Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Toilet fishing apparently banned at Sochi Olympics"

"A sign posted in the restroom of a Sochi Olympic venue went viral
over the weekend after Canadian snowboarder Sebastien Toutant tweeted
it. (@SebToots/Twitter"

Sign:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/toilet-fishing-apparently-banned-sochi-olympics

USA USA USA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:31:58 -0800, Oren wrote:

"A sign posted in the restroom of a Sochi Olympic venue went viral
over the weekend after Canadian snowboarder Sebastien Toutant tweeted
it. (@SebToots/Twitter"

Sign:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/toilet-fishing-apparently-banned-sochi-olympics

USA USA USA

Didn't I read that you shoudlnt' go to Sushi in months that contain an
R?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 20:28:27 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:31:58 -0800, Oren wrote:

"A sign posted in the restroom of a Sochi Olympic venue went viral
over the weekend after Canadian snowboarder Sebastien Toutant tweeted
it. (@SebToots/Twitter"

Sign:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/toilet-fishing-apparently-banned-sochi-olympics

USA USA USA

Didn't I read that you shoudlnt' go to Sushi in months that contain an
R?

Not sure what you read mickey. I now you should only eat oysters in
months that have an "R".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2014 4:31 PM, Oren wrote:
"A sign posted in the restroom of a Sochi Olympic venue went viral
over the weekend after Canadian snowboarder Sebastien Toutant
tweeted it. (@SebToots/Twitter"

Sign:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/toilet-fishing-apparently-banned-sochi-olympics

USA USA USA

Most Americans don't realize what a wacky sense of humor Russians have.
You saw some of it in the last video link I posted. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 21:08:22 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 2/4/2014 4:31 PM, Oren wrote:
"A sign posted in the restroom of a Sochi Olympic venue went viral
over the weekend after Canadian snowboarder Sebastien Toutant
tweeted it. (@SebToots/Twitter"

Sign:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/toilet-fishing-apparently-banned-sochi-olympics

USA USA USA

Most Americans don't realize what a wacky sense of humor Russians have.
You saw some of it in the last video link I posted. ^_^

TDD

Heck, I just found out from Robert Green's post that construction
sites in DC have handicap parking. Never in my life would I have
known this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/4/2014 4:31 PM, Oren wrote:
"A sign posted in the restroom of a Sochi Olympic venue went
viral over the weekend after Canadian snowboarder Sebastien
Toutant tweeted it. (@SebToots/Twitter"

Sign:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/toilet-fishing-apparently-banned-sochi-olympics

USA USA USA

Most Americans don't realize what a wacky sense of humor Russians
have. You saw some of it in the last video link I posted. ^_^

TDD

Heck, I just found out from Robert Green's post that construction
sites in DC have handicap parking. Never in my life would I have
known this.

I laughed my ass off when I saw handicap parking signs in front of a
ladder store. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most Americans don't realize what a wacky sense of humor Russians
have. You saw some of it in the last video link I posted. ^_^

TDD

Heck, I just found out from Robert Green's post that construction
sites in DC have handicap parking. Never in my life would I have
known this.

I laughed my ass off when I saw handicap parking signs in front of a
ladder store. o_O

TDD

I belonged to an organization that had a lavatory that was fully
wheelchair equipped. It was on the second floor and the only way to get
there was the stairway.

When I asked the president what was going on, he said the handicapped
lavatory was required by code...but there was no code apparently that
required one could get to it.

I have no other details but the building was OKed by the inspector.

BTW: There are braille markings on the drive up ATM machine I use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heck, I just found out from Robert Green's post that construction
sites in DC have handicap parking. Never in my life would I have
known this.

I laughed my ass off when I saw handicap parking signs in front of a
ladder store. o_O

TDD

I've heard that in national forest outhouses, they
have to be ADA compatibe. So, you go up five miles
of rugged trail with no way to get a wheel chair up,
and then the outhouse has handicap grip rails and
such.

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Heck, I just found out from Robert Green's post that construction
sites in DC have handicap parking. Never in my life would I have
known this.

I laughed my ass off when I saw handicap parking signs in front of a
ladder store. o_O

TDD

I've heard that in national forest outhouses, they
have to be ADA compatibe. So, you go up five miles
of rugged trail with no way to get a wheel chair up,
and then the outhouse has handicap grip rails and
such.

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2014 06:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?

It's just a joke, I am sure everyone here knows why.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 06:46:24 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 02/05/2014 06:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?

It's just a joke, I am sure everyone here knows why.

For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a taxi
drive them to ATMs. They want to operate the machine themselves
because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't want others
to know their PINs and account information. So, they use a back
window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:09:24 -0500, Pat wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 06:46:24 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 02/05/2014 06:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?

It's just a joke, I am sure everyone here knows why.

For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a taxi
drive them to ATMs. They want to operate the machine themselves
because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't want others
to know their PINs and account information. So, they use a back
window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to it.

Interesting, and all this time I took it as proof positive that many of the
drivers on the road really are as blind as clams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:09:24 -0500, Pat wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 06:46:24 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 02/05/2014 06:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?

It's just a joke, I am sure everyone here knows why.

For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a taxi
drive them to ATMs.

Or they walk to the bank. With or without a guide dog.

They want to operate the machine themselves
because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't want others
to know their PINs and account information.

I gave my PIN to my dog, so he could use the machine for me, but I lived
to regret it. He kept taking out extra money for dog biscuits.

So, they use a back
window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/14 10:09 am, Pat wrote:

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?

It's just a joke, I am sure everyone here knows why.

For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a taxi
drive them to ATMs. They want to operate the machine themselves
because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't want others
to know their PINs and account information. So, they use a back
window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to it.

Or people may have good enough distance vision to drive but have
terrible close-up vision. I know a man who drives himself to church but
cannot read the hymnal or worship bulletin.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Pat wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 06:46:24 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 02/05/2014 06:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?

It's just a joke, I am sure everyone here knows why.

For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a taxi
drive them to ATMs. They want to operate the machine themselves
because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't want others
to know their PINs and account information. So, they use a back
window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to it.

Plus, the same equipment is used for walk-up ATMs. There's one
in the vestibule of a branch of Bank of America here in
Ann Arbor. I imagine more urban settings have more walk-up
ATMS.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 02/05/2014 06:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?

It's just a joke, I am sure everyone here knows why.

Everyone? You have obviously assigned a higher level of intelligence to
some members of this ng than I have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default blind ATM operators

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a taxi
drive them to ATMs. They want to operate the machine themselves
because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't want others
to know their PINs and account information. So, they use a back
window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to it.

I've helped my friend Jason (who is blind)
at the ATM. Much of the information comes
on the TV screen behind the glass, and would
not be available to a blind person. A blind
person with no seeing eye human could not
operate ATM, at least not the ones he uses.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:31:58 PM UTC-8, Oren wrote:
"A sign posted in the restroom of a Sochi Olympic venue went viral

over the weekend after Canadian snowboarder Sebastien Toutant tweeted

it. (@SebToots/Twitter"

Sign:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/toilet-fishing-apparently-banned-sochi-olympics

The site said they couldn't explain the stick figure on the bottom right.

Simple: He was humping the toilet.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"
For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a taxi
drive them to ATMs. They want to operate the machine themselves
because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't want others
to know their PINs and account information. So, they use a back
window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to it.

I've helped my friend Jason (who is blind)
at the ATM. Much of the information comes
on the TV screen behind the glass, and would
not be available to a blind person. A blind
person with no seeing eye human could not
operate ATM, at least not the ones he uses.

I see them with some kind of headphone jack for
audible instructions. I'm surprised that's not
required by the ADA.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2014 11:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"
For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a taxi
drive them to ATMs. They want to operate the machine themselves
because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't want others
to know their PINs and account information. So, they use a back
window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to it.

I've helped my friend Jason (who is blind)
at the ATM. Much of the information comes
on the TV screen behind the glass, and would
not be available to a blind person. A blind
person with no seeing eye human could not
operate ATM, at least not the ones he uses.

The one by my house has an earphone jack...
there may be more options if one uses it.

I don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In article ,
Pat wrote:
[...]

Yes, walk up ATM's in bank lobbies are very common in "urban settings".
Small cities as well as large.

I used to work in a Chase Manhattan branch in NYC back in the mid-70's. We
had one of the early ATM machines, back when they were _only_ in the
lobbies of the banks, only open when the branch was open, and only worked
with brand new bills.

Back then, at least in our branch, deposits were much more common than
withdrawals. We were a commercial branch in an area with a lot of mom and
pop businesses - dry cleaners, deli's, barber shops, corner pharmacies,
etc.

We would empty the ATM deposit drawer every couple of hours and either
dedicate a teller or two to process the deposits, or on really busy days,
divide the envelopes between tellers and have them process them while
waiting on live customers. The idea was to do at least one envelope in
between each live customer but to always have a live customer at your
window so the people on line didn't think the tellers were sitting at their
windows and not waiting on customers. It's human nature to think that if a
teller is at their window but not waiting on a customer, they are not doing
anything important.

Our branch was so busy that the S line used to wind back and forth numerous
times, sometimes reaching out of the door. When we would "close" at 3:00 it
would sometimes take 30 - 45 minutes to clear the line. Someone would stand
at the door and let customers out one by one, very often upsetting the
person who wanted to be let in, even a 1/2 hour past closing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

If you read some of the write ups on why there are Braille markings on the
ATM's, you find that the ADA rules are very vague regarding everything
except the requirement that the Braille markings be present.

The theory was that if the Braille and some loose "handicap accessible"
requirements were put into place, the banking/ATM industry would figure
everything else out - eventually. At the time the initial requirements were
put into place, no one was really sure how to handle all of the various
aspects of accessibility, so they didn't address it very firmly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2014 10:27 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
philo wrote:
On 02/05/2014 06:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?

It's just a joke, I am sure everyone here knows why.

Everyone? You have obviously assigned a higher level of intelligence to
some members of this ng than I have.

There are a few here whose posts I no longer see.

This happened a long time ago, but I know someone from a very small town
and when he returned home and told the people about ATM's they did not
believe him.

I am sure they have ATM's just about everywhere now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:31:58 -0800, Oren wrote:

"A sign posted in the restroom of a Sochi Olympic venue went viral
over the weekend after Canadian snowboarder Sebastien Toutant tweeted
it. (@SebToots/Twitter"

Sign:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/toilet-fishing-apparently-banned-sochi-olympics

Toilets are probably built on frozen-over lakes. Imagine how
long the queue will get while a fishing fanatic tries to hook his
first Russian trout.
I didn't understand the one that says you can't **** standing
up. Maybe the sign is for a ladies WC ? In which case, Russian women
wear trousers.... hum ... no wonder Putin hates gays, he's probably
picked up many a lad thinking they were lasses.
PS the last one is a rather crude "no drug use". It's supposed
to depict someone with a syringe. Bloody awful artwork.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2014 6:17 AM, philo wrote:

[...]

Darn! It's been more than 40 years since college and I remember my pal
who was in a wheelchair because he'd been born with spina bifida and
whenever any of us no count useless Hippies saw him at the bottom of the
stairs, any fellow strong enough would stop call to another useless
Hippie freak, pick my friend and his wheelchair up then carry him up the
stairs. I carried him up to the second floor a lot of times. The thing
is, nobody had to order us to help my pal or pass a law. We just did it
and my friend was never late for class. ^_^

The reason drive up ATM machines have braille markings on them is so
that baseball umpires can use the ATM. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2014 9:09 AM, Pat wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 06:46:24 -0600, philo
wrote:

On 02/05/2014 06:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: X

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about "why
does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

Do you really not know why?

It's just a joke, I am sure everyone here knows why.

For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a
taxi drive them to ATMs. They want to operate the machine
themselves because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't
want others to know their PINs and account information. So, they use
a back window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to
it.

Actually, it's because the panels and keypads are standardized for the
drive up and free standing ATM machines. It prevents duplication and
having to stock two different control panels in a service vehicle. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo*:
This happened a long time ago, but I know someone from a very small town and when he returned home and told the people about ATM's they did not believe him.

When I was in high school, there was this really evil crew of petty
thieves.

Eventually most of them wound up in prison.

Some years back - after way more than 20 years in the can - the
ringleader managed to escape from prison.

He got caught because, after he had stolen a car and run low on gas, he
could not figure out how the gas pumps worked.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 20:20:52 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/ATMs_In_A_Van.jpg

They are used at events such as neighborhood arts and crafts fairs, art
festivals, three-on-three basketball tournaments, flea markets, church
carnivals, etc. Any place where there will be vendors with booths lining
neighborhood streets or set up in a field or parking lot.

I've not yet seen a portable ATM thus far.

I have a trailer like this one. Maybe I'll install an ATM with a sign that
says "Deposits only. All Banks Accepted"

http://www.rccenterprisesinc.com/ima...ileInside1.png

That should go over real well. g

My local corner store has an ATM that is not owned/operated by banks.
Perhaps an independent vendor. Cash withdrawals have a fee of $2.75
for the transaction. Then the bank will also charge a fee for an out
of network transaction. Double whammy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2014 01:50 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo :
This happened a long time ago, but I know someone from a very small town and when he returned home and told the people about ATM's they did not believe him.

When I was in high school, there was this really evil crew of petty
thieves.

Eventually most of them wound up in prison.

Some years back - after way more than 20 years in the can - the
ringleader managed to escape from prison.

He got caught because, after he had stolen a car and run low on gas, he
could not figure out how the gas pumps worked.

He was probably just sitting there waiting for an attendant to come out.

But more than 20 years for petty theft? sheesh he should have been a
murderer instead, they only get five years it seems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo*:
But more than 20 years for petty theft? sheesh he should have been a
murderer instead, they only get five years it seems.

I'm pretty sure they hung a number of murders on him. Early in the
game when he knew law enforcement was closing in, he killed some of the
kids working for him to prevent witnesses.

I'm pretty sure the guy's name was Bruce Johnston and that the movie "At
Close Range" was based on the gang's history. Sean Penn played his son.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Johnston_(criminal)

According to the Wikipedia article, I had it wrong and it was Bruce's
brother Norman that escaped in 1999.

Also, the Wiki article does not say anything about the gas pump incident
- but I did read that part in one of the local papers.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2014 04:32 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo :
But more than 20 years for petty theft? sheesh he should have been a
murderer instead, they only get five years it seems.

I'm pretty sure they hung a number of murders on him. Early in the
game when he knew law enforcement was closing in, he killed some of the
kids working for him to prevent witnesses.

I'm pretty sure the guy's name was Bruce Johnston and that the movie "At
Close Range" was based on the gang's history. Sean Penn played his son.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Johnston_(criminal)

According to the Wikipedia article, I had it wrong and it was Bruce's
brother Norman that escaped in 1999.

Also, the Wiki article does not say anything about the gas pump incident
- but I did read that part in one of the local papers.

Glad he got more than 20 years for murder and glad his escape did not
last long.

I guess since this is a "toilet fishing" thread I might as well tell you
one I heard from a friend of mine that happened a long long time ago:

On a dare, this guy stole a canoe from a sporting goods store.

He just picked it up, put it over his head and walked out with it.
A salesman even held the door.

Here is how he got caught:

He came back the next day for the paddles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Darn! It's been more than 40 years since college and I remember my pal
who was in a wheelchair because he'd been born with spina bifida and
whenever any of us no count useless Hippies saw him at the bottom of the
stairs, any fellow strong enough would stop call to another useless
Hippie freak, pick my friend and his wheelchair up then carry him up the
stairs. I carried him up to the second floor a lot of times. The thing
is, nobody had to order us to help my pal or pass a law. We just did it
and my friend was never late for class. ^_^

That brought back an old memory I had all but forgotten. My first GF in
college had a brother with M.D. and we were always carting him up and
down the stairs. I don't think he lived too long.

The reason drive up ATM machines have braille markings on them is so
that baseball umpires can use the ATM. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2014 6:06 PM, philo wrote:

That brought back an old memory I had all but forgotten. My first GF in
college had a brother with M.D. and we were always carting him up and
down the stairs. I don't think he lived too long.

Sorry to hear about the brother
with a Medical Doctor. Was he
general practice, or specialist?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2014 05:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/5/2014 6:06 PM, philo wrote:

That brought back an old memory I had all but forgotten. My first GF in
college had a brother with M.D. and we were always carting him up and
down the stairs. I don't think he lived too long.

Sorry to hear about the brother
with a Medical Doctor. Was he
general practice, or specialist?

I know you are joking but to those who don't know what I'm talking about:

Muscular Dystrophy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/ATMs_In_A_Van.jpg

They are used at events such as neighborhood arts and crafts fairs, art
festivals, three-on-three basketball tournaments, flea markets, church
carnivals, etc. Any place where there will be vendors with booths lining
neighborhood streets or set up in a field or parking lot.

I've not yet seen a portable ATM thus far.

I have a trailer like this one. Maybe I'll install an ATM with a sign that
says "Deposits only. All Banks Accepted"

http://www.rccenterprisesinc.com/ima...ileInside1.png

That should go over real well. g

My local corner store has an ATM that is not owned/operated by banks.
Perhaps an independent vendor. Cash withdrawals have a fee of $2.75
for the transaction. Then the bank will also charge a fee for an out
of network transaction. Double whammy.

Unless your bank is like mine (a reputable primarily online bank). Not
only does the bank not charge for the first 10 (I think; only hit it
once) ATM transactions, but they reimburse ATM surcharges --
automatically at the end of the month. I used a surcharging ATM in a
foreign country, and sure enough at the end of the month the odd US$
amount was reimbursed. I checked the exchange rate also; by far the
cheapest way to get the foreign currency or cash at the local
convenience store.

Josh