Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Battery Warranties

On 8/6/2013 9:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I can't remember the spec, but alkaline D cell is rated at something
like ... uh, go look. Says at 500 mA draw, about 10,000 mA output. Much
more than the Eneloop AA. But, not surprising, as the AA cells are much
smaller.

Right, exactly.

That said, having a couple 2xAA to D adapters laying around is still not
that bad an idea for emergencies as it seems that AA cells are the most
common type, so if/when you run out of D's you can scrounge cells out of
remotes, small flashlights, cordless phones, etc. and use your
D-cell-powered device for a little while at least.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2013 7:15 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's also wise to have two set of batteries. I'm remembering the one
time I was helping with a haloween show. I was on the third floor of a
rather tall building, and rather ancient. My walkie talkie batteries
went dead, and the nearest replacements were in the work van. That was a
heck of a lot of stairs up and down.

The battery makers say storage in the refrigerator is good, freezer is
not advised. I've been considering getting some storage bins, and put my
battery storage in my refrigerator.

I had a little dorm room fridge I once used for batteries but the guy I
worked kept putting beer in it. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, some guys don't have their priorities in the right order. Batteries
are far more important.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

The battery makers say storage in the refrigerator is good, freezer is
not advised. I've been considering getting some storage bins, and put my
battery storage in my refrigerator.

I had a little dorm room fridge I once used for batteries but the guy I
worked kept putting beer in it. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Versatile, is good. I've found that during power cuts, storms, etc, the
battery needs change quite a bit. Call ID box is less important, and
pocket mini mag much more so.

The electrical section of Walmart has "closet lights" fluorescent and
battery power. About ten bucks. I bought one that runs on four D cells,
and screws to the wall. It sits over my light switch in my bedroom, for
the moments when the power is out. Weight and size, less of an issue.
But, longer run time and good light output is nice.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/6/2013 9:57 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Right, exactly.

That said, having a couple 2xAA to D adapters laying around is still not
that bad an idea for emergencies as it seems that AA cells are the most
common type, so if/when you run out of D's you can scrounge cells out of
remotes, small flashlights, cordless phones, etc. and use your
D-cell-powered device for a little while at least.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 08:20:16 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There are size adaptors, so you can run AA cells in C or D battery
devices,

I've tried exactly that, a set of D shells that hold AA cells. It
works but the run time is remarkably less. That figures since an AA is
something like 2 Ahr while an alkaline D cell is ten times that or
more.

The second consideration is that anything old enough to be designed
for D cells very likely counts on the higher per cell voltage of
alkalines. Some of the things I've tried it in, the low battery
indicator comes on with fully charged cells, just inserted.

so the eneloops may be the way to go. I've got some NiMH
"precharged" that seem to do a good job.

I'm very impressed with enloops and I've been systematically retiring
my cells that are approaching end of life and buying only Enloops.

That's a brand name, Sanyo. At least on other company is now marketing
something they claim is the same. Haven't tired them personally.

Enloops ARE NiMH, just a better version. The precharged is sort of a
marketing gimmick and only possible because they loose so little
charge in storage.

Sanyo likes to sell you thier charger, but their website admits any
NiMH charger is just fine.

Time to give some thought, what needs batteries, and what I use.

You have already run that thread a dozen times in a.s.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 8/6/2013 3:57 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 08:20:16 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There are size adaptors, so you can run AA cells in C or D battery
devices,

I've tried exactly that, a set of D shells that hold AA cells. It
works but the run time is remarkably less. That figures since an AA is
something like 2 Ahr while an alkaline D cell is ten times that or
more.

About five, but yes, valid point.

It ought to be possible to put 4x AAs in place of a D cell but there
don't seem to be any commercially available adapters to do this, and
I've had other things to do than to try to make my own (although,
really, it should be fairly easy with some pieces of hardwood dowel, a
drill press, some sheet brass, random bits of hardware, and a little
ingenuity.)

I've even heard that only conductive spacers are needed to make this
work in a Mag-Lite, but haven't tried it other than to confirm that yes,
the cells will fit in the tube.

The second consideration is that anything old enough to be designed
for D cells very likely counts on the higher per cell voltage of
alkalines. Some of the things I've tried it in, the low battery
indicator comes on with fully charged cells, just inserted.

Always a risk... funny thing is the only thing that ever happened to me
on was a Nikon digital camera, which theoretically was able to use NiMH
batteries. (theory and practice sometimes differ, obviously.)

so the eneloops may be the way to go. I've got some NiMH
"precharged" that seem to do a good job.

I'm very impressed with enloops and I've been systematically retiring
my cells that are approaching end of life and buying only Enloops.

That's a brand name, Sanyo. At least on other company is now marketing
something they claim is the same. Haven't tired them personally.

Enloops ARE NiMH, just a better version. The precharged is sort of a
marketing gimmick and only possible because they loose so little
charge in storage.

I don't think that low self discharge is a gimmick at all, it makes
rechargeables practical for lots of uses for which they previously
weren't, namely rarely-used flashlights, remote controls, and
rarely-used tools, which make up the vast majority of battery powered
devices in my house.

Sanyo likes to sell you thier charger, but their website admits any
NiMH charger is just fine.

The best are supposedly the Maha C9000 or the LaCrosse BC-whatever the
latest version is. I have the C9000 and am happy with it. Much more so
than the old Energizer brand charger that I bought packaged with some
NiMHs in a store ages ago which turned me off of rechargeables for a
good few years.

As always, rechargeable batteries and the associated chargers vary in
quality and the current "top of the heap" seems to change regularly,
with the exception of Eneloops which always seem to be at or near the
top of the ratings. So when reading reviews of a product be cognizant
of the date. I can think of at least one NiMH battery brand (but can't
remember what it is now though) that was highly regarded a few years
ago, apparently underwent a revision, and the new version was
emphatically not recommended. Other than personal experience, I check
out candlepowerforums every now and then whenever I need something
battery or charger related.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 16:13:22 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 8/6/2013 3:57 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

I've tried exactly that, a set of D shells that hold AA cells. It
works but the run time is remarkably less. That figures since an AA is
something like 2 Ahr while an alkaline D cell is ten times that or
more.

About five, but yes, valid point.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of 10 Ahr and wrote 10X.

It ought to be possible to put 4x AAs in place of a D cell but there
don't seem to be any commercially available adapters to do this, and
I've had other things to do than to try to make my own (although,
really, it should be fairly easy with some pieces of hardwood dowel, a
drill press, some sheet brass, random bits of hardware, and a little
ingenuity.)

I thought of this too. Even went though the exercise of drawing the
geometry to confirm. I too looked and found nothing commercially. The
only thing I can think of against it is whether the parallel cells
will share.

I've even heard that only conductive spacers are needed to make this
work in a Mag-Lite, but haven't tried it other than to confirm that yes,
the cells will fit in the tube.

With some sort of insulation around the outside to keep it from
touching the metal case. Granted the case is anodized and some
anodizing is an insulator but movement and vibration could wear though
that.

The precharged is sort of a
marketing gimmick and only possible because they loose so little
charge in storage.

I don't think that low self discharge is a gimmick at all, it makes
rechargeables practical for lots of uses for which they previously
weren't, namely rarely-used flashlights, remote controls, and
rarely-used tools, which make up the vast majority of battery powered
devices in my house.

The low self discharge is very real. I've many of them and they live
up to their claim. What I said was being pre-charged is nice but
mostly a gimmick since it only saves you one charging out of hundreds
in its lifetime.

I can think of at least one NiMH battery brand (but can't
remember what it is now though) that was highly regarded a few years
ago, apparently underwent a revision, and the new version was
emphatically not recommended.

I've seen lots of products go from top to bottom and sometimes back to
top. I know from my work in production, problems come and go. An
undocumented change at a component/material vendor, a process change
made by people that thought they were helping but didn't understand a
complex process, etc. I also suppose management vacillates between
cashing in on reputation vs improvement when they find their sales in
the dumper.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 8/6/2013 4:46 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
[...]

If you're using Eneloops, and only use cells from one package, they seem
to be "tight" enough that this shouldn't be a problem, although that's a
good thing to think about.

Apparently, in Japan, they sell Eneloop branded C and D cells and
instead of them being purpose built single cells, they are smaller cells
ganged together, which is in essence exactly what we're talking about
doing here.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Cells-Exposed

So even Sanyo (well, Panasonic now) is confident enough in the
uniformity of their cells that they feel comfortable doing this.

The drawback, of course, is that a "D cell" Eneloop is only 6000 mAh,
using only three cells. I suspect that four is technically outside the
size spec for a D cell but will probably work in most devices. Haven't
bothered to look up the pertinent specs for both to verify. Three is
easily doable, but there doesn't seem to even be a good 3xAA to D cell
adapter readily available. This guy:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/titan...r-adapter.html

will work, but is awful expensive and according to the guys over on
candlepowerforums doesn't have enough metal in it for high current apps.
Of course, these are the same guys that think something like the
DEFT-X is awesome. (google for it) Well, it is, but they're actually
*buying* them. So their idea of "high current" might mean "ludicrous
current" to you and me. I don't know, I haven't purchased those
adapters, as I look at them and think to myself "I can make that." (of
course, because I am physically capable of doing something doesn't
necessarily mean that when it comes to making a choice between making
cell adapters and pouring myself a nice bourbon and sitting on my arse,
I choose to make cell adapters.)

I've even heard that only conductive spacers are needed to make this
work in a Mag-Lite, but haven't tried it other than to confirm that yes,
the cells will fit in the tube.

With some sort of insulation around the outside to keep it from
touching the metal case. Granted the case is anodized and some
anodizing is an insulator but movement and vibration could wear though
that.

Right, but then again it's been a habit of mine for ages to put a piece
of cardboard from a cereal box or whatever in the body of every
flashlight I have to keep the cells from rattling, so that is an easy
inexpensive solution.

One ingenious thought that I heard was to do that, then pick a wood
dowel that would fit in the dead space between two cells, then use that
to line all the cells up. So if you did that then you would really only
need two spacers, and one of them could be e.g. a half dollar or
something like that. The positive end would be the only one where you'd
have to get creative.

Only D-cell mag I have is a four cell light though, so that's $40 worth
of Eneloops, or I'd probably need to gather up every single one around
the house to fill that light. I pretty much keep it out of nostalgia,
as the little single AA Fenix that is in my pocket right now is a better
flashlight, never mind the Surefire 6P with Malkoff drop-in or Fenix
TK41 that I also have. I do open it up every now and then to make sure
that the alkaleaks aren't doing what they do best... I'm trying to
think of another D-cell powered device that I have and can't think of one.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

I think it's a fun idea. However, by the time you finished such a
project, it's just easier to go buy 2 AA shells, and change the
batteries more often. Or go buy more D cells before the world ends.

I had a pack of 8 D cells, Duracell, best before 1999. I noticed a
couple leaked, so I finally opened the package. None were worth keeping.
I guess four were not leaking, one of those was dead. Two were weak.
one, seemed OK. But, I pitched em all. I guess they did the job, got me
through Y2K. Anyone remember Y2K?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/6/2013 4:13 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

It ought to be possible to put 4x AAs in place of a D cell but there
don't seem to be any commercially available adapters to do this, and
I've had other things to do than to try to make my own (although,
really, it should be fairly easy with some pieces of hardwood dowel, a
drill press, some sheet brass, random bits of hardware, and a little
ingenuity.)

I've even heard that only conductive spacers are needed to make this
work in a Mag-Lite, but haven't tried it other than to confirm that yes,
the cells will fit in the tube.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2013 10:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ah, some guys don't have their priorities in the right order. Batteries
are far more important.

I've never drunk a beer or had so much as a glass of wine in my life and
I had an arrogant, condescending, insulting doctor ask he how much I
drank. He assumed I drank alcohol because I was in the county hospital.
My roommate, that they killed, drank alcohol by the gallon, took illegal
drugs and couldn't get it through his addled brain that they were going
to test his blood and urine when he was in the hospital. He complained
that the doctors wouldn't prescribe any pain medication for him and I
couldn't get him to understand it was because any pain medication would
cause a very bad reaction when mixed with alcohol. Heck, it's a long
story and I get very angry when I retell it. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 8/6/2013 7:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I think it's a fun idea. However, by the time you finished such a
project, it's just easier to go buy 2 AA shells, and change the
batteries more often. Or go buy more D cells before the world ends.

I had a pack of 8 D cells, Duracell, best before 1999. I noticed a
couple leaked, so I finally opened the package. None were worth keeping.
I guess four were not leaking, one of those was dead. Two were weak.
one, seemed OK. But, I pitched em all. I guess they did the job, got me
through Y2K. Anyone remember Y2K?

Y'all 2 Kooky? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

I predicted about a week of random problems. I was a bit disappointed
when nothing seemed to go wrong. Someone told me Lowe's had a lot of
trouble with their computers. Planes falling out of the sky was absurd,
they don't need to subtract year dates to fly.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

one, seemed OK. But, I pitched em all. I guess they did the job, got me
through Y2K. Anyone remember Y2K?

Y'all 2 Kooky? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 8/7/2013 5:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I predicted about a week of random problems. I was a bit disappointed
when nothing seemed to go wrong. Someone told me Lowe's had a lot of
trouble with their computers. Planes falling out of the sky was absurd,
they don't need to subtract year dates to fly.

I had to replace the BIOS chips and add bios boards to correct the BIOS
in some older computers so 21'st century dates worked in the old boxes
but a lot of imbedded digital control systems couldn't be modified but
they never stopped working an to the great disappointment Y2K
doomsayers, none of the old digital equipment exploded at midnight. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 09:13:30 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I had to replace the BIOS chips and add bios boards to correct the BIOS
in some older computers so 21'st century dates worked in the old boxes
but a lot of imbedded digital control systems couldn't be modified but
they never stopped working an to the great disappointment Y2K
doomsayers, none of the old digital equipment exploded at midnight. ^_^

"None" is an overstatement. There wasn't much but there was some. We
spent a lot of time where I worked testing stuff and upgrading as
necessary. MS put out patches on DOS. It would have been a bit more of
a problem if the "alarmists" hadn't blackmailed the "nay sayers" into
taking the problem seriously before hand.

At the personal level, the promise of no computers anymore, I was
bitterly disappointed. ;}
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

I had to replace the BIOS chips and add bios boards to correct the BIOS
in some older computers so 21'st century dates worked in the old boxes
but a lot of imbedded digital control systems couldn't be modified but
they never stopped working an to the great disappointment Y2K
doomsayers, none of the old digital equipment exploded at midnight. ^_^

"None" is an overstatement. There wasn't much but there was some. We
spent a lot of time where I worked testing stuff and upgrading as
necessary. MS put out patches on DOS. It would have been a bit more of
a problem if the "alarmists" hadn't blackmailed the "nay sayers" into
taking the problem seriously before hand.

At the personal level, the promise of no computers anymore, I was
bitterly disappointed. ;}

Dang! I wanted lots of stuff exploding to add to the fireworks at
midnight. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Sew some wire mesh into your shirt, and then
loudly demand to be defibrillated?

I fashioned some 60/40 solder between masking tape,
and made a white image of "OUT TO LUNCH" in one of
my chest Xrays. Got the idea when a friend of my
Dad did the same thing with chewing gum wrappers.
Or, so I'm told.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Dang! I wanted lots of stuff exploding to add to the fireworks at
midnight. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Winston_Smith wrote:

"None" is an overstatement. There wasn't much but there was some. We
spent a lot of time where I worked testing stuff and upgrading as
necessary. MS put out patches on DOS. It would have been a bit more of
a problem if the "alarmists" hadn't blackmailed the "nay sayers" into
taking the problem seriously before hand.

We would have had a few cosmetic problems but nothing drastic. Probably the
greatest inconvenience was to our clients. Most were running AIX on RS6000
boxes that were too old to run the distro IBM patched.

The Unix time thing will have a lot more impact but I don't plan to be
coding when the industry gets around to panicking for that one. IPv6 is also
getting off the ground with all the grace of a herniated turkey.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Dang! I wanted lots of stuff exploding to add to the fireworks at
midnight. o_O

We had people at work j.i.c and I was on call. When the band played Auld
Lang Syne at the First Night finale and the lights didn't go out, I figured
I could go home and go to bed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 8/7/2013 9:13 PM, rbowman wrote:
Winston_Smith wrote:

"None" is an overstatement. There wasn't much but there was some. We
spent a lot of time where I worked testing stuff and upgrading as
necessary. MS put out patches on DOS. It would have been a bit more of
a problem if the "alarmists" hadn't blackmailed the "nay sayers" into
taking the problem seriously before hand.

We would have had a few cosmetic problems but nothing drastic. Probably the
greatest inconvenience was to our clients. Most were running AIX on RS6000
boxes that were too old to run the distro IBM patched.

The Unix time thing will have a lot more impact but I don't plan to be
coding when the industry gets around to panicking for that one. IPv6 is also
getting off the ground with all the grace of a herniated turkey.

Heck, you was workin on dat big ol stuff, I were fixin cumputers fo all
dem po folks. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

PLEASE share THAT XRay!!!

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:07:36 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Sew some wire mesh into your shirt, and then
loudly demand to be defibrillated?

I fashioned some 60/40 solder between masking tape,
and made a white image of "OUT TO LUNCH" in one of
my chest Xrays. Got the idea when a friend of my
Dad did the same thing with chewing gum wrappers.
Or, so I'm told.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Dang! I wanted lots of stuff exploding to add to the fireworks at
midnight. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

It was done in about 1978 or so, I doubt the
hospital still has it available.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

I fashioned some 60/40 solder between masking tape,
and made a white image of "OUT TO LUNCH" in one of
my chest Xrays. Got the idea when a friend of my
Dad did the same thing with chewing gum wrappers.
Or, so I'm told.

.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 20:13:44 -0600, rbowman wrote:
Winston_Smith wrote:

"None" is an overstatement. There wasn't much but there was some. We
spent a lot of time where I worked testing stuff and upgrading as
necessary. MS put out patches on DOS. It would have been a bit more of
a problem if the "alarmists" hadn't blackmailed the "nay sayers" into
taking the problem seriously before hand.

We would have had a few cosmetic problems but nothing drastic. Probably the
greatest inconvenience was to our clients. Most were running AIX on RS6000
boxes that were too old to run the distro IBM patched.

The fact that my employer was running Win3 on DOS in the year 2000,
tells you a lot about how up to date and modern their hardware was
going into it. I designed and built those systems - hardware, optics,
and software - when Win3 was the latest and greatest thing. Luckily
they had a production glitch and so no product to test. I was able to
run a simulation over a couple weeks bridging a synthetic Y2K and
prove the hardware and my software wouldn't be a problem. They didn't
replace the systems until 2010. Company motto was something like
yesterday's technology tomorrow.

The Unix time thing will have a lot more impact but I don't plan to be
coding when the industry gets around to panicking for that one. IPv6 is also
getting off the ground with all the grace of a herniated turkey.

With any luck, one of the meteor strikes will happen and spare us
problems like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

CE. I suppose I Like PC-BSD because I'm a little devil instead of a
penguin. ^_^

Gotta admit that was good - Tux is cuter

But I gotta pitchfork and the girls are hotter. ^_^

https://tinyurl.com/5relfd

Good; truly! And, Linux chicks aren't bad either ...
http://linux-chicks.arny.ro/

No fair, they don't look like penguins, they're cuter. ^_^

TDD

Which are cuter?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Energizer did send a postpaid card, and sent
back the batteries that were affected.

Duracell, didn't have enough leakers to send
back.

Rayovac promised to replace the leaky cells,
and their reply is still in the post, I'd
guess. They didn't say if they were sending
batteries, coupons, or debit card.

Harbor Freight. Had a box of six D cells, all
leaked. They swapped them out for new, on the
spot in the retail store.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
August 17, 2013

Rayovac sent a polite letter. The C cells were
out of date, but as a courtesy, they enclosed
several coupons for more batteries. Say they are
replacing the D cells, separate shipment.
On 7/29/2013 6:54 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
July 29, 2013

Rayovac wrote back. Asked the dates on the batteries. Sending a return
packing slip.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default ETQ generator follow up

Saturday August 17, 2013

Bought some ethanol free 91 octane, a day or two ago.
Mix with the two cycle oil.

Poured into the ETQ generator, and set the choke.
Started on 5th pull. Nice!

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default ETQ generator follow up two

A couple hours later, carried the generator out
side again. Started, with choke, two pulls.

I guess the weak gas had some to do with it.

Thanks to all who helped.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/17/2013 2:44 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Saturday August 17, 2013

Bought some ethanol free 91 octane, a day or two ago.
Mix with the two cycle oil.

Poured into the ETQ generator, and set the choke.
Started on 5th pull. Nice!

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 8/17/2013 7:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A couple hours later, carried the generator out side again. Started,
with choke, two pulls.

I guess the weak gas had some to do with it.

Thanks to all who helped.

It's well known that gasoline contaminated with corn juice by government
mandate has been screwing up small engines all over the country. Just
another unintended consequence of government stupidity and legislation
based on junk science. The Greenie Weenies never thought corn turned
into fuel would take away food from starving children in undeveloped
countries. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 8/17/2013 7:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A couple hours later, carried the generator out side again. Started,
with choke, two pulls.

I guess the weak gas had some to do with it.

Thanks to all who helped.

It's well known that gasoline contaminated with corn juice by government
mandate has been screwing up small engines all over the country. Just
another unintended consequence of government stupidity and legislation
based on junk science. The Greenie Weenies never thought corn turned
into fuel would take away food from starving children in undeveloped
countries. O_o

Hey, DD

Did you ever stop and think that you too could be green and save electrons?

Had you just said, "The Greenie Weenies never thought..." you would have
used a helluva lot less electrons and probably been a lot more accurate
in your statement. Fact is, had you said "The government and the
Greenie Weenies never thought..." you would have been dead nuts on MOST
thingsg

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

I've heard of at least a few engines that have been damaged by the
ethanol content. I've also heard there is a push to go to to E15, if
it's not working, do it harder, faster, more.

Starving children in foreign countries don't vote Democrat?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

It's well known that gasoline contaminated with corn juice by government
mandate has been screwing up small engines all over the country. Just
another unintended consequence of government stupidity and legislation
based on junk science. The Greenie Weenies never thought corn turned
into fuel would take away food from starving children in undeveloped
countries. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

One little known fact, Dufas is one of the most ecological
people I've met. He uses post consumer recycled electrons
for most of his posts, and his carbon footprint is one of
the most distinctive I've seen. As to recycled electrons,
he's taken that to heart a couple times, while in tachy-
cardia and V-fib. Shocking!

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

based on junk science. The Greenie Weenies never thought corn turned
into fuel would take away food from starving children in undeveloped
countries. O_o

Hey, DD

Did you ever stop and think that you too could be green and save electrons?

Had you just said, "The Greenie Weenies never thought..." you would have
used a helluva lot less electrons and probably been a lot more accurate
in your statement. Fact is, had you said "The government and the
Greenie Weenies never thought..." you would have been dead nuts on MOST
thingsg

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

[...]

Perhaps you didn't grok my post. A lot of legislation is based on junk
science promoted by Greenie Weenies who somehow lobby legislators with
no telling what. Perhaps those nature girls are really wild in bed. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

I think a lot has to do with being fat, and over fed.
When people work for a living, they are more likely to
see clearly and make sense. When they get into secure,
tenured jobs with plenty of perks, they have to
legislate to fight boredom. Tilt windmills, and fight
for obscure causes.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Did you ever stop and think that you too could be green and save
electrons?

Had you just said, "The Greenie Weenies never thought..." you would have
used a helluva lot less electrons and probably been a lot more accurate
in your statement. Fact is, had you said "The government and the
Greenie Weenies never thought..." you would have been dead nuts on MOST
thingsg

Perhaps you didn't grok my post. A lot of legislation is based on junk
science promoted by Greenie Weenies who somehow lobby legislators with
no telling what. Perhaps those nature girls are really wild in bed. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 8/18/2013 2:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One little known fact, Dufas is one of the most ecological
people I've met. He uses post consumer recycled electrons
for most of his posts, and his carbon footprint is one of
the most distinctive I've seen. As to recycled electrons,
he's taken that to heart a couple times, while in tachy-
cardia and V-fib. Shocking!

I have a lower "carbon footprint" than most folks even though I wear a
size 14 shoe. Most of the computer equipment I use is a collection of
dumpster rescues and trash pile finds. I'm using a Dell Precision
Workstation that was intercepted before being tossed in a dumpster along
with a wireless N router we use here in the office. I have laser
printers, inkjet printers, switches, routers and wireless gear that was
tossed by someone because they wanted the latest thing. Most of it works
or needs only simple repairs. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:20:20 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Starving children in foreign countries don't vote Democrat?

I really wonder if you "ever" had "any" thought process...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2013 3:20 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard of at least a few engines that have been damaged by the ethanol content. I've also heard there is a push to go to to E15, if it's not working, do it harder, faster, more.

Every power equipment dealer I've spoken with, except John Deere, has told me that ethanol gas is harmful to small engines.

I suspect Deere is mum on the subject because the corn farmer is Deere's cash cow.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 23:16:40 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/17/2013 7:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A couple hours later, carried the generator out side again. Started,
with choke, two pulls.

I guess the weak gas had some to do with it.

Thanks to all who helped.

It's well known that gasoline contaminated with corn juice by government
mandate has been screwing up small engines all over the country. Just
another unintended consequence of government stupidity and legislation
based on junk science. The Greenie Weenies never thought corn turned
into fuel would take away food from starving children in undeveloped
countries. O_o

Worse than just starving children in undeveloped countries. It
replaced other crops on millions of acres based on simple economics -
it sold for fuel prices instead of food prices. And then corn for food
cost more too. And a huge part of the American diet is derived from
corn, if not directly, then as one bi-product or another. So corn fuel
cost as much as dinosaur fuel. And the price of corn went up in the
countries with starving children. And it's a water hog at a time when
farmers are facing depleting aquifers and drought. And it depletes the
soil even faster than other monoculture farmed crops.

The Greenie Weeinies simply thought it was too good to feed to cows
(who farted greenhouse gas) when we could save the planet by taking
meat off everyone's table (ending heart attacks and obesity) and
provide fuel for free.

Ah, ain't theory wonderful?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 03:20:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I've heard of at least a few engines that have been damaged by the
ethanol content.

What's the mechanism?

The original hit on gasohol was that it attacked rubber parts in the
fuel system. Not the engine itself, but fuel lines, pumps, gaskets.

The car makers changed composition ten or twenty years ago so that's
not a problem with anything but a vintage car.

What's the new problem?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 04:46:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When they get into secure,
tenured jobs with plenty of perks, they have to
legislate to fight boredom. Tilt windmills, and fight
for obscure causes.

More like they have to pass the sweetheart legislation the the
lobbyists who paid for their campaigns want. It's very simply a
service for a fee process. The only losers are the sheeple.

Most "green", "save the planet" legislation is supported by herds of
useful idiots with good intentions, if limited understanding, but they
are written by some industry for the simple, immediate objective of
making more money. There is a reason Al Gore has all his money in
"green" technologies that would never be profitable if the century old
technology it's to replace were not outlawed.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Rubber parts was the problem. Who can tell?
Always something out there to go wrong.
I'd heard about small engines, lately, having
alcohol problems. They get drunk, lose their
gaskets, and don't work any more. Demon rum.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

I've heard of at least a few engines that have been damaged by the
ethanol content.

What's the mechanism?

The original hit on gasohol was that it attacked rubber parts in the
fuel system. Not the engine itself, but fuel lines, pumps, gaskets.

The car makers changed composition ten or twenty years ago so that's
not a problem with anything but a vintage car.

What's the new problem?

Worthless 1yr warranties Michael Kilpatrick[_2_] UK diy 46 July 9th 12 10:03 PM
cooker warranties TMC[_2_] UK diy 16 June 8th 12 05:43 PM
OT - Sam's Club warranties? Al Patrick Metalworking 28 August 2nd 08 12:08 AM
warranties stevie Home Repair 16 February 18th 06 04:48 AM
Supplier's Warranties sam-hood @ 1rogers.com Metalworking 1 January 13th 04 03:08 AM