Posted to alt.home.repair

Default blind ATM operators

You'd likely heard about the old late night joke about
"why does a drive up ATM have braille on the buttons?"

For those who don't know why, the blind often have relatives or a taxi
drive them to ATMs. They want to operate the machine themselves
because, like everyone else, they want privacy and don't want others
to know their PINs and account information. So, they use a back
window to access the ATM or get out of the car and walk up to it.

I've helped my friend Jason (who is blind)
at the ATM. Much of the information comes
on the TV screen behind the glass, and would
not be available to a blind person. A blind
person with no seeing eye human could not
operate ATM, at least not the ones he uses.

--
..
Christopher A. Young