Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, Oh Crap, Now We Have An Ice Storm On The Way

On 2/12/2014 7:33 PM, nestork wrote:
DerbyDad03;3197253 Wrote:

One afternoon, during a really bad storm - white out conditions,
comms down, wind buffeting the station, etc. - the front door flies
open and in walks one of the regular bush pilots and 3 Eskimos from
the village about 15 miles across Port Clarence Bay.

I can't speak for Alaska, but if anyone ever visits Northern Canada,
keep in mind that the locals indigenous people don't like to be
called "Eskimos". In their view, that's the white man's label that's
been put on them. To them, it's a bit like calling people from the
southern USA states "red necks".

Indigenous people prefer to be called "Inuit", which means "the
people" in their native language.

Also, people should be aware that there are different Inuit groups
in the north with significantly different cultures. The Inuit that
live in the many islands in our far north live mostly by fishing in
summer and hunting seal in winter. The Inuit that live in the
western part of our far north live by hunting caribou, which still
migrate north and south every year in large heards.

Many Inuit also supplement their incomes by selling soapstone
carvings to art galleries in the southern part of our country that
sell them to Canadians dumb enough to pay $3000 for something it took
an Inuit 45 minutes to make.

Ancient modern art, the artist laughs at the pseudo intellectuals who
pay ridiculous sums of money for his crap. ^_^

TDD