Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, Oh Crap, Now We Have An Ice Storm On The Way

Per Oren:
A dear friend was stationed at Minot AFB...he will dang sure tell you
in no uncertain terms why he hated it.

Guy I used to work with was stationed North of the Arctic Circle -
somewhere in Greenland, IIRC.

They lived in these long Quonset huts placed side-by-side with maybe 50
feet between them.

During storms, when winds were heaven-only-knows how strong and it was
seriously below zero everybody was supposed to stay in their hut and not
go outside under any circumstances.

But the macho thing to do was exit the hut on, say, the North end; run
for the adjacent hut while the wind blew you South, and make it in to
the lee of the other hut at it's South end where they could enter the
hut.

He said that every so often some guy would go out the North end... and
never be seen again.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 22:04:15 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

One of my sick friends sent me this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeNQhj73Koo

Why not Minot? "Freezin' is the reason!".

A dear friend was stationed at Minot AFB...he will dang sure tell you
in no uncertain terms why he hated it.

I spent a year at USCG LorSta Port Clarence, AK.

Back in the 70's when I got my orders I did a little research. I found an
article that said National Geographic considered Nome, AK as the "end of
civilization" in that part of the world.

Port Clarence is about 70 miles north-east of Nome i.e. beyond the edge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2014 9:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ice and snow is expected tonight 2/12/14 and that can cause havoc
if the ice knocks out power and snarls traffic. A number of
schools, government offices and businesses are going to be closed
because the ice storm will make things worse than the snow that hit
us last week. It's just not a normal weather condition for our
Southern province of Alabamastan. ^_^

TDD

New York State also doesn't handle ice storms very well. We have our
share of drivers who don't adapt to road conditions, and end up in
the ditch. Or piled into each other. I do my best to get home and
stay home in moments like this. Ice storm 2003, I took my friend
Jason to get dinner and food. Came home to find my own power out, and
trailer cold.

At 6:15pm we have snow falling here and there is expected to be ice on
the roads around Birmingham tomorrow. At least the schools, government
offices and a lot of businesses decided to close. The don't want a
cluster coitus like we had the last time. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:16:12 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per The Daring Dufas:
My favorite genset is the old Onan air cooled four cylinder 15kw
natural gas fueled gensets because they're very reliable. Every single
one of them I've installed was a used genset from a retail store and
restaurant salvage company. I've made repairs to the engines and
transfer switches when I installed them but all they needed was an
annual oil change and rarely needed spark plugs that tended to last a
very long time especially if I put platinum plugs in them. I'd like to
have one for the house because it would run everything. The largest
genset I installed in a home was a used Kohler 40kw. I've installed a
lot of new Generac 8kw to 20kw gensets in homes...

What is your take on installing a generator rated at 4kw for running on
gasoline - but powered by natural gas? I'm thinking that some of the
RV-oriented generators, although designed for propane, might be a
good fit because they are designed with low noise in mind.
e.g. http://tinyurl.com/pterzde

I came away from power.cummins.com thinking that a 4kw gasoline
generator was good for 3.6 on Propane.

But then I read http://www.propane101.com/propanevsnaturalgas.htm and it
sounded like natural gas is a *lot* less energy-intensive than propane.

Less energy intensive just means it needs more fuel.

Any idea what the conversion factor is for estimating a gasoline
generator's max output when it is run on natural gas?

Properly converted AT LEAT 80%. Properly tuned for natural gas only
(don't try to run it on gasoline) , 100% plus.
Where I'm going is:

- My Better Half has become adamant about installing something that
will do the job even if we are both too sick and/or feeble to
go out and attend to it (as in startup, refueling...)

- Even though we don't pay highway tax on natural gas, it's still
far from free. Otherwise, I'd just go for something like your
15kw Kohler. But my experience is that fuel consumption rises
very sharply as the generator's peak power is increased.

- We already have a smart transfer switch (APC's UTS-6H) that is rated
for 4kw and accepts only 120v power.

- A 2kw generator is pretty much doing it for us now, although another
KW would add a certain convenience factor in terms of load shedding
and/or going outside to run a gas appliance when heating up food
making toast, making coffee, and so-forth.

- I am picking 4kw blindly - without any idea of how much power I will
get out of a 4kw gasoline-rated generator.
Maybe it will turn out that I will need 5kw...
But 6.5 seems like a stretch, as does 3, once the
device is running on natural gas instead of gasoline.

I've got a 9kw unit, converting to NG and figuring on 6500 in the
"real world". It's standing by on Gasoline for the winter - will be
converting in spring - this is a 240 volt unit and will be connected
with an interlock

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

At USCG LorSta Port Clarence AK our runway was about a 1/2 mile from the
main buildings. There was a paved road from the station to the runway.
Normally, when a bush pilot was coming to the station, they'd radio ahead
and we'd send a truck out to the runway to get them or whatever they were
delivering. There was a standard operating procedure for incoming aircraft,
with landing logs, proper communication protocols, strobe lights on the
runway, etc.

One afternoon, during a really bad storm - white out conditions, comms
down, wind buffeting the station, etc. - the front door flies open and in
walks one of the regular bush pilots and 3 Eskimos from the village about
15 miles across Port Clarence Bay. We were surprised to see them walk in
unannounced and the duty officer was ****ed that he wasn't notified by the
radio room about the incoming aircraft. We were even more surprised to see
their plane parked about 20 feet from the front door.

Turned out they were headed to the village from Nome but the conditions
were so bad that the pilot figured our runway was better than the beach he
had to land on in the village. He had tried radioing in but couldn't get
through. He saw a break in the storm, dropped it onto the runway and
taxi'ed up the road to the station. "Aw heck, I didn't want to make you
guys come out in this nasty weather."

They stayed for lunch, played a little poker until the storm passed and
then headed on home. The duty officer "formally" (but with a smile on his
face) requested that he not park his plane in front of the station next
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

At 6:15pm we have snow falling here and there is expected to be ice on
the roads around Birmingham tomorrow. At least the schools, government
offices and a lot of businesses decided to close. The don't want a
cluster coitus like we had the last time. o_O

TDD

Friend of mine in South Carolina says 11 inches
snow, and then sleet on top of that. And more
snow expected.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2014 9:16 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

The smallest genset I installed in homes was the 8kw Generac with the
B&S Vanguard V twin which was a pretty good engine except for the oil
pressure switches which would go bad. The last Generac I installed was
one with the newer Generac manufactured V twin which is a beast and I
think it was a 3,600rpm 10kw and it ran great, it's not a lawnmower
engine but an industrial engine. Someone even took one of the new
Generac V twin engines and installed it in a motorcycle frame. Generac
has a 7kw automatic propane/NG unit that's an excellent genset. What is
good about that unit is the fact that it runs at 1800rpm instead of
3600rpm like gensets that size. This increases the life expectancy and
produces less noise than the 3600rpm screamers. I really recommend a
professional installation with a service contract that gets you at least
an annual oil change and full checkup for any generator you decide to
buy. ^_^

http://www.generac.com/all-products/...repower-series

http://preview.tinyurl.com/lxkmjrv

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One of my sick friends sent me this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeNQhj73Koo

Why not Minot? "Freezin' is the reason!".

A dear friend was stationed at Minot AFB...he will dang sure tell you
in no uncertain terms why he hated it.

I spent a year at USCG LorSta Port Clarence, AK.

Back in the 70's when I got my orders I did a little research. I found an
article that said National Geographic considered Nome, AK as the "end of
civilization" in that part of the world.

Port Clarence is about 70 miles north-east of Nome i.e. beyond the edge.

Grafenwöhr, Germany was the coldest place I've been too (Army). Ice
cycles the size of baseball bats hanging from the roof eaves. If they
fell they could stab you

Lived just west of Lake Placid, NY once. Being from the South, I took
the advice of the locals.

"Travel South until there is no more snow. Pull over on the side of
the road, drop the snow plow and continue South".

I love the Mojave Desert.
Senior Member

I can't speak for Alaska, but if anyone ever visits Northern Canada, keep in mind that the local indigenous people don't really like to be called "Eskimos". In their view, that's the white man's label that's been put on them. To them, lumping them all together under one name ignores the fact that there are important cultural differences between the different groups living in the far north who all collectively call themselves "Inuit". "Inuit" means "the people" in their native language.

I guess it's the same in the States where native americans don't like to be called "Indians" because that's a label that's put on them by the white man. The'd prefer to be recognized as Cree, Cherokee, Blackfoot, Seminole, or whatever group they belong to. It's the same with the Inuit.

The Inuit that live in the many islands in our far north live mostly by fishing in summer and hunting seal in winter. The Inuit that live in the western part of our far north live by hunting caribou, which still migrate north and south every year in large herds.

Many Inuit also supplement their incomes by selling soapstone carvings to art galleries in the southern part of our country that sell them to Canadians dumb enough to pay $3000 for something it took an Inuit 45 minutes to make.

Last edited by nestork : February 13th 14 at 05:13 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My daughter goes to school in Plattsburgh, NY, about 1.5 hours north of
Lake Placid. I keep track of the Plattsburgh weather by getting texts from
the ferry authority that runs the ferries that cross Lake Champlain from
Plattsburgh to Vermont. When I get a text that says they are delayed, or
worse - not running, I know it's bad where my daughter is.

My wife and I found a nice old hotel in Lake Placid called The Pines. They
have a huge covered porch where you can eat dinner and listen to a band on
warm nights. When you're done you climb the stairs to your room with the
big tall bed, an old fashioned dresser and chair, like back in the early
1900's. Cool place, no pun intended.

http://www.thepinesoflakeplacid.com/rooms.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 02:33:37 +0100, nestork
wrote:

DerbyDad03;3197253 Wrote:

One afternoon, during a really bad storm - white out conditions, comms
down, wind buffeting the station, etc. - the front door flies open and
in
walks one of the regular bush pilots and 3 Eskimos from the village
about
15 miles across Port Clarence Bay.

I can't speak for Alaska, but if anyone ever visits Northern Canada,
keep in mind that the locals indigenous people don't like to be called
"Eskimos". In their view, that's the white man's label that's been put
on them. To them, it's a bit like calling people from the southern USA
states "red necks".

Indigenous people prefer to be called "Inuit", which means "the people"
in their native language.

Also, people should be aware that there are different Inuit groups in
the north with significantly different cultures. The Inuit that live in
the many islands in our far north live mostly by fishing in summer and
hunting seal in winter. The Inuit that live in the western part of our
far north live by hunting caribou, which still migrate north and south
every year in large heards.

Many Inuit also supplement their incomes by selling soapstone carvings
to art galleries in the southern part of our country that sell them to
Canadians dumb enough to pay $3000 for something it took an Inuit 45
minutes to make.

I'm not offended by being called a Red Neck. Many in the South look
upon it as a badge of honor.

Documentaries talk about Inuit people and not as Eskimos.

In native nations, give them the proper respect. Never call an
Apache, Navajo, Cherokee, or a Seminole an "Injun"; meaning "Indian"

...or a red skin
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Saranac Lake, New York:

Was famous for treatment of visitors suffering from tuberculosis. The
open porches was where patients would sit in the fresh air.

http://www.saranaclake.com/

Some older homes are now a Bed & Breakfast.

We owned a home above the lake in town.

_Mark Twain’s Connection to Ulysses S. Grant and Saranac Lake_

http://thefreegeorge.com/thefreegeorge/mark-twain-adirondacks/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

stuff snipped

He said that every so often some guy would go out the North end... and
never be seen again.

Sounds a little like the tragedy that befell Robert Scott's expedition:

Oates knew he was suffering from severe frostbite in his feet, could not go
on, and did not want to slow the others down. On 17 March 1912, he left the
tent during a blizzard. His final words,written down by Scott, we 'I am
just going outside, and I may be some time'. He was never seen again. The
other three died in their tent during a blizzard at the end of March. They
were only 11 miles from the next food and fuel depot.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/sea-and...-leaders/scott

--
Bobby G.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by (PeteCresswell) View Post
Guy I used to work with was stationed North of the Arctic Circle -
somewhere in Greenland, IIRC.
Your friend could very well have been stationed at a radar base on the "DEW" line.

The DEW line is a string of radar bases built by the US Air Force back in the 1950's to provide a Distant Early Warning of a Soviet bomber or missile attack. It stretches along the north coast of Alaska, across Northern Canada, across southern Greenland, and even across Iceland. I'd expect it was probably US Air Force along with the Canadian, Danish and Icelandic military manning those radar bases.

File:Map of Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think the DEW line is still operating. I understand the US Military now has satellites that can detect the heat signature or a rocket or missile launch and determine it's trajectory, and so they probably don't need the DEW line anymore.

The Canadian arctic looks pretty desolate when you see pictures taken by people who've gone up there... especially in the winter. But underwater there's abundant marine life all year round.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2014 6:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

At 6:15pm we have snow falling here and there is expected to be ice
on the roads around Birmingham tomorrow. At least the schools,
government offices and a lot of businesses decided to close. The
don't want a cluster coitus like we had the last time. o_O

TDD

Friend of mine in South Carolina says 11 inches snow, and then sleet
on top of that. And more snow expected.

It ain't natural! o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2014 7:33 PM, nestork wrote:
DerbyDad03;3197253 Wrote:

One afternoon, during a really bad storm - white out conditions,
comms down, wind buffeting the station, etc. - the front door flies
open and in walks one of the regular bush pilots and 3 Eskimos from
the village about 15 miles across Port Clarence Bay.

I can't speak for Alaska, but if anyone ever visits Northern Canada,
keep in mind that the locals indigenous people don't like to be
called "Eskimos". In their view, that's the white man's label that's
been put on them. To them, it's a bit like calling people from the
southern USA states "red necks".

Indigenous people prefer to be called "Inuit", which means "the
people" in their native language.

Also, people should be aware that there are different Inuit groups
in the north with significantly different cultures. The Inuit that
live in the many islands in our far north live mostly by fishing in
summer and hunting seal in winter. The Inuit that live in the
western part of our far north live by hunting caribou, which still
migrate north and south every year in large heards.

Many Inuit also supplement their incomes by selling soapstone
carvings to art galleries in the southern part of our country that
sell them to Canadians dumb enough to pay $3000 for something it took
an Inuit 45 minutes to make.

Ancient modern art, the artist laughs at the pseudo intellectuals who
pay ridiculous sums of money for his crap. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2014 6:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

I heard of an Alaskan bush pilot who hovered his light plane in a breeze
outside a control tower in Florida. When the man from the FAA showed up
to investigate, he told the controllers to forget about it because those
pilots were nuts. Bush pilots are like those kids you see doing
unbelievable stunts on skateboards. Those guys do things with aircraft
that the flying machines are not supposed to do. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

At least the bathroom looks modern. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2014 6:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Friend of mine in South Carolina says 11 inches snow, and then sleet
on top of that. And more snow expected.

It ain't natural! o_O

TDD

thump, thump was that your Bible I heard?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

I heard of an Alaskan bush pilot who hovered his light plane in a breeze
outside a control tower in Florida. When the man from the FAA showed up
to investigate, he told the controllers to forget about it because those
pilots were nuts. Bush pilots are like those kids you see doing
unbelievable stunts on skateboards. Those guys do things with aircraft
that the flying machines are not supposed to do. ^_^

TDD

Anyone remember the guy who had some fish
in his plane. A bear tore the plane apart,
to try and get at the fish. So the pilot
had a case of cling wrap and a case of duct
tape flew in. Cling wrapped his plane, and
flew it out.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2014 8:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My daughter goes to school in Plattsburgh, NY, about 1.5 hours north
of Lake Placid. I keep track of the Plattsburgh weather by getting
texts from the ferry authority that runs the ferries that cross Lake
Champlain from Plattsburgh to Vermont. When I get a text that says
they are delayed, or worse - not running, I know it's bad where my
daughter is.

My wife and I found a nice old hotel in Lake Placid called The Pines.
They have a huge covered porch where you can eat dinner and listen to
a band on warm nights. When you're done you climb the stairs to your
room with the big tall bed, an old fashioned dresser and chair, like
back in the early 1900's. Cool place, no pun intended.

http://www.thepinesoflakeplacid.com/rooms.html

At least the bathroom looks modern. ^_^

TDD

Must not be the Russian version, comrade?

The one guy said they did figure out the
lack of hot water. The surveillance cameras
show western journalists leaving the shower
on all day. At least the camera work? Cameras
in the showers?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2014 6:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/12/2014 6:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Friend of mine in South Carolina says 11 inches snow, and then
sleet on top of that. And more snow expected.

It ain't natural! o_O

TDD

thump, thump was that your Bible I heard?

No, I'm using all those free bibles I got from the motel rooms where I
took the hookers to hold down the tarps on the trailer roof. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 21:02:49 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Ice not snow is expected and that's something that may knock out power.
I have natural gas heat but if the power goes, I may go bonkers without
my computers running. ^_^

TDD

I have natural gas range, but that doesn't get
heat all the way to the bedroom. I'd love to

Not only that, they threaten you with death if you try to heat your home
from the stove.

I'm not sure how that works. Am I partly dead after I cook dinner?

put in a vented heater by the bedroom door,
but I can't afford the heater, at the moment.
Life is never perfect, during a power cut.

I need a big warm dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 17:04:33 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 2/10/2014 4:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
There is a winter storm warning in effect for Alabamastan. All
sorts of schools, government offices and businesses will not open
tomorrow Tuesday 2/11/2014 and everyone is freaking out and they
don't want a cluster coitus like what happened the last time snow
fell. What may happen is nothing which I've seen before when the
weather mavins predicted heavy snow and people ran around like ants
from a disturbed ant hill cleaning out the grocery stores. People
were really angry at the weather sorcerers that time. ^_^

TDD

The last one ought have been the caution. Have water and food stored
at home at all times. I heard on the radio, that Georgia is
preemptively declaring state of emergency to get ahead of things.

Ice not snow is expected and that's something that may knock out power.
I have natural gas heat but if the power goes,

Don't you need an electric fan to spread the heat around??

I may go bonkers without
my computers running. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Heat rises. When I have no electricity and need to heat my house with my
stove I simply hang out near the ceiling. Toasty!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:02:55 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Ice not snow is expected and that's something that may knock out power.
I have natural gas heat but if the power goes,

Don't you need an electric fan to spread the heat around??

Heat rises. When I have no electricity and need to heat my house with my
stove I simply hang out near the ceiling. Toasty!

You're on a roll today, Derby. I still have tears in my eyes from the
T-Bird malfunction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2014 11:52 AM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 21:02:49 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Ice not snow is expected and that's something that may knock out
power. I have natural gas heat but if the power goes, I may go
bonkers without my computers running. ^_^

TDD

I have natural gas range, but that doesn't get heat all the way to
the bedroom. I'd love to

Not only that, they threaten you with death if you try to heat your
home from the stove.

I'm not sure how that works. Am I partly dead after I cook dinner?

put in a vented heater by the bedroom door, but I can't afford the
heater, at the moment. Life is never perfect, during a power cut.

I need a big warm dog.

The 80 year old house I'm in has enough air infiltration that I don't
worry abut CO. o_O

TDD
Senior Member

Probably the best investment you can make to help protect against power outages is a pair of long underwear and a long sleeve turtle neck t-shirt; both made out of a soft comfortable material like cotton.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2014 12:52 PM, micky wrote:

I have natural gas range, but that doesn't get
heat all the way to the bedroom. I'd love to

Not only that, they threaten you with death if you try to heat your home
from the stove.

I'm not sure how that works. Am I partly dead after I cook dinner?

Consider thanksgiving. All the range top burners
going, and bird in the oven. After dinner does
anyone LOOK dead? There's your answer.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Feb 13, 2014

Western NY. Went to a couple service calls,
got home about 5 PM. When I left the house at
7:30 to go to scripture study, the roads were
hard pack snow, and traction was poor. One car
in the ditch, I saw.

Return home, the hard pack snow is worse, and
traction is worse. Nearly tail spun twice, and
I was going slow and gentle. Ought have stayed
home, safe.

One friend in SC was without power.
=============================
ICE STORM! No power, water or heat for 32 hours. Power
just came back on, We survived well with guests with
portable propane space heaters, generator for occasional
water (connected to well), bucket toilet, and propane
cookstove (20lb grill bottles). Had food, bottled
water, and came through with flying colors.
==============================
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2014 4:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ice not snow is expected and that's something that may knock out power.
I have natural gas heat but if the power goes,

Don't you need an electric fan to spread the heat around??

Heat rises. When I have no electricity and need to heat my house with my
stove I simply hang out near the ceiling. Toasty!

You're batty.

(Old cabins had a loft, for that same reason.)

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2014 10:42 PM, nestork wrote:
Probably the best investment you can make to help protect against power
outages is a pair of long underwear and a long sleeve turtle neck
t-shirt; both made out of a soft comfortable material like cotton.

How does that protect against outages?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/13/2014 11:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Feb 13, 2014

Western NY. Went to a couple service calls,
got home about 5 PM. When I left the house at
7:30 to go to scripture study, the roads were
hard pack snow, and traction was poor. One car
in the ditch, I saw.

The people in ditches are either idiots that don't understand the physics of driving in the snow and/or were busy talking/texting on their iphones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 04:51:51 -0500, Damning Dumass - Welfare TeaBillie
wrote:

On 02/13/2014 11:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Feb 13, 2014

Western NY. Went to a couple service calls,
got home about 5 PM. When I left the house at
7:30 to go to scripture study, the roads were
hard pack snow, and traction was poor. One car
in the ditch, I saw.

The people in ditches are either idiots that don't understand the physics of driving in the snow and/or were busy talking/texting on their iphones.

Or those whomleft home with vehicles not equipped for the conditions
regardless of their skills. In any case, people who should have stayed
at home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/13/2014 11:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Feb 13, 2014

Western NY. Went to a couple service calls,
got home about 5 PM. When I left the house at
7:30 to go to scripture study, the roads were
hard pack snow, and traction was poor. One car
in the ditch, I saw.

The people in ditches are either idiots that don't understand the
physics of driving in the snow and/or were busy talking/texting on their iphones.

Or those whomleft home with vehicles not equipped for the conditions
regardless of their skills. In any case, people who should have stayed
at home.

Or those who end in the ditch because of someone else's idiot move.

Yesterday morning I was in the right lane of a three lane exit ramp. All
three lanes are used to make a left turn onto the three lane overpass of
the highway. I make the same left hand turn from the same right lane 5 days
a week. Yesterday, as I was making the turn I was surprised to find that I
was so close to the car on my left, the car that I assumed was in the
center lane. In reality, it was some idiot that decided to turn the 3 lane
road into a 4 lane road. I had to move right to avoid contact and went into
the slush along the curb of the overpass.

I kept the control of my vehicle and I may even have contacted the curb.
Had it been another situation, like if I had driven into the slush on the
shoulder of a highway at a higher speed I might well have gone into a ditch
while trying to avoid an accident.

When I see someone in a ditch I don't automatically assume that they or
their car couldn't handle the conditions. I've seen enough idiot moves by
drivers who either didn't know or didn't care about the chaos they left in
their wake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, Oh Crap,Tempurpedic mattress'

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

[...]

Looks nice but lost me at the "stairs". Tempurpedic mattress' I
have one but would never buy another because if one weighs more
than a flea the edge breaks down. I am heavy but I know a
couple that are vegans and thin and they have had warranty
claims also

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

thump, thump was that your Bible I heard?

No, I'm using all those free bibles I got from the motel rooms where I
took the hookers to hold down the tarps on the trailer roof. ^_^

TDD

Why aren't you like everyone else and use tires?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

[...]

You and the bats...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2014 7:55 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

thump, thump was that your Bible I heard?

No, I'm using all those free bibles I got from the motel rooms
where I took the hookers to hold down the tarps on the trailer
roof. ^_^

TDD

Why aren't you like everyone else and use tires?

Because I burn tires to heat the trailer, I'm not going to be a bible
burner. ^_^

TDD

HF is it really all crap? tiredofspam Woodworking 35 June 17th 12 04:20 PM
dog crap bin Gazz UK diy 38 August 4th 11 08:06 PM
IE Crap Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 37 March 5th 10 04:28 AM
Crap about crap flooding the newsgroups, floods the newsgroups! Twayne Woodworking 1 January 15th 08 05:26 AM
Had enough of the crap here D. J. Dorn Woodworking 47 April 5th 05 11:43 AM