing the fan. he declined so I left it alone.

He'll be coning back. Right now the temps are still holding but the
"EF" error code does come back occasionally, but it resets right away
by unplugging the unit. It is still holding temps now.

He implied the temp control board is just a user interface and the fan
is working (groan).

Because my wife and her friend's husband is involved I'm sitting back
with a grin G
Posted to alt.home.repair

My money's on the temp control board.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 17:45:59 -0400, "David Martel"
wrote:

My money's on the temp control board.

Dave M.

I'm inclined to agree. When the EF code is displayed. the up/down
temps cannot be adjusted by the buttons. Unplugging the unit, a power
reset does allow it.

Maybe the tech is embarrassed? The new master board was changed back
to the old (functioning one), which was not a fix. There was no
obvious damage on the old master board. Though that is not assured.

If he does come back, changes the temp control board, I'll try not to
gloat

He said the fan works on my master board, but not on the new one he
installed. Suggested the new board was bad - sigh.

I'll print out the test instruction in the PDF and give it to him,
this time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My money's on the temp control board.

Dave M.

I'll print out the test instruction in the PDF and give it to him,
this time.

Hmm,
I think he ought know if he is factory trained on the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My money's on the temp control board.

Dave M.

I'll print out the test instruction in the PDF and give it to him,
this time.

Hmm,
I think he ought know if he is factory trained on the unit.

I think he should listen to the customer that has done a little
"homework" in the matter, at least. I never checked his credentials.
He was called while I spent four days in the hospital.

I'll give him another chance, for now.
--
"I'd rather have a loyal dog that licks me than one with a pedigree that bites me" -- Mike Huckabee
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My money's on the temp control board.

Dave M.

I'll print out the test instruction in the PDF and give it to him,
this time.

Hmm,
I think he ought know if he is factory trained on the unit.

I "think" he ought to do some testing if he is factory trained;
instead of throwing parts at the unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2014 7:02 PM, Oren wrote:
I'll print out the test instruction in the PDF and give it to him,
this time.

Hmm,
I think he ought know if he is factory trained on the unit.

I "think" he ought to do some testing if he is factory trained;
instead of throwing parts at the unit.

I see the same thing. Not only in techs,
but also in home owners and other customers.

My Dad used to say "yesterday's solutions
will be used on today's problems, even if
they are not appropriate."

BTW, your fridge needs two pounds of freon!
Just give it a good jolt, and it will be fine.
(Well, it worked on the house central AC two
years ago.)

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 19:22:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 8/9/2014 7:02 PM, Oren wrote:
I'll print out the test instruction in the PDF and give it to him,
this time.

Hmm,
I think he ought know if he is factory trained on the unit.

I "think" he ought to do some testing if he is factory trained;
instead of throwing parts at the unit.

I see the same thing. Not only in techs,
but also in home owners and other customers.

My Dad used to say "yesterday's solutions
will be used on today's problems, even if
they are not appropriate."

BTW, your fridge needs two pounds of freon!
Just give it a good jolt, and it will be fine.
(Well, it worked on the house central AC two
years ago.)

The "EF" error code doesn't mention freon. The code is electronic,
don't suspect low freon as a problem today. I could be wrong...
Dave posted a good PDF to narrow it down. What the codes mean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My money's on the temp control board.

Dave M.

I'll print out the test instruction in the PDF and give it to him,
this time.

Hmm,
I think he ought know if he is factory trained on the unit.

I "think" he ought to do some testing if he is factory trained;
instead of throwing parts at the unit.

He's probably been trained to just swap parts until it works ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren,

Not sure he has any reason to be embarrassed. You are getting weird
behavior at your LEDs, intermittently. That could be the main board, the
wiring harness, dirty connections, or the display board. I'd not expect to
see anything wrong on a PC board. Resistors often leave obvious failure
marks but capacitors and ICs don't.
We don't know what tests led hin to suspect a problem with the main
board. Hopefully he was doing tests.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My money's on the temp control board.

Dave M.

I'll print out the test instruction in the PDF and give it to him,
this time.

Hmm,
I think he ought know if he is factory trained on the unit.

I "think" he ought to do some testing if he is factory trained;
instead of throwing parts at the unit.

He's probably been trained to just swap parts until it works ...

Perhaps. IDK, but he said he hopes the supplier will take the "master
board" back, even though it was installed (read white lie). Then
removed it because it wasn't the fix he had hoped for
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 12:31:19 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Not sure he has any reason to be embarrassed. You are getting weird
behavior at your LEDs, intermittently. That could be the main board, the
wiring harness, dirty connections, or the display board. I'd not expect to
see anything wrong on a PC board. Resistors often leave obvious failure
marks but capacitors and ICs don't.
We don't know what tests led hin to suspect a problem with the main
board. Hopefully he was doing tests.

It may be how my wife communicated to him about the fridge.
Apparently, he thought the entire fridge was completely dead vs the
erratic behavior. That may have lead him figure it was the main
board. He took a photo of the schematic to check and follow the wires.
Hope to hear from him in the next day or two - he hasn't called back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Not sure he has any reason to be embarrassed. You are getting weird

behavior at your LEDs, intermittently. That could be the main board, the

wiring harness, dirty connections, or the display board. I'd not expect to

see anything wrong on a PC board. Resistors often leave obvious failure

marks but capacitors and ICs don't.

We don't know what tests led hin to suspect a problem with the main

board. Hopefully he was doing tests.

It may be how my wife communicated to him about the fridge.

Apparently, he thought the entire fridge was completely dead vs the

erratic behavior. That may have lead him figure it was the main

board. He took a photo of the schematic to check and follow the wires.

Hope to hear from him in the next day or two - he hasn't called back.

IDK if you've noticed this, but one of my favorites about incorrectly
supplying info, typically online while asking for help, is people
asking for help with their car and using the term "wont' turn over".
We know what that means, but I see an incredible number of people
that start threads saying the car won't turn over and it's only later
that it's discoverd they actually mean that the starter is spinning the
engine, it just won;t start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2014 11:02 AM, trader_4 wrote:
IDK if you've noticed this, but one of my favorites about incorrectly
supplying info, typically online while asking for help, is people
asking for help with their car and using the term "wont' turn over".
We know what that means, but I see an incredible number of people
that start threads saying the car won't turn over and it's only later
that it's discoverd they actually mean that the starter is spinning the
engine, it just won;t start.

I got a call last week about a door "falling
off the hinges". I'd seen one of those the
week before, and nearly declined the repair.
Turns out to be on the hinges, but the hinges
bent slightly and door doesn't close properly.

And reminds me of the woman I asked "turn the
key to the on position" cause I was checking
breaker points. She stomped the gas a couple
times, turned the starter, and good thing I
didn't lose an arm or two.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

IDK if you've noticed this, but one of my favorites about incorrectly
supplying info, typically online while asking for help, is people
asking for help with their car and using the term "wont' turn over".
We know what that means, but I see an incredible number of people
that start threads saying the car won't turn over and it's only later
that it's discoverd they actually mean that the starter is spinning the
engine, it just won;t start.

I worked as an electrician at a lagre company and when almost any thing
stopped for any reason , it "kicked out" was what the operators would tell
us.
Could be anything from just stuff getting caught and the emergency shutoff
would stop the machine or a circuit breaker was tripped. A couple of
times, go to the motor and it would be running,but the coupling from the
motor to the equipment would be broken.

I used the term of a car engine of won't turn over to mean the starter will
not turn the motor, but others can say that and mean it will just not start.

A well known race car driver was asked what hapened to his car when the
motor quit during a race and he said "it came uncrunk".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:02:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

It may be how my wife communicated to him about the fridge.

Apparently, he thought the entire fridge was completely dead vs the

erratic behavior. That may have lead him figure it was the main

board. He took a photo of the schematic to check and follow the wires.

Hope to hear from him in the next day or two - he hasn't called back.

IDK if you've noticed this, but one of my favorites about incorrectly
supplying info, typically online while asking for help, is people
asking for help with their car and using the term "wont' turn over".
We know what that means, but I see an incredible number of people
that start threads saying the car won't turn over and it's only later
that it's discoverd they actually mean that the starter is spinning the
engine, it just won;t start.

Yep. Sometimes you have to "pull teeth" to get more information. Or
you have to ask for a photo with a link back here.

Guy called me at work one day complaining the his monitor wasn't
working.

- Did you boot the computer? (yes)

- Is the monitor plugged in? (yes)

- What changed since yesterday? (nothing)

So I head upstairs to have a look. Flip the switch on the monitor and
"presto" - the monitor worked. The guy was actually pretty competent
around computers, but I had to goof on him a bit for being "dumb"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yep. Sometimes you have to "pull teeth" to get more information. Or
you have to ask for a photo with a link back here.

Guy called me at work one day complaining the his monitor wasn't
working.

- Did you boot the computer? (yes)

- Is the monitor plugged in? (yes)

- What changed since yesterday? (nothing)

So I head upstairs to have a look. Flip the switch on the monitor and
"presto" - the monitor worked. The guy was actually pretty competent
around computers, but I had to goof on him a bit for being "dumb"

Just about as bad as one call I had about something that would not start.
The start/start station had 2 buttons on it. The fellow was showing me how
it would not start when he was pressing the button. I told him to try the
Green one instead of the Red one. It then started right up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:58:08 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Yep. Sometimes you have to "pull teeth" to get more information. Or
you have to ask for a photo with a link back here.

Guy called me at work one day complaining the his monitor wasn't
working.

- Did you boot the computer? (yes)

- Is the monitor plugged in? (yes)

- What changed since yesterday? (nothing)

So I head upstairs to have a look. Flip the switch on the monitor and
"presto" - the monitor worked. The guy was actually pretty competent
around computers, but I had to goof on him a bit for being "dumb"

Just about as bad as one call I had about something that would not start.
The start/start station had 2 buttons on it. The fellow was showing me how
it would not start when he was pressing the button. I told him to try the
Green one instead of the Red one. It then started right up.

You can't put up a "Wet Paint" sign these days... people want to touch
the paint
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2014 11:58 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Just about as bad as one call I had about something that would not start.
The start/start station had 2 buttons on it. The fellow was showing me how
it would not start when he was pressing the button. I told him to try the
Green one instead of the Red one. It then started right up.

About 8% of the male population is red-green
color blind.

I'm remembering a lawn mower and a boy. Boy
has one thumb holding down the red button,
other arm used to repeatedly pull the start
cord. After a while I told him it starts better
if you don't push the engine kill red button.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 8/11/2014 11:58 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Just about as bad as one call I had about something that would not start.
The start/start station had 2 buttons on it. The fellow was showing me
how
it would not start when he was pressing the button. I told him to try
the
Green one instead of the Red one. It then started right up.

About 8% of the male population is red-green
color blind.

Not sure if that fellow was color blind or not. However there are lots of
switches like those in the plant. There are two buttons , one on top of the
other and are about as big as a quarter. The top one is always the start
and the bottom is always the stop. While the leters on the switches are
small, they are labled Start and Stop.

I am not sure ,but think that the traffic signals are made so the red "stop"
light is always at the top and the green "go" is at the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

He was called while I spent four days in the hospital.

Hope you are okay now? Brain implant?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 22:17:27 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

He was called while I spent four days in the hospital.

Hope you are okay now? Brain implant?

They confirmed what I already knew. Know for years. That I'm on'ry,
mean and need rules.... at least they didn't trim my horns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBT9bRPAqnA

PS: The wife called the tech back today... we'll see what happens when
he throws another 'part at the problem'. An evap fan and check
connection wires as David's PDF pointed out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Was he color blind or half asleep?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/11/2014 11:58 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Just about as bad as one call I had about something that would not start.
The start/start station had 2 buttons on it. The fellow was showing
me how
it would not start when he was pressing the button. I told him to try
the
Green one instead of the Red one. It then started right up.

About 8% of the male population is red-green
color blind.

I'm remembering a lawn mower and a boy. Boy
has one thumb holding down the red button,
other arm used to repeatedly pull the start
cord. After a while I told him it starts better
if you don't push the engine kill red button.

Hi,
Maybe some brains work inverted. Kill button is start button
in that case, LOL! Way back when I was working a summer job on
HV transmission lines, Big sign was put on a trunk breaker,
saying "men working on the line for maintenance" One guy walks into
the room casually push the big breaker on, Kachunk! 7 guys fell from
towers, luckily none died but suffered serious burns and some broken
bones. Even today I think about that guy that day. Why? After that
accident, they put lock on the breakers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 14:21:03 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Way back when I was working a summer job on
HV transmission lines, Big sign was put on a trunk breaker,
saying "men working on the line for maintenance" One guy walks into
the room casually push the big breaker on, Kachunk! 7 guys fell from
towers, luckily none died but suffered serious burns and some broken
bones. Even today I think about that guy that day. Why? After that
accident, they put lock on the breakers.

Lock out Tag out.

...or get fired?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oren's Fridge (now: lockout tagout.)

On 8/12/2014 4:21 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Maybe some brains work inverted. Kill button is start button
in that case, LOL! Way back when I was working a summer job on
HV transmission lines, Big sign was put on a trunk breaker,
saying "men working on the line for maintenance" One guy walks into
the room casually push the big breaker on, Kachunk! 7 guys fell from
towers, luckily none died but suffered serious burns and some broken
bones. Even today I think about that guy that day. Why? After that
accident, they put lock on the breakers.

Lockout tagout is one of the few regulations I
actually like. When possible, I do actually
both lock and tag.

I've heard more than a couple stories of power
being turned on at bad moments.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Way back when I was working a summer job on
HV transmission lines, Big sign was put on a trunk breaker,
saying "men working on the line for maintenance" One guy walks into
the room casually push the big breaker on, Kachunk! 7 guys fell from
towers, luckily none died but suffered serious burns and some broken
bones. Even today I think about that guy that day. Why? After that
accident, they put lock on the breakers.

Lock out Tag out.

..or get fired?

It's been a while, but I've heard of one case
where the shocked guy recovered enough to go
find the unsafe breaker man, and pound his
brains in.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Way back when I was working a summer job on
HV transmission lines, Big sign was put on a trunk breaker,
saying "men working on the line for maintenance" One guy walks into
the room casually push the big breaker on, Kachunk! 7 guys fell from
towers, luckily none died but suffered serious burns and some broken
bones. Even today I think about that guy that day. Why? After that
accident, they put lock on the breakers.

Lock out Tag out.

..or get fired?

It's been a while, but I've heard of one case
where the shocked guy recovered enough to go
find the unsafe breaker man, and pound his
brains in.

Hi,
To make it round again?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Way back when I was working a summer job on
HV transmission lines, Big sign was put on a trunk breaker,
saying "men working on the line for maintenance" One guy walks into
the room casually push the big breaker on, Kachunk! 7 guys fell from
towers, luckily none died but suffered serious burns and some broken
bones. Even today I think about that guy that day. Why? After that
accident, they put lock on the breakers.

Lock out Tag out.

..or get fired?

It's been a while, but I've heard of one case
where the shocked guy recovered enough to go
find the unsafe breaker man, and pound his
brains in.

After that, did he hurt him? Knots on his head faster than he could
rub them off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:12:06 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Lock out Tag out.

..or get fired?

It's been a while, but I've heard of one case
where the shocked guy recovered enough to go
find the unsafe breaker man, and pound his
brains in.

Hi,
To make it round again?

No, he was priming for an epiphany... gettin' the mind right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:01:16 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I'm remembering a lawn mower and a boy.

....told to **** on the spark plug so the engine would turn off

- set a one hundred yard dash record
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm remembering a lawn mower and a boy.

...told to **** on the spark plug so the engine would turn off

- set a one hundred yard dash record

Hi,
I reckon that is true story??? My youngest uncle(1 year older than I,
we went to same high school, he onto Naval academy, me to engineering
school), when we were young like around 7 years old, we used to wander
around bush looking for mushrooms, wild berries... He once ****ed on a
little snake coiled up under the bush, when that thing hissed and jumped
up he dashed a mile like lightning flash...., all the way home.

Until he entered academy he couldn't swim but he became good in the
water. Navy training did it. He is a ROKN Captain(ret) now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm remembering a lawn mower and a boy.

...told to **** on the spark plug so the engine would turn off

- set a one hundred yard dash record

Hi,
I reckon that is true story??? My youngest uncle(1 year older than I,
we went to same high school, he onto Naval academy, me to engineering
school), when we were young like around 7 years old, we used to wander
around bush looking for mushrooms, wild berries... He once ****ed on a
little snake coiled up under the bush, when that thing hissed and jumped
up he dashed a mile like lightning flash...., all the way home.

Until he entered academy he couldn't swim but he became good in the
water. Navy training did it. He is a ROKN Captain(ret) now.

It is true. My brother was the mischievous type. I never fell for his
tricks. He had another victim.

A friend today swears he will never **** on an electric fence again,
barefoot on wet grass and he WILL look for a wire every time.

I'm the fortunate one

Ping Oren SteveB[_15_] Home Repair 1 June 9th 14 02:54 PM
Stainles steel fridge door. Do fridge magnets attach? terry Home Repair 11 July 8th 10 04:23 PM
the fan in the fridge part of Bosch frost free fridge-freezer hasstopped [email protected] UK diy 12 October 15th 08 01:22 AM
Ping: Oren SteveB[_2_] Home Repair 1 December 3rd 07 06:55 PM
PING: Oren jJim McLaughlin Home Repair 0 August 15th 07 02:33 PM