Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default the fan in the fridge part of Bosch frost free fridge-freezer hasstopped

As it says in the subject the fan has stopped working (even when we
close the door). It still works ok but I guess it's not as efficient/
effective especially when it's full.
It's a Bosch Exxcel and is only 3 years old though I'm sure it's out
of guarantee.
Any thoughts? Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
As it says in the subject the fan has stopped working (even when we
close the door). It still works ok but I guess it's not as efficient/
effective especially when it's full.
It's a Bosch Exxcel and is only 3 years old though I'm sure it's out
of guarantee.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Swap it for a panaflo one? They last well and are quiet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doki" wrote in message

wrote in message
As it says in the subject the fan has stopped working (even when we
close the door). It still works ok but I guess it's not as efficient/
effective especially when it's full.
It's a Bosch Exxcel and is only 3 years old though I'm sure it's out
of guarantee.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Swap it for a panaflo one? They last well and are quiet.

Build up of ice that the defrost system couldn't cope with. Try a thorough
defrost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Oct, 22:30, "John" wrote:
"Doki" wrote in message

wrote in message
As it says in the subject the fan has stopped working (even when we
close the door). It still works ok but I guess it's not as efficient/
effective especially when it's full.
It's a Bosch Exxcel and is only 3 years old though I'm sure it's out
of guarantee.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Swap it for a panaflo one? They last well and are quiet.

Build up of ice that the defrost system couldn't cope with. Try a thorough
defrost.

what you mean switch it off for a while and let it defrost that way?
If I do that will the freezer stay frozen?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 13 Oct, 22:30, "John" wrote:
"Doki" wrote in message

wrote in message
As it says in the subject the fan has stopped working (even when we
close the door). It still works ok but I guess it's not as efficient/
effective especially when it's full.
It's a Bosch Exxcel and is only 3 years old though I'm sure it's out
of guarantee.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Swap it for a panaflo one? They last well and are quiet.

Build up of ice that the defrost system couldn't cope with. Try a
thorough
defrost.

what you mean switch it off for a while and let it defrost that way?
If I do that will the freezer stay frozen?

if it's owt like out fridge freezer, the fan in in the freezer section, when
the fridge wants cooling it opens some flaps and turns the fan on,

every so often the ice build up gets too much and contacts the fan blades,
making it run noisy, at this point i defrost the freezer (get some freezer
bags from a supermarket, put the frozen food in them and close them, put
them in the garage on a cold night, and defrost the freezer,

i take the fan housing off and pull the ice off the fan area, makes
defrosting faster.

job done for another 8 or 9 months, when the thing was in warrenty, the
first time it did it, we called the engineer out, he said they all do this,
but most people just leave them untill the ice build up jams the fan, dosent
usually harm the motor, but dosent do it any good and of course the fridge
wont cool much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

We defrost quite a few freezers at work and the simple way to melt the
ice quickly is to direct and regular desk-type fan on it. This will
minimise the amount of time the contents are out of the freezer by a
significant amount. Frozen food in something well insulated should
keep cold for a good few hours.

A fan heater might be even better, though I've never tried it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
We defrost quite a few freezers at work and the simple way to melt the
ice quickly is to direct and regular desk-type fan on it. This will
minimise the amount of time the contents are out of the freezer by a
significant amount. Frozen food in something well insulated should
keep cold for a good few hours.

A fan heater might be even better, though I've never tried it.

as long as you don't do what my sister did and melt the internal
plastics ho hum :-)
I used to defrost our old one with a hair dryer,its bit doggy from
dripping water but always used with a RCD

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:41:56 -0700 (PDT), GMM
wrote:

We defrost quite a few freezers at work and the simple way to melt the
ice quickly is to direct and regular desk-type fan on it. This will
minimise the amount of time the contents are out of the freezer by a
significant amount. Frozen food in something well insulated should
keep cold for a good few hours.

A fan heater might be even better, though I've never tried it.

Use a steam wallpaper stripper without the wall-plate attachment. You
can do it in perhaps 15-20 minutes so that the freezer contents are
barely affected.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:

GMM wrote:
We defrost quite a few freezers at work and the simple way to melt the
ice quickly is to direct and regular desk-type fan on it. This will
minimise the amount of time the contents are out of the freezer by a
significant amount. Frozen food in something well insulated should
keep cold for a good few hours.

A fan heater might be even better, though I've never tried it.

as long as you don't do what my sister did and melt the internal
plastics ho hum :-)
I used to defrost our old one with a hair dryer,its bit doggy from
dripping water but always used with a RCD

It's surprising what you can get away with if you're careful. When our
(still under warranty) Bosch fridge freezer needed a thermostat replacing
many years ago the service technician used a hot air paint stripper as his
weapon of choice. It's given many years of trouble free service since then.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
We defrost quite a few freezers at work and the simple way to melt the
ice quickly is to direct and regular desk-type fan on it. This will
minimise the amount of time the contents are out of the freezer by a
significant amount. Frozen food in something well insulated should
keep cold for a good few hours.

A fan heater might be even better, though I've never tried it.

I've used a fan heater on several occasions, however, I'd caution with a
frost-free that there's a hell of a lot of plastic shrouding etc,
betweeen the freezer cavity and the "innards". I *thought* I'd defrosted
a frost-free when I had problems with over-temp, but it was only by
removing the shroud (4 screws, against the bar wall of the freezer
compartment, easy pull-out) that revealed the polar ice-cap loitering
behind. THEN, the fan heater worked effectively. Usual rules of water
and electricity not mixing apply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJ AJ is offline

My Samsung did the same. Watchdog had it on the telly, and they got
Samsung to extend the guarantee to 5 years, considering it a
manufacturing defect.

The bloke came to replace the fan unit. Defrosted the surroundings using
a B&D wallpaper stripper with the stripper 'pad' replaced with a little
nozzle to squirt hot steam around and about.

In article ,
says...

"Doki" wrote in message

wrote in message
As it says in the subject the fan has stopped working (even when we
close the door). It still works ok but I guess it's not as efficient/
effective especially when it's full.
It's a Bosch Exxcel and is only 3 years old though I'm sure it's out
of guarantee.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Swap it for a panaflo one? They last well and are quiet.

Build up of ice that the defrost system couldn't cope with. Try a thorough
defrost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "AJ" typed:
My Samsung did the same. Watchdog had it on the telly, and they got
Samsung to extend the guarantee to 5 years, considering it a
manufacturing defect.

The bloke came to replace the fan unit. Defrosted the surroundings
using a B&D wallpaper stripper with the stripper 'pad' replaced with
a little nozzle to squirt hot steam around and about.

Hehee! That would work much better than squirting cold steam. wink
--
Shaun.