Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stainles steel fridge door. Do fridge magnets attach?

Viewing the collection of 'stuff' on the door of our 30 year old white
enamelled kitchen fridge wondering if, when it ultimately needs
replacement, do fridge magnets attach to stainless?

Not particularly enamoured of stainless, but just curious. Also,
around here anyway, one can always find cheap white appliances,
sometimes even for 'free', from renovations etc. for the trouble of
taking them away and/or minor repair.

But; that absolutely basic Sears Kenmore, with freezer section at top,
has given excellent, really excellent, service. We brought it home
plugged it in all those years ago and it' been working ever since.

Only had one to do one out of service repair (the defrost timer) in
all the years owned; that have included running a small catering
company which required loading and overloading the fridge at times
with items such as oversized turkeys etc. The only other work done on
it has been to replace a cracked off shelf with one made of plywood
(those 26 pound turkeys you know!), rip out some corroded wiring in
the bottom right hand corner of the main compartment, leading to to a
completely useless door mounted 'Butter keeper' and also take it out
to a local auto-body repairer, be resprayed white, from it it's
orginal 'Harvest Gold' (that'll tell you j how old it is!) some 20+
years ago. Also will just mention that respraying white to match the
stove etc. was the idea of my late wife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:40*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), terry

Many stainless fridge doors are just a stainless skin over regular
sheetmetal, so magnet still stick. When you go shopping, just take a
refrigerator magnet with you to try on the units you are considering,
if that is important to you.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the info; had wondered if the stainless just a decorative
layer over something more substantial.
Any likelihood of condensation on the steel inner layer; or maybe they
are glued together for rigidity?
terry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 10:33*am, terry wrote:
Viewing the collection of 'stuff' on the door of our 30 year old white
enamelled kitchen fridge wondering if, when it ultimately needs
replacement, do fridge magnets attach to stainless?

They don't stick to the door on our Electrolux. They do stick to the
side, however.

Not particularly enamoured of stainless, but just curious. Also,
around here anyway, one can always find cheap white appliances,
sometimes even for 'free', from renovations etc. for the trouble of
taking them away and/or minor repair.

SWMBO demanded stainless, so the two-year-old, black, contractor's
model went.

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
[...]

Most stainless steel kitchen appliances will attract a magnet whether
there is steel behind it or not, only the more expensive grades of
stainless steel will not. Less expensive grades will attract a magnet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
terry wrote:
[...]

GE Profile SS will not on the front, just the sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote
Not particularly enamoured of stainless, but just curious. Also,
around here anyway, one can always find cheap white appliances,
sometimes even for 'free', from renovations etc. for the trouble of
taking them away and/or minor repair.

But; that absolutely basic Sears Kenmore, with freezer section at top,
has given excellent, really excellent, service. We brought it home
plugged it in all those years ago and it' been working ever since.

Some stick, some won't so take a magnet with you. Some are not even metal,
but a SS look alike.

The older basic models wee usually very dependable. When you do replace it,
watch the electric bill drop. I got rid on an old 12 cu ft fridge, replaced
it with a low end 18 cu. ft. frost free and had a $10 a month drop in the
bill. It is a second fridge and paid for itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 10:09*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"terry" wrote

Not particularly enamoured of stainless, but just curious. Also,
around here anyway, one can always find cheap white appliances,
sometimes even for 'free', from renovations etc. for the trouble of
taking them away and/or minor repair.

But; that absolutely basic Sears Kenmore, with freezer section at top,
has given excellent, really excellent, service. We brought it home
plugged it in all those years ago and it' been working ever since.

Some stick, some won't so take a magnet with you. * Some are not even metal,
but a SS look alike.

The older basic models wee usually very dependable. *When you do replace it,
watch the electric bill drop. I got rid on an old 12 cu ft fridge, replaced
it with a low end 18 cu. ft. frost free and had a $10 a month drop in the
bill. *It is a second fridge and paid for itself.

I replaced a 25 year old fridge last year. Prior to doing so, I used
a Killowatt meter to record the power usage. It went from $180/yr to
$95. Also agree with what has been said about the stainless doors.
On the Kitchenaid a magnet will not stick to the doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 00:00:03 -0700, trader4 wrote:
I replaced a 25 year old fridge last year. Prior to doing so, I used a
Killowatt meter to record the power usage. It went from $180/yr to $95.
Also agree with what has been said about the stainless doors. On the
Kitchenaid a magnet will not stick to the doors.

Replaced due to malfunction, or just age? How much did the new fridge
cost? (just curious as to how long it needs to last at that sort of power
saving to pay for itself)