Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default IE Crap

According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Right click on any HTM(L) file and select the 'Properties' button.
When the 'Properties' menu opens up select the 'Change' button, then
click Firefox, follwed by the 'OK' button.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:31:02 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Seems to be only on ftp-style links, as in...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/R1.JPG

Maybe it's an ap-setting in Agent that I missed.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Seems to be only on ftp-style links, as in...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/R1.JPG

Maybe it's an ap-setting in Agent that I missed.

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just
dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that
search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to
see it. It would probably load a lot faster, as well.

A link like this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Shih-tzu-002b.jpg loads
quickly, even on Earthlink's slow & old personal webspace servers. FTP
is A LOT SLOWER for the same file.

His FTP server is wide open, as well. I see about 107 files, and one
extra folder there with two more files. He has very little security
there, since it is a public FTP server.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 17:41:23 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

Linux?

Cheers

Crap ;-)

I just downloaded a Cadence PDK... a directory for every file...
Eunuchs, what a pile of crap ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

John has to prove his amateur status ;-) Though his Romanesco
broccoli _does_ looks interesting.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

With Half My Brain Tied Behind My Back
Still More Clever Than Mr.Prissy Pants
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

That's 68K bytes. It would load fast from anywhere. This is 69K

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/CW_second_tunnel.jpg

and loads just about instantly. R1.jpg is over a meg, so that you can
resolved the fractal structure.

His FTP server is wide open, as well. I see about 107 files, and one
extra folder there with two more files. He has very little security
there, since it is a public FTP server.

Of course it's wide open. It's a public FTP site.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Seems to be only on ftp-style links, as in...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/R1.JPG

Maybe it's an ap-setting in Agent that I missed.

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just
dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that
search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to

snip

Add the directory to a Robots.txt file to disallow crawling there.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

They aren't fast on the other side of the country. Several took over
five seconds to load, and one gave me a server error the first try. I
have over 7 MB/s download speed here.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

Then don't load my files.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Seems to be only on ftp-style links, as in...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/R1.JPG

Maybe it's an ap-setting in Agent that I missed.

Could be... when I click the link, it gets opened with FF.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:01:30 -0000, "TTman"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Seems to be only on ftp-style links, as in...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/R1.JPG

Maybe it's an ap-setting in Agent that I missed.

Could be... when I click the link, it gets opened with FF.

From Dave Turner, an old Primenet compatriot:

Agent has an option to switch ftp to use Firefox.

Tools-Options-URL and MIME Settings-URL Types

Use the down arrow on URL: to find ftp: File Transfer Protocol

Uncheck the box "Share settings with the http protocol"

Set "Use custom settings (below)"

Browse to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

It just worked for me.

===============

Worked for me ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Control panel - Add/remove programs - Set Program Access and defaults:
Set your choices here.

Not applicable to IE but necessary for other programs:
Internet explorer - Internet Options - programs tab - set your default
programs here.

Oppie

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:22:51 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Control panel - Add/remove programs - Set Program Access and defaults:
Set your choices here.

Not applicable to IE but necessary for other programs:
Internet explorer - Internet Options - programs tab - set your default
programs here.

Oppie

Do you have a problem reading?

He SAID WITH Firefox AS DEFAULT.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 13:43:04 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

[snip]

Of course it's wide open. It's a public FTP site.

Wide open or read-only? The former could be a big problem. OTOH, I do
need some extra space for my data. ;-)

It's supposed to be read-only, but give it a try.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:22:51 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Control panel - Add/remove programs - Set Program Access and defaults:
Set your choices here.

Not applicable to IE but necessary for other programs:
Internet explorer - Internet Options - programs tab - set your default
programs here.

Oppie

Do you have a problem reading?

He SAID WITH Firefox AS DEFAULT.

OK, I stand corrected. And yes, I am dyslexic so DO have a problem
reading...

Meant to write Firefox but was looking at my settings and got it backwards.
Same process still stands - just substitute Firefox.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:34:58 -0800, John Larkin wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 13:43:04 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
John Larkin wrote:

[snip]

Of course it's wide open. It's a public FTP site.

Wide open or read-only? The former could be a big problem. OTOH, I do
need some extra space for my data. ;-)

It's supposed to be read-only, but give it a try.

It asks for a username and password, and "guest" "guest" doesn't work. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:47:39 -0500, "Oppie"
wrote:

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I am sorry about that then.

Meant to write Firefox but was looking at my settings and got it backwards.
Same process still stands - just substitute Firefox.

What he was saying is that despite his default selection, IE was
"horning in".
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:52:00 -0800 Archimedes' Lever
wrote in Message id:
:

I am sorry about that then.

[falls out of chair]

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

OK, I stand corrected. And yes, I am dyslexic so DO have a problem
reading...

I am sorry about that then.

Meant to write Firefox but was looking at my settings and got it
backwards.
Same process still stands - just substitute Firefox.

What he was saying is that despite his default selection, IE was
"horning in"

No problem. I really should try harder to get these things straight.
Horning in...I thought that things like that were all over following the
last MS antitrust action.
Oh, well. Same stuff, different day. smile

Oppie

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not
already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

The Digital Goddess (one of your neighbors?) had this to say about your
problem in today's newsletter
http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=7632

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:55:03 -0500, Bill Palmer wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:52:00 -0800 Archimedes' Lever
wrote in Message id:
:

I am sorry about that then.

[falls out of chair]

You? Yer still a retard.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:16:33 -0800 Archimedes' Lever
wrote in Message id:
:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:55:03 -0500, Bill Palmer wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:52:00 -0800 Archimedes' Lever
wrote in Message id:
:

I am sorry about that then.

[falls out of chair]

You? Yer still a retard.

You? You were sperm that should have been captured in a condom and flushed
down a toilet.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

:

wrote in Message id:
:

I am sorry about that then.

[falls out of chair]

You? Yer still a retard.

You? You were sperm that should have been captured in a condom and flushed
down a toilet.

What makes think he wasn't? They need to keep the bag ladies from
living in squats, in the sewers.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

:

wrote in Message id:
:

I am sorry about that then.

[falls out of chair]

You? Yer still a retard.

You? You were sperm that should have been captured in a condom and flushed
down a toilet.

Your retarded mother should be jailed as a felon for the crime of not
flushing your retarded, pathetic ass, the moment she shat you out of her
retarded ass.

****tards like you, that get birthed through a colon, do not deserve to
be among humans. Your parents should be jailed and tortured while you
are forced to watch. Just before you get vivisected.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:04:04 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[snip]

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just
dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that
search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to
see it. It would probably load a lot faster, as well.

I think he just likes screwing with people who don't know how to set up
proxy servers. ;-)

There are several FREE file hosting sites.

You are the kind of idiots that would try to use a street flare to
light a bon fire, when a simple friggin' match would suffice.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Archimedes' Lever wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:04:04 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[snip]

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just
dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that
search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to
see it. It would probably load a lot faster, as well.

I think he just likes screwing with people who don't know how to set up
proxy servers. ;-)

There are several FREE file hosting sites.

You are the kind of idiots that would try to use a street flare to
light a bon fire, when a simple friggin' match would suffice.

Street flares work much better if there's a breeze.

And the trolls are still wet...

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[snip]

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just
dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that
search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to
see it. It would probably load a lot faster, as well.

I think he just likes screwing with people who don't know how to set up
proxy servers. ;-)

Several times I tried to see what he was linked to and was either
denied access, or only got part of the file. I use 'Coffee Cup FTP' to
upload files to my websites, but it's a pain to keep adding 'servers'
for a file or two only to have problems with the files.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:54:28 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Archimedes' Lever wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:04:04 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[snip]

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just
dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that
search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to
see it. It would probably load a lot faster, as well.

I think he just likes screwing with people who don't know how to set up
proxy servers. ;-)

There are several FREE file hosting sites.

You are the kind of idiots that would try to use a street flare to
light a bon fire, when a simple friggin' match would suffice.

Street flares work much better if there's a breeze.

Strike anywhere matches stay lit long enough to light a bon fire for all
but the most idiotic dopes' aptitudes for the task. Lighting a flare is
just plain stupid.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:33:24 -0800, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:27:44 -0800, Archimedes' Lever wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:04:04 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[snip]

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just
dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that
search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to
see it. It would probably load a lot faster, as well.

I think he just likes screwing with people who don't know how to set up
proxy servers. ;-)

There are several FREE file hosting sites.

Maybe he doesn't want to put files somewhere out of his control.

If he is making them publicly available through the ftp, there is no
difference. If you think there is, your head will never be in the
clouds.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:27:44 -0800, Archimedes' Lever wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:04:04 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[snip]

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just
dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that
search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to
see it. It would probably load a lot faster, as well.

I think he just likes screwing with people who don't know how to set up
proxy servers. ;-)

There are several FREE file hosting sites.

Maybe he doesn't want to put files somewhere out of his control.

Then there is the simple easy method of opening up an IRC client, and
simply passing the file(s) directly to one's associate. D'OH!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:27:44 -0800, Archimedes' Lever wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:04:04 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[snip]

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just
dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that
search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to
see it. It would probably load a lot faster, as well.

I think he just likes screwing with people who don't know how to set up
proxy servers. ;-)

There are several FREE file hosting sites.

Maybe he doesn't want to put files somewhere out of his control.

Then there is the simple easy method of opening up an IRC client, and
simply passing the file(s) directly to one's associate. D'OH!

How many people in the "real" world know what IRC is, let alone how to use
it, or even have a client?

Anyone with those little instant message thingies. Pretty much the same
protocols. One can share a file over most instant messaging clients as
well.

It is already a push button world for the completely clueless. It just
requires folks like me to point out or hand hold the level one users that
do not even know what a cursor key is. Like you, having no clue about
the myriad of ways one can pass a file between computers not directly
proximal to each other.

That would hardly be an effective way of making a file generally available
on request.

mediafire dot com. No big deal. No register... the file dissipates,
just like a news posting would. Register, and you can have your own
little free hosted server. No big ****ing deal. Total user/uploader
control. No big deal... at all.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:07:49 -0800, Fred Abse
wrote:

Of course there is a difference. Files in the hands of a third party are
open to being altered.

You really are in the dark about free server hostings, much less paid
versions. It would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Bad for
business. You missed that character flaw. Makes one wonder why.

Crap about crap flooding the newsgroups, floods the newsgroups! Twayne Woodworking 1 January 15th 08 05:26 AM
MI5 Crap Salmo Woodturning 1 January 2nd 08 08:19 PM
Do you get crap like this in the US? ian field Electronics Repair 13 November 8th 06 03:10 AM
Had enough of the crap here D. J. Dorn Woodworking 47 April 5th 05 11:43 AM
freeview is crap? The Natural Philosopher UK diy 96 December 9th 04 01:58 AM