DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Battery Warranties (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/360427-battery-warranties.html)

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 28th 13 12:30 AM

Battery Warranties

Saturday July 27, 2013

Went to the shelf, and found some leaky batteries. The folks on alt surv
will find this to be no surprise.

Fire up the computer, and try to contact the three companies. Energizer
and Rayovac let me fill out the form, and will contact me some time via
email.

Duracell insisted to know the month and year of my birth which is none
of thier damn business. I put "something" in. They now say I'm not
eligible to contact them. After a long search, I found they are part of
Proctor and Gamble, and got a mailing adress. I'll see if I can find a
customer service number, and phone them on Monday. At present, I'm not
all that impressed with Duracell customer no-service.

I had a system crash, and using a far less friendly email program to
post to usenet. I'm not a happy computer. Wishing for XP and Outlook
Express, back.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Winston_Smith[_4_] July 28th 13 12:55 AM

Battery Warranties

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:30:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Went to the shelf, and found some leaky batteries. The folks on alt surv
will find this to be no surprise.

The question is why do you have so much battery problems. The only
ones I've ever had go bad were way beyond any reasonable shelf life.

Are these the one-use batteries you insist on trying to recharge?

[email protected] July 28th 13 02:43 AM

Battery Warranties

wrote:

[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

buy a copy of MS outlook. It will be a lot better than Blunderbird.
If you can get Outlook XP (2003) it is the closest to oputlook
express, the most reliable, and not as complex as 2007 +.

For your use XP 2002 would do just fine - 2003 is better when used in
a corporate environment (and I prefer it al - round)

You can usually buy a legit pack of outlook, or even office (with
outlook) pretty reasonably on Flea-Bay.. Currently office XP Pro on
for $17 to $60.

[email protected] July 28th 13 02:44 AM

Battery Warranties

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:55:38 -0700, Winston_Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:30:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Went to the shelf, and found some leaky batteries. The folks on alt surv
will find this to be no surprise.

The question is why do you have so much battery problems. The only
ones I've ever had go bad were way beyond any reasonable shelf life.

Are these the one-use batteries you insist on trying to recharge?

Or batteries stored in a hot humid environment????

I have not had 2 leakers in the lat 20 years.

Winston_Smith[_4_] July 28th 13 03:32 AM

Battery Warranties

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:43:02 -0400, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:30:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a system crash, and using a far less friendly email program to
post to usenet. I'm not a happy computer. Wishing for XP and Outlook
Express, back.

buy a copy of MS outlook. It will be a lot better than Blunderbird.
If you can get Outlook XP (2003) it is the closest to oputlook
express, the most reliable, and not as complex as 2007 +.

Stormin' uses OE for usenet newsgroups. My Outlook 2003 only does
e-mail, not usenet.

You can usually buy a legit pack of outlook, or even office (with
outlook) pretty reasonably on Flea-Bay.. Currently office XP Pro on
for $17 to $60.

It came free on a CD with a couple items I've bought over the years,
particularly Dell Pocket PCs. There must be ton of those disks
floating around the used market/thrift stores/net auction sites.

Ed Pawlowski July 28th 13 04:42 AM

Battery Warranties

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:43:02 -0400, wrote:

.

buy a copy of MS outlook. It will be a lot better than Blunderbird.
If you can get Outlook XP (2003) it is the closest to oputlook
express, the most reliable, and not as complex as 2007 +.

For your use XP 2002 would do just fine - 2003 is better when used in
a corporate environment (and I prefer it al - round)

You can usually buy a legit pack of outlook, or even office (with
outlook) pretty reasonably on Flea-Bay.. Currently office XP Pro on
for $17 to $60.

Will they run with Win7? We upgraded to Win7 at work and had to
upgrade a couple of programs with it.

rbowman July 28th 13 05:37 AM

Battery Warranties

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a system crash, and using a far less friendly email program to
post to usenet. I'm not a happy computer. Wishing for XP and Outlook
Express, back.

You want a 10 year old OS to match your 10 year old batteries? Have you
considered Windows 7 if the box can support it? I use Windows 2000, XP and 7
on a daily basis. They all work, although 2000 not only isn't supported by
M$, but many current applications won't even install. XP has been granted a
reprieve several times but it is headed to the same dead end.

I would not recommend 8 until they figure out what they are doing but it is
also usable after you figure out the tricks to undo the shambles M$ made out
of the UI.

Time moves on. If you can't run with the big dogs...

Tony Hwang July 28th 13 05:45 AM

Battery Warranties

rbowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a system crash, and using a far less friendly email program to
post to usenet. I'm not a happy computer. Wishing for XP and Outlook
Express, back.

You want a 10 year old OS to match your 10 year old batteries? Have you
considered Windows 7 if the box can support it? I use Windows 2000, XP and 7
on a daily basis. They all work, although 2000 not only isn't supported by
M$, but many current applications won't even install. XP has been granted a
reprieve several times but it is headed to the same dead end.

I would not recommend 8 until they figure out what they are doing but it is
also usable after you figure out the tricks to undo the shambles M$ made out
of the UI.

Time moves on. If you can't run with the big dogs...

Hmmm.
Then shoot the big dog and run with Linux. Good OS to test your IQ?
I am a fan of Ubuntu. Mint.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 28th 13 10:43 AM

Battery Warranties

I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've
got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue
to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 28th 13 10:47 AM

Battery Warranties

Have to ask a couple friends about that. Interesting idea. Thank you.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

CRNG[_2_] July 28th 13 12:39 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:43:02 -0400, wrote in
Re Battery
Warranties:

buy a copy of MS outlook. It will be a lot better than Blunderbird.
If you can get Outlook XP (2003) it is the closest to oputlook
express, the most reliable, and not as complex as 2007 +.

Or try an even better email/usenet client

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

and visit

alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

Ed Pawlowski July 28th 13 12:52 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 05:43:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've
got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue
to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.

.

Forget W7 then. Some motherboards won't support it either. You may
want to consider upgrading the ram anyway. Performance will increase
considerably and it is not all that expensive. 4 Gig works great.

Bob_Villa July 28th 13 01:13 PM

Battery Warranties

wrote:

I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've

got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue

to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.

.

Forget W7 then. Some motherboards won't support it either. You may

want to consider upgrading the ram anyway. Performance will increase

considerably and it is not all that expensive. 4 Gig works great.

RAM is only "reasonable" with present technology (DDR3). Try pricing DDR or DDR2 anywhere!
As far as old stuff running W7...I have a 9 yr old Dell 8400 P-4,3GHz with 1.5Gb of DDR2 and it runs very nicely.

micky July 28th 13 01:32 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 22:37:35 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a system crash, and using a far less friendly email program to
post to usenet. I'm not a happy computer. Wishing for XP and Outlook
Express, back.

You want a 10 year old OS to match your 10 year old batteries? Have you
considered Windows 7 if the box can support it? I use Windows 2000, XP and 7
on a daily basis. They all work, although 2000 not only isn't supported by
M$, but many current applications won't even install. XP has been granted a
reprieve several times but it is headed to the same dead end.

I used to get security updates every week for XP. As of about 3
months ago, I rarely get them. Is that because they are dropping
support?

micky July 28th 13 01:34 PM

Battery Warranties

wrote:

I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've

got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue

to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.

.

Forget W7 then. Some motherboards won't support it either. You may

want to consider upgrading the ram anyway. Performance will increase

considerably and it is not all that expensive. 4 Gig works great.

RAM is only "reasonable" with present technology (DDR3). Try pricing DDR or DDR2 anywhere!

Yes, Everything else gets cheap when most people don't use it anymore,
but I've found RAM to be an exception. How did the makers and
sellers do that?

As far as old stuff running W7...I have a 9 yr old Dell 8400 P-4,3GHz with 1.5Gb of DDR2 and it runs very nicely.

Pete C.[_3_] July 28th 13 01:49 PM

Battery Warranties

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Saturday July 27, 2013

Went to the shelf, and found some leaky batteries. The folks on alt surv
will find this to be no surprise.

Fire up the computer, and try to contact the three companies. Energizer
and Rayovac let me fill out the form, and will contact me some time via
email.

Duracell insisted to know the month and year of my birth which is none
of thier damn business. I put "something" in. They now say I'm not
eligible to contact them. After a long search, I found they are part of
Proctor and Gamble, and got a mailing adress. I'll see if I can find a
customer service number, and phone them on Monday. At present, I'm not
all that impressed with Duracell customer no-service.

I've had no issue at all with Duracell warranty replacement of an item
damaged by leaking batteries. I called them, they sent some paperwork
and a prepaid mailer pack, I sent the device in with leaking batteries
in place, and a couple weeks later they sent me a check for the cost of
replacing the device, along with a coupon for new batteries. No
complaints.

woodchucker[_3_] July 28th 13 01:50 PM

Battery Warranties

wrote:

[...]

Your kidding right?
I use outlook at work, not half the program that TBIRD is.
Outlook is very limited.

As far as batteries going bad, the only ones I have had go bad (leak)
are Eveready, my Duracell don't leak...

--
Jeff

Bob_Villa July 28th 13 02:16 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:34:19 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 05:13:35 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

Yes, Everything else gets cheap when most people don't use it anymore,

but I've found RAM to be an exception. How did the makers and

sellers do that?

AFAIC it has to do with price fixing...either you pay or consider buying a newer PC. It tells you to get 4X what you think you need at the time!
The cheapest/reliable place I have found for tested/used RAM http://www.oempcworld.com/OEMPCworld-com/200pin.html

dadiOH[_3_] July 28th 13 02:19 PM

Battery Warranties

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

I was perfectly happy
with XP, wish they would continue to support it.

So go back to it, doesn't matter if MS "supports" it or not.

Consider...

MS has been spewing out DOS/OS programs since the early 80s when they got
lucky and got an IBM contract. I never used their DOS systems but have used
Win 3.1, 95A, 95B, 98, XP and 8. They all needed "security updates". IOW,
over the last 20 or so years, MS couldn't come up with a secure, error free
OS out of the box. What makes you think their updates are any better?

My XP is SP3 and the only reason it is is because certain programs I use
needed it. Other than that, I have never installed any MS updates. And
when the free Win 8.1 becomes available I won't be getting it either; my Win
8 looks and functions like XP. Main difference between the two (on my box)
is that Win8 sucks up 16 GB - SIXTEEN GIGABYTES! - of disk space compared to
1 GB for XP. IIRC, Win7 uses about 7-8 GB.

Can you say, "Bloat?".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Bob_Villa July 28th 13 02:39 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:19:47 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

....and when they had to write compact code because memory was limited...they did it!
There were/are some nifty DOS games that worked on 8Mb of RAM and a 30Mb HDD! Note Megabyte!

Ed Pawlowski July 28th 13 03:19 PM

Battery Warranties

wrote:

RAM is only "reasonable" with present technology (DDR3). Try pricing DDR or DDR2 anywhere!
As far as old stuff running W7...I have a 9 yr old Dell 8400 P-4,3GHz with 1.5Gb of DDR2 and it runs very nicely.

So you think $10.99 a gig is unreasonable? Even $16.99 is not so bad
http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=720

DDR is $17. Making an old computer into a screamer for $50 is not a
bad deal, IMO.

Ed Pawlowski July 28th 13 03:25 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:32:02 -0400, micky
wrote:

I used to get security updates every week for XP. As of about 3
months ago, I rarely get them. Is that because they are dropping
support?

No, they finally perfected it and closed every possible entry. XP
will now run trouble free for decades.

My guess the hackers and now concentrating on W7 and W8. They go where
the volume is and can have the most devastating effects. Mac and
Linux are not trouble free, they just don't have the installed base to
attract as many hacker fans.

Bob_Villa July 28th 13 03:49 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:19:20 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

DDR is $17. Making an old computer into a screamer for $50 is not a

bad deal, IMO.

You're not going to make any PC running XP into a "screamer" by doing whatever!
(the prices from your source are almost as good as mine!)

Winston_Smith[_4_] July 28th 13 03:54 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:19:47 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

MS has been spewing out DOS/OS programs since the early 80s when they got
lucky and got an IBM contract. I never used their DOS systems but have used
Win 3.1, 95A, 95B, 98, XP and 8.

Just FYI. If you used Win3.1, you used DOS. Win3_1 was not an
operating system, just a graphical interface on DOS. You had to first
have DOS on the machine to install Win.

Win95 was the first complete in itself OS and even then you could find
a directory called something like DOS7,

Winston_Smith[_4_] July 28th 13 04:05 PM

Battery Warranties

wrote:

I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue
to support it.

The DO still support it.

Ed Pawlowski July 28th 13 04:29 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 07:49:39 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa
wrote:

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:19:20 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

DDR is $17. Making an old computer into a screamer for $50 is not a

bad deal, IMO.

You're not going to make any PC running XP into a "screamer" by doing whatever!
(the prices from your source are almost as good as mine!)

Everything is relative. OK, it may not scream, but at least it will
moan louder. And boot in under 20 minutes.

The Daring Dufas[_8_] July 28th 13 04:40 PM

Battery Warranties

On 7/28/2013 10:06 AM, H.I.T.man wrote:
Anno Domini 2013-07-28, Tony Hwang was caught saying:
rbowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Only problem with the idea is "you can lead a Windows user to Linux,
but you can't made 'em think".

I like PC-BSD, it's fairly bulletproof and very hard to crash. It's
getting better all the time as more apps will work with it. ^_^

http://www.pcbsd.org/

TDD

rbowman July 28th 13 06:11 PM

Battery Warranties

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've
got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue
to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...m-requirements

Go 32 bit even if your box is 64 bit. Someday many apps will be 64 bit only
but we ain't there yet.

Bob_Villa July 28th 13 06:17 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:11:02 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've

got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue

to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...m-requirements

Go 32 bit even if your box is 64 bit. Someday many apps will be 64 bit only

but we ain't there yet.

Windows 32-bit has a access limit of 3-3.5Gb so you should go with 64-bit regardless.

rbowman July 28th 13 06:18 PM

Battery Warranties

Tony Hwang wrote:

Then shoot the big dog and run with Linux. Good OS to test your IQ?
I am a fan of Ubuntu. Mint.

Stormin might be able to cope with Ubuntu. He might even be able to get his
beloved OE to run under Wine. I've been using Linux since the days when
Slackware required about three boxes of 3 1/4" floppies and this is being
sent from KNode.

Unfortunately, I'm a programmer and our customer base prefers Windows. We
tried to promote a Linux solution after the cost of AIX boxes became
ridiculous compared to generic x86 boxes, but the fish weren't biting.

I've been doing this since the System 360/30 days and all I have learned
from the experience is some OS's suck more than others but all of them are
more or less usable.

micky July 28th 13 08:33 PM

Battery Warranties

wrote:

I used to get security updates every week for XP. As of about 3
months ago, I rarely get them. Is that because they are dropping
support?

No, they finally perfected it and closed every possible entry. XP
will now run trouble free for decades.

Whew! That's good to know. Thanks.

My guess the hackers and now concentrating on W7 and W8. They go where
the volume is and can have the most devastating effects. Mac and
Linux are not trouble free, they just don't have the installed base to
attract as many hacker fans.

BTW, you were kidding and so was I up above.

[email protected] July 28th 13 09:20 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 23:42:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:43:02 -0400, wrote:

.

buy a copy of MS outlook. It will be a lot better than Blunderbird.
If you can get Outlook XP (2003) it is the closest to oputlook
express, the most reliable, and not as complex as 2007 +.

For your use XP 2002 would do just fine - 2003 is better when used in
a corporate environment (and I prefer it al - round)

You can usually buy a legit pack of outlook, or even office (with
outlook) pretty reasonably on Flea-Bay.. Currently office XP Pro on
for $17 to $60.

Will they run with Win7? We upgraded to Win7 at work and had to
upgrade a couple of programs with it.

Will definitely run with win7 (and win8)

[email protected] July 28th 13 09:28 PM

Battery Warranties

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 06:39:50 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:43:02 -0400, wrote in
Re Battery
Warranties:

buy a copy of MS outlook. It will be a lot better than Blunderbird.
If you can get Outlook XP (2003) it is the closest to oputlook
express, the most reliable, and not as complex as 2007 +.

Or try an even better email/usenet client

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

and visit

alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

I use Agent for usenet.

[email protected] July 28th 13 09:28 PM

Battery Warranties

wrote:

I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've
got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue
to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.

.

Forget W7 then. Some motherboards won't support it either. You may
want to consider upgrading the ram anyway. Performance will increase
considerably and it is not all that expensive. 4 Gig works great.

If the system/device is not on the Win7 compatability list, don't
even waste your time fooling with it.

[email protected] July 28th 13 09:33 PM

Battery Warranties

wrote:

I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've

got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue

to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.

.

Forget W7 then. Some motherboards won't support it either. You may

want to consider upgrading the ram anyway. Performance will increase

considerably and it is not all that expensive. 4 Gig works great.

RAM is only "reasonable" with present technology (DDR3). Try pricing DDR or DDR2 anywhere!

Yes, Everything else gets cheap when most people don't use it anymore,
but I've found RAM to be an exception. How did the makers and
sellers do that?

When it is not used in huge quantities most manufacturers stop making
it - which puts the price on what is still available way up - because
they don't make enough of it to keep the price per unit down.

The Daring Dufas[_8_] July 28th 13 10:02 PM

Battery Warranties

On 7/28/2013 3:41 PM, H.I.T.man wrote:
Anno Domini 2013-07-28, The Daring Dufas was caught saying:
On 7/28/2013 10:06 AM, H.I.T.man wrote:

... "you can lead a Windows user to Linux, but you can't made 'em think".

I like PC-BSD, it's fairly bulletproof and very hard to crash. It's
getting better all the time as more apps will work with it. ^_^

http://www.pcbsd.org/

TDD

Looked at FBSD a couple of times but decided to stay with Linux since I
am happy. Been pleased with Linux (mostly Debian Debian-based) distros
for a dozen years. #! is my favourite.

Some of the systems I service have imbedded Linux if not imbedded XP or
CE. I suppose I Like PC-BSD because I'm a little devil instead of a
penguin. ^_^

TDD

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 28th 13 10:06 PM

Battery Warranties

I did send in a leak damaged device with Duras, and they were good. I'll
try and get a contact phone number, Monday.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

The Daring Dufas[_8_] July 28th 13 10:46 PM

Battery Warranties

On 7/28/2013 4:28 PM, H.I.T.man wrote:
Anno Domini 2013-07-28, The Daring Dufas was caught saying:
On 7/28/2013 3:41 PM, H.I.T.man wrote:
Anno Domini 2013-07-28, The Daring Dufas was caught saying:

Looked at FBSD a couple of times but decided to stay with Linux since I
am happy. Been pleased with Linux (mostly Debian Debian-based) distros
for a dozen years. #! is my favourite.

Some of the systems I service have imbedded Linux if not imbedded XP or
CE. I suppose I Like PC-BSD because I'm a little devil instead of a
penguin. ^_^

Gotta admit that was good - Tux is cuter ;)

But I gotta pitchfork and the girls are hotter. ^_^

https://tinyurl.com/5relfd

TDD

Country Carpenter July 29th 13 12:09 AM

Battery Warranties

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 6:33:36 PM UTC-4, H.I.T.man wrote:
Anno Domini 2013-07-28, The Daring Dufas was caught saying:

On 7/28/2013 4:28 PM, H.I.T.man wrote:

Anno Domini 2013-07-28, The Daring Dufas was caught saying:

Some of the systems I service have imbedded Linux if not imbedded XP or

CE. I suppose I Like PC-BSD because I'm a little devil instead of a

penguin. ^_^

Gotta admit that was good - Tux is cuter ;)

But I gotta pitchfork and the girls are hotter. ^_^

https://tinyurl.com/5relfd

Good; truly! And, Linux chicks aren't bad either ...

http://linux-chicks.arny.ro/

--

H.I.T.man

"I thank God that I have lived to see my country independent and free. She may

long enjoy her independence and freedom if she will. It depends on her

virtue." - Samuel Adams

Let US hope George H W Bush see a nuclear explosion in his backyard before the piece of **** croaks.

Violently Overthrow the US Government

Bob_Villa July 29th 13 12:35 AM