Posted to alt.home.repair

Default KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 12/19/2013 8:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/19/2013 9:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Do we mandate smoke detectors?

Oh, I see that Michigan does, as of 2007. Every "building,
structure, and residential dwelling" must have them.

Well, I'll get right on installing one in my shed. Not that I
could hear it from inside the house.

Cindy Hamilton

I think that would also include the doghouse.

Real story. A friend of mine had a knock at his door, it was the
police. He lives in a crime section of a city, and the cop was there
to tell him that code enforcement required insulation in his dog's
doghouse.

Time might have been better spend casing drug dealers, and gun
runners.

How did the cop know that there was no insulation in the dog house? o_O

TDD

Was the dog house heated with natural gas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/18/2013 10:54 PM, Gustavus wrote:
If we lower the highway speed limits nationwide by 20 MPH, we'll save
lives.

And if we lower the speed limits another 20 MPH, we'll save even more
lives.

Heck, let's lower all speed limits to 15 MPH so virtually no one is ever
injured in a car.

Think of the children, aren't their precious little lives worth it?

All persons, including adults, need to wear helmets,
protective padding, and be in rear facing car seats
while going 15 MPH.

For the sake of clarity the driver should be explicitly included in that list.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 5:51 PM, Larry W wrote:
I think that would also include the doghouse.

Real story. A friend of mine had a knock at his door, it was the
police. He lives in a crime section of a city, and the cop was there
to tell him that code enforcement required insulation in his dog's
doghouse.

Time might have been better spend casing drug dealers, and gun
runners.

How did the cop know that there was no insulation in the dog house? o_O

TDD

Was the dog house heated with natural gas?

Ed and the cop did joke about that concept. I guess
it would had to explode 4,000 times a year to qualify.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 11:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Did you read it Looks like four years to me, plus you math is wrong.
U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated annual average of 2,110
home* structure fires in which natural gas was the type of material first
ignited and 1,170 in which material ignited was LP-Gas in 2003-2007.

Note the words "average annual".

It's poorly written, but it looks like they mean that over the period from
2003-2007 the _average annual_ number of fires was 2110 + 1170.

But 2110 + 1170 = 3280, not 4000 that it was rounded to for dramatic
effect. Nor does it come close to electrical fires (see link in my
other post)

Home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year,
nearly than 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in
property damage. - See more at:
http://esfi.org/index.cfm/page/Home-....aWCgX261.dpuf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 10:13 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 21:00:06 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

All throughout the northeast, northwest and various other areas. There
are many thousands who heat exclusively with wood.

Not exactly true and a supposition on your part. Burning wood is
illegal in my town; unless your home was grand fathered in when the
ordnance was passed.

We use "gas", which is "safe"!

I think he is wrong too, but in the other direction.

The number of U.S. households heating with wood rose 34% nationwide from
1.8 million in 2000 to 2.4 million in 2010 — faster than any other
heating fuel, according to Census data.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ion/51160192/1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

But 2110 + 1170 = 3280, not 4000 that it was rounded to for dramatic
effect.

Even more to the point, that's 3280 *fires*. Pete falsely claims 4000+ *explosions*.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 04:04:49 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 20:37:38 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Larry W wrote:

In article ,
Pete C. wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

On 12/17/2013 11:24 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Have you looked at the actual stats? I believe NFPA has some good ones
showing 4,000+ residential gas explosions per year.

I'd sure like to see a URL. I did a search, including NFPA
web site, and can't find that stat.

You can't find something that isn't there....

Try again:

http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/re...sfactsheet.pdf

That NFPA site says the annual average for deaths due to combined natural
and LP gas accidents is 77, with an additional 287 injuries.
Contrast that with the Electrical Safety Foundation (just happened to
be the first credible site returned in a quick google search) which states
that home electrical distribution and lighting system fires are the
4th leading cause of home fires, causing about 50,900 each year,
averaging 490 deaths and 1,440 injuries.

http://www.esfi.org/index.cfm/page/F...tics/pid/12014

So maybe we really should ban electricity from homes since it is so
much more dangerous than gas...

Or perhaps we do something intelligent like mandate gas detectors just
like we mandate smoke detectors? It's pretty sad that gas detectors have
been standard in the RV industry for years while they still aren't
required for residences using explosive fuels.

Perhaps because there have been so damned few problems it's not
economically justified. Idiot.

And there it is folks...krw's version of the hat trick.

And there you have it. The idiot DerbyDad shows what a moron he is by
defending another moron. The lefty morons do flock together.

He finally got all three of his favorite words into the thread: liar, lefty
and idiot.

Only because it's true. I can't help it if you don't like others to
be called what they are. He is a lefty, liar, and an idiot. You two
share a lot of attributes.

It was only a matter of time.

...until someone pointed out the facts of the case, sure.

Idiot. Find a post where I defended him. All I ever did was point the
errors that some folks posted. A few missed the words "annual average" and
claimed the stat was over a five year period. The stat was annual average
number over that period. Pointing out errors in other posts does not equate
to defending anyone. Of course, an idiot like you would have trouble with
that concept.

I also pointed out that Doug claimed leaks were never mentioned when they
clearly were. He, unlike you, graciously admitted his error. You could
learn a thing or two or three or four from him. Of course, idiots like you
have trouble learning things, which may explain some of your habits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

3,280 my recollection was close enough since the last time I looked it
up was in 2010.

Even giving you the rather substantial "rounding error", there is still
the thing about five years instead of only one. That in any situation
qualifies as pulling a stat out of your ass.

Read it again. It says "annual average".

They were giving an "annual average" over the period 2003-2007.

I wonder why so many people missed that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

All throughout the northeast, northwest and various other areas. There
are many thousands who heat exclusively with wood.

Not exactly true and a supposition on your part. Burning wood is
illegal in my town; unless your home was grand fathered in when the
ordnance was passed.

We use "gas", which is "safe"!

I think he is wrong too, but in the other direction.

The number of U.S. households heating with wood rose 34% nationwide from
1.8 million in 2000 to 2.4 million in 2010 — faster than any other
heating fuel, according to Census data.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ion/51160192/1

That increase could be partially attributed to, and this is
speculation, the way our economy has continued to tank under the
feigned leadership of our tyrant-in-chief.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 03:15:31 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 04:04:49 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 20:37:38 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Larry W wrote:

In article ,
Pete C. wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

[...]

You still are.

I also pointed out that Doug claimed leaks were never mentioned when they
clearly were. He, unlike you, graciously admitted his error. You could
learn a thing or two or three or four from him. Of course, idiots like you
have trouble learning things, which may explain some of your habits.

You're a liar, too. No surprise, you're a lefty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 05:51 PM, Larry W wrote:
Was the dog house heated with natural gas?

No, it was 2-phase electric heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 03:15:31 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

....snip...

[...]

Now that was one powerful comeback. Is that the best you've got?

Not only an idiot but getting soft too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 4:51 PM, Larry W wrote:

Was the dog house heated with natural gas?

No, methane...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 6:46 AM, Mike Hunt-Hertz wrote:
On 12/18/2013 11:11 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

That is not good enough. Cars must be banned. Heck, everything from
fire onward should be banned. It all is a hazard and is not eco-
friendly. Even stone implements! Clubs! Beer! Boobs! Fornication!

+1

If it's for the children, sign me up.

Is no more new children for the children?

Hmm, is banning children for the children?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 11:01 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:
On 12/19/2013 4:51 PM, Larry W wrote:

Was the dog house heated with natural gas?

No, methane...

Dog farts? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:51:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The number of U.S. households heating with wood rose 34% nationwide from
1.8 million in 2000 to 2.4 million in 2010 — faster than any other
heating fuel, according to Census data.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ion/51160192/1

Curious, how is this "Census data" collected?

I can't recall a Census asking how I heat my house
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2013 3:32 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:51:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The number of U.S. households heating with wood rose 34% nationwide from
1.8 million in 2000 to 2.4 million in 2010 — faster than any other
heating fuel, according to Census data.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ion/51160192/1

Curious, how is this "Census data" collected?

I can't recall a Census asking how I heat my house

They show up and ask questions.

"Are you feeling randy today?"

"Why you askin'?"

"Yer pecker be sportin past the robe, if ya know what I mean."

"No, I donna know what ya mean, but if ya could grasp a hold of
what ya thinkin' 'bout, maybe I could git a gleem inta wat ya
talkin' 'bout."

Best sex ever...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 04:42:01 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 03:15:31 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

...snip...

[...]

Facts are all that's needed.

Not only an idiot but getting soft too.

You certainly are. All leftists are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:02:51 -0600, Irreverent Maximus
wrote:

On 12/19/2013 6:46 AM, Mike Hunt-Hertz wrote:
On 12/18/2013 11:11 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

That is not good enough. Cars must be banned. Heck, everything from
fire onward should be banned. It all is a hazard and is not eco-
friendly. Even stone implements! Clubs! Beer! Boobs! Fornication!

+1

If it's for the children, sign me up.

Is no more new children for the children?

Hmm, is banning children for the children?

It's the only way you're going to keep bad things from happening to
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home Experiences

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 12/17/2013 7:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
At 2:30am the house shook like it would from a sonic boom and it turned
out to be a gas explosion in a neighborhood within a mile from me. It

.. I called a
morning radio talk show and told them about how the house shook at
2:30am leading me to believe it was a sonic boom from a jet and it was a
BOOM! alright. O_o

TDD

I'm sure they were thrilled... During my
firefighting days I loved to see the water blown
out of the clay in the blow-holes.

One can really get an appreciation of the Btu's of
heat when one lights off!

Gas detection/level meters are more accurate and
dependable than ever.

Natural gas rises which tends to dissipate it.
Propane sinks so you have to flow water to
dissipate it. Sometimes the relief valves freeze
open because expanding gases cool. More fun. The
local utility is charging a fantastic amount to
run pipelines so most developers are switching to
u underground propane tanks. Okay until the
landscapers run over the dome with their
Bobcats... More fun.

If the fire truck stalls when going to a gas leak
do NOT attempt to restart it.

Sonic boom HAH

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2013 8:50 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Nobody should badmouth paramedics and firemen around me because the guys
and gals from two departments saved my life twice this year. The
critic may wind up needing a paramedic. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I was not being critical - because I was one.
Unless you didn't mean me?

The only calls that really bothered me was the
DUI's taking out innocent people. But one doesn't
think of that while doing their job; it hits you
later...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tekkie® wrote:

The only calls that really bothered me was the
DUI's taking out innocent people. But one doesn't
think of that while doing their job; it hits you
later...

That and the battered children....
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 5:46 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

There was a horrible story in the news where a fireman discovered the
body of a victim and it was his own daughter. I felt so bad for the guy.
That's the sort of thing that Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat
Freaks make fun of. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Then there's the incident up near Rochester, NY where a guy shot his sister
in his house, then set the house on fire and ambushed the first responders.
Kill a couple of fireman and a policeman before he eventually killed
himself - which he should have just done in the first place.

6 houses burned while the police were engaged in a shoot-out and evacuating
the neighborhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_We..._York_shooting
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 5:46 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...
Nobody should badmouth paramedics and firemen around me because the guys
and gals from two departments saved my life twice this year. The
critic may wind up needing a paramedic. ^_^

TDD

I was not being critical - because I was one.
Unless you didn't mean me?

The only calls that really bothered me was the
DUI's taking out innocent people. But one doesn't
think of that while doing their job; it hits you
later...

There was a horrible story in the news where a fireman discovered the
body of a victim and it was his own daughter. I felt so bad for the guy.
That's the sort of thing that Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat
Freaks make fun of. o_O

TDD

Enough to make a man take up drinking.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

What worked out, with that, TDD? Did the news
guys ever let you know what happened?

3:26 AM and I've been up for half hour. Sigh.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 2:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
What worked out, with that, TDD? Did the news
guys ever let you know what happened?

3:26 AM and I've been up for half hour. Sigh.

I just caught it in the news somewhere, I believe it was radio. The news
reporter was reading the different "What's Happening" from around the
country and that was one of those that makes you heartsick. o_O

TDD