Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default OT, Oh Crap, Now We Have An Ice Storm On The Way

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 02:33:37 +0100, nestork
wrote:

DerbyDad03;3197253 Wrote:

One afternoon, during a really bad storm - white out conditions, comms
down, wind buffeting the station, etc. - the front door flies open and
in
walks one of the regular bush pilots and 3 Eskimos from the village
about
15 miles across Port Clarence Bay.

I can't speak for Alaska, but if anyone ever visits Northern Canada,
keep in mind that the locals indigenous people don't like to be called
"Eskimos". In their view, that's the white man's label that's been put
on them. To them, it's a bit like calling people from the southern USA
states "red necks".

Indigenous people prefer to be called "Inuit", which means "the people"
in their native language.

Also, people should be aware that there are different Inuit groups in
the north with significantly different cultures. The Inuit that live in
the many islands in our far north live mostly by fishing in summer and
hunting seal in winter. The Inuit that live in the western part of our
far north live by hunting caribou, which still migrate north and south
every year in large heards.

Many Inuit also supplement their incomes by selling soapstone carvings
to art galleries in the southern part of our country that sell them to
Canadians dumb enough to pay $3000 for something it took an Inuit 45
minutes to make.

I'm not offended by being called a Red Neck. Many in the South look
upon it as a badge of honor.

Documentaries talk about Inuit people and not as Eskimos.

In native nations, give them the proper respect. Never call an
Apache, Navajo, Cherokee, or a Seminole an "Injun"; meaning "Indian"

...or a red skin